Most annoying driving habits

Cataclaw

What are the most annoying/frustrating driving acts you've seen on the road?

Share your stories here!

I don't know about you guys, but the #1 thing that bothers me when i drive is being tailgated. 90% of the time, the tailgaiting is unintentional and/or not of malice (someone merges into your lane, behind you, at a higher speed, someone's on their cell and not paying attention to their speed, etc.)

The other 10% truly piss me off. Just had an interesting encounter with a tailgater, as i was driving some friends to the metro station. Guy was so close to me, i could have sworn he was on top of me. Less than a car distance away, maybe less than half a car distance away. I pump my brakes twice to signal him to back off, and at the next stop sign i do a full 3 second stop for him to get the message. This apparently didn't work, as he only stuck to me even closer. I kid you not, he was 30cm behind me, and we were going 50. At the next stop, i stop for 5 seconds, and take the opportunity to look at him in the rear view and slowly and visibly mouth a "f$#! off". Right after that, before i even crossed the street, he drives on the sidewalk and passes me.

Can you believe that? ...

A lot of lunatics on the road, especially at night. Any of you had similar experiences?

(If you're wondering, after he sped off, i followed him, the pedal to the floor, caught him at a stop sign, but i didn't slow down until the last second, slammed the breaks + hand break and gave him a taste of his own medicine. I timed my move so that i went from 70-0 in a matter of meters, and our bumpers gently and harmlessly bumped. He got the message, lol. After, I quickly turned down another street so as to lose him. Always been the safest and most curteous driver in the world, but this time.. he just had it coming.) DISCLAIMER TO POLICE: The aforementioned story is entirely fiction. I actually sent the tailgater flowers and a greeting card. LOL!111

Edited by Cataclaw

** ------------------------------------------

~ * Quebec's Driver's New 2007 Handbook* ~

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A confident Quebec driver avoids using them.

2. Under no circumstance should you maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, because the space will be filled in by somebody else, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the less of a chance you have of getting hit.

4. Warning! Never come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will result in your being rear-ended.

5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially with NB or Ontario plates. With no insurance, the other operator has nothing to lose.

6. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a vigorous, foot massage as the brake pedal violently pulsates. For those of you without ABS , it's a chance to strengthen your leg muscles.

7. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to prepare other drivers entering the highway.

8. Speed limits are arbitrary figures; given only as a suggestion and are not enforceable in Quebec during rush hour, especially in Montreal.

9. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Quebec driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

10. Always brake and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. This is seen as a sign of respect for the victim.

11. Learn to swerve abruptly without signalling. Quebec is the home of high-speed slalom-driving; thanks to the Department of Public Works, which puts pot-holes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them alert.

12. It is tradition in Quebec to honk your horn at cars in front of you that do not move three milliseconds after the light turns green.

13. To avoid injury in the event of a collision or rollover, it is important to exit your vehicle thru the windshield right away. Wearing your seat belt will only impede your hi-velocity escape from danger.

14. Remember that the goal of every Quebec driver is to get ahead of the pack by whatever means necessary.

15. In Quebec, 'flipping the bird' is considered a polite salute. This gesture should always be returned.

Thank You From,

The QuebecRegistrar of Motor Vehicles

**Found this on some Quebec forum...**

LOL !!

any time some one talks on the phone really annoys me.

would it be nice to have a signs in your car saying : WTF and another one say ing: I'm sorry.

I'm sure it would help drivers to relax a bit more.

(If you're wondering, after he sped off, i followed him, the pedal to the floor, caught him at a stop sign, but i didn't slow down until the last second, slammed the breaks + hand break and gave him a taste of his own medicine. I timed my move so that i went from 70-0 in a matter of meters, and our bumpers gently and harmlessly bumped. He got the message, lol. After, I quickly turned down another street so as to lose him. Always been the safest and most curteous driver in the world, but this time.. he just had it coming.) DISCLAIMER TO POLICE: The aforementioned story is entirely fiction. I actually sent the tailgater flowers and a greeting card. LOL!111

:o

Double lane changes. I had a guy almost take off my left fender doing a double lane change in front of me because he just had to get to the exit ramp.

People who block traffic trying to get out of parking lots. Nosing out is one thing, but I've had a couple of people block two lanes of traffic trying to get out of the mall parking lot when they had no chance of getting out otherwise. It's cases like those where you wish you had a car with either a huge grill guard in front or one that you just wanted to write off any and T-bone the sunamabitch.

I hate it when people leave their turn signals on without realizing it. Make you think that at any second they might just consider swerving into your lane.

At least they use them. I think there's cars on the road with signal lights that flash so fast it's almost as if they're not used at all.

