Is Latendresse the right (left) winger for Kovalev?

Bullsmith

I've had the thought for a while that Guillaume might be exactly the right kind of player to compliment Kovalev. He's physical, ready to dish the puck quickl and more than ready to go to the net for rebounds. He's young and inexperienced and happy to let the line be Kovalev's line, but at the same time he really is an A level talent, something I feel Kovalev recognizes and values. The fact that he's a bit slow doesn't hurt, as he's not so prone to barging offside while Kovaleve dekes his way into the zone. Frankly, Kovalev's speed isn't what it was anyway.

It's too bad that, at 19, he's simply not in his prime. If he were two years older and Kovalev were two years younger, this pairing could be truly awesome. But as it is, I think the team should let it play out for five or ten games at the minimum. In fact, I think this is the right fit for both AK27 and Big Brother, and with this pairing Plekanec's defensive skills, takeaways and skating become valuable commodities. By the same token, Guillaume adds size so Pleks smallness isn't such a detraction. I say it's a good use of both Guillaume and Kovalev. Finally.

What say you?

I think he's a perfect fit for kovalev. in fact he's a perfect fit for anybody. I don't think anybody minds a big, strong foward on it's line !!

I've been telling people for at least a couple of weeks now that I wanted to see Latendresse play with Kovalev and Samsonov with Koivu. (Actually, I've been looking forward to seeing Sammy and Koivu together since we signed him)

Anyway, I think it's a great line and I hope that it sticks. Each player has the ability to retain the puck with their own styles, which certainly provides time for the others to get into position. Plus, each line needs someone who is strong along the boards, and Kovalev needs that type of player especially as it opens up room for him as 2 defenders will jump on Latendresse in atempt to gain puck control.

The first key to playing with Kovalev is a player's willingness to defer to him. Kovalev is a player who plays best when HE controls the play. And there's very few players who are willing to defer that role to him, just as there's very few players Kovalev is willing to defer to himself.

The second key is to anticipate what Kovalev is doing with puck, a much more difficult task. He may have to make two or three moves to shake a checker. Often times it seemed that a teammate had taken a position to get a shot, then when Kovalev made a deke to get into a passing position, they'd move somewhere else and Kovy would have to find them again, which is obviously frustrating and then it gets him off his game a little. If they stay in one spot, Kovalev will either find you for a pass or he'll get you a rebound opportunity after a shot of his own. I think he liked Ribeiro so much because he figured this out pretty quickly, while no one else he's played with this year, other than maybe Koivu and Ryder on the power play, has. Lats has had a half season to watch him, maybe he's figuring it out as well. And he's got something else for him, he can battle for the puck.

The first key to playing with Kovalev is a player's willingness to defer to him. Kovalev is a player who plays best when HE controls the play. And there's very few players who are willing to defer that role to him, just as there's very few players Kovalev is willing to defer to himself.

The second key is to anticipate what Kovalev is doing with puck, a much more difficult task. He may have to make two or three moves to shake a checker. Often times it seemed that a teammate had taken a position to get a shot, then when Kovalev made a deke to get into a passing position, they'd move somewhere else and Kovy would have to find them again, which is obviously frustrating and then it gets him off his game a little. If they stay in one spot, Kovalev will either find you for a pass or he'll get you a rebound opportunity after a shot of his own. I think he liked Ribeiro so much because he figured this out pretty quickly, while no one else he's played with this year, other than maybe Koivu and Ryder on the power play, has. Lats has had a half season to watch him, maybe he's figuring it out as well. And he's got something else for him, he can battle for the puck.

you really think so? if Ribeiro was so great he wouldn't be in Dallas no?

One thing I've noticed is that often times when Plekanec ends up making the zone entry and Kovalev is right behind him on the right wing Kovalev gets himself open for the drop pass and quick wrister but Plekanec doesnt realise it.

Anyone else notice this?

Kovalev himself has stated, in an interview, that he would reserve judgement on whether Latendresse was a good fit for him. He said that one game doesn't give enough with which to judge. A few more games would be necessary to be able to make a better evaluation.

Makes sense.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Any player thats willing to go to the front of the net and cause traffic and wait for a rebound or deflection is the perfect player not only for Kovalev but also thisMontreal Canadiens team, who seems to have a lack of exactly that type of player.

Nobody wants to go to the front of the net. Nobody wants to pay the price and thats why they are in a funk. Easy for goalies to stop those long shots when theres no traffic and no worry of a rebound being popped home. One of the reasons Latendresse made this team was he was big and physical and was suppose to go to the net like a powerforward is suppose to. Now all they require is a centreman. Plekanec has been hot lately, but I don't think he's the answer

At the first question i say yes and put Koivu in the middle.

