Should have picked up...

Zowpeb

If I read much more of this hysteria over the *unimaginably stupid mistake of not being more active on deadline day* I think I'm gonna puke. 'He should have traded a 12th-round pick for Martin Broduer...a 20-goal, 50-point all star defenceman and PP stud with the hardest shot in hockey is OBVIOUSLY not worth trying to keep...he should have flushed our future down the crapper to help this obviously condending team load up for the Cup drive...' Blah, blah, blah, it's like listening to honking geese, and about as sensible.

Who mentioned Brodeur ? Or a late pick?? When you exaggerate things like that, they seem unreasonable..

Nothing unreasonable about getting an aging, proven goalie LIKE THE ONES LISTED A MILLION TIMES (no, not brodeur or luongo) for a mid pick or something

I bet we'd be in the playoffs....and that can ONLY be good.

The only thing that sounds like geese is the constant defense of mangement and their lack of even a small move to bolster these things.....more like Lemmings.....Lemmings

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cujo or Belfour would have held the Sabres to five or less tonight...guaranteed. Bob dropped the ball.

I'm inclined to agree. I support Bob's decision to hang on to our prospects, and not give up the future... but Cujo could have been had for a song and dance (or a 1st round pick). Aebi ain't gonna cut it... Let's pray Halak can pull off a Huet/roy/Dryden impression.

You don't know that for sure. If I'm another GM, and I get a phone call from Bob Gainey about Cujo, I'm not giving him away as a favour. I'm getting as much as I possibly can for him. If Barnett was selling, Cujo would have been dealt, in all likelihood. They're looking to rebuild, so they're more likely to want young players ready to play over draft picks, in what is seen as a pretty mediocre draft class after the top two or three picks. And as we all saw, the teams out of the playoffs never dealt their starters, and what the team needs is a quality starter. Biron, Ty Conklin, Michael Wall, and Nolan Schafer were dealt, Brian Boucher and Leighton waiver claims. That was it.

Unless someone was intrigued by the Esche rumour before the deadline.

Who mentioned Brodeur ? Or a late pick?? When you exaggerate things like that, they seem unreasonable.

I think his name was inadvertently switched with Belfour's.

The Brodeur thing was sarcasm, obviously. I was referring to was this religious belief, rooted in no evidence of any kind, that teams were willing to deal their #1 goalies for 'mid-level picks.' Huh? You can 'refuse to believe' that we couldn't get Belfour or Cujo for garbage, but you can 'refuse to believe' anything. That doesn't constitute any sort of proof. And going from that total wishful speculation to being enraged at Gainey for not GETTING Cujo for garbage, well, that goes from the realm of fantasy into the realm of the ludicrous in my books.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

How about a defenseman that can defend?

Like I said, which guy rumoured to be out there could have helped us more than Souray can? There were no defensve d-men available, or atleast not being actively shopped.

The Brodeur thing was sarcasm, obviously. I was referring to was this religious belief, rooted in no evidence of any kind, that teams were willing to deal their #1 goalies for 'mid-level picks.'

Another thing to keep in mind is that we are dealing from a position of weakness an opposing GMs would raise their prices knowing that we're desperate with our #1 injured longterm. I think Florida would have wanted a 1st + for Belfour and I think Gainey was right in not paying such big price, or else all our gain from the Rivet trade is lost.

That's okay - sorry as I should have been a bit clearer? (unfortunately I picked this thread to post that comment which I will now edit to reflect this :mellow: )

It just steams me that people think they know more about the NHL than Gainey, and especially when they make such misinformed comments about it. :angry::angry::angry:

I didn't realize that Gainey was Omnipotent....

Gainey does make mistakes, in and IMO, he made a mistake not acquiring a goalie such as Belfour to give us some goaltending down the stretch. If Huet was healthy, then we would be fine.

By the way, almost every hockey analyst I have seen (and many of them have just as much hockey experience as Gainey) have stated the same thing. Either get a goalie for a pick, or sell your free agents. The odds of the Habs making the playoffs with Halak and Abbey are low to remote. Every game that goes by proves this out.

Gainey has definitely made mistakes in the past and he will make them in the future. We are allowed to point them out....Hell, I made a mistake once. My wife loves me dearly, but she had no issue pointing it out for me. (repeatedly). :P

Like I said, which guy rumoured to be out there could have helped us more than Souray can? There were no defensve d-men available, or atleast not being actively shopped.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we are dealing from a position of weakness an opposing GMs would raise their prices knowing that we're desperate with our #1 injured longterm. I think Florida would have wanted a 1st + for Belfour and I think Gainey was right in not paying such big price, or else all our gain from the Rivet trade is lost.

You're criticizing people for assuming that Gainey could have got a goaltender for a pick, but you're then making your own assumption that Belfour would have cost a ton. :huh:

If Gainey was going to go after a starting goalie, and that's a big if, then the only name that comes to my mind is Olaf Kolzig, but I don't think he's a free agent at the end of the season. If that's true, then that a pretty hard deal to make.

First, what about Huet? Huet's your number one, and all of a sudden come playoff time, you have a choice to make. Then next season, you have two number one goalies, which means you're probably going to have to trade one of them next season.

Second, Kolzig likes it in Washington, as evidenced by the fact that when he had the chance to leave via free agency, he stuck around. Even if he didn't have a no-trade, I think that management respects him enough to ask him if he was willing to be dealt, and honour his wishes.

If I was in Gainey's shoes, I'd have offered Perezhogin and a pick (San Jose's first rounder in the Rivet deal) or Corey Locke and Andrei Kostitsyn, if Kolzig was under contract beyond this season. If he was UFA at the end of the year, then the deal would be SJ's first rounder only.

Personally, I would have traded a pick to Florida for Ed Belfour.

