Habs at the Deadline

rafikz

IMO, Ryan Smyth would have been a great addition. He is the one guy who isn't afraid to pay the price and cause ruckess in front of the oppositions goalie. I really wish Bob Pulled the trigger on him. At this point and time, It's official that Bob Gainey has too much hope in his prospects. Although, MTL is blooming with too many prospects. I said this in a previous thread, Why not acquire a best seller for two newly published books (Say Ferland and Locke). MTL has too many prospects at this point IMO. I wasn't expecting much movement today, but I think that adding one more big name would have greatly benefited the team to keep pace with the teams around us in the Eastern Conference.

I hear your point, but to say we have 'too many prospects' is to assume that all of them are equally worthy or even NHL-calibre. You need a surplus of youth in order to get a critical mass of actual NHL talent.

As for 'keeping pace in the East' I still say - who cares? We're in no way serious Cup challengers anyway. So, trade away picks and youth for five or six playoff games, for a rental we might lose immediately afterwards? Non merci. And even if we keep Smith for 5-6 million a year, I dunno - seems to me we'd be wiser to direct that dough to a CENTREMAN such as, say, Briere in the off season. Wingers are not what we lack.

If anything, we should be impressed that the Habs did NOT make a move just to try to get those extra millions in playoff revenue. Clearly, the commitment to developing youth goes deep in this organization. And that's GOOD news.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumour has it he signed a 5 year 22 mill deal, thats a long rental.

Gainey makes 2 inconsequential moves, souray is gonna walk or get 5 mill next year. He will either save this team with offseason signings or start cleaning out his desk.

We are set to have the same run next year, huzzah! :rolleyes:

IF he could sign Ryan Smyth then maybe, but right now that is a rumor. It is also not clear Smyth would sign with the Habs...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Ryan Smyth on the team, but not at any price...

It seems to me that half the fan base are damning Gainey because he didn't dump Souray, and the other half are damning him because he didn't pick up Ryan Smyth, who is in the exact same situation as Souray. Probably some fans doing both.. :wacko: .

Hockey is part of the entertainment industry, but from a competitive point of view, and from a humanitarian point of view, General Managers can't be tossing adult human beings around like Pokemon cards just to satisfy the hardcore fans, the internet sites, and the sports channels.

True, It's a 1st Line Centre in which we are looking for anyways. If BG makes a move on either Briere or Drury in the offseason, every grudge I hold against him will be abolished. I can only assume that he is saving the cap space to make an attempt to resign both Souray, Markov and perhaps add that big name centre up front in the offseason.

Edited by justintb

IF he could sign Ryan Smyth then maybe, but right now that is a rumor. It is also not clear Smyth would sign with the Habs...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Ryan Smyth on the team, but not at any price...

No me either, I would have been fine not getting smyth but not getting something for souray will be unforgivable. If he does walk Gainey should go with him, no reason not to get a good package for someone of sourays value.

IMO, Ryan Smyth would have been a great addition. He is the one guy who isn't afraid to pay the price and cause ruckess in front of the oppositions goalie. I really wish Bob Pulled the trigger on him. At this point and time, It's official that Bob Gainey has too much hope in his prospects. Although, MTL is blooming with too many prospects. I said this in a previous thread, Why not acquire a best seller for two newly published books (Say Ferland and Locke). MTL has too many prospects at this point IMO. I wasn't expecting much movement today, but I think that adding one more big name would have greatly benefited the team to keep pace with the teams around us in the Eastern Conference.

Does anyone know for a fact that Lowe was ever in contact with Gainey about Smyth? As much as we might speculate as to how trades go down, we never really know for sure if Gainey knew Smyth was available. The guys on TSN were speaking about the Thornton deal last year and the fact that 26 GMs in the league never knew that he was available. The same could be true here. Smyth, Don Meehan and Kevin Lowe were apparently negotiating right up until a couple of hours before the deadline. It was only at that time that Lowe realized he wouldn't be able to re-sign Smyth and made a deal for him. In that case, he may have narrowed down the list of potential trading partners to a few so that he could get it done before the deadline.

Edited by RobRock

I hear your point, but to say we have 'too many prospects' is to assume that all of them are equally worthy or even NHL-calibre. You need a surplus of youth in order to get a critical mass of actual NHL talent.

As for 'keeping pace in the East' I still say - who cares? We're in no way serious Cup challengers anyway. So, trade away picks and youth for five or six playoff games, for a rental we might lose immediately afterwards? Non merci. And even if we keep Smith for 5-6 million a year, I dunno - seems to me we'd be wiser to direct that dough to a CENTREMAN such as, say, Briere in the off season. Wingers are not what we lack.

If anything, we should be impressed that the Habs did NOT make a move just to try to get those extra millions in playoff revenue. Clearly, the commitment to developing youth goes deep in this organization. And that's GOOD news.

That's horsecrap...We've been trying to develop youth for years now. I see no blue-chippers in our system, despite some depth. Dont get me started on the value of our draft picks, cuz we STINK at drafting.

Smyth is far from old, and could be the guy to build a team upon for years. Just imagine the work ethic our young guys could have learned from him

Way to go Gainey!!!!!

GUERIN HAS BEEN TRADED TO SAN JOSE FOR A 1ST ROUND PICK ; WE HAVE 2 1ST ROUND PICK ; WE COULD HAVE USED ONE ..... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

It's quite possible that Gainey looked around and saw how the bottom feeders such as Philly and St. Louis were getting multi picks for their UFA rentals.

