HABS GET KOVALEV!!!

puck7x

He is not near the top 5 in the league. hmm let me name 5 of the top of my head, Nash, Foresburg, Alfredson, StLouis, Tanguay etc.......................... c'mon, he is good but not elite. Top 100 maybe

:o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm ... Did the Habs give away some of their future for a rent a player past his prime or did they get a guy who will return to his Pittsburgh form and re-sign here next year? I'm sitting on the fence. I will say this ... is it ever weird to see the Habs TRADE a prospect and a pick for a good player. What a shock.

Oh and to those saying the Habs finally have a star player, isn't Jose Theodore a star player? I consider him to be more valuable than Kovalev at the moment.

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

He is not near the top 5 in the league. hmm let me name 5 of the top of my head, Nash, Foresburg, Alfredson, StLouis, Tanguay etc.......................... c'mon, he is good but not elite. Top 100 maybe

:o

I said top-5 TALENT. Not top-5 player, Alexei Kovalev has the talent to be a top player...

Originally posted by =CH=

Hmm ... Did the Habs give away some of their future for a rent a player past his prime or did they get a guy who will return to his Pittsburgh form and re-sign here next year? I'm sitting on the fence.

Long term the Rangers won this deal hands down.

Short term it's a waiting game to see if Kovalev can be re-energized, rejuvenated, reconstituted, regurgitated and revamped into that scoring machine he was.

Ok , let's hope he returns to his old form.

Yes he does have potential as did Balej, really hope he picks it up. Would have felt more at ease if we had aquired a forward like Lang or Sullivan that was actually hot this year though.

I say sit him tonight so he has a chance to get a feel for the guys (his line mates) in a practice first. But if he plays, all the better.

:ghg::hlogo:

First, I'd like to commend all of those who have posted in this thread, it has been a very good read.

Now, for my take:

I think this is a good deal for the Habs, as in reality, we lose Balej for Kovalev straight up. We will gain a compensatory draft choice granted by the NHL if we don’t re-sign Kovalev in the offseason. However, that pick will be in 2005, and not 2004.

As for losing Balej, I am a little disappointed, however, this is the right move. There is no guarantee that he will become a productive scorer in the NHL with the Rangers. Balej likely was not in the long-term plans for this team; he was not drafted early on like Hossa, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, and Higgins. All of those guys are expected to have significant roles in the near future. Add to that the fact that we quite possibly with still have Koivu, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, and Bulis, and there’s your top-9 forwards right there. No Balej there...He was expendable IMO, and to get a proven scorer like Kovalev for him, long or short term, is great for the team, it boosts morale and team confidence, which is what we need a lot of heading into the playoffs.

That's just my take, only time will tell if this is what we needed or not. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to Friday's game.

:ghg:

I checked Dan Linn's depth chart (http://www.habsworld.net/show_prospect.php?id=60 )and at the beginning of the year Balej was our 5th RW behind Perezhogin, Ryder, Ferland and Milroy. And we got Alexei Kovalev. Ok, maybe for 2-4 months.. but still. When you develop prospects in your farm team like that, it's a good reward to be able to get an established star who can help your team right away, without hurting our future too much.

Dan's Habs prospects depth chart (october 2003)

http://www.habsworld.net/show_prospect.php?id=60

• 2 weeks later...