PTG's rule of the road:

go 5 miles over the speed limit for regular cruising

honk and give the hummers a middle finger those varmints they must be eliminated

honk at '00 Bush stickers or '04 Bush stickers or just plain laugh at there stupidity

honk at somebody with a stupid right wing bumper sticker. Why is that all the right wingers put up bumper stickers?

Honk at people who can put all of there political views on ONE bumper sticker

curse at the cops (those fascists) (I've had my car searched 3 times been pulled over just because I work at night, spotlighted, tail gated, and chased all by freeking cops! tools of totalitarianism. Got searched at my own house because I was looking out my window in the dark. lol idiots)

People who don't turn off there brights.

drunks

teen drivers

teen girl drivers who get lost in the sun and slam into my car!!!!! (that happened last week)

Is it me or do people drive in packs at night. What the hell is up with that. No cars, no cars, no cars then 10 cars together on the highway then no cars no cars and then another group of cars.

Oh and when I'm working I'm tired of people jogging at 4am in the morning. Come on people 4AM!! I get 5am but 4?

I'm not a very québécois like driver, I'm ultra prudent.. I do every stop completely and stop at the slightest hint of yellow light, but an important part of that over prudence on my part is because I have only 1 pt left on my license and I dont wanna loose it.

I do drive 10km over the limit but everybody does that.. it even say its allowed in the official rules.

honk at somebody with a stupid right wing bumper sticker. Why is that all the right wingers put up bumper stickers?

On a recent road trip, my friend and I did a little experiment. Every time we saw a driver do something stupid or asshole-ish, we took note of any political bumper stickers. About 75% of the people driving poorly had a democratic bumper sticker. Honest to God. The first seven in a row were democratic before we finally saw a republican cut someone off.

My pet peeve is drivers on cell phones. It's just freaking dangerous. It's almost as dangerous as driving drunk.

really? hmm where in the country where you driving? Most of the people around here are extreme right point of view stickers. I had a Canada sticker on my car for about a month but my dad didn't want the attention I would get so I had to take it off.

Well, seeing as how I'm from Ohio, it was in Ohio. I'd say political bumper stickers are pretty much 50-50 around here.

hmm thats not the case here. I think I've said it on countless of times I'm a lamb among hungry wolves down here. Its not healthy for me hair has fallen out due to stress they've caused. '06 was horrible the righties didn't come out in mass force in public like '04 but the radio and print is dominated by them. They're like moths to a flame.

I hate being a slave to the ultra right movement here.

example: I caused I riot in class over politics saying that before the invasion 'You'll get in Baghdad really quickly but you'll never leave' I brought up the sunnis, shi'ias and kurds, iran supporting the shi'ias, kurds declaring independence which then causes Turkey to invade the Kurds (they don't get along), Saudi Arabia supporting the Sunnis and the US stuck in the middle. I predicted that when the war started. I was yelled at by an angry mob at school, verbally beaten and told to shut the hell up by two of the teachers because I didn't know anything and was called anti american. So my wounds run deep.

You just have to have thick skin and not let it get to you. Just remember that people who end up telling you to shut up are just giving up because they know they are beat. It's happened to plenty of my liberal friends who have tried to debate with me. They get fed up with losing the argument, tell me I'm an idiot, and they walk away. At that point, I just smile.

yeah thats the thing I win the debate but not the war. I've never lost a debate because I've got too much info at my disposal to the point I become preachy.

Good thing I never got into political arguements down on the farm or my uncle would probably shoot me. He's already threatened me before he said he was going to shoot me once. Are relationship is very icey at the moment.

People don't understand why i want to move so far away, there's my answer. Tired of hearing right wing extremism, then on my dad's side my crazy cousins. I can't escape it so I've got to move to a place where my family can't reach me.

I do drive 10km over the limit but everybody does that.. it even say its allowed in the official rules.

Well, technically speeding is speeding, which is illegal. However, under 11km/h, you do not get demerit points, so essentially, the "true" speed limit is stated speed limit + 11km/h, 10km/h to be safe.

In practice, it depends on the zone. There are 30km/h zones that NEED TO BE RESPECTED due to the presence of crossing school children. I often times go SLOWER than 30km/h in such instances.

However around here, on several 50km/h boulevards, 70km/h is the norm. Some people take it too far though. I was on boul. Jean-Paul Vincent and some guy was going 95km/h. Sure it's a 4-lane divided boulevard with virtually no stops, no crossings of any kind, and sure it should the limit should be increased to 70km/h on that road, but it's still 50, and going twice that speed has ticket written all over it.

I drive a lot around the suburbs here in Montreal, so there's a bunch of idiots driving like they're on the highway in 30km/r zones.

I hate it when someone will almost drive right through a stop-sign because they're not expecting someone else to be at the perpendicular stop due to the location being a quiet area.

Basically, I'm about to start driving after stopping at a Stop sign but am forced to slow and remain cautious because some jerk just came flying out passed the stop sign only to stop with his front end in the middle of the cross-way, blocking half my path. Thus, I have to slow down and drive around his front end.