By keeping the 2 picks we stay competitive with other teams looking to prospect load in the future. Bob really does bring the best of both worlds. He put us in a position to do a neat trade. That did not happen. But now we have probably the best amount of picks versus ALL of our division rivals!

Glass is half empty yes but if you look from a different angle you'll notice it is also quite half full :clap:

I heard he signed a contract with the oilers and then they moved him.

According to Meehan, they negotiated until 2:40 at which time the Oilers said they couldn't agree and started to make arrangement for a deal.

No contract was signed. He also said he had not spoken to the Islanders and that Smyth could still become UFA and he even did not rule out a return to Edmonton next year as he said everyone was very professional.

NO DEAL WAS SIGNED.

That's horsecrap...We've been trying to develop youth for years now. I see no blue-chippers in our system, despite some depth. Dont get me started on the value of our draft picks, cuz we STINK at drafting.

Smyth is far from old, and could be the guy to build a team upon for years. Just imagine the work ethic our young guys could have learned from him

Edmonton just traded away their Heart and Soul of the team. He could have taken the A which Rivet held for his time served in MTL. He is a true on and off ice leader, which MTL apparently needs due to the loss of Rivet.

According to Meehan, they negotiated until 2:40 at which time the Oilers said they couldn't agree and started to make arrangement for a deal.

No contract was signed. He also said he had not spoken to the Islanders and that Smyth could still become UFA and he even did not rule out a return to Edmonton next year as he said everyone was very professional.

NO DEAL WAS SIGNED.

Well we will see, nothing is for sure but if he does go back to edm next year they robbed the isles blind.

In my opinion, I did not expect/want Bob to make a trade for an old rental player for a playoff run. Instead, I had hoped that he would acquire someone who is in their 20's, and who can put the puck in the net alot and who is a center. NOT for a rental, to become apart of the team for years to come. Thats what I wanted, and its not what we got.

I hope Bob can snag someone in Free agency or make a trade at the Draft to make up for this lack of action

That was certainly true under previous GMs, but Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins have done a pretty damn good job since taking the helm. Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, Tomas Plekanec, Guillaume Latendresse, Michael Ryder, Andrei Markov…

I'm disapointed, only because I thought either BG should go out and get someone that can help and if not then deal Sourray and get some good return.

To do nothing at all I question alot. Either go one way or the other but to just sit tight. A goalie rental would've at least been nice, Aebischer is awful. We had the cap room, we have the assets and nothing. Couldn't even beat out the Isles offer for Smyth, when it was leaked 2 days ago the Habs had offered, a first, Perezhogin and Milroy. Tough deadline day. I already know what bob's PC is going to be exactly the same as last year.

That was certainly true under previous GMs, but Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins have done a pretty damn good job since taking the helm. Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, Tomas Plekanec, Guillaume Latendresse, Michael Ryder, Andrei Markov…

True, but we are YET AGAIN fighting for a playoff spot. We never sign the big UFA, and we never make the deadline deal. We talk about youth ,draft picks, prospects, and find ourselves in this endless cycle of mediocrity.

If I thought things would change next year or the year after, I'd be ok with it. But I just dont see it happening

True, but we are YET AGAIN fighting for a playoff spot. We never sign the big UFA, and we never make the deadline deal. We talk about youth ,draft picks, prospects, and find ourselves in this endless cycle of mediocrity.

If I thought things would change next year or the year after, I'd be ok with it. But I just dont see it happening

They added Kovalev. At the time, he was one of the biggest fish out there.

Bob will take a run at the Brieres of the world in the off-season. Whether he succeeds, that's not entirely in his hands.

Argh, we are complaining complaining complaining complaining complaining complaining and more complaining :angry:

It's OBVIOUS that if Bob made a trade chances are we would be FURIOUS that he gave away (insert name or names)

Well said.

A lot of this is 'quick fix' fantasizing. I keep coming back to the question: WITH rental X or Y, would we be real contenders? Since the answer is NO, this all amounts to whining from people who just can't get the concept of BUILDING a team over a number of seasons.

No worries, I just got off the phone with Gainey. He called to inquire about my son.

My son is 4' 1", 60 lbs. 8 years old.

Goaltender.

1 season - 3 shut outs, .500 record. GAA 2.8.

I explained to Bob that my son is not tall enough to reach the top of the net, but Bob felt that he would still be better then Abbey.

All I need to do now is close on the price. I am holding out for free equipment and an autographed stick from Koivu.

I will let you know....

P.S. Yes, I have started drinking....

Edited by brobin

I just hope that BG can get Sourray under contract for a reasonable price or a suitable replacement.

Knowing BG's history his thing is when the team is on the cusp like Dallas was that's when he will strike major at the deadline, unless he can get a great deal, which was not going to happen this year.

The Sourray conudrum was what bothers me. I'm just hoping that something can come out of it.

No worries, I just got off the phone with Gainey. He called to inquire about my son.

My son is 4' 1", 60 lbs. 8 years old.

Goaltender.

1 season - 3 shut outs, .500 record. GAA 2.8.

I explained to Bob that my son is not tall enough to reach the top of the net, but Bob felt that he would still be better then Abbey.

All I need to do now is close on the price. I am holding out for free equipment and an autographed stick from Koivu.

I will let you know....

P.S. Yes, I have started drinking....

As long as he doesn't go down as early as Abby. With his height I imagine he is a stand-up goalie, definitely better than Abby.

with BOB not making a trade, this shows to his team that he still has faith in them!

i beleive we can make the playboffs with the team we have right now... and now that the team realises bob gainey also believes that, theyre going to play even better!!

just wait and see...