Should have picked up...

Zowpeb

I know exactly what this forum is for - talking.....

I'm not opposed to that at all. My beef is with the absolute negativity that this forum has slowly evolved into over time!

Should we accept mediocrity - no. Never have suggested that once on this forum in all the time I've been here & never will. After all, I'm a Habs fan....

Never have claimed that Gainey knows all - please find evidence of that accusation? Habs fans aren't the only ones who discuss the moves their team makes = we aren't unique!

Not once have I said this year that I believe that this team is a bonafide contender. In fact from the word go I've said we are not. We are at this point in the schedule right where I expected them to be - fighting desperately for a playoff spot.

I said on several occasions that if Gainey can get a sweet deal for Souray then great. I was hoping to some degree that he could milk it for all he could get in return if a deal was there.

I am not a homer fan who thinks everything is fine no matter what - don't even think of lumping me into the group of pathetic fans that are called Leaf Nation..... :nono: :puke: :nono:

I think debate is healthy - that wondering if a deal could have been made or not is a part of this process.

However there is a difference between healthy, intelligent debate which some here continuously contribute, and some of the nonsense that seems to arise on many occasions? It includes those posts that make claims to the effect that suggest a person has more insight or knowledge than the current management.

Few if any here have inside access to what Bob Gainey was trying to do in order to better this team.

If they think he was doing nothing and voice it here they are misled or vain.

Gainey is a man who does not expect to under achieve. He played for this team in the glory years and expects to win, not finish last! He knows what this team lacks as well as any other manager out there. And he knows better than many of them, what it takes to play/win in this league.

If they think he did not try to get a goalie or strengthen this team in any way possible then they aren't being realistic. If a deal had presented itself that meant an improvement for now and the future, I'm sure he would have accepted it.

Unfortunately the biggest stumbling block to all of this speculation is the simple fact that he has to have a partner who is willing to deal. We all know that rumours existed as to a Souray deal -- however the buyers were limited? One of the so called suitors ended up unloading their high priced UFA's, another wanted a right handed defenceman(i.e. Rivet) all along, and why can't people understand that Brian Burke time and again made it clear he wasn't paying the going price for a rental!

As fans we'll never know for sure how close he may have come to making a deal, be it for a goalie, for Souray or any other talent available? My beef is with those who insist they know more, and ridicule a seasoned GM for things they can only speculate upon; not with those who debate the matter in a logical & rational manner! I appreciate reading posts that are solid critiques and not unfounded, negatively oriented rants. On the other side of the coin, there are others that just don't think before they rattle off....

Add to that the fact that many of the same people who are screaming about this teams lack of offense, and how it is hurting their supposed Cup chances(?) are suggesting the Habs unload their best offensive weapon so far this season. Talk about contradicting positions?

That is why I said what I said - whether you agree with me or not is your choice.

You have to admit that there has been some extreme negativism expressed here lately that has not been based in reality at times and I was addressing that type of comment. Not good debates on the only sports team I really follow - the rest are just unnecessary distractions!

:ghg:

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

I also would like to say that your post is a reasonable approach. I have many times wondered where some of these people get their ideas.

As I stated yesterday if there was deal to be made Big Bob would have done it. Obviously he wants this team to be better. What do people think he suddenly got stupid, put his hands in his pocket and ignored all those wonderful trades that were offered? :blink:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see any sort of bashing of Gainey in the thread...yes, I'm calling out the organizations lack of movement but it's clearly about debate.

I never bashed Gainey or the organization, nor have I read the threads you think this is happening in...admittedly I don't read every thread on the board. Frankly, I think your comments are off base in this thread.

You have yet to convince me to change my stance and that is the entire purpose of debate.

I don't claim to have any insight into what Gainey was doing or trying to do...what I know is that I don't like the results, especially if/when we lose Souray in the off-season.

You say your beef is with negative people who speculate and insist they know more...I've never done that and I started this thread. Frankly, the real issue I have is why you've hijacked my thread with this holier then thou junk? You want people to respond logically and rationally then you should respond in kind. Instead we're left with a bunch of posts about why we shouldn't critique Gainey, we're just speculating, etc...

