Game Thread | New York vs. Canadiens | 01/06/07

Spider-Man NL

Once again the team was awful at even strength.

Losers of 5 of their last 7 games. Am I out of P-E-R-S-P-E-C-T-I-V-E tonight also?

Kovavlev said it best at the beginning of the season. "Good teams don't have slumps". This team is great on special teams but they seriously need to find some scoring punch 5on5.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be Optimistic here

Yes some people played like shit...But they do have the Flu going around the dressing room

I look forward to tomorrow's match vs NJ

Good Effort and Good Game overall!

GO :hlogo: GO

Lets be Optimistic here

Yes some people played like shit...But they do have the Flu going around the dressing room

I look forward to tomorrow's match vs NJ

Good Effort and Good Game overall!

GO :hlogo: GO

They got the flu on Thursday...not 2 weeks ago.

I hate the sinking glum saturday loss feeling. Usually they win matinees. :(

But, if the Habs need to have dog winter days, now is the time. The flip side is, they can't afford too much more. However, this game was not a make or break losing the 4th seed in the conference or better.

Beating New Jersey will make me forget this loss.

Once again the team was awful at even strength.

Losers of 5 of their last 7 games. Am I out of P-E-R-S-P-E-C-T-I-V-E tonight also?

Kovavlev said it best at the beginning of the season. "Good teams don't have slumps". This team is great on special teams but they seriously need to find some scoring punch 5on5.

Care to show me an example of a good team then?

And yes your still out of perspective, 5 losses out of 7 games is really not a crisis over the course of an 82 game schedule, and although it might be lame, we have been hit by the flu in the last 2 losses and it played at least a small role in the last couple games.

I personally thinks that Markov, Streit and Rivet should be benched after this performance. We actually give them superb chances, they dont play to get those chances, we GIVE them to them.

Well... We played very well for about 10 minutes of this game... have to try to remember those 10 minutes. I hope this illnes go away soon.

Care to show me an example of a good team then?

And yes your still out of perspective, 5 losses out of 7 games is really not a crisis over the course of an 82 game schedule, and although it might be lame, we have been hit by the flu in the last 2 losses and it played at least a small role in the last couple games.

They were all against low seeded teams. Buffalo, Anaheim and Nashville are great examples. And Anaheim and Nashville were without there starting goalies for stretches.

Abby didn't suck, in fact, he kept them in this game. You let guys walk in and shoot from the top of the circle and they are going to get a lot of goals. Even Huet is a butterfly goalie vulnerable to the guys who can pick the top corner.

If Higgins or Ryder made those shots we would all be saying what snipers they are, but when it is the other team, our goalie sucks. Both plays were defensive breakdowns, first and foremost.

The only bad goal was the first PP goal from the point. Might have had that one. The other one, he was screened, no way he could see it.

For a backup goalie, he did okay. The fact is, the PK sucked tonight and the defensive breakdowns were numerous. Abby bailed them out several times.

Shame, but they just didn't have it. Perhaps if the ref didn't screw them on that disallowed goal, or maybe noticed all the holding by Ward.....

I'm actually not all that dissapointed...there was some positives to take from this game...hopefully they will step up tomorrow.

Edited by Talon

Abby played well for a team that did not play as a team till the second half the second period and then sat back again in the third.

We need a shake up soon and its coming.

Bonk got hurt and this will certain create a spot for a longer stint for Laps and Grabs! I for one am happy we are going through this now. We get a chance to fix it and get back to the system.

Coaching and GM and team chemistry has to take over NOW! its time to see what this team is all about. If we cannot make it through this we will not make it in the playoffs!

I know we lost but it wasn't so bad, we had our back up in, without our captain and playing some newbies. There are several good things to take from this game...

Grabs sounded like he was playing amazing

Plekanec had another multipoint game (a few more will silence the big mouths who are always ragging on him)

Souray tied the record for powerplay goals in a season

We only lost by one and managed to come back from down 2-0, nice to see they aren't giving up

We are finally getting some new lines together and trying some new chemistry, its just a shame we needed to lose 5 out of 7 and a flu outbreak for this change to happen

Bad things

Kovalev didn't seem to step it up at all

and Aebischer wasn't amazing (he was ok, not terrible just not great)

Grabs is gonna score for sure next game, Pleks is going to be just as good next game. He deserves the ice time with line mates other that Samsonov and Kovalev. I am not too disappointed.

What were the lines exactly? Could someone post those please.

They were all against low seeded teams. Buffalo, Anaheim and Nashville are great examples. And Anaheim and Nashville were without there starting goalies for stretches.

Nah the Ducks are no good, theyve lost 4 in a row right now.

