Anyone still defending Samsonov?

dumpSamsonov

Haven't been around here since the beginning of the season. At the time, many were giving grief over my screen name. They would ask how I could condemn poor Sammy even before the season started. My reply was just wait a while and you will too.

So does anyone still think Samsonov is worth the x.xx millions he's getting? Without a doubt Gainey's worst move. Sad thing is he's pretty much untradable at this point. Dump him for a 2nd round pick and be done with it. It didn't work...lets move on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been around here since the beginning of the season. At the time, many were giving grief over my screen name. They would ask how I could condemn poor Sammy even before the season started. My reply was just wait a while and you will too.

So does anyone still think Samsonov is worth the x.xx millions he's getting? Without a doubt Gainey's worst move. Sad thing is he's pretty much untradable at this point. Dump him for a 2nd round pick and be done with it. It didn't work...lets move on.

Samsanov and Ryder are both very disapointing this year.

I'd defend him but I'm sure everyone will complain. Apparently, it's against the spirit of the Habs to say anything positive about the team you love. :hlogo:

No comparison really. Even though Ryder isn't having a good year, he still has nearly double the goals of Samsonov. Samsonov has at least 3 times the salary for 6 goals vs Ryder's 11.

I'd defend him but I'm sure everyone will complain. Apparently, it's against the spirit of the Habs to say anything positive about the team you love. :hlogo:

Nothing wrong with defending your team...doesn't mean you have to defend every player on it.

Although I personally would try to move sammy ... I don't think Carbo has really giving him a chance ... now don't take my head off but why can't he try different lines ? scoring has been terrible lately for ALL the lines ... why not change it completely up and see what happens.

I would do this

Lats , Koivu , Kovalev

Sammy , Higgins , Ryder

Pleck , Bonk , Johnson

Streit , Begin , Perez

I would leave the D the way it is for now ... splitting Sammy and Kovy needs to happen .. they both try to hold onto the puck too long and niether one want's to get open or drive the net.

I would do this

Lats , Koivu , Kovalev

Sammy , Higgins , Ryder

Pleck , Bonk , Johnson

Streit , Begin , Perez

LOL... those are the exact lines I posted in the New Jersey game thread...Copy cat :lol:

In fact your whole post seems to be an exact copy of what i was saying...I guess great minds do think alike :lol:

Edited by dumpSamsonov

Nothing wrong with defending your team...doesn't mean you have to defend every player on it.

Hmm. Fine, then. There are so many reasons why it's still too early to give up on Samsonov. For one thing, like you said in another thread he has "ZERO" chemistry with Kovalev and they should be split up. So far Samsonov has spent his entire half-season, playing on Kovalev's line. Who's to say that he won't produce with better linemates?

Secondly, he's new to the team (blah blah blah, we've heard this one so many times) and we can just look at guys like Bonk and Kovalev who took a while to adjust to our style of play before becoming valuable players for us. Besides, Gainey himself said he wasn't expecting anything from Samsonov until midway through the season. Though that doesn't realy mean anything about how well Samsonov will play in the second half of the season, it does tell us that Gainey is only now starting to really judge whether he belongs on our team or not.

Personally, I would try him out with new linemates (atleast one of Higgins/Ryder/Lantendresse) and see how he does there first. I think he's bene playing better lately. Maybe not scoring, but atleast looking half-decent. I actually wish he'd carry the puck more instead of dishing it off every time he sees an open man.

Anyways, it's not really worth trading him because he won't get us anything. We might as well keep him.

Hmm. Fine, then. There are so many reasons why it's still too early to give up on Samsonov. For one thing, like you said in another thread he has "ZERO" chemistry with Kovalev and they should be split up. So far Samsonov has spent his entire half-season, playing on Kovalev's line. Who's to say that he won't produce with better linemates?

Fair enough but Sammy already had one foot in the grave as far as I'm concerned because I had seen him a lot even before Gainey signed him and he has sucked ever since leaving Boston. Maybe Boston management had a feeling that his best days were behind him like Gainey had abiout Theodore and they got rid of him. At any rate, Sammy got 1 and 3/4 feet in the grave. It's going to take some kind of voodoo to get him back now.

He only left Boston at the trade deadline last season. They probably just moved him because he was going to become a UFA and Edmonton wanted a rental.

HEY guess what im not reading anything you wrote cuz its prob really stupid....I defend Samsonov whyy because hes doin alright and just because he doesnt score often doesnt mean shit. Remember he doesnt have Thornton next to him...Nor does he have players with much heart that will give up a lot for the puck. Hes doin great with us next year he should do even better.

So just stop talking, Rant Ended :)

I've wanted to defend Sammy, but Christ, it's getting hard. I actually think both he and Kovalev have been working much harder the last twenty games... and to no effect whatsoever.

Kovalev's such a monster every once in a while that he's worth carrying, but Samsonov's spot has to be considered wide open pretty soon. Latendresse, Kostitsyn... there are some talented wingers in the organization and as awful as Ryder has been, Samsonov's worse in pretty much every way.

In Bob we trust, so we forgive some mistakes. Hey, i'ts not like I want one-hand Zednik back. Course he was cheaper.

