Game Thread | Ottawa vs. Habs | 02/10/07

Spider-Man NL

Great to hear that Begin looked good. He sounded good - in fact that Begin-Bonk-Johnson line sounds pretty good.

At least Samsonov was buzzing around.

First line sounds like a f'n disaster. Carbo sounds like he's playing a few too many video games with his line shenanigans - though after reading KoZed's take I 100% agree with beching Kovalev.

Not too late for the boys, but there is little room for error now. Sens & Pens get a bit of daylight, we have to keep ahead of what's behind.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aebisher looked soft on one (maybe two) goals

the big thing was emery... he usually plays very well against the canadiens... he's kind of a poor man's brodeur in terms of canadiens domination....

GO :hlogo: GO!

Both Bouillon and Sammys chances they fanned on their shots. Snipe that baby top corner and well see what Emery will stop.

Its their fault.

benching kovalev was a big mistake... if we were ahead on the scoreboard i can see him doing that to send a msg... but when we are behind in the game and needing every bit of offense.. terrible move by carbo!! .. send a msg after the game... sit him out next game.. but dont do it when we need the offense... i cant see how anyone can agree with benching kovalev in this game... big deal one blunder... it wasnt like he was terrible out there... brutal decision.

Both Bouillon and Sammys chances they fanned on their shots. Snipe that baby top corner and well see what Emery will stop.

Its their fault.

your negativity will come back and bite you, if it hasn't already...

aebisher looked soft on one (maybe two) goals

the big thing was emery... he usually plays very well against the canadiens... he's kind of a poor man's brodeur in terms of canadiens domination....

Those two soft goals mean the difference between OT and losing.....

Please don't use Aebischer and Brodeur in the same sentence....its highly insulting to Brodeur....

Anyways, slightly better effort tongiht. Nice to see the Habbers actually outshoot someone....gives me confidence that things can be turned around. Huet starts against Florida...Habs win 3 - 1. Ryder, Plekanec and Souray score. Montreal outshoots them 34-28

I hate to be positive after a game like this, but here goes. Habs will win their next game. From what I heard on the radio and saw in the third, we played very well. Emery won this game. We have bad luck in the first as well. Bad bounces, bad reffing...these things all contribute to a loss. I think there will be some wins in our near future.

Those two soft goals mean the difference between OT and losing.....

Please don't use Aebischer and Brodeur in the same sentence....its highly insulting to Brodeur....

Anyways, slightly better effort tongiht. Nice to see the Habbers actually outshoot someone....gives me confidence that things can be turned around. Huet starts against Florida...Habs win 3 - 1. Ryder, Plekanec and Souray score. Montreal outshoots them 34-28

i didn't use aebischer & brodeur in the same sentence... it was emery and brodeur...

Why come we always have to face a red-hot goalie? Why all the goalie we face are hot? Are we that unlucky? Or are we making the goalies look good?? arghhh

Emery should have been ejected after slashing Lapierre, and Gerber swiss-cheesed

Well if anything this team is consistent:

AFTER 56 GAMES:

2003-04 - 63 POINTS (Finish with 93)

2005-06 - 62 POINTS (Finish with 93)

2006-07 - 64 POINTS

We will have to go 14-11-1 to finish with 93 points this season.

Typical Habs season, but we need the hot stretch run we have used in the last 3 seasons just to get into the playoffs.

Well another night, another Higgins Koivu and Ryder minus 2 each. They don't even have to play with eachother and there always in the minus.

I'm also not sure why people blame the goaltending again? A Souray turnover then taking himself right out the play led to the first goal, yes it was soft but it never would have happened without 2 mistakes by Souray. The defensive zone coverage was pathetic as always. Offensive zone looked a little better or atleast like an NHL team.

way too many stupid penalties AGAIN, i feel like i've said that 60 times this year. Why do players like Perez get sat for penalties but the vets, koivu, dmen always get a free pass.

Please Bob, the fans have seen enough of the vets. Please start a fire burning sale asap. This team is not going anywhere, get younger.

