Sergei Samsonov

MAK

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

Seems to me like something is brewing. Rumors have been rampant over the past couple of days, however I don't know if comments and articles like this are putting Habs management in a position of strength.

I personally think that Samsonov can contribute to Montreal if the team sticks with him. However, the contribution that he is presently providing (strong forechecking, non defensive liability) is not worth the 3.5 million which we have signed him for. Samsonov risks becoming last year's Radek Bonk, in other words someone who has had to alter his role in order to fit in with the club. Problem is that that's not the reason he's getting paid all that money. His role can be filled up by someone who's making a fraction of that amount.

IF Bob can find someone out there who thinks that Samsonov can return to his offensive production, thus liberating the necessary cap space which Montreal so desperately needs in order to obtain the 1st/2nd line center which is so badly needed, he would do so in a heartbeat.

Question is, what (if anything) can we get in return and whom will Bob try and obtain by the trade deadline?

Question is, what (if anything) can we get in return and whom will Bob try and obtain by the trade deadline?

we'll a get another struggling player with an equal contract.

by the way. if the trade's made early. expect souray to be gone by trade deadline

######.. I don't really blame him. He's the scapegoat for half a season, they bench him, he takes the message and starts working hard and playing well - then he's benched again. Too bad it was made public, he didn't have all that much trade value to begin with.

######.. I don't really blame him. He's the scapegoat for half a season, they bench him, he takes the message and starts working hard and playing well - then he's benched again. Too bad it was made public, he didn't have all that much trade value to begin with.

Agree on the bolded part. He may have just sabotaged any trade possibility, because Bob won't give him up for nothing.

I do blame him. He started publicly whining from the minute he was demoted to the 4th line - and that was just in practice! It's no surprise he's gone to the next step now, demanding a trade. I agree with both you, and Helmethead: he's been working hard and getting better lately... but still wasn't generating the results that the Habs are paying for. That's all that really matters.

We're in a playoff race, and we can't afford to continue to give him time to find his game. It's been 5 months, and counting.

I dont see how hes the scapegoat. how many opportunities does he need to get a few points. Hes not adapting his play, same old stuff over and over. He only looked good because he was playing with bonk and johnson who know how to get the puck out of there own zone and into the offensive zone and to the net.

I agree BTH, there are plenty of players not performing and i was shocked he was sat out on Sunday. He works hard and seems to have really picked it up playing with bonk and juohnson. I agree he can be valuable to this team.

Helmet Head, i realize that everyone just looks at points compared to contracts, if that's the case the habs have numerous players underacieving and should be sitting out.

could be an interesting week . . . .

it might not be as bad as it seems, Sammy going public and asking for a trade might trigger some interest from other teams -- hopefully it isn't indicative of a deeper problem in the Habs locker room . . .

I agree BTH, there are plenty of players not performing and i was shocked he was sat out on Sunday. He works hard and seems to have really picked it up playing with bonk and juohnson. I agree he can be valuable to this team.

Helmet Head, i realize that everyone just looks at points compared to contracts, if that's the case the habs have numerous players underacieving and should be sitting out.

frankly, i suspect its more than points. carbo is likely asking him to play a certain way (go the net), and he isnt. i also suspect he's no angel in the locker room (crying publicly the first time he was demoted). salary cap is key, and if you're not producing, you at least have to play nice with your friends (and coach).

used to love the guy in boston, thought he was great. havent seen much of that magic this year.

one moody russian is enough.

Trading Samsonov is a step closer to signing Markov AND Souray

It's a step closer to signing Markov and Souray, providing that the Habs really want to keep both of them.

I have a funny feeling that Bob is gonna make a very bold statement. Looking at the depth by position of our team we have a serious need for a bonafide 1st line Center. Gainey knows this. He also knows that it's gonna cost him.

Question is, does he try and swing a blockbuster trade in order to obtain this coveted center or will he wait till this off-season in order to address the glaring need.

I think he might be more willing to move now than later for two reasons:

1) Any help he gets now will help the Habs make a valiant push to moving far in the playoffs.

