New All-Star Jersey is unveiled

markierung

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes... not bad

GO :hlogo: GO!

I want to see how the new design affects the look of the regular jerseys. The prototype that was tested earlier really broke up the stripe on the Habs' home jerseys, which peeved everyone off. If the look doesn't change too much, it won't really matter how they're put together.

I am happy that they abandoned the idea of tucking them into the pants though. That would have looked really bad.

Geez!! did gretzky choose the colors ??

I want to see how the new design affects the look of the regular jerseys. The prototype that was tested earlier really broke up the stripe on the Habs' home jerseys, which peeved everyone off. If the look doesn't change too much, it won't really matter how they're put together.

I'm with you on that one. Im kind of old fashioned on that topic. I wouldn't want to see great jerseys like montreal's detroit and even toronto( sorry all but I think their jerseys look great) change too much only to please americans.

It's not really to please anybody its just so they're more aerodynamic so to speak/

Aerodynamics? They're in a controlled environment, and they're skating at a max of 50 mph, if that? What the hell does aerodynamics have to do with anything? It's a money grab for Reebok and the teams.

Bring these back!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.8.html

Just read they're gonna try out the "rail cam" again on Versus, this time for the All-Star game. I didn't see the last game they used it, but I recall the reviews of the camera being rather poor.

i didn't read any reviews on the rail cams but i did see them... they were kind of weird to watch through but, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them.

as to the jerseys, i'd agree in the sense that i'm dismayed that the nhl is bringing in those rebok jerseys...

ok, make the jerseys more aerodynamic but keep the complete look of the jerseys - montreal's anyways... all the stripes should be there...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Aerodynamics? They're in a controlled environment, and they're skating at a max of 50 mph, if that? What the hell does aerodynamics have to do with anything? It's a money grab for Reebok and the teams.

The official unveiling was today and I guess many of the reporters that were ready to criticize the jerseys were pleasantly surprised. As for the aerodynamics. They say the jerseys prevent 10% less drag and weigh less than the older jerseys. Not a big difference but the players really seem to like them. Also, it was reported that horizontal lines were not an option but that is false. If teams (such as the Habs) want to keep their horizontal lines they can.

Geez!! did gretzky choose the colors ??

I'm with you on that one. Im kind of old fashioned on that topic. I wouldn't want to see great jerseys like montreal's detroit and even toronto( sorry all but I think their jerseys look great) change too much only to please americans.

I'm sorry, but I really take offense to the "only to please americans" bit. I'd like to see at least some evidence out of you (Yes, you Marky and Komi, I'm calling you out to back up what you're saying.) that all of the Canadian folks around the NHL were on one side of this jersey re-design issue and American folks were on the other. (Hint: You won't find any, and HWL is not exactly a neutral group from which to gather opinions.) It's probably nice to sit in Canada and blame all Americans for everything bad that's happened to hockey in the last 3 decades, but that's not nearly the reality. Just because there are fewer and fewer Americans who are ashamed of our political stance over the past 6-16 years and fewer and fewer Americans who are willing to have a spine and protect this country, doesn't give you license to blame us for everything in hockey (and politics) you don't like and make under-the-breath little quips about how terrible the United States is. Take a little responsibility for "Canada's game" and don't be so quick to jump on the defeatist bandwagon of "The terrible Americans made us do it." That's garbage. If you're going to take pot-shots, back it up.

Sorry if that's a bit strong, people need to take responsibility for what they're saying.

I'm sorry, but I really take offense to the "only to please americans" bit. I'd like to see at least some evidence out of you (Yes, you Marky and Komi, I'm calling you out to back up what you're saying.) that all of the Canadian folks around the NHL were on one side of this jersey re-design issue and American folks were on the other. (Hint: You won't find any, and HWL is not exactly a neutral group from which to gather opinions.) It's probably nice to sit in Canada and blame all Americans for everything bad that's happened to hockey in the last 3 decades, but that's not nearly the reality. Just because there are fewer and fewer Americans who are ashamed of our political stance over the past 6-16 years and fewer and fewer Americans who are willing to have a spine and protect this country, doesn't give you license to blame us for everything in hockey (and politics) you don't like and make under-the-breath little quips about how terrible the United States is. Take a little responsibility for "Canada's game" and don't be so quick to jump on the defeatist bandwagon of "The terrible Americans made us do it." That's garbage. If you're going to take pot-shots, back it up.

