Who's your all time hero?

JoeLassister

My choice is questionable, but it is Dwayne Douglas Johnson aka "The Rock". I explain; this man really knows how to live completely his life. He played professional football for Toronto Argonauts, made millions of dollars as a superstar of the WWF and so played cinema in super productions.

The man really can say : Man, I've been there, done that. What's next for this man?? This is what I think life should be for... be there, do that...

Edited by JoeLassister

Huckelberry Finn, he floated down the Mississippi without any shoes on, and smoked from a corncob pipe.

True heros only exist in fiction ... it is the only way you can have the pure concentration of what you admire without the negative attributes which make us all human.

any one whos been on the front in WWII. I'm a huge WWII fan and just to think what men younger then I am did is just overwhelming.

these men did something I would never imagine doing. I had a grand father who went to war but he died too early for me to ask questions or for him to be comfortable talking about it.

My choice is questionable, but it is Dwayne Douglas Johnson aka "The Rock". I explain; this man really knows how to live completely his life. He played professional football for Toronto Argonauts, made millions of dollars as a superstar of the WWF and so played cinema in super productions.

The man really can say : Man, I've been there, done that. What's next for this man?? This is what I think life should be for... be there, do that...

:huh:

After his graduation from the University of Miami, Johnson, who was not drafted by the NFL, signed a three-year contract with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League, but was cut from the team 3 months later, without playing a game

Biggest star in Wrestling, ever. Guaranteed.

Anyway, mine would be Patrick Roy. Was my hero from the time I was a kid and as I grew up. Probably not anymore though, I'd honestly have to say my father.

You're right dude Stampeders. Anyway GO ALOUETTES GO.

One of my other heroe would be Deion Sanders playing Major Leagues Baseball and NFL simultaneously.

Winston Churchill.

Warrior, Leader, Painter, Writer, Linguist. Excelled in all those areas, and was an honourable man too.

Honourable mention to Niccoli Machiavelli. Brilliant philosopher who understood human nature like no other. Misunderstood and misrepresented by most.

hhhhmmm

Politics:

Trudeau

FDR

Olof Palme

T. Douglas

MLK Jr.

Orwell

Sports:

Richard

Roy

Tiger Woods

Jesse Owens

Terry Fox

Jim Brown

Satchel Paige

Jesse Robinson

Roberto Clemente

Family:

Opa (grew up on dirt floors in hungary)

Oma (was in a soviet works camp/gulag for 4 years after the war as a teenager)

Dad (had to deal with racist neighbours, Nazi taunts because his parents didn't speak english very well and delt with extreme pressure as a musical prodigy)

Mom- grew up in a rural backwards community where she was expected to stay at home on the farm and raise kids. The only girl in her class to graduate hs, was scolded for wanting to go to college. Shed her conservative rural upbringing.

Winston Churchill.

Warrior, Leader, Painter, Writer, Linguist. Excelled in all those areas, and was an honourable man too.

Honourable mention to Niccoli Machiavelli. Brilliant philosopher who understood human nature like no other. Misunderstood and misrepresented by most.

I'd bet a lot of money that the US was built around Machiavelli's Discourses - I wouldn't even be surprised if the book was in the top right hand drawer of the President's desk in the Oval office.

I like your heroes, by the way. Phenominal people.

I'd bet a lot of money that the US was built around Machiavelli's Discourses - I wouldn't even be surprised if the book was in the top right hand drawer of the President's desk in the Oval office.

I like your heroes, by the way. Phenominal people.

Machiavelli was certainly an influence on Adams and Jefferson. Definitely an influence on Neo-cons too, who are trying in Iraq as we speak to be act out Machiavelli's advice on founding new republics (albeit through the democratic institutions of an existing republic instead of through a foundling prince who re-orders it into a republic solely with his own powers of rule). Oddly, the best translation of Machiavelli's works are by a Neo-Con straussian, Harvey Mansfield, because they are so anal about details, being a necessity and all for their crazy work.

Machiavelli was certainly an influence on Adams and Jefferson. Definitely an influence on Neo-cons too, who are trying in Iraq as we speak to be act out Machiavelli's advice on founding new republics (albeit through the democratic institutions of an existing republic instead of through a foundling prince who re-orders it into a republic solely with his own powers of rule). Oddly, the best translation of Machiavelli's works are by a Neo-Con straussian, Harvey Mansfield, because they are so anal about details, being a necessity and all for their crazy work.

Thats so head in the clouds ideology its not even funny. Thats a utopian view of the world that does not exist. People have to want change you can't force it down there throats which is what Bush's view of the Middle East is. Problem is people don't read their history books anymore.

My translation is by Leslie Walker (with Brian Richardson). Would you think your translation would be significantly better? If so, I might have to track one down.

My translation is by Leslie Walker (with Brian Richardson). Would you think your translation would be significantly better? If so, I might have to track one down.

Well at university I took a high level POLI SCI course about Machiavelli taught by an eminent scholar on him (and probably the best prof Ive ever had) and he highly recommends this guy. Mansfield is a Straussian (The guys who think you can decipher secret messages in the bible and stuff by coming the first letter of every 3rd paragraph, etc.) so it is VERY thourough since the non-Italian speaking members of that club rely on precise translations to go about their studies, my prof highly recommended it and said too many translations play loose key phrases which is a travesty considering how carefully Machiavelli chose his words to get points across.

My professor was familiar with a number of them and said this was the most precise to Machiavelli's words, in modern english words (as opposed to 16th century english) but without introducing slang or formatting it in more modern expression and flow, and of course, without introducing any slants (like putting "conquer" instead of "acquire" for example). So I'd recommend checking out a copy of Mansfield's versions (of the prince, and the florentine histories too, they're all interconnected afterall) if you seriously enjoy the works.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Many argue that "The Prince", by Machiavelli, was in fact a satire. However, like "The Art of War", it is incredibly insightful as to the workings of power, and the achievement of one's objectives!

I found your version here on google and there are some differences between mine. For example look at the beginning of book II there. Compare to Mansfield's version that reads...

Men always praise ancient times - but not always reasonably - and accuse the present; they are partisans of past things in such a mode that they celebrate not only those ages known to them through memory that writers have left of them, but also those that they are old they remember having seen in in their youth. When this opinion of theirs is false, as it most often is, I am persuaded that the causes that lead them to this deception are various. The first I believe to be that the truth of ancient things is not altogether understood and that most often the things that would bring infamy to those times are concealed and others that could bring forth their glory are rendered magnificent and very expansive.

It is quite different in the version on google.

Many argue that "The Prince", by Machiavelli, was in fact a satire. However, like "The Art of War", it is incredibly insightful as to the workings of power, and the achievement of one's objectives!

The Prince wasnt satire, it was a bit of a job application to Lorenzo d' Medicci (one of the later stage dumbass medecci) where in the book he offered his advice to show how good of an advisor he would be for Lorenzo and would guide him towards glory in history. It was never meant for public consumption and wasn't published until after his death.