Price in a great postion with Montreal

REV-G

In talking about Carey Price's future it's been mentioned that goalies often take a little longer to develop than do some other postions. Justin Pogge, last years goalie from our Junior World Champions, was drafted by the Leafs, and he's having some struggles in the AHL right now. But I don't think that's surprising. There are very few players, other than perhaps some amazing exceptions we're seeing with Crosby and a few others, but generally, from Guy Lafleur to Joe Thornton, it takes a few years, either in the NHL or in the AHL for most junior players to make it. Chris Higgins is a good example of someone who wasn't rushed but spent a few years in the AHL and the result has has been that he's done great in the NHL. But I think Montreal's system right now couldn't be better for a Carey Price. First, there are lots of young guys in Hamilton hungry and wanting to make it to the NHL. That should be good for him to be in that atmosphere. Secondly, there will be no pressure on him to make the jump quickly. It appears the Canadiens are set for at least the next two or three years or more with four goalies who could step in and do the job. Huet, Abby, Halak and Danis. If Price is headed to the AHL next year, which seems to be the only choice, then right now it would appear that maybe one of either Abby or Danis would be traded, in order to make room for Price, without carrying 5 goalies. Thirdly, the Canadiens have one of the best goalie coaches in Melanson. So whether it takes Carey Price one, two or three years to develop, I think he'll have every opportunity to learn and grow with no great pressure. He certainly won't be rushed the way Fleury has been with Pittsburg. I think Price has a great future. Just let's not rush him too quickly.

In talking about Carey Price's future it's been mentioned that goalies often take a little longer to develop than do some other postions. Justin Pogge, last years goalie from our Junior World Champions, was drafted by the Leafs, and he's having some struggles in the AHL right now. But I don't think that's surprising. There are very few players, other than perhaps some amazing exceptions we're seeing with Crosby and a few others, but generally, from Guy Lafleur to Joe Thornton, it takes a few years, either in the NHL or in the AHL for most junior players to make it. Chris Higgins is a good example of someone who wasn't rushed but spent a few years in the AHL and the result has has been that he's done great in the NHL. But I think Montreal's system right now couldn't be better for a Carey Price. First, there are lots of young guys in Hamilton hungry and wanting to make it to the NHL. That should be good for him to be in that atmosphere. Secondly, there will be no pressure on him to make the jump quickly. It appears the Canadiens are set for at least the next two or three years or more with four goalies who could step in and do the job. Huet, Abby, Halak and Danis. If Price is headed to the AHL next year, which seems to be the only choice, then right now it would appear that maybe one of either Abby or Danis would be traded, in order to make room for Price, without carrying 5 goalies. Thirdly, the Canadiens have one of the best goalie coaches in Melanson. So whether it takes Carey Price one, two or three years to develop, I think he'll have every opportunity to learn and grow with no great pressure. He certainly won't be rushed the way Fleury has been with Pittsburg. I think Price has a great future. Just let's not rush him too quickly.

True, our future in goal looks very bright.

Every player has athere good and bad years, i dont think this season should be the telling tale of halak and danis...although Danis is getting older

Abby is a free agent after this year, he will be let go, or only brought back for less money(i dont think he would take it)

The emergence of Halak does not bode well for Danis and his future in Montreal that's for sure.

Halak is the real deal. That may be the only fly in the ointment as far as Price is concerned. Danis is interchangable with a dozen other middle aged (by hockey standards) AHL goaltenders. But Halak has been superior at every level he has played, in Slovakia and in North America. He shows no signs of cracking, and hopefully whatever style he is using to stop the puck won't be interfered with by Melanson or anyone else. Same, same for Price.

The emergence of Halak does not bode well for Danis and his future in Montreal that's for sure.

it's not that i'm pro any of those guys at the expense of the other but, so far as danis & halak are concerned, much can happen... danis can get back his winning ways and halak go into a slump or be 'figured out'... much can happen...one!

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

it's not that i'm pro any of those guys at the expence of the other but, so far as danis & halak are concerned, much can happen... danis can get back his winning ways and halak go into a slump or be 'figured out'... much can happen...one!

This same RDS guy I cant remember his name mentioned Aeby has his days counted because of PRice.... man he skipped Halak and Denis so what are the fate of these two AHLers?

In any case Abby is on a one year contract ... he's a RFA right? until when is he an RFA?

Danis will probably be let go as a free agent next summer. His stock has plummeted a little and there is little value out there for trading him. Its too bad, he's probably just having an off year will be probably be playing better next year. He's definitley proven that he can play at the AHL level

There is another goalie in the system.. I think playing for the ECHL team for the habs! picked up just before the start of the season, help played in the memorial cup I believe... Can't remember his exact name.. Des... something..

I'm going to look it up ...

Cedrick Desjardins (G) Cincinnati Cyclones Habs ECHL team...

http://echl.leaguestat.com/stats/roster.php?team_id=5

Edited by Chips

There is another goalie in the system.. I think playing for the ECHL team for the habs! picked up just before the start of the season, help played in the memorial cup I believe... Can't remember his exact name.. Des... something..

I'm going to look it up ...

Cedrick Desjardins (G) Cincinnati Cyclones Habs ECHL team...

http://echl.leaguestat.com/stats/roster.php?team_id=5

cedric desjardisn will be a 2nd goalie in the ahl at best. I believe he's just here to fill up a hole in the system.

cedric desjardisn will be a 2nd goalie in the ahl at best. I believe he's just here to fill up a hole in the system.

could be...

nevertheless, i wouldn't 'condemn' him to that 'role' this early in the game...

heck... he's just a kid...