Kovalev: Love Him or Hate Him

smon

I find it somewhat innapropriately negative and not up to the Gazette's usual standard.....but that's just me.

The gazette high standard?? Their main sports writer is that shock jock wannabee Jack Todd, what a disgrace he is. How long was he allowed to rail on Don Matthews for? I cant stand to read that piece of trash newspaper anymore.

IMO Demers brings up some valid points, but at the same time...I can't sit here and let him talk this way about a guy who has 776 career points and counting. He also has 84 Playoff points in 100 games played; pretty damn impressive. But for Jaques to be saying such rubbish about how he only shows up 1 out of 4 games, I can't stand that, and I will use several reasons to persuade all of you. One...There's no "I" in Team. It seems like when he has a night off, not only does he have the night off, but the whole TEAM has the night off too. Second, like JMMR said earlier, and I absolutely agree with him on this matter, the real season begins in April, and Kovalev has been nothing beneath solid in his play. Third of all, I recall Bob Gainey saying that the main reason he got him was because of his playoff presence. Fourth of all, despite him "playing 1 of 4 games", he still is a key component to the Canadiens scoring core, and still remains second in scoring with 35 points.

So, what contributes to his lack of play at times? For one, IMO, Carbonneau's coaching decisions are questionable at times. Ex: putting him on the Penalty Kill (a role that Kovalev should not be doing and so many others deserve that time for). Second of all, for those of you who say we could be atop of the eastern conference if Kovalev would play 4/4 games, think again. Statistically, Montreal has a goals for of 142, and goals Against with 136, a differential of 6. A real conference leader like Buffalo has 178 goals for and 141 against, an impressive differential of 37! Ottawa: 170 for, 138 against, differential of 32. Now, for those who would like to demote a core offensive threat like Kovalev to the fourth line, not only will it take a blow on his confidence, it will also take a blow on his productivity and the Canadiens offence. Demoting and sitting your second best player, despite his lack of effort at times doesn't make much sense does it? Realistically, Rivet's face isn't on a massive billboard at the Bell Centre with Huet and Koivu, Kovalev's is.

Lets cut to the chase, and identify the REAL problems. Saku Koivu shows leadership and is a great player, but for those of you bickering about salary, Koivu is making (4.75)..and has 7 points more than Kovalev, who makes (4.5). The fact is, Montreal's success is limited in 5 on 5 hockey. Kovalev is a key contributor to the generation of offensive opportunities when the Canadiens have the man advantage. You take him and his 35 points away, your looking at a team with 107 goals for, and 141 against. You give him a decent 2nd line center at the trade deadline, the goals for will skyrocket and then perhaps the solution to being atop of the eastern conference comes. He is what he is, you can booo him when he coughs the puck up, or jump in happiness when he snipes one of those wristers right underneath the crossbar. At the end of the day, we're in 4th place in the eastern conference, the guy's got 2 points in his last 2 games. In conclusion, the media in Montreal has too high of expectations, he's only human and theres only so much he can do. Get off his back and let the guy play. I really hope he goes on a tear after the all star break, and shuts everyone up.

GO AK27 GO, GO :hlogo: GO

GO :hlogo: GO

The gazette high standard?? Their main sports writer is that shock jock wannabee Jack Todd, what a disgrace he is. How long was he allowed to rail on Don Matthews for? I cant stand to read that piece of trash newspaper anymore.

The '' usual standard '' I was refering to in so far as their coverage of the CH is concerned was not one of excellence but one of overall pertinence or appropriatness in general.......I am not familiar enought with this paper to propose a rating about it's standard as being Hight or Low......which I didn't.

On the other hand when I occasionnally read it, mostly during play-offs, it's seems that I can never have enought when reading Jack Todd collumns......I love his incredible sens of drama and fine ablitity to write, never mind that he is the most hilarious writer out there and that he loves to make fun of peoples I usually dislike as well, like George W. Bush being a permanent on his target list.

Demers is an idiot. I blame him as much as I blame Corey and Tremblay for the loss of Roy. This guy would actually allow one of his players to come in to his office and tell him who should play and who shouldn't. He was a good coach because he buddied up with the players, not because of his phenominal hockey analysis. Perhaps this style would have worked with Kovalev, but I sincerely doubt it.

Kovalev is doing alright by my books, and he will probably get better as the season continues and Samsonov is ejected either in to space or on to another line.

Also, I agree with most of the people on this board:

Wait until the playoffs Kovalev will be sick!

