Game Thread | Montreal vs. Philadelphia | 01/11/07

Spider-Man NL

canadiens_logo.jpgvrssign.gifflyers_logo.jpg

2006-07 Regular Season Record:

montreal50.gif24-14-5 : 53 Points (4th in the Eastern Conference)

flyers50.gif11-28-4 : 26 Points (15th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

Montreal

Abby2.jpg# 30 David Aebischer (7-6-2), 2.99 GAA, .907 Save%

Philadelphia

2197.gif# 30 Antero Niittymaki (6-21-4), 3.37 GAA, .894 Save%

Canadiens Roster
Link

Flyers Roster
Link

LW.jpgHabs_spin.gifrw.jpg

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Lapierre - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Johnson
Downey - Murray - Streit

d.jpg

Komisarek - Markov
Souray - Rivet
Dandeneault - Bouillon

G.jpg
David Aebischer

Meetings This Year:

Oct. 11th, 2006:montreal50.gif3 flyers50.gif1

Nov. 25th, 2006:flyers50.gif4 montreal50.gif2

Dec. 21st, 2006:flyers50.gif2 montreal50.gif4

KRexAbbyFlyersbilde.jpg

GuiPhilly.jpg

This game can be seen 7:00pm eastern on:
l_RDS.gif& comcast.jpg

Cjad.jpg
Listen to the game live at 7:00 pm on CJAD 800 AM

OR

ckac.jpg
Listen to the game live (In French) at 7:00 pm on CKAC 730 AM Edited by Spider-Man NL

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...d5b&k=65785

Clarke: Desjardins a classy player as Flyers set to honour former blue-liner

By Pierre Lebrun

(CP) - Eric Desjardins will stand between the only two NHL teams he ever played for when he's honoured at centre ice in Philadelphia on Thursday night.

On one side he'll see Montreal, the team that gave him his NHL start and is currently enjoying one of its most successful seasons in recent years. On the other will be the Flyers, the team with which the defenceman finished his 17-year career and is currently last in the NHL.

It hurts him to see the team he captained at rock bottom.

"Sometimes looking back you wonder if there's more you could have done to help them," the 37-year-old said this week. "Especially the young guys being more ready, taking charge a little more... But that's the past and you have to look at it and hope they can finish the season on a better note."

His number won't be retired but the Flyers are going all-out in a ceremony prior to their game against the Habs to show him how much he was appreciated during his 11 years in Philadelphia. A video tribute will be followed by gifts from both clubs and an address from Desjardins to the fans.

"I don't think there's one thing that you could ever say about Desjardins that wouldn't be positive for what he did and what he meant to our hockey club," former Flyers GM Bob Clarke said Wednesday. "He was that critical to our team. ...

"Desjardins' conduct on and off the ice is what every athlete should be like."

Asked how he wanted to be remembered as a Flyer, the humble Desjardins responded: "Somebody that really cared about the Flyers' success."

Desjardins was forced to retire last August after a litany of injuries ended his career.

A rock solid defender with offensive touch and the leadership skills to back it all up, Desjardins wasn't a hockey pool find but tremendously appreciated by his team.

"He earned the right to be on the ice at critical times," said Clarke. "Everything Eric did was for the good of the team. It wasn't ever for the good of Eric. He was a humble player, he sacrificed for the team, he did the right things for the team. Off the ice he was classy and a perfect example for other players who came on your team."

It was Clarke who snatched him away from the Canadiens in a February 1995 deal. Desjardins, now looking back, said it was a big shock. As a native of Rouyn, Que., he grew up cheering for the Habs and was thrilled to not only play for them but to help the Canadiens win a Stanley Cup in '93.

"Growing up in Quebec, French-speaking guy, you think you're going to spend the rest of your life in your province and country," said Desjardins. "But once I got to Philly it was great from the start. We became a great team, we started winning right away.

"It seems every time we stepped on the ice we had a great feeling. It was pretty easy once I got to Philly to adjust, I felt right at home."

It was one of Clarke's finest trades: Desjardins, John LeClair and Gilbert Dionne in exchange for Mark Recchi and a third-round draft pick (Martin Hohenberger).

"I don't think it was quite as one-sided as its been made out to be, because Recchi scored for them, and LeClair wasn't," Clarke said. "Our needs at the time was a steady, reliable defenceman and we also needed a big forward."

They knew what they were getting in Desjardins. There weren't sure whether LeClair would score goals but felt at least he could be good checking centre.

"As it turned out him and Lindros hit it off right away and he became a huge scorer. So we were lucky in that respect," said Clarke. "But Desjardins was also an all-star for us and that was a tremendous benefit to our team."

Desjardins admits the adjustment to normal life since his retirement hasn't been easy.

"At first it was tough, not getting ready for training camp and a new season," he said. "It's an adjustment, there's no doubt about it. But I try to keep myself busy."

He coaches his son's novice hockey team in the Montreal area and is also in the midst of opening a hockey camp.

Does he see himself coaching in the NHL one day?

"I do realize how much I enjoy coaching and teaching the kids," said Desjardins. "Maybe it's something I could do later down the road. But for now I have to work my way up there."

He wouldn't dream of stepping into the big league now.

