Sergei Samsonov

MAK

So what are the habs options then??? If they don't send him to the minors, he still counts against the cap and from what i understand, he can't play for the habs unless he is put through re-entry waivers.

Garth Murray was put on Waivers without going to the minors earlier this month. So, Sammi could do the same. They might just be testing the waters, or sending him a message. He could be back on the ice against the Senators in a day after eating some humble pie; or he may have played his last game for the habs.

Very unlikely he will go to the minors IMO ... but, I am not Gainey. All things should be clear in a couple of days though.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 mins to go ... and stories take time ... so in reality, we won't know for about 1 hour for shizzle.

More news against the Sens IMO ... unless he is claimed.

t = 0:00

This really should have been Kovalev on waivers, I swear getting rid of that guy could be the single best move this team could pull. I watch the habs now and it feels like the whole team is affected with Kovalev syndrome, show up when you want and only against stronger teams.

Ahwell a shake up is a shake up even if Carbo is making mentally challenged lines, bringing in the worst players in our system, waiving a hard working player who isn't producing and benching our fastest forward who he can't understand how to use properly.

Keep up the good work Carbo :rolleyes: , this year is your rookie year and you get some slack, next year will decide how long you stay. :angry:

WRONG

Kovalev is so important to the Canadiens and Gainey knew what he was getting when he signed him to an extension. Any contending team would pick up Kovalev because he is a game breaker especially in the playoffs.

This really should have been Kovalev on waivers, I swear getting rid of that guy could be the single best move this team could pull. I watch the habs now and it feels like the whole team is affected with Kovalev syndrome, show up when you want and only against stronger teams.

I gotta disagree with this. Having an entire team of Kovalevs would, of course, be suicide but having one is always a blessing. He's got character and although he gets a bit too cute sometimes, he knows how to ru a powerplay and how to set up the play in the offensive zone. Of course, he's frustrating to watch because he's inconsistant, but he's atleast consistant at one thing - showing up when we need him most.

WRONG

Kovalev is so important to the Canadiens and Gainey knew what he was getting when he signed him to an extension. Any contending team would pick up Kovalev because he is a game breaker especially in the playoffs.

He plays moderatly better in the playoffs but that doesn't justify his terrible season play. So one question if we don't make the playoffs how much of that 4.5 million did he earn?

Seriously for 4.5 mill we get a defensive liability, with an awful attitude, poor work ethic, who takes selfish unprofessional penalties, who puts up what 50 points a season and is close to retirement but may or may not show up in the playoffs IF we make them? OOOooooh lucky us!

He plays moderatly better in the playoffs but that doesn't justify his terrible season play. So one question if we don't make the playoffs how much of that 4.5 million did he earn?

Seriously for 4.5 mill we get a defensive liability, with an awful attitude, poor work ethic, who takes selfish unprofessional penalties, who puts up what 50 points a season and is close to retirement but may or may not show up in the playoffs IF we make them? OOOooooh lucky us!

I honestly don't think he's got an attitude problem. He's just getting older and it's harder to maintain his skating and endurance, though he was never consistant. He can't deke out entire teams like he used to and I thinkthat fact's been hurting his pride a bit (he's a proud man). What shows me that he's a character player that plays with emotion is that he steps up in key times. That directly translates from caring about the teams success. He seems to hae leadership qualities off the ice as well. As for his regular season play, he brings things to the table that no one else on the team can really provide. Our top ranked special teams would suffer, as would our offence and skill-level as a whole. As to the stupid penalties, most players on our team take those. Especially Koivu, who doesn't have an awful attitude and poor work ethic - it's what happens when you play with emotion.

Kovalev has been weird and uproductive even by HIS standards this year, and I still think his knee is the issue.

Waiving Garth Murray completely turned his game around, so THAT was obviously a good move.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this Samsonov thing is completely stupid. You don't win, long-term, by crapping on and then dumping your most talented players, especially on a team that desperately needs offensive talent. I could see it if Sammy hadn't been working, or if he had been a liability defensively (c.f. Ryder and Kovalev), or if he hadn't shown the slightest sign of turning his game around. Unfortunately none of those criteria apply.