On the plus side i liked Begin, Lapierre and Komi tonight.

ya well were bound to get a good stretch run, we've had some bad luck in the last weeks. good effort tonight boys, too bad we couldnt solve emery, terrible refs again....who would hav thought? what was the final amount of penalties for both teams?

i'm certainly not averse to the idea of trading away many of the older players (kovalev, rivet, samsonov, etc... but NOT koivu)

i'm certainly not averse to the idea of trading away many of the older players (kovalev, rivet, samsonov, etc... but NOT koivu)

Me neither, the goal is the cup and not selling the future for a first round playoff whipping.

Me neither, the goal is the cup and not selling the future for a first round playoff whipping.

like-minded thinking...

i've always had a hard time with the idea of trading away a prospect (unless, of course, the prospect has truly had his run with us...) in order to get a hired gun...

the only example of one that worked (sort of...) for me was the jays trading some youth in order to get david cone for the '93 world series...

on the other hand, i've seen too many randy johnsons traded away in order to see a team get knocked off in the playoffs (see the old expos)

like-minded thinking...

i've always had a hard time with the idea of trading away a prospect (unless, of course, the prospect has truly had his run with us...) in order to get a hired gun...

the only example of one that worked (sort of...) for me was the jays trading some youth in order to get david cone for the '93 world series...

on the other hand, i've seen too many randy johnsons traded away in order to see a team get knocked off in the playoffs (see the old expos)

The only difference being that the Jays were that one guy away from winning it.

We are 1 player away if that player is Sydney Crosby.

There is 3 weeks until the trade deadline and barring a hot streak, if we are 4-5 points out

then why trade a Kostitsyn or a Perezhogin to sneak into the playoffs?

Well if anything this team is consistent:

AFTER 56 GAMES:

2003-04 - 63 POINTS (Finish with 93)

2005-06 - 62 POINTS (Finish with 93)

2006-07 - 64 POINTS

We will have to go 14-11-1 to finish with 93 points this season.

Typical Habs season, but we need the hot stretch run we have used in the last 3 seasons just to get into the playoffs.

This is one of the most demoralizing stats I've seen in a long time. Absolutely no improvement over three seasons. I'm starting to agree with the view that the Core of this team is the problem and that we'll never get anywhere until it changes. All the more reason to make some big moves, either now or in the off-season; and all the more reason to put a premium on developing our young players. Like Perezhogin, who has so thoughtfully been replaced by the pointless Mark Streit in the team's depth-chart.

As for the theory that we'll get hot and squeak into the playoffs - all it will take is one major injury to send that fantasy packing. Remember that.

Funny thing about 'the core...' Gainey adds an element, like Kovalev, and another element, like Theodore, decides to completely collapse. Then he adds a Samsonov, who immediately proceeds to have his all-time worst season. No matter what Bob does, no matter how sensible the move, the team seems to end up on a treadmill.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, the core is done. Koivu is in a weird way untrade-able, but must be moved to the second line. Probably should have been there most of his career.

The kids have to have a run-out, give them a very good shot, not a two-game call-up and a quick trip back on the Hambletonian Charter Express. Let them play and develop something together.

Kovalev would, I think, fetch a pretty high price. Rivet is a nice sweetner to a playoff-bound team (vet, defensive, depth, leader, blah blah blah). Ryder can be traded or at least busted down to a lower line. He scores in spurts, and maybe tonight will trigger another one, but he's in desperate need of some consistency. Samsonov untrade-able except in some kind of package. Bonk would fetch very high interest, but I wouldn't think of moving him until I was convinced we have someone else (Lapierre?) to fill his role. Someone might take a shot at Cube. And of course there is the ongoing Souray dilemma: say what you will, he would attract a lot of interest.

Be interesting to see what Bob does in the next couple of weeks - especially if we suddenly find ourselves in 9th spot.

Wait, is this a 'Habs-panic' post????

Yeah, the core is done. Koivu is in a weird way untrade-able, but must be moved to the second line. Probably should have been there most of his career.

The kids have to have a run-out, give them a very good shot, not a two-game call-up and a quick trip back on the Hambletonian Charter Express. Let them play and develop something together.

