Why does the U.S. media hate hockey?

Fanpuck33_

I don't know if it is as bad in Canada, but everyone here is just bitching about how savage hockey is. They focus on uncommon instances such as Bertuzzi's sucker punch to target hockey as an over-violent sport that should not be tolerated.

There is never this kind of outrage when players in other sports intentionally injure other players. When has a pitcher, such as Pedro or Clemens, been accused of committing a criminal offense? What about when defensive players hit the quarterback in the head after he gets rid of the ball? What about when a basketball player takes a swings at a guy and breaks his eye socket? How about the time that linebacker from Ohio State tried to strangle Jim Sorgi of Wisconsin?

Sure, these people were suspended, but there was never such an outroar as there is when such an incident happens in hockey. How is sucker-punching a guy any worse than strangling somebody or throwing a 90 MPH fastball at a guy's head? I just don't understand why hockey is targeted.

[Edited on 3-22-04 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Sure, these people were suspended, but there was never such an outroar as there is when such an incident happens in hockey. How is sucker-punching a guy any worse than strangling somebody or throwing a 90 MPH fastball at a guy's head? I just don't understand why hockey is targeted.

I dont understand it either. The American media always does it for hockey, the only time hockey gets any coverage is when a horrible incident like this happens, and hockey gets labelled a "savage sport".

Its a load of crap. Hockey players are the nicest players in all of the 4 pro-sports, I dont have exact stats on it, but I can almost guarantee you that hockey players are involved in less criminal activity then players in the 3 other big North American sports. How many times a year do we hear about a basketball player arrested on drug charges? Or a baseball player arrested for abusing a wife, or a football player arrested for drunk driving or whatever... happens all the time, but rarely in hockey.

I totally agree, hockey players on average are much better citizens than athletes in other sports. It is people who go to hockey games to see the fights who give hockey a bad name. I know there are a lot of those in Columbus, where the favorite players are Nash, Zherdev (two young gunners) and Jody Shelley, the designated fighter. Sure, fights are par tof the game and are entertaining, but they are not the main part of the game. I hate the sports coverage here in the US. Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada just for the hockey coverage.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada just for the hockey coverage.

And the beer?

One difference I believe is in our laws re. assault. If I am not mistaken, in your country a person has to bring charges of assault against an assailant where as here the cops can lay the charge without a complaint being filed.

I feel a great country would come into being if our 2 married and took the best of our 2 sets of laws, of course we'd have to agree that hockey was our national sport and call it the United states of canada...

:can:

I agree also. When Steroids are running rampant in MLB and Marijuana in NBA, not to mention all the criminals in the NFL, why is this such a terrible thing? One act of random violence is a lot better than the situations that the other sports have going on.

I have a hard time understanding Americans

They (basically right-wing Christians) seem to hate voilence in sports, and the media. Yet they love to support bombing of a any third world nation. I guess it's just the hypocracy of conservative america.

When has a pitcher, such as Pedro or Clemens, been accused of committing a criminal offense?

Throwing a beanbag is different from threatening someone, then attacking him from behind causing a broken neck and concussion.

They (basically right-wing Christians) seem to hate violence sports, and the media. Yet they love to support bombing of a any third world nation. I guess it's just the hypocracy of conservative america.

American Christians have a history of hypocricy. That's nothing new. It's been happening for hundreds of years.

Originally posted by Ribeiro
Throwing a beanbag is different from threatening someone, then attacking him from behind causing a broken neck and concussion.

I agree, but there are some instances when it is obvious throwing at a guy's head is intentional.

American Christians have a history of hypocricy.  That's nothing new.  It's been happening for hundreds of years.  

I consider myself a conservative (leaning toward right-wing) American Christian and I love hockey. Christianity has nothing to do with hating hockey.

I consider myself a conservative (leaning toward right-wing) American Christian and I love hockey.  Christianity has nothing to do with hating hockey.

I would never intentionally say anything as ignorant as "Christians hate hockey." I'm sorry if it seemed that way in my post.

I was replying to the comment calling American Christians hypocrites, when there have been certain Christian hypocrites for a long time. It's nothing new.

I agree, but there are some instances when it is obvious throwing at a guy's head is intentional.  

That's what a beanbag usually is.

However, when the pitcher does this he has to prepare to get his ass kicked by a batter, who is usually large, stronger and less of a wimp. Or, in the national league, walk up to the plate and get nailed by the other team's pitcher.

Usually the pitcher in some way...is punished.

[Edited on 2004/3/22 by Ribeiro]

I realize you probably didn't intend to imply all Christians were hypocrites, but even so, I think the generaliztion is ridiculous. Every religion has plenty of hypocrites.

And in baseball, a beanbag normally is retaliation for something. Bertuzzi retaliated to a hit on a teammate, so the difference isn't as big as one might think. Both are vicious attempts at injury, and I don't see why there is no uproar to suspend pitchers for extended periods of time. People defend it as "part of the game." Throwing at a guy's head is as much a part of baseball as Bertuzzi's attack is a part of hockey. Neither should be accepted.

[Edited on 3-22-04 by Fanpuck33]

I realize you probably didn't intend to imply all Christians were hypocrites, but even so, I think the generaliztion is ridiculous.  Every religion has plenty of hypocrites.  

You must remember that a lot of KKK members are Christian. Also remember that Christians believed strongly in slavery, and in fact said it was a sin to help free slaves. If you've read Samuel Clemen's work, you would remember these things.

They also have problems with Jews and Gays.

All religions have hypocrites, but it's obvious in American Christianity. At least in some states.

And in baseball, a beanbag normally is retaliation for something.  Bertuzzi retaliated to a hit on a teammate, so the difference isn't as big as one might think.  Both are vicious attempts at injury, and I don't see why there is no uproar to suspend pitchers for extended periods of time

A retaliation for a legal hit?

Doesn't sound logical to me.

But look at where they were coming from back then. Many people, especially Protestants, who looked primarily at the Bible for insight found in the Bible that in the Old Testament, everyone had slaves. Basically the only time slavery was bashed was when Moses led his people out of Egypt. I am not trying to aruge that slavery is OK, just trying to show where early Americans were coming from.

America has the 2nd highest Jewish population in the world. If they were treated so badly, why would they want to stay here. I am not saying discrimination does not happen, but I personally have not seen it. I am sure it goes on in areas, but I honestly do not know how prominent it is.

Personally, I have nothing against gay people. But I do diagree with gay marriage. Man and woman were created the way they were for a reason, men were not intended to be with other men, same with women. But this does not mean I discriminate against gays. In fact, one of my friends in high school was gay.

By the way, thanks for arguing the points and not attacking me. I always appreciate that since it never happens in most places when I get in debates of this nature.

And on a completely different note, I still think Moore got away with that hit. I think he did a good job of hiding the fact that he leaned into Naslunds head with his shoulder after he passed the puck.