Game Thread | Ottawa vs. Habs | 02/10/07

Spider-Man NL

ottawa200.gifvrssign.gifmontreal200.gif

2006-07 Regular Season Record:

ottawa50.gif31-22-3 : 65 Points (5th in the Eastern Conference)

montreal50.gif29-21-6 : 64 Points (6th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

Ottawa

2514.gif# 1 Ray Emery (23-13-2), 2.38 GAA, .922 Save%

Montreal

Abby2.jpg# 30 David Aebischer (10-8-3), 2.80 GAA, .912 Save%

Senators Roster
Link

Canadiens Roster
Link

LW.jpgHabs_spin.gifrw.jpg

Kovalev - Koivu - Higgins
Samsonov - Plekanec - Latendresse
Johnson - Bonk - Ryder
Begin - Lapierre - Streit

d.jpg

Komisarek - Markov
Souray - Niinimaa
Dandeneault - Bouillon

G.jpg
David Aebischer

Meetings This Year:

Oct. 14th, 2006:ottawa50.gif3 montreal50.gif2 (SO)

Oct. 31st, 2006:ottawa50.gif2 montreal50.gif4

Nov. 13th, 2006:montreal50.gif6 ottawa50.gif3

Jan. 13th, 2007:montreal50.gif3 ottawa50.gif8

Jan. 29th, 2007:ottawa50.gif1 montreal50.gif3

Feb. 8th, 2007:montreal50.gif1 ottawa50.gif4

GuiSens-1.jpg

RyderSens.jpg

This game can be seen 7:00pm eastern on:
l_RDS.gif& CBC.jpg

Cjad.jpg
Listen to the game live at 7:00 pm on CJAD 800 AM

OR

ckac.jpg
Listen to the game live (In French) at 7:00 pm on CKAC 730 AM Edited by Spider-Man NL

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good vibes and best of luck for Koivu and Higgins! May Sammy drink 10 red bulls between every shift!

We need Koivu and Higgins to jump out of that slump!

and may that fourth line be as daunting as it looks like!

GO BEGIN GO !!!

I was worried there. The thread name Ottawa vs. Habs ended up being "Ottawa vs. Ha" because my browser cuts off the rest of Habs. I thought morale was really low with everyone and it was "Ottawa vs. Hamilton"

There's no offence intended with the thread Spider-Man NL, I still don't know how you do it. :D

Cheers.

Markov being back helps. Niinimaa was to undisciplined and perhaps should have been called for more penalties on thursday. Scratch him or hope he plays his good game.

I am glad Samsonov is playing and we might once and for all see some true lines. :?-

I DEMAND SATISFACTION AND VICTORY! ENOUGH OF THIS HEN HOUSE BULL!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/02/audio...urns_begin_h_1/

Samsonov returns, Bégin hopeful for Senators rematch

Sergei Samsonov will be back in the Canadiens lineup Saturday night at the Bell Centre for a – dare we say it? – must-win game against the Ottawa Senators. And so too might Steve Bégin, the spark the Canadiens have been missing.

Samsonov, who cleared waivers this week after his agent requested he be traded, was a healthy scratch in Ottawa on Thursday, his third game left out of uniform this season. But head coach Guy Carbonneau today told Samsonov, and the Montreal media, that the player will suit up to face the Senators, winners of a 4-1 game Thursday in Kanata.

Bégin has missed the past 27 games with a back injury, and Carbonneau said that if he gets medical clearance to play, he'll start slowly on the fourth line, and see where that leads. If Bégin does indeed return, the Canadiens will have to demote one player, the roster at its current 23-man limit. Asked who that might be, Carbonneau grinned and said, "I'm not telling you."

Defenceman Andrei Markov, who's missed the last three games with a knee injury, is expected to return. Fellow rearguard Craig Rivet likely will sit out his second straight with a bad flu bug. (Rivet's two kids were sick with it this week, so guess where he picked it up?)

If the Canadiens are to get back on track, there's no time like the present. Since Dec. 23, the Habs have won eight games (one in overtime), lost 13, and dropped another in a shootout, taking that gift point to the bank. In that time, they've also come unglued in a great many ways, on and off the ice.

Today they're sitting sixth in the Eastern Conference with 64 points, one up on Carolina, two up on Tampa Bay, the last teams currently above the playoff cut. Carolina has played one more game, Tampa Bay has one in hand.

Just below the cut are Toronto and the New York Islanders, with 60 and 59 points, respectively, each with a game in hand. In their last 10, Toronto is 7-3-0; the Islanders are 5-2-3. The Canadiens are 4-5-1, going the wrong direction at the wrong time of year.

The Habs had a light practise in nearby Verdun at midday today, and seven players did not skate: Saku Koivu, Radek Bonk, Mike Johnson, Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sheldon Souray and Craig Rivet. Head coach Guy Carbonneau let the group work out off ice, get some rest or have nicks and scratches attended to in the clinic. Rivet is still struggling with a virus that kept him out of Thursday's game.

The team has signficant work cut out in its final 26 games of the regular season. That stretch begins Saturday night against the Senators, who vaulted over the Canadiens Thursday with their win.

