Concordia calls for end to 13-year freeze on tuition

Pierre the Great

Don't worry Matt, you can always sell your body for certain "services" ;)

Dude, I'm already doing that and I'm still poor.

Funny I was reading the article I looked up tutition for Concordia and its only 11k that blew my mind thats so freaking cheap. This one school in Seattle that I might go to is 30k a year for example.

Then I read that its only like a thousand something for in provincial people. Amazing.

Yeah, I figure it will cost me at least $8,000 and at most $12,000 to attend uni over the next 4 years. Which isn't bad, but when you're used to cheap schooling, it's rough. :P

One college semester (pre-university programs) is about 500$ max, about 800$ for some technical programs. All this is in Quebec.

In university, you pay according per credits (depends where you got but some classes are 3 credits, some 4 credits and so on) and it's about 55$ per credit. To be considered a full time student at my school (I don't know if it's the same in other universities in Quebec) you need to have 14 registered credits. With books and all, it comes out to an average of 1200$ per semester of university.

The school I went to was $30,000 for tuition, housing, and food. Notre Dame was closer to $40,000, so when UD offered me a half scholarship based solely on my test scores (32 ACT, 1400 SAT, back when the SAT was out of 1600), I gave up the Notre Dame dream. Got in early admission, but they don't give academic scholarships. Since my parents own our home, my Dad's been here for over 30 years, that was seen as an asset that could have been used to pay tuition, so I didn't qualify for any need-based aid, even though we'd only have been able to pay for 2 years without having to go the loan route. Since we could afford 4 years at UD, the decision was easy.

Not so much shocked as I was surprised at how oblivious I was, haha.

:lol: I'm not catholic but since the 'home team' that everyone roots for is SLU (ever thought about going there?) Guys on the radio always talked about created a 'Catholic Super Conference' for basketball. Marquette, SLU, Dayton, Boston College, Notre Dame, Xavier, Georgetown, Saint Joseph's, Seton Hall, Depaul, St. Bonaventure and more I just can't think of all of them at the moment. Basically Every Catholic school East of the Mississippi would be in one giant conference for basketball.

wow, some of these figures you guys are throwing out are blowing me away.

I attend Seneca for 1500 a semester + miniscule book costs.

:lol:

community college here isn't even that cheap!

If I went full time at St. Louis Community college it would cost me anywhere between 2k and 3k a semester and thats considered a steal.

In-state Mizzou is 8 to 11k

If I went to U of I (Illinois) it would be in the Mid 20's

And if I went to U of W (University of Washington) that would set me back a cool 30k. these are all 'public' schools. public education.

The school I went to was $30,000 for tuition, housing, and food. Notre Dame was closer to $40,000

Those figures just blow my mind. No one should have to pay those kinds of figures to learn how to learn. It certainly is an effective way to keep the have nots in the have not category.

Just for comparison, med school in canada is considered expensive between 15-20K for tuition plus whatever costs in books and yadda yadda. The only difference being that once finished you're guaranteed work right away for the next 50 yrs and a good standard of living. It would definitely be a different situation to come out with an Arts degree after paying those fees and have less desirable prospects.

Those figures just blow my mind. No one should have to pay those kinds of figures to learn how to learn. It certainly is an effective way to keep the have nots in the have not category.

Just for comparison, med school in canada is considered expensive between 15-20K for tuition plus whatever costs in books and yadda yadda. The only difference being that once finished you're guaranteed work right away for the next 50 yrs and a good standard of living. It would definitely be a different situation to come out with an Arts degree after paying those fees and have less desirable prospects.

Well, both of those are private schools, so the tuition is much higher than the state schools. Still outrageous, considering the stupid crap they do with the money. i.e. ripping up the on campus tennis courts and putting down thousands of dollars worth of sod to make a "green area."

And also in the US, being a doctor is no longer the glamour job it used to be. Between HMOs, skyrocketing malpractice insurance costs, and long hours, doctors are no longer getting rich easily. Sadly, idiotic lawsuits are becoming as difficult to deal with as the diseases themselves.

