Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Thrashers d'Atlanta | 01/18/07

Spider-Man NL

The goal against was Markov's fault. He blindly played the puck into the path of two Thrashers. When he took the puck in the face, he was stitched up in no time. I'd speculate that he was made to sit for a while because the message before this game was that that sort of error just wasn't acceptable - from anyone.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all blind speculation on wether Markov was benched or not. I only assume that he was being stitched because he had the glue on his cut before the end of the period, he disapeared for a while at the beginning of the 2nd period and when he was next on the ice he had visible stitches. As the visiting team the Canadiens would have to wait for the Atlanta doctor to stitch him so it makes sense that the time it took to stitch him would cut into the second period. Medical attention on the road is obviously not as fast as at home, thus my speculation that he was not benched. If you have intimate knowledge of Carbo benching him then I stand corrected.

The goal against was Markov's fault. He blindly played the puck into the path of two Thrashers. When he took the puck in the face, he was stitched up in no time. I'd speculate that he was made to sit for a while because the message before this game was that that sort of error just wasn't acceptable - from anyone.

Yup, I think you're right... That's what Boone said on Habinsideout too

This is all blind speculation on wether Markov was benched or not. I only assume that he was being stitched because he had the glue on his cut before the end of the period, he disapeared for a while at the beginning of the 2nd period and when he was next on the ice he had visible stitches. As the visiting team the Canadiens would have to wait for the Atlanta doctor to stitch him so it makes sense that the time it took to stitch him would cut into the second period. Medical attention on the road is obviously not as fast as at home, thus my speculation that he was not benched. If you have intimate knowledge of Carbo benching him then I stand corrected.

Not intimate knowledge, but he was on the Habs bench again early in the second, stiches done, and still didn't play until 12 minutes had elapsed. He missed maybe 2 minutes of the second becuase of the stitching, but after that, it was a Carbo message not to play bad D.

Marky's one of my favourites, but I'm glad Carbo's putting his foot down and sendign the message that NO ONE can play bad or not put in the effort.

Kovy certainly picked up his game last night, but I thought that he deserved to benched more than either Rivet or Sammy. It will be interesting to see if Carbo will ever start sitting Kovy for extended periods on the bench if he doesn't put in the effort. I think that he's more "diva" than any of the others, and more in need of the wake up call on most days...

Anyway, all good right now. Here's hoping they stay hardworking and positive and keep winning.

Overall i'm glad they won but as a team only the second period was impressive. The played even in the first. Sat back and got dominated in the third. Only Huet saved the butts once again. 45 shots against, that is just crazy.

The defenseive zone was a fire drill again. Soft, Lazy and turnovers again in their own end. They were a little more physical tonight which is nice to see. I did like the lines, especially Samsonov with Bonk and Johnson, they played solid defense and had several good scoring chances. The second line looked dangerous most of the night. Has anyone seen the first line, Koivu is now minus 11, the team worst i beleive. he needs to pick it up.

I'm really interested to see how they play against Buffalo, i beleive. Is this a 1 game thing or will they pick it up more. The D zone just has to get better, you can't give up 40 plus shots a night and expect to win. I want to see if the offense continues to create chances.

Just positive stuff to say this morning.

Habs are back at the 4th seed in the Conference with Carolina and Ottawa losing.

We scored the first goal at 5 on -5.

Latendresse made two beautiful passes that resulted in goals.

Samsonov played very well with Bonk, Bonk make people look better.

Johnson skated with confidence and a lot of speed.

Rivet showed a lot of toughness, protecting Huet crease.

Koivu-Komisarek and Bouillon did a beautiful job on pk 3-5 at the end of the first.

Carbo did a nice job against one of the best coaches in the league.

More positives to be seen in this game than in others, but still a long way to go. They were still badly outshot,but luckly Huet was up for the challenge. Powerplay needs to be this good all the time and the 5 on 5 still needs to improve drastically. But its a start. A confidence builder

Habs are back at the 4th seed in the Conference with Carolina and Ottawa losing.

Koivu-Komisarek and Bouillon did a beautiful job on pk 3-5 at the end of the first.

Hartley's one of the best coaches in the league (cough). What, you from Hawkesbury?

Yup, I think you're right... That's what Boone said on Habinsideout too

Not intimate knowledge, but he was on the Habs bench again early in the second, stiches done, and still didn't play until 12 minutes had elapsed. He missed maybe 2 minutes of the second becuase of the stitching, but after that, it was a Carbo message not to play bad D.

Marky's one of my favourites, but I'm glad Carbo's putting his foot down and sendign the message that NO ONE can play bad or not put in the effort.

Kovy certainly picked up his game last night, but I thought that he deserved to benched more than either Rivet or Sammy. It will be interesting to see if Carbo will ever start sitting Kovy for extended periods on the bench if he doesn't put in the effort. I think that he's more "diva" than any of the others, and more in need of the wake up call on most days...

Anyway, all good right now. Here's hoping they stay hardworking and positive and keep winning.

Actually I think the "benching" occurred after Markov tried the exact same "spin" play in the corner during the second period, and again lost the puck leading to another good Thrasher scoring opportunity, only this time Huet made a great save........after that one, I think Carbo had seen enough...........also, a strong game by the duo of Dandy & Cube..... . Finally, I think Carbo is starting to target certain defence pairs against certain opposition lines. For example, against big tough lines, he goes with Rivet & Souray; against speedy lines, Dandy & Cube, and against a team's #1 line, it seems to be Markov & Komi (who have a combination of both).......jmo.

Edited by SoCalHab

I'm beginning to think that Bonk might be worth re-signing, even at the inflated salary. He is not an easily-replaceable part, and Bob's clarity of vision in acquiring him has really shown through this year.