Sorry if that's a bit strong, people need to take responsibility for what they're saying.

The NHL since the early 90's has all been about appeasing the americans. You can't deny that. Changing the conference names, division names, naming a team after a movie, moving teams to the south, expansion, diluted talent pool, no fighting. Blame it really on the '94 baseball strike. Thats when the Americanization really started to begin.

Heck even Mark Cuban who tried to buy the Pens agrees that the NHL is focusing on the wrong things and moving in the wrong direction.

The NHL since the early 90's has all been about appeasing the americans. You can't deny that. Changing the conference names, division names, naming a team after a movie, moving teams to the south, expansion, diluted talent pool, no fighting. Blame it really on the '94 baseball strike. Thats when the Americanization really started to begin.

Heck even Mark Cuban who tried to buy the Pens agrees that the NHL is focusing on the wrong things and moving in the wrong direction.

In your opinion.

Sorry Mils but a forum is usually ones opinion.

There are no footnote's, end notes or bibliography.

As for his comments about the NHL and how it has tried and tried hard at attracting Americans you would be blind to say that those accusations are false. On the other hand you are correct in saying all that was wrong with the NHL is not the United States fault it is the fault of many others who truly believe Hockey will be a great success in the southern states. Those who believe this will be correct only when their respective team in winning, should they lose the fans will disappear faster than Houdini. The only way to make hockey a success is with grass roots programs so that kids play hockey rather then football, baseball, or basketball and since hockey is so expensive this will be a long process that may never help hockey or the NHL gain a foot hold in professional sports throughout the US.

Sorry Mils but a forum is usually ones opinion.

There are no footnote's, end notes or bibliography.

I agree.

Expecting everything to be cited to a credible source is outlandish, but stating opinions as fact isn't acceptable either. This nonsense, "blame America for everything bad" mentality is offensive and untrue. That's one person's opinion, and that's fine, but I'm proud of America and it's hockey tradition, and I will stand up for it when baseless, arrogant, and offensive claims are made. "America is ruining hockey" is essentially what was said, and I am calling that person out.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I am just as entitled to disagree and ask them to back it up as long as I do so in a civil and respectful manner. (At least those are the rules of HWL as I understand them. I never saw a rule that I had to be anti-American in my opinions.)

Don't really know about these jerseys, but a ton of stuff has been done to this game to try to penetrate the US market ... and most of it has been detrimental. Moving Winnipeg and Quebec to crappy markets where there are no "real" fans. The comet tail on the puck so people could follow it. The headquarters moving to NYC. Garry Bettman (former NBA boss). The list goes on.

The jerseys look bad ... and there was no real point in changing them aside from making some bling ... which, of course, is a very American thing to do ... manufacturing desire for the sole purpose of making dough ... instead of out of necessity.

Also, RBK over CCM ... there goes CND interests again.

And BTW, we can blame the US for everything bad ... just a lot ... and to all Yanks out there ... that is what happens when you have the largest economy in the world, consume the most oil, get involved in the most wars, have the most cars per capita, create the most pollution and waste, etc. etc.

So don't feel too bad ...

Also, you guys make Ben and Jerry's ice cream, invented the airplane, neuclear technology, the automobile, and are leaders in most technological ereas known to man ... so if you can take your props, well, you better take your criticism too.

PS - George Bush suX .... and if you voted for him, you do too! :P

The official unveiling was today and I guess many of the reporters that were ready to criticize the jerseys were pleasantly surprised. As for the aerodynamics. They say the jerseys prevent 10% less drag and weigh less than the older jerseys. Not a big difference but the players really seem to like them. Also, it was reported that horizontal lines were not an option but that is false. If teams (such as the Habs) want to keep their horizontal lines they can.

The key piece of the Habs home jersey is the unique blue-and-white striping that goes around the chest of the jersey, which no other team has and is often cited when people rank the Habs jersey as one of the best in professional sports. That striping will be broken up by the panels that run along the ribcage, and as this panel is as much functional as it is cosmetic, I don't think Reebok is going to change it for one specific team, as it would be a significant change to its production. And all the new jerseys are supposed to be basically the same construction. If Reebok can keep that continuous striping on the home jersey, then that would be great. But the graphic shown on the net doesn't show that.

mtl.jpg

I'm so sick of blaming the NHL's troubles on American expansion. I've got news for you, that isn't the problem. If hockey were so unpopular in the places they expanded to, why are there 6 other teams in the league with emptier arenas than the worst expansion team? Hell, two Original Six cities average worse attendance than any expansion team.

