Game Thread | Senators vs. Montreal | 01/29/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a meeting ... very happy about the Habs score.

Got a question though, Higgins has been sucking on the score sheet recently. Think he will get benched sometime soon. Couldn't hurt. Time off to rest, and to prepare mentally.

Just got back from a meeting ... very happy about the Habs score.

Got a question though, Higgins has been sucking on the score sheet recently. Think he will get benched sometime soon. Couldn't hurt. Time off to rest, and to prepare mentally.

You didn't get to see the game so I'll go easy, but Higgins looked very good tonight, looked like he was finally getting his speed back, which bodes well. The goals will start coming soon enough, but he looks like the break really helped him recover and he played a very good game tonight.

My thoughts:

1. LOL @ Koivu dodging Neil's hit and Neil plowing into a senator (Phillips i think it was). Hilarious

2. WOW @ Abby's highlight reel save on Spezza. We'll be seeing that one in the papers!

3. Streit and Pleks stepping up nicely.

4. Poor Samsonov, Kovalev and Koivu -- all 3 of these guys put up big efforts tonight and were either robbed or terribly unlucky. Kovalev and Sammy especially could have potted a few goals. Their time will come... At least they're trying.

Again, Aebischer with the incredible save on Dryden's jersey retirement night, the save itself happening right under his banner. Sounds almost magical, hah.

GG

all i could find was that he retired before he would pass his prime... i remember also reading about his retirement at the time in the newspapers and, if my memory serves me correctly, he also retired because he had had enough of the pressure to always be the very best at every game and every season... that was part of the era when the canadiens players won the cup or else they let down the whole 'canadiens' community... (ridiculous expectations)

GO :hlogo: GO!

Read The Game. It's great. And it also gives insight into Dryden's mind, especially as it pertained to his retirement. You have to read between the lines a bit, but he knew that the Dynasty was on its last legs - the whole 79 season was a very strained one, with the team starting to show cracks - and his very great pride would not allow him to return to being where he was in the early 70s, 'better than the team,' as he put it; he writes about the fatigue and the physical toll; and also about weaknesses in his own aging game. It seems to have been a series of considerations for him. Plus, being 31 then was closer to being 35 today in hockey terms...not ancient, but not ridiculously young to retire either.