2) Judging from his experience in the UFA market last summer, it might be much harder for him to draw highly coveted FA and UFA to Montreal.

Teams on the bubble, like Florida, LA, Phoenix, Chicago etc. might be more willing to "dump" high profile players now than they would be in the off-season.

The eastern conference seems to be totally wide open if we take into consideration the funk that Buffalo is currently in. Our team might just be a trade (and a hot goaltender) away from coming out of the East.

Sammy for Smolinsky might not be that bad. Depends on what other center we could get though. Smolinski isn't exactly the right fit, but is probably better than nothing. Jozef Stumple or Forsberg might be better options for us. Will be interesting to see what comes down the pipe.

On the face of it, without knowing the inside scoop, Samsonov was treated unfairly. Foir God's sake, he was finally (!!) finding his game, being creative offensively, looking like the Samsonov of old, recovering his confidence...and Carbo benches him. I was genuinely baffled by that move: he sits when he plays well, and plays when he plays badly, that doesn't make much sense to me. Now the classier thing to do would have been to be quiet about his demand, but NHL players aren't accustomed to being jerked around. As Sammy was IMHO.

Having said that, this team has needs other than wingers and if he can be packaged for a significant upgrade at D or (please please please) C, I'm all for it.

On the face of it, without knowing the inside scoop, Samsonov was treated unfairly. Foir God's sake, he was finally (!!) finding his game, being creative offensively, looking like the Samsonov of old, recovering his confidence...and Carbo benches him. I was genuinely baffled by that move: he sits when he plays well, and plays when he plays badly, that doesn't make much sense to me. Now the classier thing to do would have been to be quiet about his demand, but NHL players aren't accustomed to being jerked around. As Sammy was IMHO.

Having said that, this team has needs other than wingers and if he can be packaged for a significant upgrade at D or (please please please) C, I'm all for it.

Maybe he was treated unfairly. Even if he was, Sammy did not handle it like a professional. A little adversity and you grab your ball and go home?

I say again, screw him.

On the face of it, without knowing the inside scoop, Samsonov was treated unfairly.

I tend to agree with this. Although we don't, and can't, know everything...I do feel as though Carbo mis-handled this situation...I also think he is messing up with Perezhogin a bit...But, I'm just a fan and I know next to nothing.

Edited by Talon

I agree totally, the guy was one of the best the last few games. That 3rd line rocked, i think it was just waithing for sammy to get scoring again. He found himself on the 3rd line, i know he's one of the big guys (money wise) but he was also on of the best lately.

He sure is right to be angry about that benching...it was based on nothing!!

If this trade goes on : Sammy and Rivet for Aucoin, i think Bob will do a 2nd move including Abby, Perez/Ryder to go get a 2nd line center Forsbergh or someone like that. With Sammy gone and cap space, he has 2 choices : Go get a very good center player OR sign Markov AND Souray

Trading Samsonov is a step closer to signing Markov AND Souray

Souray is NOT resigning here, I have an 18 month old daughter and I'm simply not going to be 3500 miles away from her, neither will he. As for Samsonov, he's working his a** off, and should not be a healthy scratch. It sends the wrong message, benching a player should be for worh ethic, not performance. He should ask for a trade.

Souray is NOT resigning here, I have an 18 month old daughter and I'm simply not going to be 3500 miles away from her, neither will he. As for Samsonov, he's working his a** off, and should not be a healthy scratch. It sends the wrong message, benching a player should be for worh ethic, not performance. He should ask for a trade.

and I'd add to that:

I don't have a sports team, but If I had one, I would certainly not pay $6.5M for one player, especially not for a guy like Souray, he has a canon shot, he has leadership, but he's never worth more than $5M and even then, it'd be a stretch IMO. However, I know that teams like L.A. can do it (particularly if they wanna compete with Anaheim)

Good call there. I think we forget about this aspect when talking about what will happen in the offseason with our D.

It is very unfortunate, though when you see the combination of toughness, heart and clutch goals like Sunday, that this guy has provided....I think it far outweighs his slack defensive play at times