Habs Cap Situation

JMMR

I was going to post this in that 2nd liner centre thread but I believe this needs a place of its own.

The Habs have a lot more room under the cap than they have let on.

All numbers are approximates not to the exact penny.

Dandenault, Bouillon and Higgins missed considerable time and Begin is still out.

That means the portion of their salary will not be counted against the cap.

So by my calculations the Habs look something like this.

At the beginning of the year the Habs had a cap hit of $42,912,000

Dandenault cap hit is $1.725mil. Per game that is $21,036 He missed 12 games = $252,432.00

Bouillon cap hit $1.875mil. Per game that is $22,865He missed 19 games = $434,435.00

Begin cap hit 1.057mil. Per game that is $12,890He has missed 20 games (thus far) = $257,800.00

Bringing the Canadiens cap hit to = 42,912,000-944,667= 41,967,333

The Habs also had

M. Grabovski up for three games $25,609

Also Max Lapierre has now been up for 13 games $92,479 (thus far)

$41,967,333+$25,609+$92,479 =42,085,421

Assuming Lapierre remains with the team for the rest of the season the Habs will have to add + $234,755.00.

But Begin could also be out the rest of the year and Murray could get sent down any time.

Murray -$241,463.00

Begin -$425,378.00

This means the Habs cap hit could be as low as $41,653,335 or as high as $42,987,017 but that would mean Murray Lapierre and Begin are all back after the All Star break and stick with the team until the Feb 27th trading deadline.

So here is the conclusion sorry for the long post.

Best case scenario and quite plausibly the Habs hit Feb. 27th with a cap hit near $42,000,000 leaving them $2,000,000 under the cap with 16 games remaining in the season. This means the Habs can acquire $10,250,000 worth of players which is if I say so quite a lot.

Worst case scenario the Habs come in around 43,000,000 with 16 games left and have 1,000,000 left for 16 games meaning they can acquire 5,125,000 which is not bad either. The only issues is waiting until that very final day to make the trade.

JMMR, HabsWorld's very own capologist! :D

Dude, I'd totally agree with you, but you lost me somewhere between calculations and trade.

Half-kidding of course. Didn't know that guys don't count against the cap if they're injured. I thought that was only for long-term injuries?

Also, what did you mean by "the Habs can acquire $10,250,000 worth of players"?

I'm guessing it's because we'll only have a small portion to pay of their salary considering most of it has been paid (by Feb. 27th). But still, $10M seems like a lot. I mean, it's more of a comment on the state of the cap, funny that teams could actually pull off something like that. Have to be smart about it though, not like in the past where a team like Toronto or the Rangers could pull anyone in.

yeah, doesn't it only get deducted if the player is on injured reserve?

10 mill player is full season, but since we would only have them for 16 games, so the math goes, it is only 2 mill.

Good analysis, but you overlooked one particular factor. I'm pretty sure that at any given time you cannot burst the cap in annual salary either. So that we couldn't acquire 10M, althought that'd certainly fit in the annual budget, at that given time our yearly payroll would be 52M and that'd be forbidden... anyways, that was my understanding, I could be wrong.

Good analysis, but you overlooked one particular factor. I'm pretty sure that at any given time you cannot burst the cap in annual salary either. So that we couldn't acquire 10M, althought that'd certainly fit in the annual budget, at that given time our yearly payroll would be 52M and that'd be forbidden... anyways, that was my understanding, I could be wrong.

I believe you could acquire 10M worth of players at the deadline if they were unrestricted next season.

If they were not unrestricted I believe you would have to trade, release or buyout somebody to fit them under

next season's cap. New Jersey was way over the cap and sent guys to the minors, bought salaries out and left Mogilny on the IR until they got under the cap in order to activate Elias last season.

If I remember correctly, if you buy a player out, their salary still counts towards your cap. Unless you mean they did it during the time when teams were allowed to buy out players b4 the cap was put into place. (There was a window where teams were able to do this before the 2005-2006 season)

We can definitely fit both Souray and Markov into our cap next season. The only problem is whether or not they want to stay in Montreal.

I thought the salary/cap system worked the same way as you guys...if the player is on the unjured reserve then their salary doesn't count against the cap during the duration they were on the reserve....but on another board my logic was refuted. It makes sense...and if true then the Habs do not have the extra cap room from players such as Higgins, Bouillion and Dandenault being injured. Here is the explanation I got:

"

LONG-TERM INJURIES

A player is considered to have a bona-fide long-term injury if, in the opinion of the team, the player has an injury which will cause him to miss at least 10 games and 24 days. Even in such cases, the player's salary will continue to count against the team's Upper Limit. This is mentioned at least three times in the CBA, and is repeated in Article 50.10(a):

All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play – being either injured or suffering from an illness – shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, as well as against the Players' Share.

For players with an LTI, the team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary with as many replacement players as needed, provided that when the injured player is activated the team comes into compliance with the cap immediately. The team does not get to automatically tack on the amount of the injured player's salary to the Upper Limit - an example as illustrated in Article 50.10(d) of the new CBA (reported in several places) illustrates this point:

(a) Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

So - just because a player has a long-term injury does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. A team with a payroll of $33 million that has a player making $4 million get injured doesn't gain any extra cap space as a result; a team at $37 million and a player at $4 million only gains $2 million (all pro-rated, of course). Relief toward the salary cap only comes if replacing an injured player's salary would push the team over the cap, and the amount of relief is limited to the amount the team would go over the cap - not the entire amount of the injured player's salary"

If I remember correctly, if you buy a player out, their salary still counts towards your cap. Unless you mean they did it during the time when teams were allowed to buy out players b4 the cap was put into place. (There was a window where teams were able to do this before the 2005-2006 season)

We can definitely fit both Souray and Markov into our cap next season. The only problem is whether or not they want to stay in Montreal.

You can buy a player out over 2-3 years like the Leafs did with Domi. They owed him 1.5 million and paid it out over 2 seasons creating a $750,000 cap hit for this year and next instead of 1.5 mil for this season.

So you can lessen the hit, but the amount will remain against the cap.

You can buy a player out over 2-3 years like the Leafs did with Domi. They owed him 1.5 million and paid it out over 2 seasons creating a $750,000 cap hit for this year and next instead of 1.5 mil for this season.

So you can lessen the hit, but the amount will remain against the cap.

Ahh, cool. Didn't know that one. Not too bad then. :D