Is Carbo a good coach?

Its funny, I was just about to make a post like this myself last night.

I think its too early at this point to pass judgement on him. BUT, I agree there have been some unusual decisions. The timing of Sammy's benching seemed way off.

We arent in the locker room so we dont know and can only speculate as to what is going on behind the scenes.

In his post game interview on Habsinsideout.com Carbo, when talking about the Samsonov issue does appear rather defensive.

Anyways, despite all this its still too early. I have faith in Gainey, and if he had faith in Carbo then thats good enough for me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Hickey's observation that the unceremonious humiliation of Samsonov will do very little to enhance Montreal's appeal to future free agents. Another reason why this whole kerfuffle may prove to be a serious mistake.

The coach's job is to get the most from his players. While the argument that the talent is mediocre is well-taken, I can't see any evidence that Carbo is getting the most, consistently, from several of our 'key' guys - Sammy being the most obvious. Instead he brings out the best in...Mark Streit. It may or may not be his fault, but facts are facts.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

well in his defence, he started off using the offensive players on the top 2 lines... then we hit a slump and the offensive players were not working.. so he clearly said to the media that the guys who work will play and those who don't work, won't play... so in comes Mark Streit and Mike Johnson on the 1st line, down goes Ryder to the 4th, Samsonov to the bench and more icetime for Plekanec, Bonk, etc...

he did what he had to do - play the guys that showed that they wanted to play.

I think that Hickey is right ... sucky over priced players may not want to come here. The ones who will give it everything, and want to win everynight will have no problems.

Also, if you are looking for reasons not to come here, taxes are a far greater concern.

I agree, marble, but he cannot afford to cost us another player of major talent, nor can he continue to show no signs of developing Higgins, Perezhogin, Komisarek, or even Ryder for that matter. We saw something very similar happen in 1995-98 with Mario Tremblay, and the result was devastation. I fear that Samsonov is this generation's Pierre Turgeon - a major offensive talent wasted and then pointlessly shipped out in the name of 'team play' or some other bullsh*t. Sorry, but Mark Streit will never bring half of what Sammy had the potential to bring to this team. It's very disturbing that Carbo apparently disagrees.

Don't forget Hickey's observation that the unceremonious humiliation of Samsonov will do very little to enhance Montreal's appeal to future free agents. Another reason why this whole kerfuffle may prove to be a serious mistake.

The coach's job is to get the most from his players. While the argument that the talent is mediocre is well-taken, I can't see any evidence that Carbo is getting the most, consistently, from several of our 'key' guys - Sammy being the most obvious. Instead he brings out the best in...Mark Streit. It may or may not be his fault, but facts are facts.

That's very true, and i think the biggest longt-term problem with this whole issue... We have a hard enough time attracting guys as it is, and sure, taxes are a bigger reason not to come, but some ppl may be concerned about the way their coaches treat them too. I know that I'm the kind of person who looks at how happy I'll be going to work every day more than I look at money when I take a job. There'll always be disagreements, but if I feel like the coach is gonna humiliate me when we have a disagreement, I'm not signing...

well in his defence, he started off using the offensive players on the top 2 lines... then we hit a slump and the offensive players were not working.. so he clearly said to the media that the guys who work will play and those who don't work, won't play... so in comes Mark Streit and Mike Johnson on the 1st line, down goes Ryder to the 4th, Samsonov to the bench and more icetime for Plekanec, Bonk, etc...

he did what he had to do - play the guys that showed that they wanted to play.

There are other players who never got a chance on those lines who have WAY more offensive potential than the ones who did. I'm not arguing moving Ryder to the third or fourth, but try Perogie on a top line for more than three games already (which he did with Kovy and Sammy earlier)... Give Grabovski more than two games to show his worth, that kind of stuff. We have trouble scoring goals, so the solution is not to give more ice time to Murray and Downey!!! They may mean well and work hard, but it's not going to win us more than one or two games to have them as regulars... give the OTHER players who might actually contribute to goal scoring a chance...

I'm afraid Carbo's going to turn us into a team of pluggers and grinders.

He seems to have a problem "slotting" his available talent correctly... it's not rocket science - put your 1st line talent (or the closest we have) on the 1st line, and so on and so on.

Closest we've got to 1st line talent is Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev. Make that your 1st line Carbonneau and goddam well stick with it for a while.... and give them 1st line minutes. Our 2nd line talent is Latendresse - Plekanec - Ryder. 3rd line is back to the good old reliable Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson. And 4th, Streit - Lapierre - whoever.

We need some stability here.

He seems to have a problem "slotting" his available talent correctly... it's not rocket science - put your 1st line talent (or the closest we have) on the 1st line, and so on and so on.

