Deadline Deals 2007

jetsniper

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a balance, for sure. But you've also got to remember that all of our prospects aren't going to make it. Face it, many Habs fans severely over-rate the team's prospects. We've supposedly been one of the top 5 teams in terms of good prospects, yet we haven't developed a single stud. Higgins, Plekanec, and Komi are all good players, but they're not gonna be stars.

Komi will and probably is right now lowercase Foote,.......he's very good, one of the top hitters in the game

Higgins has gone dry lately, but he was on force at the start but a safer estimate of higgins will be a 50-60 point producer consistently. not a star, but a very good player

Pleks wont be a star, and nor was he ever suppose to be

kost, perez, grobovski, lats..all have a chance of being a top two line players......weve seemed to fill our roster with a bunch of players from the farm, whats to argue, im sorry we havent had any top 5 picks over the years (except Price and just imagine what he will become)

Komi will and probably is right now lowercase Foote,.......he's very good, one of the top hitters in the game

Higgins has gone dry lately, but he was on force at the start but a safer estimate of higgins will be a 50-60 point producer consistently. not a star, but a very good player

Pleks wont be a star, and nor was he ever suppose to be

kost, perez, grobovski, lats..all have a chance of being a top two line players......weve seemed to fill our roster with a bunch of players from the farm, whats to argue, im sorry we havent had any top 5 picks over the years (except Price and just imagine what he will become)

Everyone has top two line players, I'm talking about impact players who can change a game. Latendresse has that potential with his size and skill. Higgins looks to be a poor man's Jere Lehtinen long-term, how awesome would that be. But face it, not all of our kids are going to make it. And if our kids have been so good the last 5 years, why isn't the team getting any better?

Sure, one of our kids might be a star. But they also might be the next Ryder. A guy we developed for years, looked like he was gonna be a consistent scorer for us, then he disappears from the schoresheet and is oft accused of not playing hard.

Nagy deal: At first I didn't get it.

1- You give your franchise player only for a draft pick?

2- You give your best player to your division rival, the team you're trying to catch

only explanation: nagy becomes UFA this summer: so dallas lose a 1st rounder for nothing. that's smart then

Nagy deal: At first I didn't get it.

1- You give your franchise player only for a draft pick?

2- You give your best player to your division rival, the team you're trying to catch

only explanation: nagy becomes UFA this summer: so dallas lose a 1st rounder for nothing. that's smart then

I see Nagy with a Detroit jersey for next season... an intuition.

What the Hell?!? Flyers are asking for 2 first rounders and a young NHL player?!?! Are they crazy? I would say : Go to sleep with your UFA which has rubber ankles.

Edited by JoeLassister

That Nagy, inconsistent Nagy, can get traded as a rental and be worth a player AND a 1st round pick would indicate to me that the market this year is completely askew and that a lot of GM's will be taking a deep breath before re-evaluating what they need. If Montreal were in the market for Forsberg before this, they must surely have backed out now. Potentially two firsts and a young star for a rental player (and we'll just pretend that he's completely healthy) still isn't worth it.

I feel that there will be a pause while this information is digested, and we'll see less deals as the deadline looms because everything is out of whack. Nagy is barely worth a 1st round pick while under contract. What does that mean for better players like Doan or Datsyuk? And these UFA's: Bertuzzi, Forsberg. Does that mean Gary Roberts is worth a 1st round pick by himself, or is he just of 2nd round pick quality. This trade smacks of the HWL and not the NHL.

If I'm Bob Gainey, I might take a look at my team and decide that the answers need to be found from within if the cost to improve from without is so exorbidant. Either that, or my interest has dropped significantly down the pecking order to those players who are second tier in the league. The future in Montreal is still bright, but I absolutely could not deplete the cupboards for one or two rental players. It just doesn't make long-term sense for a team that might possibly make some noise in the playoffs, but is more built for the future.

At this rental price for Nagy, Gainey should consider trade his rental players, the UFA next year.

Souray worth what ? Bernier, Vlasik ? No problemo

Markov worth what ? Radulov ? No problemo

Bonk worth what ? Marc-André Bergeron ? Anytime

Johnson worth what ? 2 round pick perfecto

Rivet worth what ? 6 duck of tape and a full jackstrap.Perfect.

Totally agree, Add Ryder to that list.

BG should be able to get some good prospects and picks.

Let the sale begin!

Oh, i forgot, the only player i wouldn't move from that list is Markov. He has to be resigned.

CRazy... the dealine deals are for the 8 teams that are most likely to bet to the semi-finals... and they can mortgage their future alla Tampa or Hurricanes

Habs will quietly stay put till feb27th morning... if anything descent is left and at a reasonable price then maybe... Bob should think of selling some too

Dont forget, when 1st rounders are in question, the head scout is probably asked by the GM about the quality of prospects in the draft. And most scouts agree that this year is a down year as far as quality depth. 1st rounder from a team like Dallas isn't that great a pick this year.

Though is does look like money is an issue. Dallas is picking up a big tab for the rest of the season. As with the Samsonov waivers situation, you see not every team is willing to pick much salary, especially not in the long term. So there is much less "bidding wars" going on.

no deadline deals please... let's keep on grooming our prospects and eventually lose our underachievers so as to build a team of reconning...

everyear there is someone like you trying to protect the Balej and the Hossa... yet we always end up trading them and we always endup not losing anything

we can still trade for not that much of a return:

Locke

Milroy

and depending on the return

Perezhogin

and depending even more on the return (e.g. if he's signed beyond this season)

Plekanec

Told you Jets. B)

Looks like Upshall, Parent, 1st and 3rd for Foppa.....

I never said you were wrong, just thought I'd heard something else.

Nashville is REALLY, REALLY scary now if it's true. I mean, they were scary beforehand but now. Yikes. I wonder if Nashville is in Calgary before the end of the season, I'd like to see this team play now.