It appears we will lose Souray for nothing. It appears we will scrape into the playoffs at best.

To hold onto a pending UFA in this circumstance hurts this teams chances of long term success. I am quite confident in my belief that a number of teams would have been interested in dealing for Souray.

BTW...I'm thinking very clearly.

I also would like to say that your post is a reasonable approach. I have many times wondered where some of these people get their ideas.

As I stated yesterday if there was deal to be made Big Bob would have done it. Obviously he wants this team to be better. What do people think he suddenly got stupid, put his hands in his pocket and ignored all those wonderful trades that were offered? :blink:

No, I am wondering if this team is happy enough to just turn a buck with fans who are hoping for more then just a playoff team...much like MLSE is with Peddie and Ferguson Jr. running the Leaf ship.

I don't think Gainey is stupid at all. Quite the opposite...which makes me question this even more.

If we don't sign Souray in the off-season this is a major mistake.

I know exactly what this forum is for - talking.....

I'm not opposed to that at all. My beef is with the absolute negativity that this forum has slowly evolved into over time!

Should we accept mediocrity - no. Never have suggested that once on this forum in all the time I've been here & never will. After all, I'm a Habs fan....

Never have claimed that Gainey knows all - please find evidence of that accusation? Habs fans aren't the only ones who discuss the moves their team makes = we aren't unique!

Not once have I said this year that I believe that this team is a bonafide contender. In fact from the word go I've said we are not. We are at this point in the schedule right where I expected them to be - fighting desperately for a playoff spot.

I said on several occasions that if Gainey can get a sweet deal for Souray then great. I was hoping to some degree that he could milk it for all he could get in return if a deal was there.

I am not a homer fan who thinks everything is fine no matter what - don't even think of lumping me into the group of pathetic fans that are called Leaf Nation..... :nono: :puke: :nono:

I think debate is healthy - that wondering if a deal could have been made or not is a part of this process.

However there is a difference between healthy, intelligent debate which some here continuously contribute, and some of the nonsense that seems to arise on many occasions? It includes those posts that make claims to the effect that suggest a person has more insight or knowledge than the current management.

Few if any here have inside access to what Bob Gainey was trying to do in order to better this team.

If they think he was doing nothing and voice it here they are misled or vain.

Gainey is a man who does not expect to under achieve. He played for this team in the glory years and expects to win, not finish last! He knows what this team lacks as well as any other manager out there. And he knows better than many of them, what it takes to play/win in this league.

If they think he did not try to get a goalie or strengthen this team in any way possible then they aren't being realistic. If a deal had presented itself that meant an improvement for now and the future, I'm sure he would have accepted it.

Unfortunately the biggest stumbling block to all of this speculation is the simple fact that he has to have a partner who is willing to deal. We all know that rumours existed as to a Souray deal -- however the buyers were limited? One of the so called suitors ended up unloading their high priced UFA's, another wanted a right handed defenceman(i.e. Rivet) all along, and why can't people understand that Brian Burke time and again made it clear he wasn't paying the going price for a rental!

As fans we'll never know for sure how close he may have come to making a deal, be it for a goalie, for Souray or any other talent available? My beef is with those who insist they know more, and ridicule a seasoned GM for things they can only speculate upon; not with those who debate the matter in a logical & rational manner! I appreciate reading posts that are solid critiques and not unfounded, negatively oriented rants. On the other side of the coin, there are others that just don't think before they rattle off....

Add to that the fact that many of the same people who are screaming about this teams lack of offense, and how it is hurting their supposed Cup chances(?) are suggesting the Habs unload their best offensive weapon so far this season. Talk about contradicting positions?

That is why I said what I said - whether you agree with me or not is your choice.

You have to admit that there has been some extreme negativism expressed here lately that has not been based in reality at times and I was addressing that type of comment. Not good debates on the only sports team I really follow - the rest are just unnecessary distractions!

:ghg:

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

I am still keeping faith in Gainey (till THIS offseason anyway).....But don't you think the development of negativity on the board is kind of related to the way the team is going these days. I mean we've gone from a contender, to a pretender and have made some questionable moves (or non-moves).