Closest we've got to 1st line talent is Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev. Make that your 1st line Carbonneau and goddam well stick with it for a while.... and give them 1st line minutes. Our 2nd line talent is Latendresse - Plekanec - Ryder. 3rd line is back to the good old reliable Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson. And 4th, Streit - Lapierre - whoever.

I still wonder why they have not put Koivu and Kovalev together for any period of time, They lit it up in the playoffs in 2004 and the 2 of them with Perezhogin started off last season like gangbusters.

Worth a shot, Non?

I still wonder why they have not put Koivu and Kovalev together for any period of time, They lit it up in the playoffs in 2004 and the 2 of them with Perezhogin started off last season like gangbusters.

Worth a shot, Non?

absolutely worth a shot. I would be all for this...

I agree with Carbo needing to stick with his lines for a while. Although Sammy and Kovalev were together for far too long.

Juiliene did the same thing, switching lines around constantly and it drove me freaking nuts.

I just knew somebody would post something like this at this point in the season.

I don't blame Carbo for anything. I mean look at the past few months of what he had to endure. Gainey's daughter situation, the entire team got sick with the flu, then on top of that a grumpy player. This isn't last year with Julien, if it was like last year the Habs would have dropped from 4th to 9th or something in the playoff picture but look at where they are now:

THEY ARE STILL 4TH IN THE CONFERENCE!!!

yes its been a bumpy month or two but the ship is not sinking they haven't fallen off the face of the earth they're still where they were 2 months ago when they couldn't lose.

If anybody is questioning if Carbo is a good coach or not just look at the standings. If it was anybody else the team would NOT still be in 4th place in the East.

his doing a good job with the guys he got, we still 4, the problem is we need a big guy to get in front of the net, thet well fix a lot of our problem and a little more leader ship in the room might fix the problem, we have to many guys that are the same type of plays, skating around all night with the puck ,always looking for the pretty pass and stuck behind the net with the puck..time to shake some things up and get a big man

Im beginning to think carbo has lost the team. I think it started when he blew up in the media he can't go out there and put on the skates. That must have really turned off a lot of players. Then his ridiculous line juggling has left everyone with a doubt as to their abilities. He seems to be the confidence buster on the team. It seems to me he has busted the confidence of players like Ryder and Samsonov. As well he seems to have this favoritism towards quebecois players. Ever see a Dandenault or Latendresse benched?

Don't like Kovy on PK and Rivet instead of Bouillon on PP. Hope that with the come back of Bégin, Kovy will be out of the PK, not cuz he's so bad, but because he isn't a factor on the PK. Carbo better keep him in shape for the 5 on 5.

Look guys, this one is very simple.

Other coaches before Carbo struggled with this team. But now that they're elsewhere and doing well, it shows that they weren't that bad afterall.

So how comes different coaches got the same results with this team. What's the common factor here?

Its the players, to be more specific the "leaders", ie. the handful of veterans who are supposed to l-e-a-d this team.

A coach can only go as far as his leading players can go. Habs would'nt have won the Cup in 93 and 86 if their leadership wasn't resting on the shoulders of no-quit veterans.

I mean, how good can a team really be when their "leaders" are depth d-men with little talent like Rivet or Dandeneault; or a injury-plagued captain like Koivu; or an individualist like Kovalev; or an introverted oyster like Markov?

Nevermind the coaches, it's pretty clear now that they've all failed to get this team over the hump because they dont have the horses for it.

Habs need a new core, not a new coach.

this thread borders on the useless, especially considering the inflamatory nature of the question...

carbonneau is a rookie coach and he's going to have some struggles like any other rookie coach... some of the problems may very well be beyond any coach's abilities, for that matter...

in any event to ask if carbonneau is a 'good coach' or not is not a constructive question

GO :hlogo: GO!

Im beginning to think carbo has lost the team. I think it started when he blew up in the media he can't go out there and put on the skates. That must have really turned off a lot of players. Then his ridiculous line juggling has left everyone with a doubt as to their abilities. He seems to be the confidence buster on the team. It seems to me he has busted the confidence of players like Ryder and Samsonov. As well he seems to have this favoritism towards quebecois players. Ever see a Dandenault or Latendresse benched?

It's Carbo's ego. He has to rid of himself of that superior player ego. He isnt a player anymore, he's a coach

Edited by Strummerman

After tonight's game, I think he's a tool.

Bench Kovalev when he's playing just fine? Bench Kovalev when you're down two bloody goals with plenty of time left?

Carbo needs a shot in the head.

It's called sending a message. There are plenty of people on this team who need a benching. Koivu (yep, i said it) Ryder, Higgins Kovalev and all the D. They are just pathetic.

Kovalev playing fine? 13 goals at 4.5 million. That isn't good. Atleast he is playing better then Koivu. minus 16 this year.