Can somebody explain...

...why Samsonov was scratched for the Pittsburgh game?

I missed the beginning of the coverage, so I didn't really hear the story behind it. But what gives? Sammy had been playing great over the last 3-4 games, I thought. So that's his reward - getting nixed - ?

I suppose we won and that makes Carbo a genius, but really, I don't understand the decision, even with the threat of a more 'physical' game. You're not going to get respect by jerking players around, nor by keeping an unproductive Ryder in the lineup at the expense of a Samsonov who's finally finding his game.

Forgive me if this has already been hashed out.

I too, was surprised by that move. samsonov was playing way better since coming back from the press box while ryder is still playing like SHITE and deserved press box duties.

maybe he's sick or something like that.

3 russians not playing today. mmm...

They didn't explain it from the CBC coverage and the broadcasters for the Habs were interviewed afterwards and didn't mention Samsonov.

Murray Wilson did say that Perezhogin has been benched because he has been taking way too many hooking/holding penalties (22 I believe)

Ego power trip by the coach.

He is a rookie coach and it is showing. A panic move that turned lucky on him.

Since he benched Rivet, Koivu is not what we saw in the first 30 games and very far from what we saw at the Olympics playing for his country.

So he can't bench Koivu friends it would make it worst with his captain.

So bench the Sammy the little russian that almost every one bashing and complain about. Bench Perezhogin and wonder yourself why he is not gonna be back next year.

That all Carbo rookie mistake and every coaches Therrien, Vigneault, Julien same problem Koivu.

We wanted some toughness in the lineup incase someone on pit started taking liberties on our skill players as retaliation for the Crosby stuff

but samsonov has been playing well as of late

Maby Sammy isn't listening and not putting much effort in practices. Maby he's depressed and Carbo's thinking " We don't need that around here right now, your getting the night off"

Carbo will get respect. Yes he's a rookie, but he knows what everyone in Montreal wants and he knows how to get it......

I don't think Carbo's making rookie mistakes either, In the simplist coaching form Carbo is saying "I'm not F&*KING around"..."I want to win" ...."NOW"

Samsonov was playing very well but the Habs were not winning and that is all it really boils down to. Murray and Downey played great today and I do not expect them both to play Tuesday against the Canes.

I am sure Samsonov will be back in the line-up and fired up and play just as well as he was before hand.

i doubt anybody wants to touch samsonov's 3.5 million $ contract. The ONLY WAY we could trade sammy is if we dump our underachiever for another expensive underachiever. Either way, i dont see BG giving up on him just yet. Remember BONK last year?

...why Samsonov was scratched for the Pittsburgh game?

I missed the beginning of the coverage, so I didn't really hear the story behind it. But what gives? Sammy had been playing great over the last 3-4 games, I thought. So that's his reward - getting nixed - ?

I suppose we won and that makes Carbo a genius, but really, I don't understand the decision, even with the threat of a more 'physical' game. You're not going to get respect by jerking players around, nor by keeping an unproductive Ryder in the lineup at the expense of a Samsonov who's finally finding his game.

Forgive me if this has already been hashed out.

ryder makes 2 m a year and as 15 G and 20 A and this is only his third season

samsonov makes 3.5 a year as 7 g and 15A and his not happy in montreal but you want to bench ryder makes so much senses

Well, recent play matters too...and for what it's worth Ryder played with Aaron Downey and Maxim Lapierre yesterday, meaning that he was probably Carbonneau's second choice to be scratched

Higgins and him have really played badly as of late. Latendresse has been too, but he's only 19...unfortunately he's been making moves thinking he's Kovalev but they're easily broken up since he isnt that kind of a player. Kovalev meanwhile well, he floats around here and there but its not new

Well, recent play matters too...and for what it's worth Ryder played with Aaron Downey and Maxim Lapierre yesterday, meaning that he was probably Carbonneau's second choice to be scratched

Higgins and him have really played badly as of late. Latendresse has been too, but he's only 19...unfortunately he's been making moves thinking he's Kovalev but they're easily broken up since he isnt that kind of a player. Kovalev meanwhile well, he floats around here and there but its not new

Im sorry but that Tape to tape pass on sunday was worth his paycheck...(kovaled that is) try to remember the last Habs to pull a similar pass in the last 20 games

Im sorry but that Tape to tape pass on sunday was worth his paycheck...(kovaled that is) try to remember the last Habs to pull a similar pass in the last 20 games

Yeah keep feeding yourself this nonsense. We don't pay him 4.5 million to make a damn pass every 5 or 6 games. It's hilarious how Kovalev can do nothing but turn the puck over but as soon as he makes some routine play that another player scores on out come the fanboys (or girls, I am not sure about you yet Corvina) to rant and rave how that 4.5 mill is a steal.

Perezhogin gets stuck on a checking line and since he isn't a damn checker he ends up taking lots of hooking penalties, suprise suprise. He is a damn finesse player use your brain Carbo he doesn't check!

Well, Corvina I definitely wasn't bashing Kovalev even you must admit that he just floats, you know he's a perimeter player. On occasion he makes a flashy pass like the one you mentioned or he pulls off a deke or two..Salary or not at this point there is lack of a better option.

Markov... every single game. Atleast once. But yeah, I think Kovalev's been doing well recently. I like the way his line's been cycling around the offensive zone. They're really the only line to be doing that. Gui's been getting a bit too cute lately though.