HABS GET KOVALEV!!!

puck7x

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gainey had to have talked to his agent beforehand to negotiate a deal. I dont think he would have dealt away our future for a UFA.

Secondly, does Kovalev play like a power forward, how is his puck control? I know his shots are deadly but he's also a left handed shooter which doen not satisfy our needs. Still Im happy to have a bonafide star come to Montreal finally!

Originally posted by Quebecois

I can't believe it. I have complete mixed reactions here, but either way it is a HUGE deal, something i didnt expect at all.

Yeah, me too. With the depth the Habs have in prospects Gainey can afford to make this kind of move but... from what I've seen of Balej I liked what he brought - speed, skill, hockey sense...

Really expected Gainey to stand pat - especially when Kovalev is 31 @ $6-million per and only 40 points. He's a big enough guy but why not Dagenais and 2nd rounder

:(

Kovalev does have a decent playoff performance so that could be the silver lining.;)

Oh well, no risk no gain in this business. Good luck to Balej - hope he has a good career.

[Edited on 2004/3/3 by habitual_hab]

HOLY SHIT MAN. I LOVE THIS. And puck knows how much i love Balej too. I don't even care if this is a rental player we finally moved a prospect for a star. And remember we have a ton of prospects and these people that keep saying bringing in new guys we have tons and tons of new guys. Our team is probably going to be one of the youngest going into the playoffs half of our top players are under 30 and the other half under 25.

I remember hearing that Kovalev has one year left... a TEAM option at somewhere around 6.5M and that the Rangers didn't intend to pick it up.

Will WE now pick it up?

Giving up Balej & a 2nd rounder... I have to believe we will. Because to me that would be too high a price for a rental.

Think we found a PP point man to go with Souray if Koivu still wants out.

Originally posted by Habs77

I remember hearing that Kovalev has one year left... a TEAM option at somewhere around 6.5M and that the Rangers didn't intend to pick it up.

Will WE now pick it up?

Giving up Balej & a 2nd rounder... I have to believe we will. Because to me that would be too high a price for a rental.

I agree 100% on that one.

Was it Balej and a 3rd or 2nd?

WOW Unbelievable !! Great job Gainey!

Balej is great and will be a good NHL player, but we have full of great prospects! When was the last time we traded for a superstar? Wow, that's amazing! :clap::ghg:

Is it over ? Maybe now! Now let's get Smyth !! :/)

hehe, that's what we call get ready for a playoff run!

This is a great deal for the habs. We acquire one of the top players in the NHL without giving up one of our top-5 prospects... Balej is great, but Kovalev will help us alot, and right NOW....

You have to think that Gainey will make another move, he wants a cup this year... Why else would he acquire a top player who is a UFA (*- maybe team option) at the end of the year if he didnt want to win NOW? ...

I think Gainey is going to get someone else before the deadline, probably not as big as Kovalev... but for depth.

Wow, I'm stunned that the Habs picked up Kovalev. To add a player like him without giving a player on the roster is pretty cool.

I'm happy with this acquisition. Seems like it came from left field though, no rumours prior to the actual event. Woohoo.

this is crazy... i was just about to go to bed... then i turn on the tv and bam... Kovalev!!!!

I like it hahahahaha

a star player... sweet!

and it was a 2004 2nd rounder i think...

yes... this is awsome

:ghg:

Ok question which contracts are up at the end of the season? We could probably use them to resign the key guys that will be getting increases at seasons end and possibly get Kovalev signed of course we'd have to increase payroll slightly. But if guys like Perreault are up i think we could do it becuase a guy like Kovalev is a draw and i'm sure theres going to be a sellout now pretty much guarenteed for the remainder of the games and if we can get to the 3rd round we can break even.

Now just to see what happens with hockey next year. Please re-sign Kovalev for atleast 1 more year and please be hockey next year.

:wall:

Read his stats, 25 goal scorer, with one big season, when Lemiuex came out of retirement. You say certified star? This one will come back on us. One year option, that would be the lock out season, costly rental. We HAD three of the leagues top 50 young guns, mow it is 2. Will the fans stop calling for trades yet or do the all want to go for it all this year, when the league already has so many front runners.

I hope this is it for young guys leaving the organization until the labor dispute is settled. The Habs have out performed all our expectations already this year, let's hope the playoffs are equally exceeding expectations

.:hlogo:

kovalev bio

ASSETS: Has an unmatched set of offensive skills with the puck. Is perhaps the premier stickhandler in the game. Displays mesmerizing moves and a deceptive shot.

FLAWS: Will occasionally suffer brain cramps on the ice, resulting in careless turnovers. Tends to shy away from contact after getting jarred. Has played far better while with the Penguins than as a Ranger.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Franchise winger.

I hope this is it for young guys leaving the organization until the labor dispute is settled. The Habs have out performed all our expectations already this year, let's hope the playoffs are equally exceeding expectations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Balej was a second tier prospect in this organization He is a second liner at best. Kovalev is a big guy we finally got that big foward i live in New York and my cousin is pissed off saying that Kovalev was the only guy that actually played physical on that team of losers.