I dont think I'd want to be a part of a forum where everyone thought every move a GM made was wonderful and didnt question anything....nor one where a team went from 21-8 to barely .500 and thought everything was rosy.....There is lots be negative about, is the point. Especially when you are a fan of this glorious team and expect MUCH BETTER!!

We've had plenty of that..... :puke:

I'm all for not blowing up the team and sacrificing the future to take a run with a team that obviously isn't a cup contender....BUT....making one move with a first rounder and so-so prospect to get someone that could help now would have been fine by me!!!

This about sums up my thoughts for the trade deadline past...not much to ask

I fail to see any sort of bashing of Gainey in the thread...yes, I'm calling out the organizations lack of movement but it's clearly about debate.

It may not be in this thread, but it's here on other threads. It's also a minority opinion, I think.

I am still keeping faith in Gainey (till THIS offseason anyway).....But don't you think the development of negativity on the board is kind of related to the way the team is going these days. I mean we've gone from a contender, to a pretender and have made some questionable moves (or non-moves).

I dont think I'd want to be a part of a forum where everyone thought every move a GM made was wonderful and didnt question anything....nor one where a team went from 21-8 to barely .500 and thought everything was rosy.....There is lots be negative about, is the point. Especially when you are a fan of this glorious team and expect MUCH BETTER!!

This about sums up my thoughts for the trade deadline past...not much to ask

I dont think we would have criticized Bob if this was the first year he had stood pat. However, he is doing this every year. We cannot attract free agents so our only real option is to build with draft choices and good young players. We should have traded Souray to get those young good players

Everybody here(meaning on this forum - not just on this thread) seems to know more than Gainey and Carbonneau put together!!!!!

My god, why don't you all just write a letter of application to George Gillette and give him your resumes?

After reading all of your posts I'm sure he'd hire any one of you in a minute.....

SERIOUSLY - :puke: :puke: :puke: :?- :?- :?-

i.e. Gainey's useless, knows nothing, does nothing, missed the boat, blew that one, etc, etc etc

and, Carbonneau can't coach, benches the wrong guy, has the wrong lines, can't motivate anyone, etc, etc, etc

I think it's EA's fault. Their dyansty modes in their video games make everyone an armchair GM.

I dont think we would have criticized Bob if this was the first year he had stood pat. However, he is doing this every year. We cannot attract free agents so our only real option is to build with draft choices and good young players. We should have traded Souray to get those young good players

Did you ever consider that he couldn't get young good players for Souray?

Well, Gainey didn't want to move him. And Gainey didn't want to discuss contract with him either.

Obviously from each and every one of the trades that went down, you can see the premium being paid out. If Pascal Dupuis equals Alex Bourret and a 3rd round pick, what does Souray equal? Mind boggling.

Flail away in defence of Gainey, or yell in criticism of him all you want here people; but the main point is that Gainey chose to stand down and play it out with the current roster.

Sure, he moved out Rivet and got a good return, but nothing that will help too much right now anyway. But on the other hand, we won't be losing Rivet for nothing either.

So, it's a mixed bag. There's nothing as fans that we can do other than hope that the current roster plays well. It's over done and with now.

Of course, if Souray re-signs (which I hope he does), we might be seeing things in a different light. But there's a difference between possible and plausible.

It is hard to fault fans for believing there was a deal for Souray out there.

I understand that Gainey has inside info that we are not privy to. Maybe he knows Souray will resign. Even if he does, I think it is a mistake to re-sign him.

But Philadelphia turned a past his prime defenceman into BRAYDON COBURN! He is one of the better prospects in the NHL. We turned Craig Rivet into a prospect and a first round pick. Over the hill rentals like Tkachuk and Guerin were fetching ransoms. I refuse to believe that nobody anted up for an NHL All-Star defenceman in his prime for the stretch run.

The possibility exists that maybe Gainey was asking for to much. Maybe Phoenix was asking to much for Cujo and Florida to much for Belfour. But you cannot argue that there seems to be contradictions to which way we are moving for the future. We did not strengthen for the playoffs and we did not rebuild for next year.

