The Big Difference between Huet and Aebischer

alexstream

Fans had no expectation towards Huet, he was just a backup... however, he came up as the Hero, chasing the stinking Theo out of town.

Huet won the town.

Huet plays a couple of bad games... it's a'ight, he's just not on his game.

Huet plays a couple of good games, and woah, he's the next one...

Stinking Theo, who once was a superhero, was traded for Aebischer, one for one, telling to the armchair GMs that he would be on par with Theo's former superhero status: expectations were high. EXTREMELY high... And likeliness to be appreciated by the fans were low... very low... almost NULL.

Aebischer plays a couple of bad games and WOAH!! another Theo. TRADE HIM *freak out*

Aebischer plays a couple of good games and WOAH! LET HUET PLAY; who is that guy stealing Huet spot

Two names, two goalies, almost identical stats...

Two names, two goalies, different treatments... :(

Look at ESPN, they have split stats... look over the first 15 games or so of this season. Then look over the last 15 games or so. What you'll see is that Aebischer better stats than Huet over these two spans... Look right in between and what you'll see is that Huet-Superhero is the nice guy, carrying the team on his shoulders, yadayada... Aebischer the bad backup, stealing Huet's job once in a while...

There is no justice :(

My take is that Aebischer and Huet have two different styles, equally efficient. My take on the long term is that THERE IS a book on Huet. He positions himself well, but he's not so fast. My take on the long term on Aebischer is that he's a reflex goalie, if he learns to positions himself better, he'll become elite... if he doesn't, he'll start sucking soon, very soon, just like Theo.

My take is the rest of the team hangs BOTH goalies out to dry way too much. It doesn't matter how goalies fans, management try to change, unless the 40 shots a night stop, goaltending isn't goping to matter much.

When the Goaltending is the first star of the game, the habs chances are good. When they aren't they loose.

Yep. I agree. Both have been equally good and neither of them have been carrying us on their shoulders. It seems that Aebischer now has a golden opportunity to tak the starters job.

There is a book on Huet. Put a guy in front of him and just about every shot from the point'll get through, especially if it's high gloveside. With a goalie like Aebischer it's just be patient and wait for him to giveyou a hole. What I don't like about Huet is that he rarely makes a spectacular save. I'm sure most will say that that's because he's so well-positioned that he makes it looks easy. But it's also because he doesn't really have the level of talent of a starting goalie. Abie, on the other hand, has got talent but lacks technique. All in all, Huet is the safer, more consistant goalie but Aebischer is the one with more potential who'll step up and save you in key times.

I think both are capable starting goalies though.

Huet did fairly well against Carolina with the exception of the whole traffic in net kind of goals, which most goaltenders don't do well on anyway. Huet is technically superb. He strikes me as the kind of individual who can learn extremely well, however yes his natural talent level is not superb. The thing about him is that he rarely gives up weak goals, floaters, etc.. However he can't make superb out of nowhere saves that we were accustomed to seeing from Theodore in his prime.

Aebischer is pretty much an above average backup goaltender at this point in his career. He has loads of talent but is prone to giving up momentum killing weak goals, hence why Colorado was so eager to move him out of town.

The real question is whether Huet/Aebischer can succeed in the playoffs. The coaches are going to pick one over the other, you aren't going to see them alternating, and it will be up to said individual to carry the team. As we've seen throughout the year, the scoring just isn't there enough.

I've been following these two for almost 10 years now *not kidding* and in my humble opinion, the big difference between Huet and Aebischer is.. between the ears.

Aebischer is hot right now and I hope Guy rides him for a while.

Conspiracy theory:

Huet went to the all star game : Team are too confident when he's in net, leave him out to dry

Aebs had a bad streak some month ago and hasn't started a lot since then : Team is a bit more stressed and backchecks more when he's in net.

Yep. I agree. Both have been equally good and neither of them have been carrying us on their shoulders. It seems that Aebischer now has a golden opportunity to tak the starters job.

There is a book on Huet. Put a guy in front of him and just about every shot from the point'll get through, especially if it's high gloveside. With a goalie like Aebischer it's just be patient and wait for him to giveyou a hole. What I don't like about Huet is that he rarely makes a spectacular save. I'm sure most will say that that's because he's so well-positioned that he makes it looks easy. But it's also because he doesn't really have the level of talent of a starting goalie. Abie, on the other hand, has got talent but lacks technique. All in all, Huet is the safer, more consistant goalie but Aebischer is the one with more potential who'll step up and save you in key times.

I think both are capable starting goalies though.

exactly what I think :clap:

When u look at the last few wins that aebischer got, the team played well infront of him! and the last games Huet has played, they were horrible. The last 2 goals against us vs islanders were give away in our zones, no goalie likes to see that.

The point is that our team can play better, were not getting outplayed by other teams, were just not putting in the effort and not working for it at all. If i was Huet or Abby, i wouldnt be motivated either when ur team gives no effort.

That's also a reason why Aebischer has to go.

The fans and the media loves the underdog. They guy that came out of nowhere, speaks the language and makes the brilliant saves. That's Huet.

And with the salary cap a team can not carry two equal goaltenders. Aebischer is either a great backup or a good number one.

Huet is clearly the better goalie of the two.

The most indicative part of a goalies play is save % and Huet despite his horrendous slump is still top 5 in the league.

That combined with his invitation to the all star game furthers my point.

And check my fave players under my username...

Stinking Theo, who once was a superhero, was traded for Aebischer, one for one, telling to the armchair GMs that he would be on par with Theo's former superhero status: expectations were high. EXTREMELY high... And likeliness to be appreciated by the fans were low... very low... almost NULL.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Abie never inherited Theo's bad Karma, unless you are talking about those brianless boobirds at The Bell center.

If expectations for Abie were to be like Theo, Abie would suck right now, and be on the bench.

Abie is seen as expendable because he is an expensive back-up, and a tradable commodity. That is all.

For the record, Aebi speaks flawless French - I think it's his second language after German, but you'd never know.

I think he means that this city loves the underdog, only as long as that underdog speaks french. I would agree with him ...

Aebischer was great tonight and I really hope he gets a few more starts in a row. I am very happy Gainey has not and will not trade him having an insurance policy between the pipes is so important.