Sergei Samsonov

MAK

Maybe Gainey read François Gagnon's blog this morning :

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070206...1006/CPSPORTS01

"Simonac! Si les Hawks ne crachent pas sur Samsonov et qu’ils sont intéressés, que Bob Gainey leur donne au plus sacrant. Peu importe ce qu’il obtiendra en retour."

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, alright so I do want him to get picked up, but I felt I had to be the first guy to say it wouldn't happen. ;)

If he does get picked up, what about San Jose taking him on? He played his best hockey with Joe Thornton. Though, they're high in the standings so they don't have the best chance of getting him. Also, not sure about their cap situation.

Yeah,

he'll be picked up FOR SURE.

I hope its cuz Gainey is preparing for something big (Forsberg) because Im sure we couldve gotten SOMETHING for Samsonov.

I'm sure we could have gotten something like Aucoin... however, Aucoin fills caproom... I think BG wants to clear caproom...

for who? let it be something like Lecavalier or Jokinen :D

but any center would be great...

Yeah,

he'll be picked up FOR SURE.

I hope its cuz Gainey is preparing for something big (Forsberg) because Im sure we couldve gotten SOMETHING for Samsonov.

I am not so sure man.....3.5 mil is a lot for 7 goals in 52 games

Good thread! A few points:

1. Gainey is not the coach, and not responsible for the coach's decisions. We may simply be witnessing his efforts to try to clean up Carbonneau's mess, not some master plan.

2. Samsonov has relatively low trade value, so expecting anything better than a Smolinski as part of a Sammy package is unrealistic, UNLESS a bomb like Souray is included.

3. It's obvious that the coaches fear completely alienating Kovalev by coming down on him. Samsonov, clearly, is not deemed as important to the success of the team - or else, his character has been completely misread by the staff.

4. In nearly a decade of NHL service, Sammy has NEVER been known to be 'difficult' or whiny - not even as the pathetic Bruins were melting down around his ears. This suggests that there is something particular about his experience in Montreal (once again, suggesting mismanagement by the coaches).

5. As for the argument that Samsonov should *suck it up*, I understand the argument. BUT, how many of US would tolerate being unfairly attacked and humiliated by our bosses, especially if we felt that our on-the-job performance was really starting to improve after months of mediocrity? If you were working hard, bearing down, and starting to get results, and YOUR boss came in and publicly humilated you - how would you react?

4. In nearly a decade of NHL service, Sammy has NEVER been known to be 'difficult' or whiny - not even as the pathetic Bruins were melting down around his ears. This suggests that there is something particular about his experience in Montreal (once again, suggesting mismanagement by the coaches).

5. As for the argument that Samsonov should *suck it up*, I understand the argument. BUT, how many of US would tolerate being unfairly attacked and humiliated by our bosses, especially if we felt that our on-the-job performance was really starting to improve after months of mediocrity? If you were working hard, bearing down, and starting to get results, and YOUR boss came in and publicly humilated you - how would you react?

He sucked in Edmonton last year too.

If you were making as much as he is, and weren't doing a spectacular job, you WOULD get abused my your boses.

Good thread! A few points:

1. Gainey is not the coach, and not responsible for the coach's decisions. We may simply be witnessing his efforts to try to clean up Carbonneau's mess, not some master plan.

2. Samsonov has relatively low trade value, so expecting anything better than a Smolinski as part of a Sammy package is unrealistic, UNLESS a bomb like Souray is included.

3. It's obvious that the coaches fear completely alienating Kovalev by coming down on him. Samsonov, clearly, is not deemed as important to the success of the team - or else, his character has been completely misread by the staff.

agreed on all fronts, BUT at this point, I don't think the situation is salvageable, so I hope he gets traded / picked up on waivers so we can move on...

I think he has become a distraction, and they just wanted the distraction gone. Some kids from the AHL can fill his 7 goals pretty easily.

We'll see about the big trade theory. Hopefully, but who knows.

Does anyone who since the new CBA has been signed if any player has been claimed off waivers BEFORE he was actually sent down to the minors?

Sorry to break everyone's bubble, but I agree with Macaskill. It's unlikely sone team will pluck him off the waiver wire and be liable for his 3.5 million.

