Sergei Samsonov

MAK

Streit has been anything BUT a dud. And I was ready to send him back to Switzerland after last season.

I agree that Streit's been great. But I think he was more referring to the fact that his ceiling potential is not that high. Streit should be an effective 4th or 3rd liner, PKer, and second unit PP guy. He shouldnb't be getting first line minutes...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Streit's been great. But I think he was more referring to the fact that his ceiling potential is not that high. Streit should be an effective 4th or 3rd liner, PKer, and second unit PP guy. He shouldnb't be getting first line minutes...

No he shouldn't but has been surprisingly awesome. In the "New NHL", 600,000 a year is a STEAL. We have him inked at 600,000 next season too.

Anybody who thinks it should have been Kovalev on waivers really doesnt know their hockey.

If you want to make this personal you better put on your big boy pants.

He may not score, but he's one of the few players we have who can carry the puck into the offensive zone without having to dump it all the time.

If you really watch closely, the other teams target him on that line. Without him, many of the other facets of our offensive game would be much worse. For example by drawing the D to the wing on the PP, he opens up the lanes for Souray and opens up some space down below.

I think he is getting old and just isnt what he used to be. He is still quite effective for us though.

Sure, Id rather have IGINLA than Kovalev, but he is still very valuable to us.

The guy constantly turns the puck over and when he does carry it he is so slow he gives the opposition enough time to not only beat the whole team into the zone but make a couple line changes. He doesn't put up the points, lead the team or create enough chances to be worth 4 mill, not when you add in the negatives.

So now Samsonov clears waivers and wants to stay.

I think the following sums up the situation:

- Samsonov playing well, but not getting any goals. Poor guy, he's been unlucky.

- He gets scratched

- He takes offense

- He wants a trade

- He clears waivers

- He sits down with Gainey and Carbonneau, they have a little talk:

"Now now Sergei. We like you, you're part of the family, don't take it so hard. Maybe we were wrong to scratch you a second time in a row, but stuff happens, you know? Won't you stay and give it your best effort? Things will work out"

"Gee you guys really mean it? Maybe i overreacted.."

"You've been playing great lately, we've seen the tapes. You've been robbed so many times, but we know you've been putting up a good effort"

"Thanks guys, i really appreciate it"

Etc.

All in all, it's kind of childish in my view, but whatever.

I like Samsonov, i really do, and i hope he stays, and i hope he snaps out of his slump and starts netting goals every week, and i hope he does well in the playoffs and earns a ring with the habs commer summertime.

/i can dream...

:hlogo:

Go Sergei, you're not perfect, but i'm still a fan!

Wow! I'm seriously shocked... I figured, like JMMR (I think it was JMMR who said it) that there was WAY too much bad blood and that they'd NEVER be able to work together again. I guess it's still too early to see if this works. Does Sammy come back fired up and play well? Does Carbo give him a chance? Can they move past this on the ice, and not just in meetings? We'll see...

I said in another thread that I'd like to see Kovy Koivu and Perogie on the first line, but that was assuming Sammy was gone. If he's staying, and they really want to make this about the success of the team and not about Sammy OR Carbo's egos, I would REALLY like to see Sammy with Koivu for 3 or 4 games and see if they can click. Give them a chance...

Samsonov is a great and skill player. Hopfeully he'll bounce back like Brière did. Remember Briere? He cleared waiver and then realized he had to work his ass off.. and look at him now!

Sammy is still really young and I hope he'll wake up and work even harder than he did. I know he was working hard, but maybe not enough determination and will. Come on Sergei! You can do it! :)

So now Samsonov clears waivers and wants to stay.

I think the following sums up the situation:

- Samsonov playing well, but not getting any goals. Poor guy, he's been unlucky.

- He gets scratched

- He takes offense

- He wants a trade

- He clears waivers

- He sits down with Gainey and Carbonneau, they have a little talk:

"Now now Sergei. We like you, you're part of the family, don't take it so hard. Maybe we were wrong to scratch you a second time in a row, but stuff happens, you know? Won't you stay and give it your best effort? Things will work out"

"Gee you guys really mean it? Maybe i overreacted.."

"You've been playing great lately, we've seen the tapes. You've been robbed so many times, but we know you've been putting up a good effort"

"Thanks guys, i really appreciate it"

Etc.

All in all, it's kind of childish in my view, but whatever.

I like Samsonov, i really do, and i hope he stays, and i hope he snaps out of his slump and starts netting goals every week, and i hope he does well in the playoffs and earns a ring with the habs commer summertime.

/i can dream...

:hlogo:

Go Sergei, you're not perfect, but i'm still a fan!

MMMmmmmm could be but I think the conversation went something like:

"Sergei, we can't find a trade partner because of your salary and poor offensive production. Heck, nobody even wanted you for free. There are only two options, we can send you to Hamilton for one and a half years or you can suck it up and start producing. Maybe if you turn it around we can do something".

