How to build a Green, Car-free Community

Pierre the Great

Victoria needs less old people driving their 1985 El Dorado around like you get points for minor collisions.

theoretically if a line went out to my house (which it doesn't because 40% of the people here think it brings more black people into the white suburbs which to them means more crime apparently. But I've never seen a guy steal a TV and then use the metro to take it back into the city, but oh well whatever floats there boat I suppose)

You should understand the arguments that you make. Living in the burbs is expensive in part because you have to own, register, insure, repair and fuel a car. Add about at least $5000 per year to own and maitain a car. The real price is porbably more like $10, 000, after all the parking, the tickets, etc. So by eliminating the need for a car you make it a cheaper place to live.

People aren't affraid that other people with metro to their commonity, rob it, and then leave. They are affraid that less rich people will not be able to afford living in their area, and that their poor children will break in to their house for some money to buy some fresh duds, drugs, or to help pay for their car.

Not forgiving this argument, just understanding it.

On another issue, how many of you have spent real time riding a bike in MTL winters (I have), or spent a lot of time waiting for buses in MTL (I have), or have walked over 5 KMs every day in the WINTER (I have). It is very cold, and unless you are a poor student, it is very inpractical. Better light transit would be good .... but it would have to also be very cheap and efficient in order for it to be practical; and the cost of the car would have to sky rocket.

One of the reasons it works in Europe is that the cities are a lot smaller and more compact. Even the large cities are more compact. North America is all about the sprawl.

lol trust me Bacchus its racial hatred that has not caused this city to embrace public transit. This town is victim of the white flight. We are taught in schools not to go to the black areas and such. Its never going to work here because people are scared of black people. People now live 70 miles away from the downtown core. And its not because of cheap housing.

lol trust me Bacchus its racial hatred that has not caused this city to embrace public transit. This town is victim of the white flight. We are taught in schools not to go to the black areas and such. Its never going to work here because people are scared of black people. People now live 70 miles away from the downtown core. And its not because of cheap housing.

I never said anything about racism.

However, people may live 70 miles away, but a lot more live within a 10 KM radius of Mt-Royal ... WAY more.

I'd live 100 KM away in the country side too, if I could. But that is because I like the country side, and I don't like crack heads and some of the other problems with the city. I'd still want a pied-a-terre in MTL ... but none of this is racially motivated.

People in Quebec schools are taught to fear black people? I'm shocked. I have never heard this before. I'd like to hear from some of our franco community on that point.

Mass transportation was done out by cheap cars. Now the cost to install new mass transportation is huge, and no politician wants it on his/her budget. Also, since the city is set up for cars, and not mass transport, either you have to build underground (very expensive), you have to take away parking space from cars (gets shop keepers mad & is slow because it gets stuck in traffic). These are the real issues IMO. Never seen or heard the race card been played in this situation.

I live in Saint Louis Missouri Bacchus

We have racial problems

Saint Louis in 1960 had 800,000 people. Then the civil rights era came

1970: 600,000

1980: 400,000

1990: 300,000

2000: its under 300k but officially they say its 323,000

They've all fled the city when the de-seg programs started.

If I lived in Saint Louis Missouri I'd fear blacks too. The US has treated non- white protestants so badly in the last few centuries that it is no doubt that they have been trained to live off society alternative ways, including using white protestants as a source of income.

Also, the stats on St-Louis are in part because St-Louis is one of those mid-American cities who have seen time pass it by. In New York you do not see the same thing happening.

Also, 1970s really saw the population of cars in North America rise. This made it easier to get to the burbs.

Saint Louis has a metro area of 2.5 million so it really hasn't 'pass it by'. Its still completely racist though.

Anti-catholic? lol not this town. The quiet revolution hasn't happened here. This is a huge catholic town. What the goofy archbishop says goes. He said people who vote democrat should not recieve communion because they are the devil.

All the hospitals here are catholic and if your condom breaks and need emergency contrecption they will deny you your rights. The pharamcies here don't give out the pill.

Uhm I just realized I don't know what you were saying. Have you ever grown up in a de-seg school? Highly doubtful. Have you been pulled over because your friend is black and you were driving around at night in a white area? Highly unlikely you have.

We were taught in school not to go into North Saint Louis because thats where the 'black people' live. You say you live in the city and people go 'are you safe, from the black people'. I went to an inner city school and I had to endure racial taunts because all my friends were black. I highly doubt you've been through that.