P.S. Grade shool where you learn how to learn, maybe even high school to a degree. College is for learning how to do a job and succeed in the workplace.

:lol: I'm not catholic but since the 'home team' that everyone roots for is SLU (ever thought about going there?) Guys on the radio always talked about created a 'Catholic Super Conference' for basketball. Marquette, SLU, Dayton, Boston College, Notre Dame, Xavier, Georgetown, Saint Joseph's, Seton Hall, Depaul, St. Bonaventure and more I just can't think of all of them at the moment. Basically Every Catholic school East of the Mississippi would be in one giant conference for basketball.

They actually used to have a Catholic Conference back in the old days, at least I'm pretty sure they did.

No, never thought about SLU. Outside of Notre Dame, I preferred to stay in-state. Lower tuition, closer to home, that kind of thing. I guess I did apply to one other school in Indiana, but only because my Dad went there, I never really considered going there. After finding out I got no money from ND, my choices were between UD and Miami University. Miami, where my Dad went to grad school and has contributed to regularly over the years, not give me much scholarship money. Plus, I didn't like the aura of the campus. It felt very elitist, very clique-ish. A ridiculous percentage of the students participate in Greek life, for which I had no desire. Basically, I got the feeling they thought the were better than everyone else.

Thus I wound up at UD, even though I only applied there because it was free and my parents made me apply to more than three schools, lol. Ended up liking the campus, got good money, and a couple of friends were going there.

Quebec should follow Ontario's lead on fees, university's president says

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Students are so selfish... I was one not so long ago, and I was thinking the same...

CRAP we pay only 800$ or so per semester!!!! THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!

We could pay 5 - 10 Times that amount and that'd still be VERY CHEAP compared to most other contries/ states / provinces...

Student in Med at McGill : MAX 4000$ per YEAR.

@ U of T : 15-20k per year

@ anywhere in the states : MIN 30k CDN $ per year

And you know what? These students, even if it was 30k per year, would certainly repay that in their first 5 years of work...

The other joke is that we are funding "ass grabbers". I'm one of those who cannot work with my hands... I have to work with my brains, cause otherwise, I have no "hands" talent... However, they are SO SO SO pimping EDUCATION

(and "free" education)

not only are they pushing themselves deeper in the Shit by wanting more State funds leechers, they are removing all initiative from these younglings to go into more practical / manual works...

There is a shortage in about every field (electricity, construction, industrial welding, name it!) Meanwhile, there are (and I'm sorry to these students, but one day, they'll have to face the truth) thousands of useless philosophy/sociology (etc) students FUND LEECHERS. :(

If you wanna study something that will NEVER benefit to the MASS, you SHOULD PAY!... I mean, I value philosophy, sociology (etc)... but it is not "useful" to society. It's not a profitable study. It's something that is interesting to know for the betterment of mankind maybe... Maybe they should make these classes MANDATORY early on... but to have a FREE DEGREE in uselessness... ######off...

I'm sorry again :)

Yeah my parents went to Valparaiso. I visited it on a vacation once and I immediately did a big hell no. Funny my entire life has been this journey of running away from the past. Everywhere I seem to go my name follows me and they either know my dad or my mom somehow. Everywhere I've been its oh your so and so's kid. Then I'm suppose to have this 'expectation' of being my father. I can't be my father I'm not a child prodigy sorry folks. No I can't play the piano/organ like he can and no I'm not super smart like he was. So where's the best way for me to 'become my own'? Way out west where my parents have never been although I've had relatives that have gone to this one school but thankfully we don't share the same last name. And then there's Canada. Doubt they know who I am there. One of these days I've got to stop running...

It is about time that tuition went up at Concordia. Everyone thinks that an inexpensive education is good, but it can become detrimental when budgets are so tight that they have to get lesser scholars, lesse facilities, smaller libraries, etc.

Furthermore, higher costs keep the slackers out.

For the classes I want to take, it was about $7000-$8000 a year for SAIT and MRC. U of C is around $12 000 a year. Obviously not expensive when you compare it to other schools but thats still a lot of fuggin money for a 4 year degree.