"I love being a habs Mr. Gainey and can't wait to play on Thursday"

Bob's big idea was to prove to Samsonov that he didn't have the right to ask for a trade and that he should've counted himself luckey to be paid 3.5 M$ this season.

Bob : "You see sammy, nobody wants you ... so shut the **** up and start playing !"

Sammy now understands that he has no value and that's his goddamn fault. Expect him to start producing soon.

:clap:

If I were Carbo (not being an armchair coach here) I would give Sammy huge ice time with Koivu and Kovalev on the first line. It is important for the management to really support him now and give him all the tools we have to help him produce.

It must be real tough to realize nobody in the league wants you for a salary you think you deserve.

Imagine how the guy will feel when he will come back in the dressing room. Shame, desperation a kind of thing that can change somebody attitude.

Wow! I'm seriously shocked... I figured, like JMMR (I think it was JMMR who said it) that there was WAY too much bad blood and that they'd NEVER be able to work together again. I guess it's still too early to see if this works. Does Sammy come back fired up and play well? Does Carbo give him a chance? Can they move past this on the ice, and not just in meetings? We'll see...

I said in another thread that I'd like to see Kovy Koivu and Perogie on the first line, but that was assuming Sammy was gone. If he's staying, and they really want to make this about the success of the team and not about Sammy OR Carbo's egos, I would REALLY like to see Sammy with Koivu for 3 or 4 games and see if they can click. Give them a chance...

I really doubt Samsonov now loves Montreal and wants to stay. What's more likely is that Gainey told him that no one wants him now (proven by him clearing waivers) but that if he starts producing, teams will start taking interest in him. He still wants to get the hell out of here, he just sees that he has to scoring in order for that to happen (to give himself some trade value).

I'd like to see Sammy, Koivu and Higgns/Latendresse

I second that, although i want to see Sammy-Koivu-Higgens.

Let Ryder rot on the third or fourth line and put Perozhogin back on the third line.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I second that, although i want to see Sammy-Koivu-Higgens.

Let Ryder rot on the third or fourth line and put Perozhogin back on the third line.

ryder been better then perozhogin, sammy and higgens this year and his the one we should let rot? iam glad you dont run the team. the only thing this team needs is a big man to play the middle, if we get that this team well be unstopable.

:clap:

If I were Carbo (not being an armchair coach here) I would give Sammy huge ice time with Koivu and Kovalev on the first line. It is important for the management to really support him now and give him all the tools we have to help him produce.

I couldn't agree more. GIVE PLAYERS THE TOOLS TO SUCCEED. Don't crap on them after you've trapped them on a line that has absolutely zero chemistry for months, and their confidence is low, and they need SUPPORT in order to find their game.

BTW, my comment on Streit wasn't meant to slag the guy. He's done a great job. But he is the archetype of a player that bad teams reward with lots of ice time. This team will WIN GAMES when the Samsonovs and Kovalevs and Koivus and Ryder are producing - not the Streits. In fact, it distrubs me that people are so pleased with Streit, because it reminds me so much of the praise that Sergei Zholtok (RIP) and Oleg Petrov used to get in the bad old days. These were decent players but would NOT have been major performers on any good team. Streit, likewise. He's a ultilty guy, nothing more - or ought to be.

He plays moderatly better in the playoffs but that doesn't justify his terrible season play. So one question if we don't make the playoffs how much of that 4.5 million did he earn?

Seriously for 4.5 mill we get a defensive liability, with an awful attitude, poor work ethic, who takes selfish unprofessional penalties, who puts up what 50 points a season and is close to retirement but may or may not show up in the playoffs IF we make them? OOOooooh lucky us!

You could put just about every knock you put on Kovalev onto Koivu. Should Bob waive him too? :rolleyes:

Hilarious. Koivu actually puts forward effort, he's got a freaking work ethic. He scores a heck of a lot more than 50 pts a year, and he's currently got a bunch more than Kovalev. He's not exactly a defensive liability either.

Come on...

He scores a heck of a lot more than 50 pts a year, and he's currently got a bunch more than Kovalev. He's not exactly a defensive liability either.

Come on...

Agreed that Koivu's got a better work ethic, but:

Re defensive liability: Koivu is at -12. Kovalev is at -6.

Re heck of a lot/bunch more points: Koivu has 3 goals and 2 assists on Kovalev.

I think there were some ego clashing going on here. Carbo and Bob are of the old school where you try hard keep your mouth shut and be happy you have a team that wants you. Maybe Sammy needed to be shown that his "star power" is not that great. If he wants to be the "go to guy" he will have to LEAD SCORE HIT and be a TEAM PLAYER. I truly hope that through this little tantrum by both sides that they will learn to play nice together. Give Sammy a shot to prove he can do it, he has the talent. Now is the time for Carbo to give him the line mates and the support so that he will excel like we all know he can. If he is successful then he will want to stay. Success covers a lot of problems.