Kovalev would, I think, fetch a pretty high price. Rivet is a nice sweetner to a playoff-bound team (vet, defensive, depth, leader, blah blah blah). Ryder can be traded or at least busted down to a lower line. He scores in spurts, and maybe tonight will trigger another one, but he's in desperate need of some consistency. Samsonov untrade-able except in some kind of package. Bonk would fetch very high interest, but I wouldn't think of moving him until I was convinced we have someone else (Lapierre?) to fill his role. Someone might take a shot at Cube. And of course there is the ongoing Souray dilemma: say what you will, he would attract a lot of interest.

Be interesting to see what Bob does in the next couple of weeks - especially if we suddenly find ourselves in 9th spot.

3 weeks to determine where this season is going. A hot streak will change everybodys attitude. A 5 game winning streak has Leaf fans whistiling out their asses.

:puke:

These days EVERY post should be a 'habs panic' post :puke:

:puke:

These days EVERY post should be a 'habs panic' post :puke:

check out my 'panic button' post on 'The Official Habs Panic Thread'... i like it... especially the last one...

There is a balance, for sure. But you've also got to remember that all of our prospects aren't going to make it. Face it, many Habs fans severely over-rate the team's prospects. We've supposedly been one of the top 5 teams in terms of good prospects, yet we haven't developed a single stud. Higgins, Plekanec, and Komi are all good players, but they're not gonna be stars.

Kovalev getting benched was a good call by Carbo. After punishing Sammy and Rivet, Carbo had to show he was just and nailing Kovy to the bench after his blueline turnover was the way to do it. Ditto for Niinimaa who barely played after that humongous blunder on the Kelly goal.

Are you kidding me? Why hasn't Sucku Koivu been benched for his shitty play then, because Lord knows he's been far worse for most of the past 15 games than Kovalev was tonight. Sucku should have been bloody SCRATCHED from the lineup after some of his selfish lazy offensive zone penalties.

This reeks of Carbonneau's ######ed logic, just like when he scratched Samsonov after he'd been working very hard and was creating chances. Carbo was a great player, but he's a LOUSY coach.

I like to see more converts to seeing my point about the core being totally overated. All the core does is get older, slower, softer.

As for carbo, i'll only make this point 1 more time (i'm getting a headache from people who don't get it) This group of core players has had 4 coaches, 3 of which are coaching teams in the playoffs. It's the LAZY players that is the problem. Give Carbo a few years before passing judgement.

There is a balance, for sure. But you've also got to remember that all of our prospects aren't going to make it. Face it, many Habs fans severely over-rate the team's prospects. We've supposedly been one of the top 5 teams in terms of good prospects, yet we haven't developed a single stud. Higgins, Plekanec, and Komi are all good players, but they're not gonna be stars.

Higgins has star potential and has shown it by being a dominating player for two half-seasons. Lats will get there, I have very little doubt.

On the whole, though, the stalling in the development of blue-chip prospects such as Perezhogin and Kostityn, to say nothing of Ryder's and perhaps Komisarek's and Higgins' regressions, is the thing that worries me most this season. I can handle losing IF these players show improvement. They're not. And these guys absolutely HAVE to become serious players or we're looking at another decade of futility. (That's why I keep obsessing over Carbo's fixation on Mark Streit. Of all the players we should be nurturing for the future of this franchise, Streit is fookin' LAST. Better to lose with Pzhogs than win with Streit - which we ain't doing anyhow).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Are you kidding me? Why hasn't Sucku Koivu been benched for his shitty play then, because Lord knows he's been far worse for most of the past 15 games than Kovalev was tonight. Sucku should have been bloody SCRATCHED from the lineup after some of his selfish lazy offensive zone penalties.

Koivu hasn't been scratched yet because Carbo's patience is proportionaly relative to the player's rank in the vet's ladder. If we Rivet was named Niinimaa, he's have been a healthy scratch a long while ago. But it got there, and now its getting to Kovalev. Koivu's turn hasn't came up yet because he'll probably be the last one to get scratch.