The last coach we had who made it a point of principle to shit on and ship out talented players in favour of players of limited ceiling but who were 'safe' (in the sense of surpassing limited expectations and doing whatever was asked of them) was Mario Tremblay. He drove Patrick Roy and Pierre Turgeon out of town after misusing and/or abusing both of them, in favour of duds like Patrick Poulin (or Mark Streit, in current terms). The results contributed to years of wretchedness. That, in my mind, is NOT the precedent we should be following.

Yes, Carbo is a rookie and no, we shouldn't fire him. But I'm surprised to see him falling into these traps. And we can NOT afford to lose any more major-league talent due to Carbo's whims; nor can we afford to fail to develop our young talent, as he is perilously close to doing with Perezhogin at least. Otherwise it's 1996 all over again. :puke:

I honestly don't think he's got an attitude problem. He's just getting older and it's harder to maintain his skating and endurance, though he was never consistant. He can't deke out entire teams like he used to and I thinkthat fact's been hurting his pride a bit (he's a proud man). What shows me that he's a character player that plays with emotion is that he steps up in key times. That directly translates from caring about the teams success. He seems to hae leadership qualities off the ice as well. As for his regular season play, he brings things to the table that no one else on the team can really provide. Our top ranked special teams would suffer, as would our offence and skill-level as a whole. As to the stupid penalties, most players on our team take those. Especially Koivu, who doesn't have an awful attitude and poor work ethic - it's what happens when you play with emotion.

Nice spin you got going there, I say he shows up once every six games and you say "he steps up in key times" guess what! ANYTIME can be considered a "key time" If he does have leadership off the ice i'd be suprised because he has zero on the ice.

He plays with emotion you say? Well the most emotion I have seen him exhibit is when he is wronged by the ref and decides he is more important than the team and takes 2 or 3 extra penalites, theres emotion for you. I don't quite remember the last time Koivu got a penalty and then decided to swear at the ref and bang his stick on the boards like a baby.

You don't know if our special teams would suffer, it depends what we replaced him with. Not worth 4.5 mill, not close.

Kovalev has been weird and uproductive even by HIS standards this year, and I still think his knee is the issue.

Waiving Garth Murray completely turned his game around, so THAT was obviously a good move.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this Samsonov thing is completely stupid. You don't win, long-term, by crapping on and then dumping your most talented players, especially on a team that desperately needs offensive talent. I could see it if Sammy hadn't been working, or if he had been a liability defensively (c.f. Ryder and Kovalev), or if he hadn't shown the slightest sign of turning his game around. Unfortunately none of those criteria apply.

The last coach we had who made it a point of principle to shit on and ship out talented players in favour of players of limited ceiling but who were 'safe' (in the sense of surpassing limited expectations and doing whatever was asked of them) was Mario Tremblay. He drove Patrick Roy and Pierre Turgeon out of town after misusing and/or abusing both of them, in favour of duds like Patrick Poulin (or Mark Streit, in current terms). The results contributed to years of wretchedness. That, in my mind, is NOT the precedent we should be following.

Yes, Carbo is a rookie and no, we shouldn't fire him. But I'm surprised to see him falling into these traps. And we can NOT afford to lose any more major-league talent due to Carbo's whims; nor can we afford to fail to develop our young talent, as he is perilously close to doing with Perezhogin at least. Otherwise it's 1996 all over again. :puke:

wow... a bit too pesimistic for me even... I dont think this was shitting on the boat besides carbo said he didnt know nor expect sammy to be put on waivers ... reason why he didnt play on sunday... like many of us stated earlier.. and its yes speculation.. Gainey tooka risk by losing him for nada and he did it geniously! he now can only tell Sammy to fire his agent and think about what he used to do correctly 2 years ago and keep up the progress... but play like he wants out of the third line not like he fits well there!!! thats what must piss off everyone!.... Gainey wants a reason to go after a second centreman ... if his wingers are complainers and drifters... why should Gainey sacrifice a youngblood in return for a player that Sammy isnt even crying out for?