Thats a big first line for once other coaches would play their 3third line more to defend against our first line. Instead of having always to defend ourselves becauses we think the other are better than us.

It's been like that forever, we ususally play more our 3 third line than our 2 offensive lines, that why we score no goals- 5-5.

Any player thats willing to go to the front of the net and cause traffic and wait for a rebound or deflection is the perfect player not only for Kovalev but also thisMontreal Canadiens team, who seems to have a lack of exactly that type of player.

Nobody wants to go to the front of the net. Nobody wants to pay the price and thats why they are in a funk. Easy for goalies to stop those long shots when theres no traffic and no worry of a rebound being popped home. One of the reasons Latendresse made this team was he was big and physical and was suppose to go to the net like a powerforward is suppose to. Now all they require is a centreman. Plekanec has been hot lately, but I don't think he's the answer

Exactly. Most of the goals Samsonov scored this year were with a foot in the crease or at least near it. Same for Higgins who scores goals around the net and sometimes gets the odd deflection in. Yet, often Sammy will choose to dart around the circle and lose the puck or pass it, while others will drop it back to the defenseman who will take a shot off that usually gets blocked by an opponent and leaves the zone.

Every line needs someone who isn't afraid to hit the net. Even Kovalev scored his last goal driving for the net. I still want to see Higgins with Kovy and Latendresse (but partly for Samsonov to play with Koivu). That way you could have Higgins in front of the net, Latendresse working the boards, and Kovalev using his skill to get a good pass or hard shot off to the net. It sounds like the perfect plan here but yeah nothing is certain on the ice, so we'll see. Let Carbo figure that one out, lol.

The line did look great on Thursday night but I agree with Kovalev when he says that a few more games should be played before we decide they are an amazing line.

The first goal they scored Plekanec took the hit to get the puck deep to Latendresse the puck and Gui sent a sweet saucer pass to Kovalev. The second goal Latendresse got the rebound on the powerplay and slid the puck to Plekanec on the door step. Plekanec scored from a sharp angle it was a great shot.

I hope they keep it up tonight.

I am for the pairing of the top threats together...

but help analysis this... would it be something the Habs feel they must avoid? the fact that Koivu Kovalev on the same line would create more chances of one or them getting hurt? as in the opposing line will look to smack the shit out of anyone 2 out of 3 times it will be one of the Habs big guns!

I like your points, although you've painted the pairing with an optimistic brush. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but I hope you're right.

Optimistic I am indeed, but I also realize that Latendresse is only 19 and Kovalev's only costant is his inconsistency. I don't expect them to dominate (well maybe once in a while,-oops, there goes that optimistic brush again) but I do think putting them toghether on the 2nd line is the right place for both of them. As for which center works best, I think Pleks is a better fit on this line than between Kovy and Samsonov, but I don't really see him as an ideal 2nd line center. Just about as good as we've got right now.

Edited by Bullsmith

devil's advocate or other perspective here....

would kovalev's consistent inconsistency be a negative influence on latendresses's development?

just a thought...

would kovalev's consistent inconsistency be a negative influence on latendresses's development?

just a thought...

It might actually have the opposite effect. Gui could look over and say to himself "Okay, Kovy's asleep tonight...so it's up to me to take over." Gui accepts more of a leadership role, pushes himself a lil' bit harder, and before you know it...he's developing in leaps and bounds.

just a thought...

Ouch, didn't think of that.

Then again he's sitting on the bench watching Koivu every night, so it's not like Kovalev's the only example he's seeing. And, in fact, the whole reason I think that he works with Kovalev is that he's a totally different player, and nobody in their right mind would want him to try and be another Kovy.

It might actually have the opposite effect. Gui could look over and say to himself "Okay, Kovy's asleep tonight...so it's up to me to take over." Gui accepts more of a leadership role, pushes himself a lil' bit harder, and before you know it...he's developing in leaps and bounds.

Dead on! Although we've only seen him for half a season, this seems to be exactly how Gui reacts to players around him. After Higgins came back and he was sent to the fourth line with Lapierre, he stepped up and made that line a force instead of simply coasting in 4th line duty. This kid has genuine character and Kovalev's not going to affect that.

In fact, how about we posit the next step: Kovy takes a night off, Gui steps up, Kovy wakes up becuase he doesn't want to be shown up by a kid.

Edited by Bullsmith