Jump to content

BTH

Member
  • Content count

    13656
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

BTH last won the day on April 24 2012

BTH had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

12 Good

6 Followers

About BTH

  • Rank
    NHL Hall of Fame
  • Birthday 05/21/91

Previous Fields

  • Favourite Habs
    Carey Price, Tomas Plekanec, PK Subban, Josh Gorges

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Greater Montreal Area
  1. Offensive Tattoo Question

    Never heard of this before.
  2. Fail For Nail Campaign

    Even with Markov, the Habs need another 20+ minute d-man (Gill wouldn't be bad). Even with a top 3 NHL-ready pick, the Habs need another first line forward. And then they can contend for the Cup, I guess. Markov, the pick, and a decent d-man alone should be enough to make the playoffs next year. I don't think they'll find the first line forward but they'll have quite a bit of depth and quite a bit of youth. For a 28th overall team, the Habs have a lot of pieces to work with. They definitely have a shot to rebound into the playoffs next year. This season will have been worth it if it brings the Habs a franchise forward.
  3. 2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

    I checked the standings yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see the Habs in 15th in the East and 28th overall. Keep up the good work, guys.
  4. The Conehead of Silence

    Maybe writing more nonsense about the Habs is what he meant by "science fiction" writing.
  5. The Conehead of Silence

    Maybe they're right, maybe they aren't, but their primary interest is themselves, not the team, so their complaining about Gauthier's privacy being bad for the team is just annoying to me, especially coming from someone as contemptible as Jack Todd. Their complaints would be better received if they weren't so blatantly entangled with ulterior motives. The case to fire Gauthier could feature so many better arguments than Todd is capable of making.
  6. Carter to Habs picking up steam?

    If Markov comes back, I think Gomez is the only crippling contract Montreal has, and he's almost definitely gone next year. Kaberle, Plekanec, Cole, Kostitsyn, and Gionta all have decent contracts to me (with Gionta's being the worst but still nothing 29 other teams don't also deal with). I wonder if Eller and Kostitsyn alone could be enough to get Carter..
  7. Carter to Habs picking up steam?

    They need Carter AND Plekanec but I don't know what Montreal would trade. Eller, Kostitsyn + a 1st next year (banking on the Habs being improved with Carter)?
  8. The Conehead of Silence

    Jack Todd is a journalist. It's in his best interest to apply pressure on the GM to speak to the press more. His best interests is all he's thinking about.
  9. A player that's top 3 in his position becomes a UFA once every 5 to 10 years. The odds of acquiring one by trade aren't much better. You always have to wait for one of those players to suffer an injury, have an off-year, or develop a reputation for being a terrible team player before his team even considers trading him. I think almost every team in the league struggles to get elite players and big first line centers. Having drafted Koivu, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Leblanc, and signing Desharnais, I think Montreal's ability to develop centers in recent years has been pretty typical or mediocre. That's four guys right there who have proven to be capable of 50-70 points in the NHL. The Habs lost two of them because they were headcases. There are exceptions but if you want an 85+ point player, your best bet is to have a terrible season. An even better bet is to have multiple terrible seasons in a row like the Pens, Hawks, and Oilers did. If you're consistently in the playoffs, you can't expect to draft better than 2nd line players. You might luck out once every 5 years but you can't expect it.
  10. It's no surprise. Elite talent is rare when you don't pick in the top 10 of the draft. The only high pick Montreal's had in in years was Price and he turned out to be the cornerstone of the franchise. Finding Pacioretty and Subban in the late first and second respectively was a nice bonus but if you want an 85+ point center (there are what, 5-10 in the league?), you aren't likely to find one without a top 10 pick. This season they'll get a golden opportunity to turn their organization upside down. They need to draft one of those NHL ready stars that have been becoming more common in recent years. If they mess up this pick, they're screwed.
  11. 2011-12 NHL Season Thread

    How could it not be about politics when his stated reason for not going is political? Ouch. But I wouldn't be surprised if NHLers on average are significantly less liberal than the average Westerners.
  12. Nothing To Do With Anything

    By any chance are there any battle rap fans in here? It's been growing very quickly, I think KOTD has real potential to become a new WWE. The newest event was shot on the famous RED camera and the footage has become increasingly professional when you consider how far they've come in like 3 years. The new trailer they released tonight is incredible. And yes, that's Raekwon the Chef, co-hosting the event. Harley from Epic Meal Time also co-hosted. Classified was there too as a guest judge.
  13. There's nothing wrong with being an apologist for something you believe in. We have no reason to believe that Gauthier didn't get multiple opinions on Markov's health. We have no reason to assume that he was in any way more ignorant of Markov's condition than he should (as in could) have been. Recovery time is never foreseen with total accuracy, doctors are always dealing with probabilities. Suppose the doctors said a player in this state, recovering from this injury, after this much recovery time, etc, etc, will have a 85% chance of being ready to play NHL hockey by November if he follows X workout regimen. In this situation, signing Markov long term and (merely) bringing in Campoli to QB the PP until that time seems reasonable. There is a 85% chance that it will pay off. Of course, if that which has a 15% probability happens, we'll undoubtedly have people that claim the result was inevitable and that Gauthier should have seen it coming.
  14. All Purpose Gomez Thread

    lol You really think Scott Gomez is hanging out on Crescent street? What's he doing there, Brutopia trivia night?
  15. I agree with this. But even Gainey was pretty unpopular for his final two or three years as GM. You're exaggerating. His trades: 2nd for Dominic Moore 2nd for Wisniewski Spacek for Kaberle Halak for Eller+ D'Agostini for Palushaj Maxwell + 4th for Sopel and Dawes O'Byrne for whatever pick we got for him Lapierre for a 5th Russell for Blunden All of these are either great moves, good moves, or moves so small that they don't make much difference either way (the final five I listed). The Cammalleri trade was a good move for the organization, it's just disappointing because we have the feeling that he could have been worth more at the deadline. The Sergei Kostitsyn trade looks bad in hindsight but I remember it being popular at the time. Kostitsyn demanded a trade many times, openly had problems with the coach, was supposedly a cancer in the dressing room,and looked like a marginal NHLer on the ice. Most of us were happy to get rid of him, and I personally don't even regret the move. As for signings: He finally brought in Emelin. Brought Diaz too. Markov signing. Gorges re-signing. Gill re-signing. Cole signing. Boyd signing. Campoli signing. Nokelainen signing. Budaj signing. I support every one of these moves without resorting to hindsight (like Campoli getting seriously injured). They all made and make sense to me. The Markov one was risky, but again, the majority supported that move at the time it was made. Gauthier did not inspect Markov personally, he can, like every other GM, only base his decisions on the medical reports he's given, all of which said Markov would be back months ago. That isn't to say that it's the doctors' faults, just that Gauthier had no reason to expect a setback in Markov's recovery. He could have been more cautious but it certainly wasn't an obviously bad move, and still isn't. As for drafting, it's too early to tell. At the present time, there doesn't seem to be any major problems with the drafting since he became GM. What has he done well? Make sensible move after sensible move given the information available at the time. He hasn't been good at PR but no GM or coach would be in Montreal when the team is losing. For all the talk of him caving in to fan and media pressure, this is the guy that traded Halak when he was the hero of the city. edit - as for Gainey, I supported all his moves until he fired Carbonneau. After that, he went a bit crazy. Maybe the Martin firing was that point for Gauthier but I really suspect he was forced to fire Martin against his wishes.
×