The problem is expansion itself, it is the average players who get a job because of it. It's happened in every sport, so it's a fact of life that we just have to deal with. The talent in all the sports is watered down, and it just so happens that it is the most obvious to us in hockey. Average players held down the skilled players for year by clutching and grabbing, and that's why we're seeing roles like goons fade out of the league, because they can't make up for their lack of skill anymore. I dream of the day when we are back to the days when anyone fought if they had to do so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2739065

"The new look isn't anywhere near as bad as what I had been hearing. The horror stories making the rounds included a tucked-in look and a totally vertical design that couldn't allow for the traditional horizontal stripes that can be found near the bottom of just about every current jersey.

Fortunately, neither is true.

RBK Hockey admitted it seriously considered tucking in the jersey, but it skated away from that idea after further discussion and testing indicated a possible overheating problem for the player.

As for the striping, NHL Consumer Product Marketing Group VP Brian Jennings told me that the jerseys, which are more formfitting than the current model, will be able to accommodate that design."

The problem is the NHL is trying to attract casual fans with all the recent changes and gimics. The problem with that is they are alienating the hard core old school fans. I for one think hockey is getting harder to watch, too many changes, too many gimics and don't get me started on the instigator and fighting.

To fix the game they realy only need a few things.

1. Split the difference between the ice size now and the international rink. This will open up the skating and offense.

2. Get rid of the instigator rule, let players police themselves. I am all for the new hooking and holding crack down but the hitting and toughness has been taken away.

3. 3 points for regulation win, 1 for a tie (No OT or shootouts), 0 for a loss.

Get rid of the new uniforms, keep things as they are.

The players are pretty unanimous in the fact that they love the new jerseys so anyone who doesn't like them...tough luck.

And Jetsniper puts the issue to bed. Like a pro.

Bacchus: I find your opinions generally offensive and disgusting, and I think your bias (perhaps not quite hatred, but close) against Americans is obvious, but deeply rooted, so I'm disengaging from that line of discussion. There are some shades of truth in what you said, specifcally about American's production/consumption/waste habits, and taking the compliments with the complaints, but apart from that, I don't think arguing anything further with you would be productive for anybody.

And btw, to emphasize one thing, I didn't vote for George Bush. (Actually, that fact was documented by the associated press as luck would have it. Good luck finding the article. I think it appeared in the San Jose Mercury News.)

1. Split the difference between the ice size now and the international rink. This will open up the skating and offense.

2. Get rid of the instigator rule, let players police themselves. I am all for the new hooking and holding crack down but the hitting and toughness has been taken away.

3. 3 points for regulation win, 1 for a tie (No OT or shootouts), 0 for a loss.

Get rid of the new uniforms, keep things as they are.

I agree here, except for the ties and the new unis. In my opinion, there should be a winner and a loser. 1 pt. for OT loss, 3 for a win, and 0 for reg. loss. (This way wins are more valuable and teams will play for the 2 extras.) As far as the uniforms go, I like them except for breaking up the traditional uniform designs. The habs bar across the middle and the Leafs, Bruins, Red Wings etc... uniform designs should be sacred.

And Jetsniper puts the issue to bed. Like a pro.

:lol:

I didn't really want to elaborate because the rest is a touchy issue. I don't think EVERYTHING the NHL has done was to cater to the Americans but certainly some of it is. The biggest worry right now is getting fans back into the arenas and watching on TV, certainly some of the moves (shootout) have been to entice Americans into caring about hockey again.

But yeah, I read in the paper this morning that Phaneuf really likes the new ones and then I saw the press conference this morning where Turco and a few others commented on how the new jerseys are great. I'm still not sure on them, I did like the old ones but I'm going to wait for the Avs ones to actually be released before I judge them.

:lol:

I didn't really want to elaborate because the rest is a touchy issue. I don't think EVERYTHING the NHL has done was to cater to the Americans but certainly some of it is. The biggest worry right now is getting fans back into the arenas and watching on TV, certainly some of the moves (shootout) have been to entice Americans into caring about hockey again.

But yeah, I read in the paper this morning that Phaneuf really likes the new ones and then I saw the press conference this morning where Turco and a few others commented on how the new jerseys are great. I'm still not sure on them, I did like the old ones but I'm going to wait for the Avs ones to actually be released before I judge them.

Well said.

And well said.

Like I said earlier.... a pro.