Something to be very positive about

KoZed

With all the injuries and poor performances the Habs have had lately, there's been one often overlooked positive that proved itself something to be happy about: the Habs young depth.

Habs lost big pieces -- core pieces -- in the recent weeks: Higgins, Kovalev, Huet, Rivet, Begin, etc. Yet the Habs managed to dig into their prospects and find replacements: Halak, Kostitsyn, Milroy, Lapierre, etc. And they had choices because they could have well called up Danis, Grabovski, Chipchura, Ferland or Locke. Moreover, the guys that have been called up by the Hamilton Bulldogs to replace those who went up (Urqhart, Desjardins) have been doing pretty well in the AHL.

Its clear that the Habs are sitting on one pretty good and resourceful prospects pipeline. One of the best in the League? You could argue that.

Of course it's still looks like a year or two before the best part starts pouring in the lineup, but personally I dont recall the Habs having so much good young prospects since the early 80's when their then-affiliates Sherbrooke Canadiens won the Calder Cup in 85. And the next season their was 8 rookies in the Habs lineup; and almost everyone of them played an major role in the Stanley Cup victory (Roy, Lemieux, Richer, Skrudland, Momesso, Lalor, Maley, Rooney, Kordic, Dahlin). A couple of them also became core players for the following years.

What those kids have proven lately, it's that Gainey can trade or let go of some fixture UFA's in the summer and trust those young players to take their regular spots in the lineup. Gainey could, say, let Bonk walk this summer and thrust his spot in the hands of Plekanec or Lapierre. Ditto for, say, Johnson or whatever.

Habs would save money under the cap, giving them a much better hand in trades or signings. From then on, it would be much easier to swing a big deal.

Most of all, the Habs would have took a big turn in reshaping the team toward something that always pays off: a grown-from-within team of players who had been chosen and molded with a common philosophy. In the History of the NHL, that always prove to be a success. Just think of the Islanders and Oilers in the 80's, Red Wings and Devils' in the 90's, etc.

In a way it's nothing we not already knew or suspected. But now we're starting to see it happen for real; and it's just starting. It's not an expectation anymore. It's an ascension in the making and I think we just took off.

Meh there are no prospects that are gonna be anything more then Ryder as far as production goes.

We still need a superstar.

AWESOME!

Knowing how lately everything turns out completely the opposite way of what you said would happen; that's great news what you just wrote!

WOOHOO!!!

Meh there are no prospects that are gonna be anything more then Ryder as far as production goes.

Seriously, man, please think before you post. Your negativity is horrible. I have been cheering for this team for 30 years, and the last 10 years have been disapointing, but Kozed is bang on with his post. If a large portion of the team can be filled with good, low cost talent, We can afford to sign that superstar.

No we dont, you can win the cup with a team of 20-30 goal scorers, infact its much more likely. The only superstar necessary is between the pipes. We need more ryders, the only problem I see with our prospects is that some lack Ryder's finish and are in the 10-20 goal range instead of the 20-30.

The problem is that young players can go on a good run for periods of time. Markov burst onto the scene, then started to get benched for wobbly defensive play, only really coming around after a couple of touch-and-go seasons. Perezhogin tore it up for his first few weeks in the NHL...and then vanished. Higgins exploded, then got hurt, then took two steps back - not that i don't think he's great, but his extended evaporation is typical. Murray looked like a great grinder last season, then sucked until recently. Even Latendresse, as sure fire a prospect as they come, has been consistently erratic.

It takes 2-3 seasons, usually, to get the full measure of a player. So I don't get too excited by the impressive performance put in by Milroy, Lapierre, etc.. Next season, expect at least two of those players to take a step back, go through extended slumps, or end up back in Hamilton. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Seriously, man, please think before you post. Your negativity is horrible. I have been cheering for this team for 30 years, and the last 10 years have been disapointing, but Kozed is bang on with his post. If a large portion of the team can be filled with good, low cost talent, We can afford to sign that superstar.

I have to say Kozed is right. I've been thinking for long time before my post and only Price and Grabovski (we'll see for Kots brothers) have the potential to be superstars. I can't wait to see Bob sign a superstar, but i don't see any superstar coming in Montreal before 2 or 3 years... In my book, Arnott and Shanahan aren't superstars, they're very good players, but by superstar I mean : Lecavalier, Gagné, Crosby, Sakic...

We have a good depth, but on the 2nd line only...

I have to say Kozed is right. I've been thinking for long time before my post and only Price and Grabovski (we'll see for Kots brothers) have the potential to be superstars. I can't wait to see Bob sign a superstar, but i don't see any superstar coming in Montreal before 2 or 3 years... In my book, Arnott and Shanahan aren't superstars, they're very good players, but by superstar I mean : Lecavalier, Gagné, Crosby, Sakic...

We have a good depth, but on the 2nd line only...

Funny enough all those superstars u named were drafted by their present teams and were not acquired by trade nor free agency.

this is why i am not for trading any picks nor anything that compromises our future

this is why i am not for trading any picks nor anything that compromises our future

Sooner or later we're gonna have to do it, mostly because we won't have room for all our prospects. Teams want young cheap talent and we'll be on a good position to be a seller.

Sooner or later we're gonna have to do it, mostly because we won't have room for all our prospects. Teams want young cheap talent and we'll be on a good position to be a seller.

Could not agree with you more Kozed. Most of the people on this board have little patience.

New Jersey was not built in 2-3 seasons. They began their ascension in 88 and it took them til 94 to make a large impact. 1988 was just a glimpse into the future.

Detroit had a solid team in the late 80's and continually choked in the playoffs in the early 90s before finally getting to the Finals in 95.