I think Gainey is a smart guy. But for the first time in 4 years I am doubting decisions. This whole situation is a buildup from signing Samsonov, the 2nd mid season collapse in a row and the straw that broke the back happens to be every habs fans collosal disappointment yesterday.

I have hope, but not strong belief that this team can win 10-11 of the next 16 games with an AHL goalie and essentially a career backup to take us to the playoffs.

How can you say that Gainey "did nothing to improve the future"? Getting a 22 year old defenseman for a 32 year old defenseman is definitely a move for the future. Acquiring an extra 1st and 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming draft is a move for the future. Picking up a 25 year old NHL roster goalie is a move for the future. Cutting the team payroll by over $1 million is a move for the future. I would say he made some significant moves to improve the team's future.

As for the present, Craig Rivet himself said at the time of the trade that he was still not 100% healthy. Josh Gorges is healthy and raring to go. Presumably the team is better in the short term with an extra defenseman they can count on. Michael Leighton is a young NHL backup goalie who can fill in for Huet for the balance of the season if necessary behind Aebischer. He has more experience than either of the current alternatives Yann Danis and Jaroslav Halak. Danis is injured as well. So, the team is better off through adding a couple of healthy bodies for the balance of the season, even if neither is likely to be a Conn Smythe winner in 2007.

How can you say that Gainey "did nothing to improve the future"? Getting a 22 year old defenseman for a 32 year old defenseman is definitely a move for the future. Acquiring an extra 1st and 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming draft is a move for the future. Picking up a 25 year old NHL roster goalie is a move for the future. Cutting the team payroll by over $1 million is a move for the future. I would say he made some significant moves to improve the team's future.

As for the present, Craig Rivet himself said at the time of the trade that he was still not 100% healthy. Josh Gorges is healthy and raring to go. Presumably the team is better in the short term with an extra defenseman they can count on. Michael Leighton is a young NHL backup goalie who can fill in for Huet for the balance of the season if necessary behind Aebischer. He has more experience than either of the current alternatives Yann Danis and Jaroslav Halak. Danis is injured as well. So, the team is better off through adding a couple of healthy bodies for the balance of the season, even if neither is likely to be a Conn Smythe winner in 2007.

Everyone gimme a break with Leighton....If I see him suit up for us this year, I will know it is the end. He has a few games more experience than Halak....wow. In fact, it seems the only experience of his that Halak is missing is 2 BEATINGS by the Leafs, and the experience of the waiver wire.

Let us all pray that it does not come down to Michael Leighton this year

Zowpeb - I never once accused you of this and check my original post(which I edited to reflect that it was at more than just this thread) before you say it is about this thread. It is all over this forum - people who just toss verbal hand grenades out in order to stir up emotions, make EA type trade suggestions and take underhanded shots at Gainey.

And I never set out to convince you to change your opinion - my comment was about a growing trend of unnecessarily negative posts, as well as unrealistic suggestions - not to mention unfounded claims about what goes on within the closed confines of this organization!

And who says beyond any doubt that the Habs will lose Souray - do you or any one else here really think that Gainey is so incompetent that he has not been talking to him about his intentions, and has taken them into consideration when making his decision?

I am open to good debate and I see a lot of it on this forum. Love it and often disagree with a lot of it.... that's life, right?

And please show me where I said critiquing Gainey is forbidden? :contract:

Please don't read something that I didn't write into my post....

As for holier than thou :huh: Give me an expletive deleted break..... I never attacked your opinion or your integrity once so back that one up a bit! Nor did I set out to hijack this thread - don't make unfounded accusations.... I could have dumped my comments in a number of other threads that developed a negative tone. I take issue with opinions that just are not based on any facts, or just have no rational basis. Verbal nonsense tossed out without any real insight or sensibility?

I basically responded to a couple of misconceptions you had about my original post here and pointed out that I was in agreement with good solid debate. I too question the Habs every time they make a move, but I try to stay away from making unfounded comments that are based on nothing but speculation. My beef wasn't with you at all - so why get personal in exchange. I never intimated that you weren't thinking clearly in my post. I don't always agree with you, but I do have respect for your opinions far more often than not - you are usually a voice of reason.

I wasn't out to hijack your thread - sorry if it appeared that way as it was not my intention.

