Abi isnt so bad...

Aebischer4life

You know Abi's not so bad... he's a GREAT backup and could be a good #1 on another team.

Look at his performances this year:

Very good: 2 on 38 W, 1 on 28 W, 2 on 33 W 4 on 51 W, 1 on 27 W

Good: 2 on 23 L, 2 on 28 W, 2 on 31 OTL, 3 on 34 W, 2 on 28 W, 2 on 36 W, 2 on 39 L

Bad: 5 on 38 W, 4 on 28 L, 4 on 24 L, 4 on 26 L, 4 on 34 L

That's only 5 bad games on 17... 3 of those were 3 straight games in November. So overall he's actually been very good! If you dont count those 3 straight games he has a 0.922 SAVE %!

Only allowed more then 2 goals in 7 games...that's DARN good in the new NHL!

And what a HASEKIAN save he made tonight!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still feel that he lets in at least 1 bad goal a game.

Not always the case, but it reminds me too much of Jose Theodore. Don't get me wrong though, it's not to take away too much from the guy, he does put in some solid perfomances. Made the big saves when the mattered tonight, so kudos to him.

I still feel that he lets in at least 1 bad goal a game.

Not always the case, but it reminds me too much of Jose Theodore. Don't get me wrong though, it's not to take away too much from the guy, he does put in some solid perfomances. Made the big saves when the mattered tonight, so kudos to him.

Possibly, but definitely without the Jose 'tude. I'd take Abei over the new Jose any day. It was getting to the point that I cringed whenever he had a good game, and got interviewed ... he was so damn full of himself.

Abei is a great back up. But we should still move him. He could get us something good, and it is time to give clear some place for the young guys coming up the pipe.

Aebi is OK but he doesn't seem positionally sound to me. I never feel 100% confident with him back there - he's a pure reflex and instinct goalie - which is why he's unlikely to supply consistent #1 calibre goaltending. But the Huet-Aebi combo, a good idea from Day One.

Too bad he always seems to let that 1 early long shot in. Great game tonight.

This is Aebischer's calling card. When he was a rookie in Colorado, he gained a reputation for letting in the first shot on goal and then stopping the rest. It seems he needs to have one scored on him before he settles in, but the settling in is the key.

You can have Jose and Breeze-by back at any time, just let the Avalanche organization know. We'll take a zamboni in return for the pair. :clap:

This is Aebischer's calling card. When he was a rookie in Colorado, he gained a reputation for letting in the first shot on goal and then stopping the rest. It seems he needs to have one scored on him before he settles in, but the settling in is the key.

You can have Jose and Breeze-by back at any time, just let the Avalanche organization know. We'll take a zamboni in return for the pair. :clap:

We'll keep the Zamboni, but we'll send you back Abei for Budaj, or maybe Murray and a 14th round draft pick for that Stastny fellow you got laying around. the_finger.gif

Aebi is OK but he doesn't seem positionally sound to me. I never feel 100% confident with him back there - he's a pure reflex and instinct goalie - which is why he's unlikely to supply consistent #1 calibre goaltending. But the Huet-Aebi combo, a good idea from Day One.

He's definitely earned himself another start. As others said though, he seems to always let in bad goals and in general seems a lot shakier on long shots, which is terrible for defenceman confidence (and as tonight showed, we REALLY need our d-men on the ball).

Anyways, he's a good backup but not worth re-signing this summer when we have the best goalie in the AHL and the best goalie in the CHL waiting in the wings. If we bring one of them in as Huet's backup, it would only cost us 500,000 instead of 2 mill for Abby.

Aebischer was great in the beginning of the season when Huet struggled. There is no way that Gainey will trade his great insurance policy which is David Aebischer. Sure he is more of a read and react athletic goaltender but he is a lot taller than Theo which makes him better in this role.

I think the combo of Huet and Aebi is Fantastic. It's a great way to keep Huet (the real #1) on his toes. I would agree with whoever said (in another thread) start Aebi until he loses. That'll really get Huet back on his feet.

I'm also not sure about trading him or keeping him... If the price was right and we were getting something really good back for Aebi, I'd say let him go. He could net a fairly high return.

You know Abi's not so bad...

I know.. ;)

And what a HASEKIAN save he made tonight!

Don't really like that move. If a goalie has to make that kind of save it usually means one thing..

Aebi is OK but he doesn't seem positionally sound to me.

One thing I noticed in the game against the Red Wings, although he led in two goals he should have stopped, was his position and his mouvement, he looked great in that game. Haven't seen yesterdays game yet, so can't comment, but I think hard work is starting to pay off..

the Huet-Aebi combo, a good idea from Day One.

Amen.

:hlogo: icon12.gif :hlogo:

Brodeur pulled a similar move in the all-star game, and everyone oohed and aahed about it when it was him... :huh: (not here, but in general.)

True, it sure is spectacular.

Fact is that the goalie is down and out. He has to make that desperation move. It's a bad sign, a bad thing.

I see why people love it.

The (goalie) coaches don't, trust me ;)

010406-zubrus.jpg

YIKES!

He's definitely earned himself another start. As others said though, he seems to always let in bad goals and in general seems a lot shakier on long shots, which is terrible for defenceman confidence (and as tonight showed, we REALLY need our d-men on the ball).

Anyways, he's a good backup but not worth re-signing this summer when we have the best goalie in the AHL and the best goalie in the CHL waiting in the wings. If we bring one of them in as Huet's backup, it would only cost us 500,000 instead of 2 mill for Abby.

You can even add Cedrick Desjardins as one of the best goaltenders in the ECHL deserving of a call-up to the AHL. This team is really deep in golatenders...the most important asset.

You can even add Cedrick Desjardins as one of the best goaltenders in the ECHL deserving of a call-up to the AHL. This team is really deep in golatenders...the most important asset.

You forgot Brandon Tretiak in about ten years or so. :P

You forgot Brandon Tretiak in about ten years or so. :P

In ten years from now...you meant Max Tretiak, didn't you ?

What about our chances of signing Dryden's grandson in 20 years from now ?

Our luck with goaltender will never ends.

Abby isn't a #1 goalie and no on any other team he wouldn't be a good #1. He is mega streaky just like Theo and that is not something you can rely on. He had a good game and seems to be building his confidence but he is not anywhere near Huet.

If I hear one more person say Huet was playing poorly at the beginning of the season I am gonna yell! Seriously the guy was still great then, you don't know what you are talking about.

Of course he's not so bad. With the right team, he can be a very good goalie. For us, he's no more than a very good back-up.

In ten years from now...you meant Max Tretiak, didn't you ?

What about our chances of signing Dryden's grandson in 20 years from now ?

Our luck with goaltender will never ends.

Oops, I could have sworn the article said Brandon. My bad.