Nice spin you got going there, I say he shows up once every six games and you say "he steps up in key times" guess what! ANYTIME can be considered a "key time" If he does have leadership off the ice i'd be suprised because he has zero on the ice.

He plays with emotion you say? Well the most emotion I have seen him exhibit is when he is wronged by the ref and decides he is more important than the team and takes 2 or 3 extra penalites, theres emotion for you. I don't quite remember the last time Koivu got a penalty and then decided to swear at the ref and bang his stick on the boards like a baby.

You don't know if our special teams would suffer, it depends what we replaced him with. Not worth 4.5 mill, not close.

"Key times" means the playoffs, overtime, the shootout, 4-point games... He can play under pressure is what I meant.

If you can't see Kovalev play with emotion than maybe you should look a little closer. How about his first game back last year when he single-handedly beat Ottawa? In my books atleast, that ranks a bit higher than being angry at a refs decision. But I do think that arguing calls shows emotion. Even Doug Gilmour, one of the great leaders in the game shattered the penalty box glass in the playoffs. He's also good for Perezhogin's development (not to mention Plekanec, who can think him for part of his own current success) and is a great guy.

People don't like his play because he makes so much money, but that's his market value. If he became a UFA today, he'd make a similar amount, and this contract was signed 2 years ago when he was younger and had less injury problems.

The fact is that we have no one who can replace Kovalev. No one even in the system. Sure there are better players in the league but Kovalev is a one-of-a-kind player and we really don't have much shot at a Cup without him.

Well Kovalev does get happy when his team mates score I know it is odd but he seems to enjoy somone else scoring so much more,

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

and thats a fact lol!

he always as a smile from ear to ear after another player scores ...but when he does...well thats another story

Anybody who thinks it should have been Kovalev on waivers really doesnt know their hockey.

He may not score, but he's one of the few players we have who can carry the puck into the offensive zone without having to dump it all the time.

If you really watch closely, the other teams target him on that line. Without him, many of the other facets of our offensive game would be much worse. For example by drawing the D to the wing on the PP, he opens up the lanes for Souray and opens up some space down below.

I think he is getting old and just isnt what he used to be. He is still quite effective for us though.

Sure, Id rather have IGINLA than Kovalev, but he is still very valuable to us.

Kovalev gets 4 million a year, not 4.5. There's not many players you could get as UFAs producing at Kovalev's level for that money, even if he's having a disappointing year. Sure, if you compare what he earns to Plekanec and compare the productivity, it looks bad. But if you want to re-sign a UFA, you have to be willing to pay whatever the stupidest GM in the game is willing to offer - it's that simple. By that standard, Kovalev was a steal - yes, that's right, a steal - at 4 million, and if it weren't for the fact that the league was coming out of a lockout and dealing with a salary cap for the first time, there's no way Gainey would have gotten Kovalev for that cash.

As for Samsonov, I feel like Gainey looks like a genius for this move, especially pre-trade deadline. Here's what it accomplished:

For Samsonov: You can't be given away. There's no point in whining to anyone except yourself, because your only choices are to stay here by earning your spot in the lineup or go to Hamilton. Or retire.

For payroll: 3.5 million more space to spend on a renter who won't be on the payroll in July.

Edited by Oleg Petrov

in favour of duds like Patrick Poulin (or Mark Streit, in current terms).

Streit has been anything BUT a dud. And I was ready to send him back to Switzerland after last season.

Edited by RobRock

Cleared and ego washed.

He should change his agent and save his career.

no kidding... he's become a sort of persona non grata in the league... too rich for too little.

montreal may even decide to buy out his contract and let him go (if that's an option). who'd pick him up? maybe no one so...

back to russia?

GO :hlogo: GO!