And my apologies if you thought I was pointing a finger at you - I definitely was not.

Truce offered and I agree respectfully that critiques are important. I love them when they are well thought out - not just scatter brained rants!

p.s. I believe that good posts tend to be the majority still, but the silly ones and the negative ones I am referring to are growing in number?

Zowpeb - I never once accused you of this and check my original post(which I edited to reflect that it was at more than just this thread) before you say it is about this thread. It is all over this forum - people who just toss verbal hand grenades out in order to stir up emotions, make EA type trade suggestions and take underhanded shots at Gainey.

And I never set out to convince you to change your opinion - my comment was about a growing trend of unnecessarily negative posts, as well as unrealistic suggestions - not to mention unfounded claims about what goes on within the closed confines of this organization!

And who says beyond any doubt that the Habs will lose Souray - do you or any one else here really think that Gainey is so incompetent that he has not been talking to him about his intentions, and has taken them into consideration when making his decision?

I am open to good debate and I see a lot of it on this forum. Love it and often disagree with a lot of it.... that's life, right?

And please show me where I said critiquing Gainey is forbidden? :contract:

Please don't read something that I didn't write into my post....

As for holier than thou :huh: Give me an expletive deleted break..... I never attacked your opinion or your integrity once so back that one up a bit! Nor did I set out to hijack this thread - don't make unfounded accusations.... I could have dumped my comments in a number of other threads that developed a negative tone. I take issue with opinions that just are not based on any facts, or just have no rational basis. Verbal nonsense tossed out without any real insight or sensibility?

I basically responded to a couple of misconceptions you had about my original post here and pointed out that I was in agreement with good solid debate. I too question the Habs every time they make a move, but I try to stay away from making unfounded comments that are based on nothing but speculation. My beef wasn't with you at all - so why get personal in exchange. I never intimated that you weren't thinking clearly in my post. I don't always agree with you, but I do have respect for your opinions far more often than not - you are usually a voice of reason.

I wasn't out to hijack your thread - sorry if it appeared that way as it was not my intention.

And my apologies if you thought I was pointing a finger at you - I definitely was not.

Truce offered and I agree respectfully that critiques are important. I love them when they are well thought out - not just scatter brained rants!

p.s. I believe that good posts tend to be the majority still, but the silly ones and the negative ones I am referring to are growing in number?

All we need is a nice little playoff appearance and the positivity will come flowing back until Souray coughs the puck in the 3rd and then we will be back to I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED SOURAY!

Let's all be happy that we don't have to be 47 years old to know what winning the Cup feels like :)

If we intend on making the playoffs should we have acquired Biron? It took a 2nd round pick...and we probably could have given them a middle round pick and a guy like Danis instead since they went and picked up Conklin.

We'd have Biron and Huet going into the play-offs and that would at least give the team a better shot then Huet and Aebischer.

I really don't like the lack of action. This team IS NOT going to go deep in the playoffs let alone win the Cup. So either you bolster the team by trading from our plethora of young talent...OR...you trade your pending UFA's to acquire even better/more young talent. We basically accomplished neither...yeah, I think the Rivet deal was a no-brainer and we hosed SJ on that deal but there was an incredible lack of direction at this deadline.

Either trade Souray for the equivalent of high picks and decent prospects, as was the going rate.

OR, acquire a guy like Smyth and a d-man like Norstrom or Aucoin.

To do neither means we MAY scrape into the playoffs and make a couple bucks for Mr. Gillette...but nothing more.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this next comment BUT Gainey barely accomplished more then John Ferguson Jr. and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We were only marginally better thanks to the lop-sided Rivet deal IMHO.

buffalo wasnt gonna trade biron to us, i mean with the potential for a first round meeting you just dont do that stuff. we should have gotten curtis joeseph he is making 450k pure bs how aebischer and halak are our guys

:lol:

we have a direction we got a first round pick. We have 2 first round picks now. Can't get any better then that.

Listen this team didn't warrant a sell the farm for a playoff rental. That would be poor planning of the team by Gainey.

This team is a playoff team they just need to find themselves again.

But hey the world doesn't end after this season there will be another year so you've got to be ready for that year as well.