The past 2 games wich were on TV.....YEES..... Sammy looked good

I judge players based on every play they make, and sammy seemed to make the smart play on almost every occasion.

Grabs looked very good 2, he seems to have the confidence to try things, like cutting through the middle of the offensive zone, that most players give up trying and just keep cycling the puck.

Kovalev on the other hand is horrid at decision making during these games, in the NJ game he sat behind the opposing net with the puck and just waited there for what seemed like an eternity, only to pass the puck to the opposition. When ur givin that much time and space DO SOMETHING!

No comparison really. Even though Ryder isn't having a good year, he still has nearly double the goals of Samsonov. Samsonov has at least 3 times the salary for 6 goals vs Ryder's 11.

To quote a HW member, "stats are like bikinis, they don't show everything."

HEY guess what im not reading anything you wrote cuz its prob really stupid....I defend Samsonov whyy because hes doin alright and just because he doesnt score often doesnt mean shit. Remember he doesnt have Thornton next to him...Nor does he have players with much heart that will give up a lot for the puck. Hes doin great with us next year he should do even better.

So just stop talking, Rant Ended :)

Thank you! I too like Samsonov and even though I expected him to have more points, he has been working hard game in and game out. He'll break out soon enough, don't worry.

In the words of Carbo: "We are only really interested in the way Samsonov will perform in April"

I recall Bonk not looking too good last season neither and everybody was ready to dump him this summer.

Thank God the men in charge of the Habs have a little more patience and long-term vision than some "fans"...

Do you remember when we first acquired Kovalev from the Rangers? He couldn't buy a goal for the longest time, in fact I think his first and only goal for a while was an empty netter. Eventually he came around, but not before half the fans (yes, on this board too) whined about losing Marcel Hossa (who?) and were ready to ship "washed up" Kovy out for a bag of pucks.

Good players eventually come around, and even when he's slumping, you can see that there's too much talent to keep Sammy down for too long.

And incidentally, regardless of the opinion you have on a player (I don't love every single player on the Habs either) I for one think it's really week to have "dump(enter player name)" as your screen name - why all the negativity? Are we Bruins fans or something? Jeez, the team drops a couple of games and all of a sudden the sky is falling....

LOL... those are the exact lines I posted in the New Jersey game thread...Copy cat :lol:

In fact your whole post seems to be an exact copy of what i was saying...I guess great minds do think alike :lol:

well sorry but I didn't read that post ... I've also been saying that in other threads from long ago .. even before Higgins came back ... but it's all good :D

Did you watch him with Edmonton? He was about their best player down the stretch and had a solid playoffs.

LOL .. you must have watched a different playoffs than me. I saw a Samsonov that was totally ineffective and more of a hinder to his team than a help. But to each his own.

And incidentally, regardless of the opinion you have on a player (I don't love every single player on the Habs either) I for one think it's really week to have "dump(enter player name)" as your screen name - why all the negativity? Are we Bruins fans or something? Jeez, the team drops a couple of games and all of a sudden the sky is falling....

No we're the Montreal Canadiens..a team that's harder on it's players than Boston or anyone else.

I didn't choose my screen name all of a sudden..had it before season started. And by the way, it's spelled "weak" not "week". Week is used as in "days of the week". ;)

No we're the Montreal Canadiens..a team that's harder on it's players than Boston or anyone else.

I didn't choose my screen name all of a sudden..had it before season started. And by the way, it's spelled "weak" not "week". Week is used as in "days of the week". ;)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

Don't you know that ellipses have three periods, not two?

LOL .. you must have watched a different playoffs than me. I saw a Samsonov that was totally ineffective and more of a hinder to his team than a help. But to each his own.

I can't believe it either. I mean he shouldn'tve help turn that San Jose series around by scoring on Toskala! He was totally sucky in the whole pre-playoff run! I mean a point per game almost? And man, he was the only guy on the team that I wanted to get off the ice - I mean MAB and Greene were fantastic. (Okay I'm not good at sarcasm but I'm working on it)

I'm biased here, I was a fan of this guy before he came here. So I'm still keeping the faith. He plays hard, he tries his best. I know people complain about him not going into the net enough but um, he's been thrown in the board headfirst before for trying that once and it's not a fun experience especially when he's actually healthy.

Naslund recently just broke his 17 goal scoring drought. He gets paid 6 mil and his fans were ready to get rid of him.

Naslund recently just broke his 17 goal scoring drought. He gets paid 6 mil and his fans were ready to get rid of him.

:?-

I certainly will not defend him. A lot of the time it looks like there is no effort from him. He seems to steer away from the corners and offers no puck support to his teammates. He doesn't shoot, and much like Kovalev when he has the puck he holds on to it far too long, most of the time wihtout shooting.

People are comparing him to Ryder. Well I see a big difference. Ryder is shooting. I believe Ryder could have 20 goals by now, but several of his shots have unfortunatley been stopped by goalies who have made great saves. Maybe he's shooting the puck right into them, but the fact is he is shooting and eventually will score.

My preference would be to see Samsonov moved, maybe for another teams struggling centre. At least Montreal would have a struggling 2nd line instead of a struggling winger...something the seem to have in spades