~Official Xbox 360 thread~

habs_in_the_blood

Hmm, so what's better ... Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

so I broke down after my exam today and opened the game.

The Rock Band guitar is different from the GH one. It has an extra set of buttons at the high end of the fret board for soloing, has navigational controls (for browsing menus), and has an effects selector that looks like a stratocaster pickup switch. Most significantly, the action on the strummer and the frets are completely different from the GH guitar. The controls don't click, they are very smooth and require some getting used to if you are a GH player. I frankly like the guitar feel better, but I am still getting used to it.

I spent a few hours doing the band tour mode with a friend. He played guitar and I played drums. The drums are awesome and way too much fun. Easy was sufficiently challenging at the beginning, but after about 1.5 hrs I moved on to medium and I am being seriously challenged by the patterns for now. The guitar parts are generally easier than those in GH. I can do the sweat out the expert tracks in GH 2 and I was barely challenged at all by the hard riffs on RB. That said, the guitar feels really cool and playing with a friend is a ton of fun. In order to get higher scores (which lead to more fans, more money) you have to be somewhat adept at coordinating the bandmates use of star power. It was really cool to call out from behind the set for my friend to go into overdrive and see how long you could keep it going. Unlike in GH, you can extend star power/overdrive by continuing to complete powerup sections.

There is a bit of song repetition as you work to unlock new venues and tracks, but by upping the difficulty we were able to keep the same tracks interesting.

I've only played a few hours so far and I probably won't play that much for the next week, but I fully intend to OD on Rock Band once I have the time. Great game.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to argue. I'm assuming you're doing all the side quests as well? A lot of people seem to be burning through the main storyline and then complaining how boring the game is. Then they argue there isn't as much action as in Halo games. Thats kind of not the point to Mass Effect.

Anyway, Mass Effect could very well enter my list of all-time favourite games. A list that hasn't really seen an entry since January 2005 when I played Resident Evil 4. Now I have to go play KOTOR ASAP, I entered the Xbox generation late and missed a whole bunch of quality titles like KOTOR.

Oh yeh, I'm definitely doing as many side quests as possible. I usually do that because you never know if the game will end once you're done the main quest, and if you'll miss out on the rest of the game.

I'm jealous that you get to play KOTOR for the first time. It's definitely one of my alltime favourites (just don't get your hopes up for KOTOR 2... Bioware didn't do it, and you could tell). I haven't had a real serious candidate for alltime list since Oblivion, but there's been a few close ones.

Edited by lazy26

Oh yeh, I'm definitely doing as many side quests as possible. I usually do that because you never know if the game will end once you're done the main quest, and if you'll miss out on the rest of the game.

I'm jealous that you get to play KOTOR for the first time. It's definitely one of my alltime favourites (just don't get your hopes up for KOTOR 2... Bioware didn't do it, and you could tell). I haven't had a real serious candidate for alltime list since Oblivion, but there's been a few close ones.

Haha, I knew that about KOTOR 2 and I'm not even considering it. I just want to get the first one. At first I was going to burn through the story and then do a second playthrough where I did all the side quests. I don't feel like I'd be doing the game a whole lot of justice by playing it like that though so I'm doing side quests for my first playthrough.

What did you start out as? Most people seem to have gone straightforward and picked a Soldier. I chose to start as a Vanguard though.

Haha, I knew that about KOTOR 2 and I'm not even considering it. I just want to get the first one. At first I was going to burn through the story and then do a second playthrough where I did all the side quests. I don't feel like I'd be doing the game a whole lot of justice by playing it like that though so I'm doing side quests for my first playthrough.

What did you start out as? Most people seem to have gone straightforward and picked a Soldier. I chose to start as a Vanguard though.

I chose Vanguard as well, with the heroic background. Have you found the levelling up to be ridiculously fast? I've gotten to the point where I just auto-levelup, just because it seems to happen every 10-15 minutes. That's part of the reason I'm doing the side missions, so I can be maxed out by the time I reach the end boss. Although, I've found there to be an unfair advantage already, and I'm maybe 10 hours in.

I played through KOTOR three times, and I was throughly entertained each time. I hope the same can be said of Mass Effect.

I really want to get Mass Effect, but having just completed Oblivion, I need a bit of a break from the whole RPG thing - at least until Christmas ;).