This team stars are old. Why trade young kids for more old folks nearing pension?

yea another season down the drain, wait til next year wait till next jeez thats what we have been saying since 1994. sick of it

Everyone gimme a break with Leighton....

Let us all pray that it does not come down to Michael Leighton this year

Leighton had the same kind of rookie AHL season as Halak, pretty much. His numbers were similar and he was named to the All Rookie team. He was a year younger at the time, as well. His NHL numbers are better than Halak's, even though he spent most of his time on terrible Chicago Black Hawk teams. His AHL career numbers are better than Danis and he is the same age. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that either Halak or Danis is a better goaltender than Leighton. I'll bet money he suits up for the Habs at some point this season.

Leighton had the same kind of rookie AHL season as Halak, pretty much. His numbers were similar and he was named to the All Rookie team. He was a year younger at the time, as well. His NHL numbers are better than Halak's, even though he spent most of his time on terrible Chicago Black Hawk teams. His AHL career numbers are better than Danis and he is the same age. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that either Halak or Danis is a better goaltender than Leighton. I'll bet money he suits up for the Habs at some point this season.

Halak didn't get waived....Halak didnt get killed by the leafs twice. Halak's confidence is likely much better....Leighton may suit up, but that will be the end

Halak didn't get waived....Halak didnt get killed by the leafs twice. Halak's confidence is likely much better....Leighton may suit up, but that will be the end

His thinking is so simplistic don't even bother.

Using his rationale he would have traded Thornton and kept Samsonov because in the first 3 years Samsonov

outscored Thornton 143-108. Players develop at different rates.

Like I said, there is a reason he defends Rejaean Houle.

Lets compare Thibault to Roy at the age of 19-20.

Win/Loss

Roy - 23-18-3

Thibault - 12-2-2

Goals against Average

Roy - 3.35

Thibault - 2.34

Save %

Roy - .875

Thibault - .917

First level thinking at it's finest!

His thinking is so simplistic don't even bother.

Using his rationale he would have traded Thornton and kept Samsonov because in the first 3 years Samsonov

outscored Thornton 143-108. Players develop at different rates.

Like I said, there is a reason he defends Rejaean Houle.

Lets compare Thibault to Roy at the age of 19-20.

Win/Loss

Roy - 23-18-3

Thibault - 12-2-2

Goals against Average

Roy - 3.35

Thibault - 2.34

Save %

Roy - .875

Thibault - .917

First level thinking at it's finest!

Yah, no doubt, he shouldnt be making those direct comparisons since players do have different development profiles. I dont so much disagree with him that the Leighton pickup could prove to be good 3-5 years from now.....but it seems stupid when you figure: a) We have lots of goalie prospects B) we probably could have had Joseph or Belfour pretty cheap.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record here, but I dont wanna hear Leighton's name in the same sentence as "improvements" or "playoffs" anymore. I cannot be convinced that this was a sensible move at this time....let alone our only addition.

ps. By the sounds of other GM's out there (eg. Burke), Gainey is a bit tough to deal with. He may, himself, be wishing he did more at the deadline....but was too slow on the draw. We can see from other deals that things happen quickly and it's easy to miss the boat.

So while many of us sit here and place absolute faith in management's Divine Plan...Gainey himself may wish things went down differently

so who else plays if Halak or Abby gets hurt? With Danis already hurt, we have nobody else to turn to. Not a spectacular move, but a decent move to obtain a goalie with NHL experience. Can't fault Bob for this. Also didn't give up anything for him and his salary is low. He is not here to lead us to the playoffs, just for insurance.

Leighton is to replace Danis in Hamilton or to replace Halak if he fails... Get a NHL proven backup (not the best one mind you) but still one FOR FREE? COME ON!!

Don't look at a Horse's teeth....! is the saying??? this topic is done!

Leighton is to replace Danis in Hamilton or to replace Halak if he fails... Get a NHL proven backup (not the best one mind you) but still one FOR FREE? COME ON!!

Don't look at a Horse's teeth....! is the saying??? this topic is done!