And all his critics will be sucking his :o

:P

I love the Gazette for Habs coverage, and Jack Todd is AWESOME!!! Also, I'm not sure that you'd be right about him being their main sports writer, not for the Habs anyway. Pat Hickey and even Red Fisher write a lot more about the Habs on a regular basis over Todd, but as far as I'm concerned, Todd is fantastic. as PB said, his writing is fantastic, and I also appreciate his views on not just hockey, but life...

Todd is just a draft dodging Don Cherry wannabee who abuses people to make himself feel like a big man, but without any of Cherry's merit. His writing is amateurish and vulgar, and that's why he'll never be anything more than a gimmick for a small time newspaper when everyone with real talent at the gazette has moved onto writing for national papers or TV. What a HACK, and an asshole. I wish Briesbois ran him over with his porsche.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Todd is just a draft dodging Don Cherry wannabee who abuses people to make himself feel like a big man, but without any of Cherry's merit. His writing is amateurish and vulgar, and that's why he'll never be anything more than a gimmick for a small time newspaper when everyone with real talent at the gazette has moved onto writing for national papers or TV. What a HACK, and an asshole. I wish Briesbois ran him over with his porsche.

Refusing to go to Vietnam doesn't count as a bad thing in my books. I don't blame the soldiers who went, but I certainly am not going to knock a guy who stood up against his country and decided not to die for no good reason.

If you want to use draft dodger as an insult, it should be against those who refuse to go fight in wars and still start others (George W. Bush).

There was an outlet for people who didnt want to go, you could be a conscientious objector and defend your reasonings, which many did. People like Jack Todd who ran to Canada just shirked from their duty and left it to more honourable people to carry the weight of dealing with their countries' problems.

There was an outlet for people who didnt want to go, you could be a conscientious objector and defend your reasonings, which many did. People like Jack Todd who ran to Canada just shirked from their duty and left it to more honourable people to carry the weight of dealing with their countries' problems.

Wasn't jail a popular destination for objectors ?

Well who do we respect more? Muhammed Ali or Jack Todd. Ali took a stand for what he believed in and was sent to jail for it. History has vindicated him and honoured him for the hardships he endured for trying to object to his drafting through the proper legal channels. People like Todd who instead of taking the rout Ali did, slipped out of the country in the middle of the night deserve our scorn.

Well who do we respect more? Muhammed Ali or Jack Todd. Ali took a stand for what he believed in and was sent to jail for it. History has vindicated him and honoured him for the hardships he endured for trying to object to his drafting through the proper legal channels. People like Todd who instead of taking the rout Ali did, slipped out of the country in the middle of the night deserve our scorn.

I'll reserve my scorn for the politicians and beaurocrats who sent the soldiers over to die in a horrible and senseless war, not to mention the countless vietnamese civilians who died as well.

Brisebois rides Ferrari but Jack Todd is an idiot sometimes yeah Don Cherry is always an idiot though.

Actually, here is my Black List of people to kill if ever i turned into a psycho killer :

Dame Nature (i hate that bitch)

Don Cherry

Mario Tremblay and Réjean Houle

Refusing to go to Vietnam doesn't count as a bad thing in my books. I don't blame the soldiers who went, but I certainly am not going to knock a guy who stood up against his country and decided not to die for no good reason.

If you want to use draft dodger as an insult, it should be against those who refuse to go fight in wars and still start others (George W. Bush).

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Brisebois rides Ferrari but Jack Todd is an idiot sometimes yeah Don Cherry is always an idiot though.

Actually, here is my Black List of people to kill if ever i turned into a psycho killer :

Dame Nature (i hate that bitch)

Don Cherry

Mario Tremblay and Réjean Houle

I have no clue who the first one is, but 3 hockey people on your killing list? Worse - two of them former Habs who helped win Stanley Cups?? I can see disagreeing with their moves, maybe being resentful about their managerial contributions to the Habs, but surely there are other people more deserving of death? Osama... anyone?

Joe, I think you have some anger issues, and should talk to someone. I know it says you're in Montreal, but were you originally from Ontario?

(I love cross-thread references) :P

You have probably never been to jail or war so you cannot judge either one. If I had the choice of getting my guts blown out in some god forsaken hell or put in a cell with murderers and rapists or going to Canada it would not be a tough decision.

Show me a worthwhile cause and I will back you up but I am not idiot enough to ruin my life for some rich heartless coward who only wants more money.

Hey Im not saying I wouldn't run either, I don't know. Im just saying I have a lot of respect for the guy who stays and fights for what he believes in even if means going to jail, and I don't respect the guy who just skips town instead.

Especially when that person becomes a smartass writer who in compensation for a lack of talent builds his career around a gimmicky act of badmouthing people, people who've mostly accomplished a helluva lot more than he did like Don Matthews, which takes a lot of nerve since Matthews served in the US marines BTW. jack todd is a craptacular little snake.

You have probably never been to jail or war so you cannot judge either one. If I had the choice of getting my guts blown out in some god forsaken hell or put in a cell with murderers and rapists or going to Canada it would not be a tough decision.

Show me a worthwhile cause and I will back you up but I am not idiot enough to ruin my life for some rich heartless coward who only wants more money.

For anyone who's served in the Armed Forces its not at all about dying or getting maimed for some heartless coward who wants more money. That never enters into the warrior's thoughts.

A person who joins the military, specifically the Infantry, artillery or other combat arm goes to war because his buddies are going and he wants to be there with them and not let them down. Because when things go to shit, your first thoughts are not about the guy who sent you there but of the guy next to you.

And absolutley I'd rather be in a god for saken hell hole than in prison with murderers and rapists.

As for Kovalev, I love him when he plays well and with passion and hate him when he looks disintereted and floats....just like everyone else

Scorn as you please but scorn is not the response those kids received from our goverment when they where trying to escape the nighmare that had been imposed on them. They where still teens barely discovering what

their country was all about, what their goverment was all about and what the war was all about...... all of a sudden they where being asked to give their life to an ill defined concept and to go kill people in a foreign country.

The kids that couldn't identified their young self with the militaristic nature of their country nor the grotesque prospect of serving it in the gigantic carnage they had created abroad....had but a few options.........should anyone care about which options they took ? Come on,.... they shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.........and that's why I guess they where all exonerated later in 1977 by their goverment.

40,000 draft dodgers, resistors and desserteurs made their way in Canada and despite the amnesty of 77 half of them decided to remained Canadian and to keep on living here............I am glad Jack Todd is one of them

cause I am a Habs fan and I lovvvvve his writing about the Canadien during the playoffs.

Hey guys look at the topic of this thread. I think the mods should close it because this is light years away from the original topic.

Who cares if it's off topic. Lots of threads go off topic and we're still having an intelligent, respectful conversation. No one's gone out of line, we're just expressing different views.

Scorn as you please but scorn is not the response those kids received from our goverment when they where trying to escape the nighmare that had been imposed on them. They where still teens barely discovering what

their country was all about, what their goverment was all about and what the war was all about...... all of a sudden they where being asked to give their life to an ill defined concept and to go kill people in a foreign country.

The kids that couldn't identified their young self with the militaristic nature of their country nor the grotesque prospect of serving it in the gigantic carnage they had created abroad....had but a few options.........should anyone care about which options they took ? Come on,.... they shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.........and that's why I guess they where all exonerated later in 1977 by their goverment.

40,000 draft dodgers, resistors and desserteurs made their way in Canada and despite the amnesty of 77 half of them decided to remained Canadian and to keep on living here............I am glad Jack Todd is one of them

cause I am a Habs fan and I lovvvvve his writing about the Canadien during the playoffs.

Agreed with everything you said here, from the war and politics to the Jack Todd writing.

Who cares if it's off topic. Lots of threads go off topic and we're still having an intelligent, respectful conversation. No one's gone out of line, we're just expressing different views.

Agreed with everything you said here, from the war and politics to the Jack Todd writing.

ORDER ORDER I for one am glad the topic shifted away from Kovalev... (me as in a Believer in Him and in his play during the playoffs..)

Buttttt as much as I hate to admit it ... thiese threades should be arranged orderly and this particular one sent to Lounge and continued there!

otherwise we have CHAOS... :) Go Politics GO!

ORDER ORDER I for one am glad the topic shifted away from Kovalev... (me as in a Believer in Him and in his play during the playoffs..)

Buttttt as much as I hate to admit it ... thiese threades should be arranged orderly and this particular one sent to Lounge and continued there!

otherwise we have CHAOS... :) Go Politics GO!

Order, order, this is exactly what's missing in Pierre et Yvon's work at RDS......they keep shifting our attention away from the ongoing game.........but here on the forum there is no ongoing game except our very participation in it.....so a thread that remain active as a result of the people interaction within a it....is still a good thing even thought it has shifted away from the original entry.....and even more so, I guess,....if the initial subject has already been effectivelly dealt with......order can go a long way but there should always be some room for improvisation......a little like the Duke Ellington Ensemble's well constructed pieces or the ones from the Frank Zappa's Mother of Invention.