Game Thread | Montreal vs. Penguins | 02/01/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here we go again, STOP blaming the refs. What Souray did was STUPID and it cost his team. I am all for getting rid of the instigator rule, i have said it all year, but since when does a CLEAN hit need an overreaction like that. If it was a dirty hit, by all means jump in and pound him. Pittsburgh didn't jump Lapierre. They got the extra point. Stupid plays and bad decisions has been a problem with this team all year.

As for the game, i thought the 3rd and 4th line were great, third line scoring and the 4th line did exactly what they were suppose to.

The work ethic and physical play was there which is nice to see 2 games in a row.

The D zone coverage was shakey again, I agree with KAOS, as much as i like the coaching staff a defensive coach is needed. The Pk was awfull again, is it me or are they standing around around more now then earlier in the year?

The top 2 lines were pathetic again, at times they played hard and had some chances but they need to put points up, that's there job.

I thought Aebi was solid, making some incredible saves.

here we go again, STOP blaming the refs. What Souray did was STUPID and it cost his team. I am all for getting rid of the instigator rule, i have said it all year, but since when does a CLEAN hit need an overreaction like that. If it was a dirty hit, by all means jump in and pound him. Pittsburgh didn't jump Lapierre. They got the extra point. Stupid plays and bad decisions has been a problem with this team all year.

As for the game, i thought the 3rd and 4th line were great, third line scoring and the 4th line did exactly what they were suppose to.

The work ethic and physical play was there which is nice to see 2 games in a row.

The D zone coverage was shakey again, I agree with KAOS, as much as i like the coaching staff a defensive coach is needed. The Pk was awfull again, is it me or are they standing around around more now then earlier in the year?

The top 2 lines were pathetic again, at times they played hard and had some chances but they need to put points up, that's there job.

I thought Aebi was solid, making some incredible saves.

I totally disagree with you re Souray. I don't think he would have done that had anyone other than Saku been hit. He's the captain, he's a shrimp, he was hit by a very young player (albeint cleanly) who was gunning for him, and, most importantly, he has a history of injuries. It was early in the game, and it was starting to get chippy (yes largely as a result of Max). It was also a bad call to toss him.

Guess we have different philosophies, but frankly, i'd rather have a team that sticks together in times like that even if it jeopardizes a point or two. Souray was sending a message.

If crosby was on my team, i would want someone in max's face IMMEDIATELY had he started to get in crosby's face (although frankly his "butt end" was no where near as bad as the announcers made it out to be.)

the pens cried like a bunch of bitches all night towards Max, but no one ever did anything about it. best player in the league and he's got to worry about rookies getting him off his game. pathetic.

Its an interesting debate - how do others feel? I know how carbo does.

Actually how does Carbo feel? i'm in colorado so i don't get any post game or articles out here.

As for Souray, I agree with you about team toughness, my point is that he could have challenged him instead of Jumping him. He knows he's atleast getting 17 minutes, so if he goes nose to nose with him the Habs may have been shorthanded on 2 minutes.

As for Lapierre, i totally agree, Crosby is a known flopper, he sure did get up quick after no penalty call.

I totally disagree with you re Souray. I don't think he would have done that had anyone other than Saku been hit. He's the captain, he's a shrimp, he was hit by a very young player (albeint cleanly) who was gunning for him, and, most importantly, he has a history of injuries. It was early in the game, and it was starting to get chippy (yes largely as a result of Max). It was also a bad call to toss him.

Guess we have different philosophies, but frankly, i'd rather have a team that sticks together in times like that even if it jeopardizes a point or two. Souray was sending a message.

If crosby was on my team, i would want someone in max's face IMMEDIATELY had he started to get in crosby's face (although frankly his "butt end" was no where near as bad as the announcers made it out to be.)

the pens cried like a bunch of bitches all night towards Max, but no one ever did anything about it. best player in the league and he's got to worry about rookies getting him off his game. pathetic.

Its an interesting debate - how do others feel? I know how carbo does.

I really thought Armstrong deserved a Boarding call, or Charging, or something... and I think the refs over reacted to Souray's response... instigator, fighting penalties, fine. but game misconduct... too much...

I'm glad he stuck up for Koivu, and I'm usually NOT in favour of this kind of stuff (I had a lot to say about that in the fighting thread a few weeks ago...) but hopefully this says you can't hit Koivu like that and get away with it to anybody watching... I'd rather lose Souray for a game for a stupid penalty than lose Koivu for a few weeks to an injury from a bad hit or a cheap shot...

Actually how does Carbo feel? i'm in colorado so i don't get any post game or articles out here.

As for Souray, I agree with you about team toughness, my point is that he could have challenged him instead of Jumping him. He knows he's atleast getting 17 minutes, so if he goes nose to nose with him the Habs may have been shorthanded on 2 minutes.

As for Lapierre, i totally agree, Crosby is a known flopper, he sure did get up quick after no penalty call.