Leighton will not go to hamilton, he will be with the habs for the remainder of the season.

gazette

Halak doesn't have to be waived. The claiming of Leighton isn't the beginning of armageddon in Montreal. The Habs claimed a goalie. Why the heck is everyone reading so much into this? Sure Aebischer has struggled lately, but he played quite well at the beginning of the year. People started wondering (while Huet played below average) if Abby was truly the team's #1. Now Huet's injured, Aebischer hasn't played well in his absence, Halak is fair and people piss on Gainey because of Leighton? Sheesh. The Habs gave away no assets to acquire this player, and it doesn't hamper anything.

Maybe Gainey is thinking ahead to next year. People proclaim Danis and Halak ready to back up Huet. Maybe the organization is thinking the Leighton will back up Huet next year. Who knows? But to get ticked off because they claimed someone from waivers is absurd.

Halak doesn't have to be waived. The claiming of Leighton isn't the beginning of armageddon in Montreal. The Habs claimed a goalie. Why the heck is everyone reading so much into this? Sure Aebischer has struggled lately, but he played quite well at the beginning of the year. People started wondering (while Huet played below average) if Abby was truly the team's #1. Now Huet's injured, Aebischer hasn't played well in his absence, Halak is fair and people piss on Gainey because of Leighton? Sheesh. The Habs gave away no assets to acquire this player, and it doesn't hamper anything.

Maybe Gainey is thinking ahead to next year. People proclaim Danis and Halak ready to back up Huet. Maybe the organization is thinking the Leighton will back up Huet next year. Who knows? But to get ticked off because they claimed someone from waivers is absurd.

I don't think it is absurd to have a fan base to take out their disappointment on a goalie who has passed through 5 organizations in his young career, when he happened to be the only move their GM made and every team around you acquired an asset to help with the stretch run.

Gainey did nothing to make the Habs better for the next 20 games. Rivet for Gorges is a lateral move and adding a young goalie when you have a ton of depth at his position is essentially doing nothing.

When people are upset they need somebody to point their frustrations at. Add to the fact you have people posting that this kid is a great move just fans the flames. I have seen him play on more than one occasion and he has been less than impressive, does that mean he has no future? No. But it is an underwhelming move in a time with overwhelming expectations.

I think the Habs should of picked up a large bottle of Jack Daniels for everyone here to make our threads more intense :D

I would of liked to see Gainey pick up something other than a goalie on waivers, but hey he was free and in the end its hard to complain about free....

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Nobody is upset at the simple fact we picked up Leighton. Nobody is pissing on him for this. He is free...no big deal......The problem is people dont read the big picture!!

People are mad because...WE COULD HAVE PICKED UP AN EXPERIENCED, CHEAP, BETTER GOALIE....for almost nothing. Can anyone tell me please, why this wouldnt have made sense, since we clearly are going for the playoffs (ie. didnt deal Souray)

At least some people can agree with me that the 2 moves or non-moves just dont add up in the grand scheme of things. Even Bob makes mistakes

I don't think it is absurd to have a fan base to take out their disappointment on a goalie who has passed through 5 organizations in his young career, when he happened to be the only move their GM made and every team around you acquired an asset to help with the stretch run.

Gainey did nothing to make the Habs better for the next 20 games. Rivet for Gorges is a lateral move and adding a young goalie when you have a ton of depth at his position is essentially doing nothing.

When people are upset they need somebody to point their frustrations at. Add to the fact you have people posting that this kid is a great move just fans the flames. I have seen him play on more than one occasion and he has been less than impressive, does that mean he has no future? No. But it is an underwhelming move in a time with overwhelming expectations.

More importantly he didn't do anything to make them worse!!!

Nor compromise the future of the team's prospects. an extra first round pick is still an extra something!

teams that needed Guerin's Forsbergs etc are teams without our problems and those players are not even close to becoming the solution for us!... We need for starters Lecavaliers Gagne St Louis Ryan Smyth..etc... and those arent available and still not enough for our present problems

AND YES SMYTH is not available! He is going back to the Oilers this summer! I would bet on that!!

Had we Traded for him I would be miserable right now thinking how we lost that first pick and 2 prospects for a lousy run at the playoffs and then to lose Smyth in the summer!

No thanks! In Gainey we TRUST!