As for Kovalev we got a guy NHL ready to help push us over the hump fill the seats this year maybe get us to the 3rd round to break even financially. 1 time 40 goal scorer 2 times 30, 6 time 20 goal scorer. And remember that 44 goal season was no the 2nd line and he got a lot of those points before Lemieux. He is an NHL star and remember he's an affordable star he's not a 9-11 million dollar super star. He's a 5-7.5 million star something we could actually still afford since we've thrown numbers like 5 million at Hull and Lapointe and some other guys we've outbid for but still lost for the last 2-3 seasons. It's all going to come down to I believe is does he want to stay with Montreal because I believe this team has the resources to match other peoples offers.

Just Remeber he's proven. He can help us now. He's big and he knows how to find the back of the net. Most of all He is going to draw the opponents top line against him and Koivu. And guess whose gonna have it easier again Ribeiros line.

The Montreal Canadiens acquired right wing Alexei Kovalev from the New York Rangers for winger Jozef Balej and a second-round draft pick 2004.

What does it give the Montreal Canadiens?

Which Kovalev will show up in Montreal...the Pittsburgh version or the Rangers model? If the former, the Habs could turn this move into a steal and will likely keep the enigmatic Russian beyond 2003-04. If he fails under the Montreal spotlight, as he has repeatedly in Manhattan, Kovalev's time with the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge will be very short-lived.

What does it give the New York Rangers?

Since Kovalev was a shadow of his former self with the Blueshirts, the Rangers received a good return from the Canadiens. Balej should make the Rangers roster in 2004-05 and could be an ideal second-line right wing behind Jaromir Jagr. Furthermore, adding a second-round draft pick is exactly what the Rangers need right now.

Short Term Analysis

If Kovalev can handle the pressure of playing in Montreal, the Habs will be the runaway winners in this deal. Otherwise, the Rangers will get the advantage right away.

Long Term Analysis

Without a doubt, the Rangers are the clear winners of this trade down the road. Balej should score 20-35 goals annually at the NHL level, while the second-round pick also could turn into a major asset for the Blueshirts.

link

Mixed reactions as well, I don't think anybody would argue that Kovalev has somewhat of a reputation for being lazy. Now I am not saying he is bad but .... I hope it works out for us.

Once in while giving up the 2nd round pick is not a problem, I would even be willing to give a 1st rounder for the right player and I wouldn't call Balej a second tier prospect but it was clear to trade for the playoffs we had to give up one of the guys in Hamilton.

Gainey said he wasn't here to make the PLayoffs, he was here to win Championships.

This is a very good trade for the Habs right now, the type of trade i was hoping they'd make.

When Bulis returns our top two lines should look like this:

Zed-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Ribs-Ryder

Two real great scoring threats for the Playoffs.

But this deal makes no sense in a lot of ways as well.

Unless the Habs win the Cup we are the losers in this trade, because in the off season Kovalev signs somewhere else and we've lost a young prospect who can shoot score and skate, also a 2nd rounder.

The only way this trade will be good is if

1) The team actually does win the cup

2) kovalev signs for at least another year, preferably 3-4 years.

Also as many mentioned it's nice to have a star on the team.

If Kovalev doesn't sign with us next year, I'm pretty sure we get a second-round compensary draft pick, which might be as high as 31st overall. Which means that we only lose Balej (which sucks, but we've got a logjam of small, speedy prospects. We'll survive)

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

Gainey said he wasn't here to make the PLayoffs, he was here to win Championships.

This is a very good trade for the Habs right now, the type of trade i was hoping they'd make.

When Bulis returns our top two lines should look like this:

Zed-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Ribs-Ryder

Two real great scoring threats for the Playoffs.

But this deal makes no sense in a lot of ways as well.

Unless the Habs win the Cup we are the losers in this trade, because in the off season Kovalev signs somewhere else and we've lost a young prospect who can shoot score and skate, also a 2nd rounder.

The only way this trade will be good is if  

1) The team actually does win the cup

2) kovalev signs for at least another year, preferably 3-4 years.

Also as many mentioned it's nice to have a star on the team.

Bulis won't be on the top 2 lines anymore. (For the moment) we're looking at

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder

That's a really good 2 line team. Sure, our LW needs shoring up, but that can be done later

Meanwhile, Juneau, Sundstrom, Dackell, Bulis, Begin and Ward will make up the extra 2 lines, with Langdon and Perreault and Kilger making cameo appearances

Bulis wont be on the top two lines???

To Hell with Dagenais, he makes that line look bad too many times. Ryder and Ribs are the best duo on the team right now, they definitely have the most chemistry of any pairing i can think of. If you add Bulis to the line you add Speed, hard work, a more physical presence then Dags, and a very reliable defensive forward who has some offensive upside.

IMO, if you can add all those assets to that line and only lose a guy who has nothing only a hard shot that he over uses tooooo much, it's a no brainer to put Bulis on that line.

I still wish Gainey will aquire another winger for the line but right now Bulis should be the guy when he returns.