I murdered Hexic yesterday though... :P

I chose Vanguard as well, with the heroic background. Have you found the levelling up to be ridiculously fast? I've gotten to the point where I just auto-levelup, just because it seems to happen every 10-15 minutes. That's part of the reason I'm doing the side missions, so I can be maxed out by the time I reach the end boss. Although, I've found there to be an unfair advantage already, and I'm maybe 10 hours in.

I played through KOTOR three times, and I was throughly entertained each time. I hope the same can be said of Mass Effect.

I have noticed that, I swtiched to auto-levelup pretty quickly too for the same reason. I just found out today my dad needs some help with a side job so theres some unexpected income I'll be getting. Hopefully I'll be able to track KOTOR (or MS could just put it up on their new service, Xbox Originals)

you're toughts on Assasin's creed? any news on GowII? and why is Gears of war still 60$$ ??

Considering the hype, AC was a pretty big failure. It's a decent action game but not worth full price. Wait a couple months before you pick it up.

I haven't heard anything on Gears of War 2, I think Epic Games is working on a couple other projects for now (I know Unreal comes out for the PS3 pretty soon. I think it's this month but I could be wrong). The first one is still a marquee title during the holiday season, it's a good pick-up for casual gamers. I think Microsoft knows they can still make a ton of money without dropping the Gears of War price. Plus it was just released for Windows so I don't think they want to touch it just yet.

I have noticed that, I swtiched to auto-levelup pretty quickly too for the same reason. I just found out today my dad needs some help with a side job so theres some unexpected income I'll be getting. Hopefully I'll be able to track KOTOR (or MS could just put it up on their new service, Xbox Originals)

Considering the hype, AC was a pretty big failure. It's a decent action game but not worth full price. Wait a couple months before you pick it up.

I haven't heard anything on Gears of War 2, I think Epic Games is working on a couple other projects for now (I know Unreal comes out for the PS3 pretty soon. I think it's this month but I could be wrong). The first one is still a marquee title during the holiday season, it's a good pick-up for casual gamers. I think Microsoft knows they can still make a ton of money without dropping the Gears of War price. Plus it was just released for Windows so I don't think they want to touch it just yet.

Last I heard, they wanted to put out a Gears every 2 years.

Just got back to Splinter Cell: Double Agent now that I've completed Hitman: Blood Money. Not too shabby.

I really, really regret trading that game in. I played it once, beat it and then traded it in. Now I really want to play it again with the movie out and everything and nobody has the damn thing.

Anyone has some hints for NHL08 ... I'm playing the Dynasty Mode, Pro level but I simply can't score anymore (though I've tons of shots). What might be the best tactics?

you need to use the advanced deking controls. Watch the video on skill stick controls, you need to be able to use the LB deke move to get quality scoring chances. I know I'm not explaining this exactly well, but watch the vid (available from the main menu) and you will get the idea. IT is difficult to do at first, but eventually it will become second nature.

Also, make sure you are doing some aiming with your shots... I am not the greatest aimer, but just trying to get some of your shots high will improve your shooting percentage.

Mix up your shots. When you go to the net, try some back hands, deke to the far side, etc.. Use a D-Man to pinch in to about the top of the faceoff circle and try a slapshot. Sometimes it goes it, and you can often get decent rebounds.

Mix up your strategies. I like to alternate between tic-tac crash the net style offense and behind the net passing.

Be aggressive on holding the defensive blue line. If you can stop the opponent's rush at the line, there is usually a forward to whom you can pass to set up a partial breakaway. Use the skill stick to create open space between the puck carrier and the d-man and pass to the open wing... your pass should not leave the stick before you cross the faceoff dot. Shoot a one-time with the rushing winger and you will get some good chances.

I miss playing NHL... I'll be back soon.

you need to use the advanced deking controls. Watch the video on skill stick controls, you need to be able to use the LB deke move to get quality scoring chances. I know I'm not explaining this exactly well, but watch the vid (available from the main menu) and you will get the idea. IT is difficult to do at first, but eventually it will become second nature.

Also, make sure you are doing some aiming with your shots... I am not the greatest aimer, but just trying to get some of your shots high will improve your shooting percentage.