Then, this happens often as well, the guy will end up behind me and tailgate just because I had to swerve around him because he pretty much went through the stop sign. What teh hell!

My favorite incident regarding this re-occurring instance was the other night when the guy passed me on the right side and floored it only to almost get smashed by the slow driving truck in front of me trying to change into the right lane. The sucker had to slow down and hit a good patch of water-filled pot-holes which are known to reside beside the sidewalks because of the countless trucks who drive in those lanes and help along the erosion of the road.

Oh yeah, ppl on cells piss me off too. And those who don't let you switch lanes even when they know that your lane is running out... lol.

And those who don't let you switch lanes even when they know that your lane is running out... lol.

True, but don't forget those that intentionally pass everyone and then try to merge in at the last moment (in effect, cutting in line). They deserve to NOT be given a chance.

True, but don't forget those that intentionally pass everyone and then try to merge in at the last moment (in effect, cutting in line). They deserve to NOT be given a chance.

Gahh! I hate that too. lol

Yeah, I'm talking more in instances where the lane you enter a highway on runs out quickly. Actually, in those cases it's the people who built it that bug me. :P

Gahh! I hate that too. lol

Yeah, I'm talking more in instances where the lane you enter a highway on runs out quickly. Actually, in those cases it's the people who built it that bug me. :P

Well, the curteous thing to do is move to the left lane when you see someone entering the highway/road. They can merge quickly and since you're most likely going faster, you just go back into the right lane after you've passed him.

Must say, a lot of nice drivers that do that. Unfortunately, there are plenty who don't give a damn. :glare:

On the street where I live, but down the road from my house, it's four lanes, two east bound and two west. Of the two westbound lanes, one goes straight through and the other is supposed to be reserved for a left turn. The problem is that there's nothing preventing someone from running straight through via the turning lane, and the other lane moves to the left and the right lane become an exit lane to an east-bound highway. As a result of this, it becomes a drag race on many occasion from Andretti wanna-bes. In fact, I've been tailed by one driver because I wasn't courteous enough to allow him to "go straight through" and in front of me. And if a bus happens to be in the lane, school buses too, you can guarantee that there's gonna be one idiot doing 70+ to get by him.

On a recent road trip, my friend and I did a little experiment. Every time we saw a driver do something stupid or asshole-ish, we took note of any political bumper stickers. About 75% of the people driving poorly had a democratic bumper sticker. Honest to God. The first seven in a row were democratic before we finally saw a republican cut someone off.

My pet peeve is drivers on cell phones. It's just freaking dangerous. It's almost as dangerous as driving drunk.

Hmmm, barely anyone in Canada (or at least in BC) has bumper stickers and I've yet to see a political one (okay, I admit, I've seen a couple Jesus ones, but that's about it).

According to MythBusters, cell phones are MORE dangerous than drunk driving.

As for myself, my pet peeve is morons who don't stop when there's someone waiting at the crosswalk.

What are the most annoying/frustrating driving acts you've seen on the road?

Share your stories here!

I don't know about you guys, but the #1 thing that bothers me when i drive is being tailgated. 90% of the time, the tailgaiting is unintentional and/or not of malice (someone merges into your lane, behind you, at a higher speed, someone's on their cell and not paying attention to their speed, etc.)

The other 10% truly piss me off. Just had an interesting encounter with a tailgater, as i was driving some friends to the metro station. Guy was so close to me, i could have sworn he was on top of me. Less than a car distance away, maybe less than half a car distance away. I pump my brakes twice to signal him to back off, and at the next stop sign i do a full 3 second stop for him to get the message. This apparently didn't work, as he only stuck to me even closer. I kid you not, he was 30cm behind me, and we were going 50. At the next stop, i stop for 5 seconds, and take the opportunity to look at him in the rear view and slowly and visibly mouth a "f$#! off". Right after that, before i even crossed the street, he drives on the sidewalk and passes me.

Can you believe that? ...

A lot of lunatics on the road, especially at night. Any of you had similar experiences?

i'm most frustrated when someone passes me on the highway and then slows down... sheeeshhhhhhhhhh..... why did they even pass me?

penalty's over... good boys :):):)

GO :hlogo: GO!

Hmmm, barely anyone in Canada (or at least in BC) has bumper stickers and I've yet to see a political one (okay, I admit, I've seen a couple Jesus ones, but that's about it).

According to MythBusters, cell phones are MORE dangerous than drunk driving.

As for myself, my pet peeve is morons who don't stop when there's someone waiting at the crosswalk.

No one in Alberta has bumper stickers either. We'll put stickers on the rear window of our favorite teams (you see a lot of Stampeder stickers in Calgary) or the license plate on the front of the car (my dad has a New England Pats one) but no bumper stickers.