Ken Dryden

Strummerman

Since I didnt see any thread started on Ken Dryden I decided to start one myself. My memories of Ken Dryden always race back to that dramatic 1971 stanley cup run. The big bad bruins, as dominant offensively as the Oilers of the 80's with Orr, Espo, Hodge, Bucyk, Stanfield, Mackenzie, Green. They dominated the league that year, Espo and Orr breaking all records. Ken Dryden came into the frying pan, and let me say he did stand out, and he exuded such calm and confidence the Habs started rising to the occasion. It was a real upset to a point. As has been pointed out since there were more Habs that made the hall of fame then Bruins from that year. Then the tough series against the North Stars who really were a much more formidable team then people thought. Finally the classic series against the Hawks. Tony O versus Dryden. Tony O was considered the best goalie at the time. Add to it Hull Mikita Pit Martin Jim Pappin etc etc. Ken Dryden blew us away that year. He didn't have to prove much from 76-79 but he had some great games and he was an absolute wall.

Edited by Strummerman

I first saw Drydan play for the Vees at the old Halifax forum, 1970/71 was young and only have a few memories of him back then. Miss the Vees alot, my family had season tickets the whole time Montreals farm teams was here. Still have some great photos, lots of the Carbo era.

Well done Ken !!

Had to love his comment of how people have images of their heros etched in their minds. His would be him lazing on his stick doing nothing at all. It was when he had to face a toguh rush after doing nothing at all for 10 minutes that his greatness showed. What an amazing mind he possesses. He gets my vote for PM.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Six cups in eight years, a record I only hope Huet will match ;)

All kidding aside I never saw him play but have heard my dad and other aged Canadiens fans sing his praises, and tell fantastic stories of his performances.

Six cups in eight years, a record I only hope Huet will match ;)

All kidding aside I never saw him play but have heard my dad and other aged Canadiens fans sing his praises, and tell fantastic stories of his performances.

There are some incredible stats, 6 cups in 8 years, 57 career losses wow, 40 shutouts in only a little over 400 games. Ok people can say he didn't play that long but neither did Bobby Orr.

237 games. That's how many games Dryden played in the NHL before he lost 2 games in a row. Yes that's five years from his first NHL game until he lost back to back games. AMAZING!!!!

I found myself actually crying during the ceremony. His speech especially, I was balling. LOL. He brought back so many memories for me. Hearing on the radio that some new kid was going to start for the Habs, watching him from way up in the greys as a kid, him reminding us of the great Roger Doucette (sp), his beautiful prose....on and on he went and I got awfully nastalgic.

I was involved in the CBC "Canada Russia 72" and I learned how important he was to the team, to Canada, he was so bright, so talented...

Very proud of the guy. Quite the human being. And a Montreal Canadien!!!!

Edited by Habsterr