"You think because you've played all those years that coaching is easy but you realize, I just coach at the novice level and it's something. I can't imagine being behind the bench in the American League or the National League right now. It would be too fast for me. I think have to learn how things are done behind the bench."

Desjardins had 575 points (136-439) in 1,143 regular-season games with the two clubs. He played in three all-star games and had a memorable evening during the '93 Cup final with the Habs, scoring a hat trick in Game 2 against Los Angeles. He got goosebumps earlier this week when someone played him the soundtrack of his third goal, the overtime winner on Kelly Hrudey at the Montreal Forum.

"It was unbelievable, actually it took me a couple of games to come back from that," said Desjardins. "I can't remember playing the games in Los Angeles (Games 3 and 4). Although I remember it was the first time I was ever booed during the player introductions (before Game 3 in Los Angeles). That was a weird feeling."

He is second on the Flyers' all-time list for defencemen in goals (93), assists (303) and points (396).

"I played with so many great teammates, great leaders, Ron Hextall, John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Simon Gagne, Eric Lindros, Paul Coffey - I'm just mentioning a few but there were a lot of great players who were in Philly while I was there. I really enjoyed it."

© The Canadian Press 2007

h011034a.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=191655&hubname=

Forsberg expected back versus Canadiens

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Philadelphia Flyers captain Peter Forsberg is expected back in the lineup Thursday against the Montreal Canadiens.

Forsberg, who missed four games with a groin injury, skated in practice Wednesday and announced he's ready to go.

''Everything's fine,'' he said. ''And hopefully I'll be in the lineup for a while.''

Forsberg has spent the last few days trying, again, to perfect a skate boot for his troublesome right ankle, which was surgically repaired last May. The 33-year-old Swede has said he believes problems with his skate caused the groin injury.

Doctors at Temple University have been working with him, experimenting with different orthotics to try to get a proper fit.

''Is it a hundred per cent? No, it's not a hundred per cent,'' said Forsberg, who has missed 16 games and parts of three others this season. ''But I have to play. My hope is that it will get to one hundred per cent.''

The Flyers, 0-13-3 without Forsberg, just completed the worst half-season in franchise history.

Coach John Stevens said the team plays better with Forsberg in the lineup.

''Everything changes when he is in. It's a ripple effect through your lineup. Every line gets stronger,'' Stevens said. ''When you're playing teams like Montreal, which has some depth, he goes a long way toward us figuring out the matchups we want to use.''

forsberg_77186.jpg

first class numbers if you ask me !!!

max lapierre on the second line ?? I doubt that it'll work but it's worth the try !!

Like I said before, I think the idea of Carbonneau of putting Max on the second line is to be able to get the puck for Kovalev and Samsonov, I tell you right now, both of them don't pass, but Lapierre does and he can go hit the guy with the puck and take it away from him. If you saw Grabovsky, he's fast and everything but he's always hit and goes flying and never answers back, Lapierre can hit and maybe that's what the second line needs...

The shake up on the lines should help us, I see these games as definite strong showings. If you can't show up and play hard against the worst teams what good is it to show up against the best teams?

Niitymaki is a great goalie, we gotta get the first tally.

For sure... I'd like to see us dominate from start to finish tonight.... we've got to get a roll happening...

GO HABS GO!!

FROM TSN :

Montreal Canadiens:

Projected Lines vs. Flyers (01/11):

Forwards:

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Sansonov - Lapierre - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Johnson

Perwezhogan - Murray - Streit (Downey)

Defence:

Komisarek - Markov

Rivet - Souray

Dandeneault - Bouillion

Goal:

Undecided, likely Huet

WTF: how can you make so many spelling mistakes on one single name??

Flyers will honour Desjardins' career tonight. Nice move by the Flyers, as they'll do it when the Habs are in town. Desjardins was probably my favorite Habs players back when he was still a Habs. And the only player I remember seeing him cry after he got traded.

I don't like Perezhogin... No offense... But I disliked him since I saw him in Hamilton hit a player across the head with his stick... Lets see how Downey and Murray do... We haven't seen them play with each other...

Seems the FLU bug has hit the flyer's... TSN is reporting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=191790&hubname=nhl

As much as I like to hear that the game maybe a sure win; lets not sit back and watch. I hope the new line combinations really find chemistry tonight. And take advantage of a weakened flyer's squad!

Go Habs Go!

Perezhogin is a healthy scratch?!?!?! Unreal, the fastest guy on our team doesnt get to play while two of the most useless pylons are still hanging around.

What the hell Perez gets put on the checking line, doesn't complain and he gets demoted. What a terrible decision.

Nesquik: That is what we humans call an accident, it happens to every one of us imperfect creatures once in awhile. Get over yourself.

Do you think Bob has landed a trade deal involving Perez? Could be that he is about to be shipped out?

I don't like Perezhogin... No offense... But I disliked him since I saw him in Hamilton hit a player across the head with his stick... Lets see how Downey and Murray do... We haven't seen them play with each other...

Anybody who knows Perezhogin knows that he is not that type of player and that type of incident will never happen with him again. As well most people who have accutually seen that incident know there was more to that incident than him hitting the guy in the head with his stick. Like his head just being missed by that guys stick. It was a freak accident and willnever happen with Perezhogin again. HEs an excellent young player, and will be a very good player for years to come