Carbo said he usually comes down on the side of the player (aka doesn't blame souray)

First, there is no way that Souray should have been the only one with a penalty. Giving a 7 minute power play is unheard of when the other guy dropped his gloves and punched back. There is no way you can defend that crap from the refs last night.

Carbo stated that he supported Souray 100% and was pissed about the penalties.

It is obvious that it should have been 2, 5 and 10 for Souray, 5 for the Pens, resulting in a 2 minute PP and Souray back in the third.

Souray didn't jump him, the guy dropped his gloves before Souray got there!

It's shootout Time, Its Saku Time. He just almost fight with a D man late in third period, so he was still being pissed and he would have turn his rage against Fleury in shootout !!!

here we go again, STOP blaming the refs. What Souray did was STUPID and it cost his team. I am all for getting rid of the instigator rule, i have said it all year, but since when does a CLEAN hit need an overreaction like that.

No.

Souray did the right thing. Koivu is a small guy, the team captain, and it's almost an unwritten rule that you don't go too rough on Koivu. He's an injury prone cancer survivor, and half the size of some guys. He seems to have the respect of a lot of guys around the league, and since they respect him in that special sense, they don't go too rough on him.

So when Armstrong boarded Saku, i can see why Souray was angry, and he did the right thing. I was cheering him on outright, as i think most Habs fans were.

Bottom line is:

The refs made some blatantly awful calls, and that isn't opinion, it's 100% fact, and the video replays prove it.

Edited by Cataclaw

Anyone who clobbers Koivu, whether legally or not, MUST be made to pay the price. As the Jason Williams incident showed, Saks is the franchise, whether we like it or not. End of discussion.

And the instigator rule is the single biggest piece of sh*t emitted by in a league that has done nothing but pour excrement over the fans' heads since about 1990. Three cheers for Souray, I say.

I haven't gone through the multiple pages here, only the last few posts.

The hit on Koivu was completely legal in every sense.

Koivu can take a hit, unlike one Sydney Crosby who crumbled like a house of cards from what *had* to be a lighter touch - butt end or no.

Souray was right to take on Armstrong.

Souray was right to be tossed from the game according to the rules today (I think Coach's Corner will make Habs fans happy this time around - Cherry will stand up for Koivu and Souray and will lambaste the league over the instigator rule again... "Alright kids, now lemme tell ya how to take a hit. See that Kovo <McLean: Koivu, Cherry: WHADDEVER> guy? He gets hammered by Armstrong (good Canadian kid with a good hit) and GETS RIGHT UP AGAIN. None of this lolligagging about, he goes right to the bench by himself." *thumbs up*

The refs had a *very* tough judgement call regarding Armstrong fighting back. Any sane person would toss their gloves if only to hold the arms of someone punching him in the head. Did he throw punches back? Sorta kinda it's hard to say. Probably, he should have received a roughing minor at the least.

Big question, though? Where were Murray and Komisarek? Should they not have lined up the guy repeatedly for the rest of the night?

Big question, though? Where were Murray and Komisarek? Should they not have lined up the guy repeatedly for the rest of the night?

Murray probably didn't see much (if any) time against that line. As for Komi, you can bet that Carbo told him not to do anything stupid. With Souray already out, they could not have afforded to have Komi take any stupid retaliatory penalties.

For the exact reasons why everybody is so happy is why I am getting concerned. We played very well tonight, in fact most players had their most hard working game of the season....& we lost. That is not good, you would think when your goalie is on and all your lines are clicking you are going to come out with a W, when that doesn't happen you have to question the talent. I have always used the arguement that if the Habs are on top of their game and playing together they can beat any team in the league, that is what happened tonight and we couldn't pull it out. Disappointing, however this is coming from a guy that never likes to see a loss and never makes excuses for them.

7 minutes on the penalty kill is kind of hard to overcome. The fact they came back to tie it in the third without there biggest scoring threat is amazing in my mind.

I think the hit on koivu was a cheap shot.. u see him line him up and take a good 3 strides in obscurity to hit him when saks had no clue what was coming from the other side. Yeah, u could say he should keep his head up but this was more "sending a message" more than anything else. Thank god Souray came to his defense! u cant let let some1 like that cheap shot ur teammate, let alone ur captain! I was disgusted to see nor higgins nor ryder jump on the fuker.

Souray is a definite leader in my book.

Did i mention i'm going to Sunday's game? :o

I cant wait to see what develops from this :D

Penguins, Canadiens: Down & dirty

"This is the line I put in," Carbonneau said. "All he had to do was put Crosby on the bench. He doesn't have to play his best player against our fourth line."

Therrien responded, "Carbonneau should have looked at our last 25 games. No matter who's on the ice to start the game, it's always Sidney Crosby. He's not going to dictate the way we want to put players on the ice."

"We see more and more Sidney receiving cheap shots in games," the coach said. "It's got to stop. He's the best player in the league. ... The league's got to protect players like this."

Therrien is a dumbass, plain and simple. What he is saying is that whoever hits Crosby should get a penalty, but when we tackle Saku Koivu or trip Lapierre, we can just let it slide, yes, very smart.