Game Thread | Pittsburgh vs. Canadiens | 02/04/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad that the team bared down and fought though all the penalties etc to pull out a win ... during the first 2 periods they didn't deserve to win .. Abby kept it close and then they finally found they're legs in the 3rd. and stole 2 points which they desperately needed. Now if the team can build on this and play like they did in the 3rd in all periods then the sky's the limit.

:ghg:

WOOOOOOOO!

EATTTT IT SID THE BITCH!

That just made my day...not only did the habs win in OT, but Crosby lost it for the Penguins! :D

Players of the game:

Streit, Plekanek, Kovalev, Souray, and Abby were all key

I hope they can use this momentum to get them back on track!

Edited by justintb

Positives:

-I liked what I saw from Kovalev tonight...he was playing smart and was effective on the PK. Set the table for Plekanec nicely on the shot, and the long pass was great (like to see our D-men complete a few like that on occasion).

-Plekanec had two easy shots to make off of rebounds, and he cashed them both in..as he has been doing regularily in the second half of the season. Great to see, I hope he keeps it up.

-Streit looked good, as he always seems to.

-Souray continued to prove that he has become a premiere offensive defenseman.

Negatives:

-Higgins and Koivu looked awful again tonight...that has to change if the Habs hope to get any sort of roll going.

-Lazy penalties continue to abound

I can go to sleep happy.

I wish I could have watched this game on TV. Habs fans who are able to actually watch games on a daily basis tend to forget how lucky and priviledged they are.

As good as a game might sound on the radio, watching our team win with a 2-1 break in overtime just makes you celebrate so much more.

Anyway, thanks to everyone on HW for keeping me company once again. I have really become a HW junkie; one that constantly is looking for his fix...

I hope that the Habs will make us all proud and lay it all on the ice, day in day out. Do it for Montreal, do it for your fans, do it for the history of this team.

Habs fans from the four corners of the world are here to support you. We eat live and breath Les Habitants..

Make us proud.

GO HABS GO

if gainey had any plans of trading plekanec, he must be having 2nd thoughts

he's been playing very, very good lately. nice pass on the souray goal.

I hope that BG wasn't impressed by this victory. changes need to be done.

Nice to get the win today. Much needed. Gutsy comeback after taking too many penalties in the 3rd period. Nice game from Pleks today. Also thought Streit and Abby were key. Johnson seems to have a good defensive presence on any line he plays on. Surprised to see Samsonov scratched. I thought he had been playing better lately and he has been much more dangerous than Higgins, Ryder and Koivu. Ninimaa did a decent job stepping up for Markov.

Nice to get the win today. Much needed. Gutsy comeback after taking too many penalties in the 3rd period. Nice game from Pleks today. Also thought Streit and Abby were key. Johnson seems to have a good defensive presence on any line he plays on. Surprised to see Samsonov scratched. I thought he had been playing better lately and he has been much more dangerous than Higgins, Ryder and Koivu. Ninimaa did a decent job stepping up for Markov.

Crosby made this mistake because we've got under his skin; that's why he wanted to beat us all by himself, which led to the turnover.

Good job habs

If we can bottle the third period then we got it made.

GO HABS GO!

I also agree that changes need to be made, and they are on their way.

GO HABS GO!

Agree with everyones game comments.

Plex and Souray get the nod from me tonight as do the third and fourth liners. Downey and Murray gave it every shift.

Everyone else needs to smarten up and play simple game. The puck does not want to find the back of the net; so keep it simple.

GO HABS GO!

Everyone else needs to smarten up and play simple game. The puck does not want to find the back of the net; so keep it simple.

GO HABS GO!

This should be the habs's Mantra. When they keep it simple and play solid, they win. When they try to be superstars, they lose.

Crosby made this mistake because we've got under his skin; that's why he wanted to beat us all by himself, which led to the turnover.

Good job habs

Nah he thought he immitate Kovalev where he stickhandlers through the whole team, turns back at the blueline and gets set for a shot. Well as good as you are sidney... NOBODY can immitate Kovalev.

Another great game by "Cement Hands" Plekanec...

Now if only Higgins and Ryder could get going too...

Good job habs

Makes you wonder if we might be set for a career-rivalry between Lapierre and Crosby. Might be just like in the old days of Carbo vs Gretz.

Makes you wonder if we might be set for a career-rivalry between Lapierre and Crosby. Might be just like in the old days of Carbo vs Gretz.

great analogy dude. i think if you look at gretz's stats, the team he did the worst against over his career - montreal (ie carbo). dont quote me, but im pretty sure on that one.

Glad we won, but as someone else mentioned in anohter thread, I'm concerned about the benching of Samsonov... but even more concerned about the benching of Markov... Does anyone know if he was actually injured and what that was all about? I hope to God Carbo didn't just decide to bench markov without an injury... a power struggle between these two and Markov won't be back, and we NEED him more than anything next season...

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone's talked about it earlier; anyone have more info on Markov's injury? Did he get in the game yesterday againt NYI? What??

Great game.

I called it!

Hockey Gods did indeed punish the Pens and Syndney.

I would also like to point out:

Despite the impression that we're still in a slump, i think overall we're starting to climb out of it.

Since the all-star break, we are now officially at

Conclusion : Things aren't THAT BAD.

Edited by Cataclaw

That would be great; especially when u hear Lapierre talking about Sid

This should be the habs's Mantra. When they keep it simple and play solid, they win. When they try to be superstars, they lose.

True

Well lots of positives tonight even though the officiating was inconsistent.

Murray and Downey were great and really caused some havoc with some big hits.

Markov is out with a lower body injury I believe, but Niinimaa looked pretty good tonight very confident making some great passes under pressure.

Plekanec has really turned it on he has been fantastic for over a month.

Streit continues to get things done as does his Swiss counterpart Aebischer who was great tonight he did not allow an even strength goal. (there was a HUGE group of SWISS fans in the Molson EX Zone with huge Swiss flags they chanted Streit and Abby’s names all night long.

Kovalev was a force tonight and should have drawn a few penalty’s both in open ice and in the corners.

On the negative side Higgins does not have the same puck control and Koivu is a shadow of his former self this year.