Mind you I think they'll be a long line of potential takers when Samsonov will be going through waiver re-entry.

Wow, i log on and this is what i find -- bad news about Sammy.

This instability isn't good. Hope it gets resolved soon, one way or another.

totaly agree the team is barely holding it together as it is, i really hope that this isn't as huge a distraction to them as it is to me.

on the other hand it might be just what the doctor ordered, this team went through alot last year and mabie Sammy was just not fitting in personality wise with the other players

Maybe Kovalev went in and complained about a lousy winger (instead of a center) and basically threw Sammy under the bus...

Or maybe Sammy just pissed everyone off....

Or maybe the Koivu / Rivet syndicate told Gainey to lose Sammy...

LOL, in reality, we just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. What we do know is that Gainey has had enough and is trying to get rid of him. I trust Gainey enough to know he is not taking this action flippantly...

I hope somebody does grab him. We can get Zhog back on the third line where he thrived earlier in the season.

My ideal lines if Sammy is, indeed, gone:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson

Murray-Lapierre-Streit

I hope somebody does grab him. We can get Zhog back on the third line where he thrived earlier in the season.

My ideal lines if Sammy is, indeed, gone:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson

Murray-Lapierre-Streit

take murray out for bégin

Mind you I think they'll be a long line of potential takers when Samsonov will be going through waiver re-entry.

The league abandoned the waiver re-entry scheme this season didn't they?

UFA isn't all its cracked up to be. Maybe its a good thing FA don't wanna come to Montreal. They don't seem to work out all that well.

Before he went on waivers there was still the possibility of the deal with Chicago for Aucoin and Smolinski. I'd rather have Aucoin than Samsonov. Defensive depth is always a good thing.

Be nice for him to clear waivers and free up that cap space. May make it easier to bring in somebody to help this club down the stretch...don't really have to worry about messing with team chemistry because there isn't any right now

Its not a given that Sammy clears waivers. I dont know which teams will want to pick up the balance of his 3.5 contract + 3.5 next year, but they are surely not a dime a dozen.

Gainey might just be trying to do what Philly did earlier with Nedved.

I'd rather have Aucoin than Samsonov. Defensive depth is always a good thing.

Aucoin is expensive. Last thing we need is another expensive D unless they take rivet in the process ... or Niimina.

The league abandoned the waiver re-entry scheme this season didn't they?

That is what it sounded like in the offseason, but it reality, the only difference between re-entry this year and last is the salary limit. Last year, players making more than $75,000 were subject to re-entry waivers. This year, the limit was raised to $95,000. So, if a player does not have a two way contract when they're sent down, basically, they're eligible for re-entry waivers. Since 75,000-95,000 was a typical salary for a two-way contract, it was seen as almost a salary cap for AHL players, and unfair to them, since teams were less likely to recall players who even had two-way contracts. Thus they raised the limit, to ease those concerns.

take murray out for bégin

When/if Begin returns, of course.

Aucoin is expensive. Last thing we need is another expensive D unless they take rivet in the process ... or Niimina.

Aucoin is only half a million more than Samsonov though.

IMO, this is very bad news.

this is so unlike Gainey.... to react so quickly or rashly.

I mean it was only this morning that Sammy asked for a trade and 3 hours later he is on waivers?

something is not right here...either something bigger was in the works before Samsonov asked to be traded or Gainey is simply fed up with his crap, or both.

But it just seems to me to be a reactionary move instead of a proactive move by Gainey...this is not something that I am used to seeing from him.

I just hope this is part of a larger plan

Edited by Davehab

Aucoin is only half a million more than Samsonov though.

IMO, this is very bad news.

Yes, but when we are trying to find more cap space, adding additional cap for a player coming off injury who may not really help us doesn't make too much sense.

I don't think we will see a change in D unless it is for a truly gifted offensive D-man, and maybe a trade for Souray ... maybe.

We need a better 1/2 line center more than another D.

I doubt Samsonov figured he'd be 'traded' to Hamilton...

My guess is that Gainey just wants to put Sammy and his drama into the past.

Freeing up the cap room is a nice bonus, though. Since less than half the season remains, we could pick up several nice assets at the deadline and fit them under the cap, instead of mere depth players.