Mix up your shots. When you go to the net, try some back hands, deke to the far side, etc.. Use a D-Man to pinch in to about the top of the faceoff circle and try a slapshot. Sometimes it goes it, and you can often get decent rebounds.

Mix up your strategies. I like to alternate between tic-tac crash the net style offense and behind the net passing.

Be aggressive on holding the defensive blue line. If you can stop the opponent's rush at the line, there is usually a forward to whom you can pass to set up a partial breakaway. Use the skill stick to create open space between the puck carrier and the d-man and pass to the open wing... your pass should not leave the stick before you cross the faceoff dot. Shoot a one-time with the rushing winger and you will get some good chances.

I miss playing NHL... I'll be back soon.

Thx a lot dude ... I'll try the skill stick with those dekes, haven't really done it before.

As for the aiming, I've always done it not automatically, so I'm already trying different shots ... really addicted to NHL right now, just a great game!

Are you going to pick Ashley or Liara?

Mmmmmmmmm, blue boobies :wub::B)

LOL. Funny story, I tried for the threesome, pissed off Ashley and got stuck with Liara. The real life parallels are uncanny! :D

I just finished the game, and I was surprised as to how short it was. This is probably because I will always compare RPGs to Oblivion, but even KOTOR seemed a lot longer. Still a great game though. I'll probably play through as renegade once I finish off CoD4 and get most of the achievements for NHL08.

I need a good 2-player game to play with my girlfriend - similar to what Hannes was looking for I suppose.

Is Lego Star Wars a 2-player game? (can be played off the same console). I read somewhere that it is two players over Xbox Live, but I need something that'd be entertaining for two people playing off the same console.

Any ideas?

On another note - the more I look at Rock Band, the more I want it. But I mean, over $200? I can't spend that money now, lol.

I need a good 2-player game to play with my girlfriend - similar to what Hannes was looking for I suppose.

Is Lego Star Wars a 2-player game? (can be played off the same console). I read somewhere that it is two players over Xbox Live, but I need something that'd be entertaining for two people playing off the same console.

Any ideas?

On another note - the more I look at Rock Band, the more I want it. But I mean, over $200? I can't spend that money now, lol.

Yep, LSW2 is 1-2 players. And it should be good for someone that doesn't play very many videogames (your characters just respawn when you die). I had a gf that wasn't really into videogames, but she really enjoyed playing co-op shooters, so that could always be an option. I'd recommend Halo 3 if you go that route.

Yep, LSW2 is 1-2 players. And it should be good for someone that doesn't play very many videogames (your characters just respawn when you die). I had a gf that wasn't really into videogames, but she really enjoyed playing co-op shooters, so that could always be an option. I'd recommend Halo 3 if you go that route.

I'm getting Halo 3 this Christmas (whether it's a gift or self bought, hehe). Does it have a 2 player campaign? I usually don't check out this stuff since I usually go it solo... heh.

The girls seem to enjoy fighting games as well. I had an ex who wouldn't touch videogames unless I was playing Super Smash Melee and then later got her into Soul Calibur 2 when it first came out.

Yeah, fighting games came to mind... but I'm not a big fan of fighting games (they get repetitive IMO).

---------

I'll probably end up hitting EB Games with her around X-mas to check out what's available and interesting to her (and me) - I'm just figured I'd do some "research" first to make sure I don't end up with something crap.

Is Lego Star Wars a 2-player game? (can be played off the same console). I read somewhere that it is two players over Xbox Live, but I need something that'd be entertaining for two people playing off the same console. .

Or you could just go for Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. You basically get both games plus a number of extras. I haven't played the combo version, but I absolutely loved the two originals, so having those + extras has to be a good thing. I'd highly recommend it for playing with a non-gamer. The games are easy enough to beat for kids, so difficulty isn't an issue. But they're still a lot of fun for experienced gamers because there are lots of unlockables and side quests, looking for secret objects and that kind of thing. Plus, many of the cut-scenes are absolutely hilarious.

Or you could just go for Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

Yeahp, that's the one I was going to get. Checking out some vids and such, I think it'd be the best fit. It's also about time I pick up that pink controller they have out. :D

Here's hoping my employment insurance checks are in my mailbox when I wake up tomorrow... :P