Would you trade Souray?

BCHabnut

He's very important to the PP, he has a nose for the net, and I'm pretty confident that if he wanted, he could destroy most guys in the league in a fight. (Evertime he fights the other guy's blood is everywhere), but I hate him defensively. I also think we could could actually get something for him. He's probably worth more than any -13 player in the league. Personally I would trade him. We'll probably lose him anyway in the summer.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am for it only because the demand is very high for him and the Habs could probaly get a very good prospect for him.

Souray has been playing with a bad shoulder all season (notice how he rarely takes a hit) and I am worried that he could get injured and out indefinitly. It seems to happen every season with this guy.

All that being said, if the Habs somehow turn things around in the next 10 days then it may be worth the gamble to keep him. If they continue to flounder then I say trade him.

as much as i would find it distasteful, yes, i'd trade him... but it would cost the buyer a good chunk... much more than a draft choice... much more...

for sure, i'd want a solid prospect along with a high draft choice

GO :hlogo: GO!

I love Souray too , but agree with you all he could fetch us a few good players. Even if we go on a run and make it to the finals this habs team has a weak heart. He is going to test the market no-matter what. I say get something while you can.

I love the fact he's scoring .....I just don't think he knows how or why? He'll never have a year like this one again.........TRADE=YES

He was on this pace one year then got hurt. He knows how to score and will be a top offensive d-man for years to come.

Should they trade him? If they have given up on the season and get a decent offer, then yes.

If they want to make a playoff run, they need to keep him. Without him (or Kovalev for 3 weeks), this team has zero offense.

I say trade him...we have no shot at re-signing him, and we're a crap shoot to even make the playoffs at this point, much less take a deep run. Letting him leave in the summer as a UFA and getting nothing for him would be an incredibly stupid move.

Souray is my 2nd favorite habs, and I'll hate to see him go, but in the end BG has to do what gives this team the best chance to win IN THE LONG RUN.

Edited by sbhatt

I'm not given to wild speculation , or making trade suggestions - that's for Bob Gainey to decide.

However if this free fall continues I will be surprized if Gainey doesn't move Souray and, or Rivet for some future considerations at the deadline? It will be very interesting as that date approaches.....

Edited by beliveau1

Never!!!!!!

Souray is to valuable to this team. Everyone says we have no shot to resign him. I disagree, if we trade him we have no shot to resign him. If we keep him, at least we have a chance. I think that Souray adds way to much to this team. He is the first player to stick up for any teamate on the ice. He is an offensive threat on the ice, every team we play against knows where he is at all times. I have seen him make some good defensive plays, which never get mentioned. No player wants to skate into the zone against him, If they don't beat him, they know they are going to get hit hard. He is a great leader for this team. Losing him would cause this team to further fall apart(if that is possible). I do agree that he is not worth the money, but are any of these guys worth the money. These guys all get paid millions to play a sport they love. A career which most people dream of, not just for the money either. The current market sets the price he is worth but to replece him, we will have to spend the same on someone else, since it doesn' seem that any prospects will be ready. People say he wants to be closer to his daughter, but just because he is closer, doesn't automatically mean that he will see her more. He may only have certain visitation times. Also from what I read earlier in the season, he had worked out a good schedule to be with her. All in all, these are just my opinions, but the way I see it, he playes hard every night(I never have read any say he takes nights off), Plays with passion, for the game and the Habs, he likes playing in Montreal. Even though he may not be the best player in the league, I feel that this team needs more players like Souray, not get rid of one that brings this much to our team every night.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Souray is one of my favs. But this team does not look like it is interested in foregoing any golf times this year so rather than lose him for zip and not make the playoffs we will have to trade him or sign him but that does not seem likely. Lets get someone good and build some more for next year when our future is brighter.

I am totally torn on this one.

I wouldn't mind seeing us move him as I think his next contract will be too rich for the Canadiens and that we need Markov more than Souray.

Having said that, our D is still a weak spot. Rivet, Bouillon, Dandenault, are all mediocre at best. Even Streit has really grown on me this year, he is very polyvalent - versatile and seems to take any role given with grace and determination.

And the farm isn't stacked in the D department either.

So really, should we trade away one of our 2 truly offensively capable d-men? I just don't know, but I do trust that Gainey will make the right call for the team. If it is for a young D prospect, I'd say go for it.

If he's not going to sign, and BG will have a good idea on this, trade him, we could get a great young prospect(preferably D) and a 1st rounder plus a role player. This guy will save us 6 million by not being here next yr, i think we could bring in 2 good defenseman for that. Or keep Markov(a necessity). We could always add Samsonov in that deal if we get less in return that way we save even more salary next yr. A Marleau, Markov and anther lesser defensman wouldnt look bad next yr

I'd say yes. We won't resign him.

Whatever we get back, we should include at least a d-prospect with a forward. I'd be amazed if the Wings give up on Datsyuk - but I'd take him in a heartbeat. The Kings will quickly lose ground in that market to the Ducks if they don't start making the playoffs, Souray would be a very attractive player to them.

There will be a lot of takers for Souray. Great team player, never complains, offensively gifted - could bring a very good team a Cup. Price will be high.

I'm not all that convinced that Markov is happy with the Habs. He just seems to me like a guy that wants to be elsewhere. Maybe I'm wrong., but I just get the feeling that he's lost his "zest" for playing for us.

If that's the case, and they do indeed find out that Markov is not entirely happy in Montreal, then trade Markov and keep Souray.

As said earlier, Souray now knows how to score... he knows he can do it. This year is no fluke. Souray could be a 30 goal defenseman in the near future... how many of them around?

I would say yes for a prospect and a high pick. Nagy cost a 1st rounder and he's having a terrible season. I love Sheldon, but he does have his weaknesses and if he cant be re-signed then we need assests in return

Has Souray actually SAID to anyone that he wants to be in California or the West coast? Seems to me that he looks pretty proud to be wearing a Habs jersey, and defensive lapses or not, he's a real leader that commands respect on our team.

So if Markov is not fussy to be a habs, and Souray does want to stay... then I say by all means trade Markov and KEEP Sheldon.

Has Markov actually said he doesn't want to play here next year, or that he'd like to test the free agent market?

I might be wrong, I thought Souray had mentioned that being closer to his daughter would be ideal, but he also loves playing for the Habs. I might be wrong about that though.

Even-up, Souray or Markov, without thinking of other factors? I'd say Markov - I also think Souray has higher trade value than Markov.

Neither player has said he wants in for sure or out for sure but what would you seriously expect them to say.

" I will sign here for whatever they offer me" or "I am leaving this shitty town and shitty team to play in a less pressured environment"

But would I trade Souray well yes I would trade any player on the Canadiens depending on the return, most players are untouchable only because the players that would be needed in return are impossible to acquire.