The lack of patience probably comes from watching Carolina/Anaheim/Minnesota/Calgary/Edmonton go off on one year miracle runs. But other than Carolina nobody has repeated that success.

Building from within is essential in the Salary cap NHL. If you fill your roster with homegrown talent and they remain restricted Free Agents for 6 years you can lock them in to reasonable cheap salaries.

Even if you do not develop a superstar the abundance of cheap talent creating your core allows you to go out and acquire one through trade or Free agency when you want to make your move. Teams like Tampa Bay who have used 21 million on 3 players will have to get rid of one of them sooner or later.

Gainey has been running this team for 3 Seasons (2 of which were under a cap), I don't understand what was expected. We have one of the best minor league systems in the NHL and sooner or later they will make their impact.

The best example right now in the NHL is Buffalo. Most of their roster is talent developed in the system, and few were very high picks except Vanek. They've got great cohesion because they've all been braught up in the same way.

The best example right now in the NHL is Buffalo. Most of their roster is talent developed in the system, and few were very high picks except Vanek. They've got great cohesion because they've all been braught up in the same way.

I agree, they seem to bring up a piece from their farm, plug them in and not miss a beat.

The difference with Buffalo being though that their 2 best players were stolen in trades.

Briere for Gratton and Drury/Begin for Reinprecht and Warrener.

Would Buffalo be the best team in the East if Briere was replaced by Gratton and Drury by Reinprect and Warrener? Probably not.

I like this thread. I for one believe a trade might be coming. One that will help. I find it strange that apparently Chippy might be available.

Why do everyone think that when a journalist state an opinion, it's automatically a true fact...

Brunet thinks that Chip might be available... but as with everything, BG never said such a thing. It's just Brunet's opinion...

Streamer's opinion is that Chip is untouchable.

Streamer's opinion is that Perez is available, as well as Plek.

But Streamer knows nothing, really.

Why do everyone think that when a journalist state an opinion, it's automatically a true fact...

Brunet thinks that Chip might be available... but as with everything, BG never said such a thing. It's just Brunet's opinion...

Streamer's opinion is that Chip is untouchable.

Streamer's opinion is that Perez is available, as well as Plek.

But Streamer knows nothing, really.

Dirty Harry's opinion that you're a punk!!

Yep, we're deep in prospects and holding onto all of them is pointless. We might as well clear out out the bottom shelves for some current help.

Trading for current help is stupid. Why do it? So we can be eliminated in six games instead of five? I've fundamentally lost faith in this core. Deal Souray for a major young gun who can anchor our team for years: voila, no more of this 'now he's good now he's not' game with prospects, we'll have at least one stud going forward. Keeping Souray (or other major players) because of this season's pointless 'playoff drive' is like saving your toe while allowing your arm to rot off. No thanks. The goal is a CUP not 8th place and yet another quick playoff exit.

Excellent post. Buffalo has developed their team threw the draft, as well as some excellent trades, Drury for Warriner comes to mind. But there is one big difference.

Buffalo has Lindy Ruff. The best coach in the NHL. Montreal has Carbonneau, not yet proven, but probably not as good as Lindy Ruff. Ruff knows how to win, and 90% of the NHL is trying to play his system and catch up to him....the Montreal Canadiens are one of them.

Funny enough all those superstars u named were drafted by their present teams and were not acquired by trade nor free agency.

Take a look at a thread called "we have to finish las few seasons" my point is there...

Yep, we're deep in prospects and holding onto all of them is pointless. We might as well clear out out the bottom shelves for some current help.

So true! We have too many prospects for our own good...Trade some while they still have some value. Corey Locke and Johnathan Ferland I see nothing special in, slap them in a trade and hope we can get some value for them. Play ene mini miney mo with the Kostitsyn brothers, and keep the ones who are deemed promising (Chipchura, Grabovski, Emelin). Earth to Bob Gainey, You Cant Keep All Your Prospects! Lets clean off those bottom shelves and get some talent in exchange. It's kind of like this....two newly published books for one that's been proven a bestseller. Lets go for it! And lets see how the Canadiens book of 2007 concludes!

GO :hlogo: GO

T-2 Days until Aebischeir/Rivet's Departure

So true! We have too many prospects for our own good...Trade some while they still have some value. Corey Locke and Johnathan Ferland I see nothing special in, slap them in a trade and hope we can get some value for them. Play ene mini miney mo with the Kostitsyn brothers, and keep the ones who are deemed promising (Chipchura, Grabovski, Emelin). Earth to Bob Gainey, You Cant Keep All Your Prospects! Lets clean off those bottom shelves and get some talent in exchange. It's kind of like this....two newly published books for one that's been proven a bestseller. Lets go for it! And lets see how the Canadiens book of 2007 concludes!

GO :hlogo: GO

T-2 Days until Aebischeir/Rivet's Departure

I would go with the opposite, trade the better players for draft picks and prospects...

I would go with the opposite, trade the better players for draft picks and prospects...

And tomorrow, everybody will cry cuz we missed the playoffs. That's what we need, missing the playoffs 2 years in a row to calm things downs and rebuild.

But if we miss the playoffs 2 years in a row, media will take on Gainey and Carbo...

It's a damn circle loaded of mess.

And tomorrow, everybody will cry cuz we missed the playoffs. That's what we need, missing the playoffs 2 years in a row to calm things downs and rebuild.

But if we miss the playoffs 2 years in a row, media will take on Gainey and Carbo...

I think by doing a combination of both will ensure us success for years to come. Gainey needs to look at it from both perspectives, and make sure the equations equal out...Let's hope hes good at algebra! :hlogo:

I am patient enough to wait 2 years and start to build up these rookies.