Nashville lost 4 of 5 in early December = not a good team

Buffalo lost 3 of 4 right before Christmas and have lost 2 in a row right now.

So i guess there are no good teams left in the NHL anymore. Crazy.

The point is that the Habs were due for a mini-slump (yes 7 games is still considered a mini-slump). We just need to pull out of it sooner rather than later, and we will, dont you worry. Might not happen tomorrow afternoon against the Devils though because we all know how well we've played against them in recent years.

I know we lost but it wasn't so bad, we had our back up in, without our captain and playing some newbies. What were the lines exactly? Could someone post those please.

I think

Higgins/Plekanec/Ryder

Samsonov/Grabovski/Kovalev

Perezhogin/Bonk/Johnson

Dandenault/Laps/Striet maybe.....I feel like I'm missing a forward...

Bonk went down...so the lines changed.

Edited by Talon

I disagree. All teams have slumps, the good teams just make their slumps short.

Overall, I think there were both good and bad things to take from this game. Aside from the loss itself, the the thing that hurt the most was that Grabovski was robbed of his first NHL goal. I'm not sure that goal would have made a difference as far as this game goes, but regardless of that, he shouldn't have been robbed of his first NHL tally. :angry:

He wuz robbed. Apart from the outcome the future was on display. God it has been a long time since we have been able to graduate some solid prospects at forward. Note to Carbo please spend some time with Maxim Lapierre on the faceoffs, he was brutal, one faceoff won. Like him though..... I wonder if he is bilingual enough to stay.

I agree that this is not a "big" slump but the team has got to be accountable for their poor play. All teams go through diversity and many teams have lost star players this season dur to injuries. The Habs have been very lucky on the injury front. We all did not think it would last this long...but i wonder at what point we consider the team to be in a big slump.

It is also the wrong attitude to keep saying "I won't be worried if they lose to the Rangers cause of the flu" or "I expect the Devils will continue to own the Habs tommorow" If the Habs are the better team then they will find a way to win these games. Otherwise we are admitting to be a lesser team (IMO).

Losing happens but the team should never think it is acceptable. Pleks is a 3rd line centre, not a 1st...this weakness has to be rectified. (again IMO)

Once again the DUMBEST team in hockey strikes again. All hooking penalties tonight. Illness is an excuse not to play hard. They had a chance but instead of pooring it on after they tied it, they sat back and lost. That is getting old. The Habs really need to to figure out how to play hard for 60 minutes and score 5 on 5. (did i sauy that before?).

Good news:

PP

Goaltending was solid but not great

Grabovski (spelling) looked good and bad

Bad news:

PK awfull

Effort pathetric they played well for like 10 miutes in the second

Faceoffs pathetic

Is there anyone on the team who won a 1 on 1 battle

Tornovers Turnovers Turnovers

Too many penalties AGAIN

Ok....quit being so critical of the Canadiens...all of you. They Lost by 1 goal...Not 4 or 5...They played a good game...For those of you who didn't know, Sickness does affect your immune system, causing your cardiovascular and endurance levels to diminish. If we lose badly tomorrow afternoon, then I will agree, until then...Quit being so negative and critical. They were saying on CBC today that the Rangers lost 7 Straight when the team was struck with a flu, so why do we expect more out of a team that is wounded? I think sometimes Montreal Canadiens fans, and especially people on this board, have too high of expectations out of this team. You cant win all 82 games of the season, teams go in streaks, we will bounce right back to a positive note on Tuesday if we fail to do so tomorrow vs NJ.

Well, well, well ...

Miss you Saku ...

"Tricolore jusqu'au bout, surtout dans la défaite"

"Tricolore jusqu'au bout, surtout dans la défaite"

:hlogo: icon12.gif :hlogo:

I'd say this was a gutsy effort by the team, at least during the 2nd. Give them credit for fighting back. Grabovski looked great in between Kovalev and Samsonov (see, maybe Plekanec wasn't the right fit). Unfortunately it didn't work out in the end and we see just how much the team needs Koivu.

But boy, did Ninimaa look bad on the game winning goal. It was surreal when Aebischer just gave him the "I forgive you" look after the Rangers scored. Carbonneau said basically as much during the postgame interview.

Note to Carbo please spend some time with Maxim Lapierre on the faceoffs, he was brutal, one faceoff won. Like him though..... I wonder if he is bilingual enough to stay.

You talking about Lapierre or Grabovski?

You talking about Lapierre or Grabovski?

I think Grabs need to spend more time in Montreal to pickup french but I'm sure Laps has it down eH?

Anyone hear anything about Bonk? do we have an update on his injury?

Go Habs Go!

Edited by Chips