David Aebischer will get the start in goal Saturday, and surely he'll be matched up against Ray Emery of the Senators. Cristobal Huet faced 39 Ottawa shots on Thursday, and while he made a number of big saves to keep the game from totally getting away from his teammates, he looked quite ordinary on the Senators' first and last goals.

Traffic was light indeed in the Canadiens dressing room after practice today, but both Samsonov and Bégin were on hand to chat. Samsonov will play Saturday on a line not yet decided by Carbonneau, and Bégin, who last played Dec. 9, hopes to get doctor's clearance to play. Carbonneau said the club has missed Bégin's energy, and he's got that right.

A few stats to consider, heading toward Saturday's rematch at the Bell Centre.

-> In 56 games, the Senators have outscored the Canadiens 186-162. Ottawa has allowed 12 fewer, 151-163.

-> Situational goals: a colossal difference in 5-on-5: the Canadiens have scored 77 and been scored on 101 times; Ottawa is 118 for and 87 against.

-> In his last 12 games, Canadiens captain Saku Koivu has one goal and one assist, and is desperately trying to find a way out of his slump. Koivu's Ottawa counterpart, Daniel Alfredsson, has seven goals and eight assists during the same span.

->Canadiens scoring leader Sheldon Souray has been held without a point his last two games.

-> The teams have split their six games thus far this season.

-> If the Senators jump out to the lead Saturday, it won't be anything unusual. Ottawa has outscored the Canadiens 9-2 in the first period through six games, though the Canadiens hold a 9-6 and 8-5 edge in the second and third periods. Ottawa has a 20-19 edge overall.

a-microphone.jpg

Samsonov is playing and that is GOOD NEWS. I don't care if he hasn't been producing, he helps our club!

We NEVER win with Markov out of the lineup, so now that he's back, its more than helping us

True. This man is the key player on the team.

GO HABS GO!

I hope to see the whole team wake up....I want to see a Montreal thrash Ottawa 9-1...time to get the ball rolling again! The playoffs do not look promising if we don't win this game! I am thankful that I am going to be in attendance at this game!....Might be bringing a sign that no other Canadiens fan has the gonads to do.

Come no Sammy show us why you think you should be the "GO TO GUY" lord knows we need one. Ok Begin kick some butt and lets get these guys going. Saku get your head out of your a$$ and play like we all know you can. this game is tres important. GO HABS GO dammit.

TSN ICE CHIPS:

Craig Rivet was placed on IR with the flu and won't be available until Wednesday at the earliest. David Aebischer will start, as he is 2-0-0 against Ottawa this season. Michael Ryder has been dropped to fourth line, as confirmed by head coach Guy Carbonneau. Andrei Markov, Steve Begin and Sergei Samsonov are all in the lineup, while Garth Murray, Aaron Downey and Alex Perezhogin will all be healthy scratches. - TSN

TSN ICE CHIPS:

Craig Rivet was placed on IR with the flu and won't be available until Wednesday at the earliest. David Aebischer will start, as he is 2-0-0 against Ottawa this season. Michael Ryder has been dropped to fourth line, as confirmed by head coach Guy Carbonneau. Andrei Markov, Steve Begin and Sergei Samsonov are all in the lineup, while Garth Murray, Aaron Downey and Alex Perezhogin will all be healthy scratches. - TSN

Ryder on the 4th line? Interesting.. Could we see him and Perezhogin traded anytime soon?

So for tonight, Bégin Lapierre Ryder ? ( I hope Bégin won't play center. He's a way better checker on the wing). I guess Streit will start with Bonk and Johnson then. Bégin could play on that 3rd line as well.

I'm betting on seeing an inspired performance from SAMMY. Kovalev is a Senator killer when he feels like it. Tonight he will feel like it.

I still don't get the constant benching of Perez. Why not put him in with Koivu and Kovalev. They did so well, when Julien had them together for a short time, and I remember Kovalev talking so highly of him(perez) I'm not against Carbo. it just seems he's trying everything but the obvious. Can anyone explain this? Does everyone on the team hate Perez?

I'm betting on seeing an inspired performance from SAMMY. Kovalev is a Senator killer when he feels like it. Tonight he will feel like it.

I still don't get the constant benching of Perez. Why not put him in with Koivu and Kovalev. They did so well, when Julien had them together for a short time, and I remember Kovalev talking so highly of him(perez) I'm not against Carbo. it just seems he's trying everything but the obvious. Can anyone explain this? Does everyone on the team hate Perez?

SAKS-AVENUE, for the life of me, sometimes the things that Carbonneau does confuses the crap out of me...Not saying I don't like him, but he is downright frustrating sometimes...Unless Perezhogin is about to be traded, I do not understand Carbo's thinking.

This game is extremely important.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels like this game could be a make-or-break kind of match.

If Habs come up big and score 2 pts with a resounding win, it'll shake off a lot of fears. Especially if Samsonov, Markov and Begin play well.

If Habs lose, it'll go down as "well, despite a fired-up Samsonov, Markov back and the long awaited return of Begin, we couldn't win", it'll just make matters worse.

Yes, this is a critical game.

GHG

:hlogo: