Who Should the Habs Trade For?

Easy Ryder

trade out in my opinion...

Get rid of unwanted weight and bring the not so kids up from Hamilton

make room and trade for picks even....

-Trade Niinima and a 3rd round pick for an AHLer and a 4th or 5th round pick

-Trade Ryder for pick any

-Trade Perez for Pick or another AHLer

three spots are freed and bring in Kosty Chipchura Grabovsky etc until something clicks!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just as important if not more important who we trade away. Players I would be happy to see go:

-Ryder

-Kovalev (I don't care how good he is in the playoffs)

-Niinimaa (waivers - Hamilton)

-Murray

-Downey

We could bring in a winger, a Dman and call up Kostitsyn. I think Plekanec is doing well and if he had linemates that worked hard (Horton?), they would produce.

trade out in my opinion...

Get rid of unwanted weight and bring the not so kids up from Hamilton

make room and trade for picks even....

-Trade Niinima and a 3rd round pick for an AHLer and a 4th or 5th round pick

-Trade Ryder for pick any

-Trade Perez for Pick or another AHLer

three spots are freed and bring in Kosty Chipchura Grabovsky etc until something clicks!

We don't know that Kosty Chipper or Grabovsky could be effective in the NHL and Perez has the NHL experience and has proven he can play at this level. Trade away Niinimaa and Ryder if you want to make room for the prospects... but why trade away Perogie to make room for ppl who may not succeed in the NHL

And whoever said Perogie hasn't improved this season, how's he supposed to improve if he doesn't get to play????

I was hearing the horton was wanting out of Florida anyways...the management wasnt happy or something along those lines. the guy would take a lot to get out of there though, but we have some prospects. Whats left on Bertuzzi's contract, the guy can be one of the best if he wants to and we have the right kind of talent he needs to be surrounded with. all passers, no shooters who can carry the puck in for him and go to work, it'd be like having a bigger latendresse

I have come to change my mind on who should we get from who should we get rid of and rebuild for next year.

It doesn't mean that we would not make the playoffs if we get rid of these players.

I am gonna get burn but

Koivu and Rivet for Getzlaf.Anaheim

Kovalev for Vlasik San Jose

I have come to change my mind on who should we get from who should we get rid of and rebuild for next year.

It doesn't mean that we would not make the playoffs if we get rid of these players.

I am gonna get burn but

Koivu and Rivet for Getzlaf.Anaheim

Kovalev for Vlasik San Jose

Koivu has a no-trade clause, not sure about Kovalev

We should have gotten Nagy but looksl ike Gainey was sitting on his hands. This situation is quickly becoming his fault.

Once a team starts to play this poorly for this long if the GM doesn't make a move responsibility lays on his shoulders.

I don't think its a case of Gainey sitting on his hands. It's a case of not selling the farm for a quick fix. If the right move is out there Bob will make it. We are in good hands. Kinda makes you wonder why anyone in their right minds would want to be the GM or Coach of the Habs. One minute you're a Genius, and the next people are calling for your head. Just like in the summer Bob made some really good offers to Shanny and Elias (better than what they signed for the rumor is). But he can't be blamed because they weren't interested in coming to Montreal. I think the guy deserves a break. Imagine if Reggie Houle was still running things. :unsure:

It really is so easy for us to say get this player get that player, just because Gainey might want to make a trade doesn't mean the numbers work, or the other team was asking too much.

Making a trade just for the sake of making a trade to apease some fans is foolhardy.

It really is so easy for us to say get this player get that player, just because Gainey might want to make a trade doesn't mean the numbers work, or the other team was asking too much.

Making a trade just for the sake of making a trade to apease some fans is foolhardy.

I agree, the goal is the Stanley Cup. Gainey will pull the trigger on a guy like Kostitsyn if we are on the verge.

As he did with Iginla for Nieuwendyk, but Nieuwendyk was one of the final piece's that put a ring on his finger in 99. To trade a top level prospect to just make the playoffs is a different thing.

Gainey has a long term goal. Maybe we are struggling right now, but we have a young core with potential in Ryder/Higgins/Plekanec/Perezhogin/Komisarek/Latendresse and we have kids like Price/Kosty1/Kosty2/Chipchura/Halak/Emelin/Grabovski on the farm. He will deal from that depth, but only if it fits into his long term plan. And that is winning the Stanley Cup.

If you want to watch a team taht will do anything to make the playoffs, drive up the 401 and take a look at what John Ferguson is doing...then take a look at their long term plan. Their long term plan is this...make the playoffs this year and you never know, and worry about next year..next year.

This is the reason they have not won a Cup in 40 years. But of course us fans know more than Bo Gainey. A man who won 5 Cups as a player, coached in a Stanley Cup Final and won a Stanley Cup as a GM.

If you start listening to the Fans, pretty soon you will be sitting with them.

We don't know that Kosty Chipper or Grabovsky could be effective in the NHL and Perez has the NHL experience and has proven he can play at this level. but why trade away Perogie to make room for ppl who may not succeed in the NHL

And whoever said Perogie hasn't improved this season, how's he supposed to improve if he doesn't get to play????

How could he have proved he can play in the NHL if he never gets to play and sits in the press box more then Bob Cole?

Didn't you just contradict yourself?

What about Mr. Lang?

I guess that Lang for Sammy swap kinda went for sh!t, so what about a draft pick and/or Rivet/Perz?

I don't imagine you have to give up too much, and he played 4 seasons with Alex in Pitts.

At 6'3 215, it would also bring some nice size in the middle...

Robert Lang

1998-1999 Penguins 72 21 23 44 -10

1999-2000 Penguins 78 23 42 65 -9

2000-2001 Penguins 82 32 48 80 20

2001-2002 Penguins 62 18 32 50 9

Alex Kovalev

1998-1999 Penguins 63 20 26 46 8

1999-2000 Penguins 82 26 40 66 -3

2000-2001 Penguins 79 44 51 95 12

2001-2002 Penguins 67 32 44 76 2

I still say you need to bring someone in who can meet all of the following needs:

-Offensive centre

-Much needed leadership in the dressing room

-a guy who they can build around going forward but can help the young guys now

And that leads me to the only guy out there who meets all of the above - Marleau.

I say the habs should make an offer that SJ can't say no to.

SJ needs the following:

-clutch guy with playoff track record - Kovolev

-Offensive defencemen - Souray

-addtional scoring to pick up slack from Cheecho - Ryder

I would also even though in Bonk or Johnson (who are UFA's anyway), and try to pry away a d-prospect like Carle.

If you can get Horton you do it...the kid can be an 80+ point power forward...and he wouldn't hurt the future since he's still young.

In all seriousness, I would trade Souray, Perezhogin, Grabovski, Milroy, D'Agostini, a 1st rounder, and a 1st rounder from next year, for Bouwmeester and Horton. Florida gets two potential top 2 line wingers who are young and cheap, plus the draft picks will net them some quality, and Souray comes off their cap at year end so they clear out some salary and remain flexible. Milroy and D'Agostini aren't real high ceiling guys but both could become 3rd line regulars within the next year or two...and also at a good pay scale for their market.

I'd also deal Sammy and Rivet for Aucoin. Then in the off-season our D concerns are basically solved once we re-sign Markov. If Smoke can be included in the deal with us sending them Aebischer I do that too...otherwise I'd deal Aebischer for whatever draft pick we can get...hopefully a 2nd but a 3rd is probably realistic if I had to guess.

Considering our depth in the minors we could even afford to upgrade one of Milroy or D'Agostini in that deal...

How about this next year:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Latendresse - Horton - Kovalev - This could be our top line...

Plekanec - Smoke - Johnson - I think this could be a killer 3rd line btw...

Bouwmeester - Markov

Aucoin - Komisarek

UFA - Streit/Boullion

Huet

Danis/Halak

It would be nice to have one more scorer on our top two lines...maybe an upgrade on Ryder in a sign and trade(with yet another prospect) this off-season. And no, this STILL wouldn't gut our farm system...we are that deep.

I think Gainey is great but considering the depth of our farm and the many valuable pieces we currently have we need to get serious and take some chances on deals. We have so much depth we're actually hurting ourselves not using the assets to make the big club better.

I still say you need to bring someone in who can meet all of the following needs:

-Offensive centre

-Much needed leadership in the dressing room

-a guy who they can build around going forward but can help the young guys now

And that leads me to the only guy out there who meets all of the above - Marleau.

I say the habs should make an offer that SJ can't say no to.

SJ needs the following:

-clutch guy with playoff track record - Kovolev

-Offensive defencemen - Souray

-addtional scoring to pick up slack from Cheecho - Ryder

I would also even though in Bonk or Johnson (who are UFA's anyway), and try to pry away a d-prospect like Carle.

there is no way that Bonk for Carle would happen, Bonk although playing better is old, and Carle is a future star for the San Jose Defence

Gary Roberts for sure, bertuzzi if we can get him reasonable.

you have got to be kidding. BertuzzI???? the guy has done squat for 2 yeaars AFTER serving his suspension. Florida got raped on that trade. the guy is exactly what the habs DO NOT NEED - another self centered, lousy attitude, play when he feels like it, over paid bum.

As far as Roberts, if the habs were one, or two players away from being a contender, I would pick him up. But we have far two many holes in the lineup that need to be filled before we go after vetern leadership (ie. defencemen, who can actually PLAY defence, bona-fide goal scorer/front line center).

OMG

Horton... he can play center (which I didn't know!!!), he's right handed, he's huge, he plays with a mean streak...

and as I reported yesterday, he's asked to be traded...

GO BOB GO!!! Release the hounds !!! come on you can do it.

there is no way that Bonk for Carle would happen, Bonk although playing better is old, and Carle is a future star for the San Jose Defence

I'm not saying Bonk for Carle would happen. i'm saying if you put a pacakge together that allows SJ to plug their other holes, so that they could be a SERIOUS Contender, you may be able to get him. I'd try to make that deal, even if it meant throwing in either Dandeanault or Bouillon.

I really think the year is done for the habs and there Defence sucks. They need a complete overhaul. They should only try to re-sign Markov, hang on to Komisorik, keep Striet as a depth player, but otherwise blowup their blue line. The Habs have to be the worst team in moving the puck out of their zone.

you have got to be kidding. BertuzzI???? the guy has done squat for 2 yeaars AFTER serving his suspension. Florida got raped on that trade. the guy is exactly what the habs DO NOT NEED - another self centered, lousy attitude, play when he feels like it, over paid bum.

As far as Roberts, if the habs were one, or two players away from being a contender, I would pick him up. But we have far two many holes in the lineup that need to be filled before we go after vetern leadership (ie. defencemen, who can actually PLAY defence, bona-fide goal scorer/front line center).

Roberts would give this team what it needs, heart, goals and leadership. And if bertuzzi came cheap like I said he might turn his game around, be the physical goal scoring presence we need. Ofcourse Horton sounds alot better but Bertuzzi could be a a better deal.