Belfour may be off-the-wall, but he's shown he can still stop the puck, and he's an impending free agent. Chances are he will retire, and even if he didn't, Montreal has no need to re-sign him. Thus, Huet's job is safe.

To be honest, I don't really fault Gainey for not getting a goaltender.

David Aebischer had a decent track record as a starter in Colorado, and it wasn't farfetched to imagine he could hold down the fort till the playoffs and down the stretch. Unfortunately, he seems to have lost all his confidence and is playing like he's essentially useless.

I didn't realize that Gainey was Omnipotent....

Gainey does make mistakes, in and IMO, he made a mistake not acquiring a goalie such as Belfour to give us some goaltending down the stretch. If Huet was healthy, then we would be fine.

By the way, almost every hockey analyst I have seen (and many of them have just as much hockey experience as Gainey) have stated the same thing. Either get a goalie for a pick, or sell your free agents. The odds of the Habs making the playoffs with Halak and Abbey are low to remote. Every game that goes by proves this out.

Gainey has definitely made mistakes in the past and he will make them in the future. We are allowed to point them out....Hell, I made a mistake once. My wife loves me dearly, but she had no issue pointing it out for me. (repeatedly). :P

Please tell me where I said Gainey is Omnipotent? Where the hell did you get that idea...

Every one makes mistakes.... him included!

Reality is that you need to have a partner you can agree with about a trade - was one willing? Everyone here is speculating based on rumours that one was. What was the cost = was it too high? None of us here know for sure - not you or myself. And veterans like a Belfour, or a Joseph would more than likely have been asked where they want to go - what if they were saying that the Habs were not a team they wanted to go to? They would have been saying I want to go to a contender, or in Joseph's case(like Roberts) home to the Toronto area. And is it reasonable to think that any GM out there is just going to hand Gainey a good goalie for a mere song & a dance when he sees the Habs are desperate. No way - up goes the price right away. Economics = supply & demand baby!

I wish Gainey would have got a goalie, preferably Belfour as he is a UFA. No long term complications that way? I agree that this team is going to be very hard pressed to make the playoffs. I've said several times since the start of the year that this team is still on the bubble - with Huet down the bubble is pretty much stretched beyond the bursting point!

I have never, ever said that Gainey is infallible - I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth by misquoting me....

p.s. it's real easy for the analysts to make those comments when they aren't the one on the phone making the deal. And it is real easy for arm chair critics to hide behind phony web aliases and then hurl comments of any type - no real accountability for any comments they make? That type of mentalty is what bothers me - not solid and reasonable discussion/critiques.

I pointed that out several times. Good discussion is a joy to be a part of, there is much to be learned by it...

Edited by beliveau1

You're criticizing people for assuming that Gainey could have got a goaltender for a pick, but you're then making your own assumption that Belfour would have cost a ton. :huh:

Uh... yes? Belfour costs more than a "mid-round pick". FACT. That's just the market. It's liek saying Gainey should gotten Crosby for a 1st. It's just not how this league works. And when yuo're dealing from a position of weakness, the price is raised. FACT.

Uh... yes? Belfour costs more than a "mid-round pick". FACT. That's just the market. It's liek saying Gainey should gotten Crosby for a 1st. It's just not how this league works. And when yuo're dealing from a position of weakness, the price is raised. FACT.

HAHAHA...no it's not.....no it's not at all.

I hope this is exaggeration and not ignorance

Don't you guys think that all of the Chicken Little fans were tearing their hair out and wailing to the gods when a rookie fresh out of college was tending the nets going into the 1971 playoff season? Or a 20 year old third round pick with a terrible record as a junior, tending the nets going into the 1986 playoffs? Would those teams have been better off with a Charlie Hodge or Pat Jablonski instead? I'm sure that Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau remember those days.

At least they didn't end up with a fat little punk like Alex Bourret, a fat big one like Steve Bernier, or a self centred poser like Benoit Pouliot. I would rather see them get nothing for Sheldon Souray than any of those three. If Kovalev was complaining about Latendresse and Lapierre who are both solid character kids, he would have had an aneurism watching Bernier, Bourret, or Pouliot in Montreal.

Probably both, Joe. :lol:

My point is would the Habs have been better off trading for some 40 year old substance abuser to tend net in place of Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy in years gone by? Both of those guys won a Cup for the Habs as rookies, against all expectations. Why not give the younger goalies the club already has on hand the chance to prove themselves?

My point is would the Habs have been better off trading for some 40 year old substance abuser to tend net in place of Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy in years gone by? Both of those guys won a Cup for the Habs as rookies, against all expectations. Why not give the younger goalies the club already has on hand the chance to prove themselves?

Oh my God, have we all lost it......We throw a rookie goalie in nets and he's automatically Dryden or Roy?

Give me a break!!

As much as I hope that happens (unlikley as it is). If management was hoping for a new Dryden or Roy from their unproven goalie, as opposed to a proven vet in nets....then I have less faith the I thought in their moves.

ps. You are now starting to sound like leafs fans.....at least they didnt compare Aubin to Bower last year though!

Now you're just grasping at reasons we didnt make a move.

Whatever "substance" he was on the last time we played FLA...I wish we could get some for every one of our water bottles

At least they didn't end up with a fat little punk like Alex Bourret, a fat big one like Steve Bernier, or a self centred poser like Benoit Pouliot. I would rather see them get nothing for Sheldon Souray than any of those three. If Kovalev was complaining about Latendresse and Lapierre who are both solid character kids, he would have had an aneurism watching Bernier, Bourret, or Pouliot in Montreal.

Steve Bernier is a top rated prospect and will be an impact player next year. I am glad you would rather get nothing for souray because thats exactly what we got for him and the cycle of having zero franchise players in Montreal continues. Long live mediocrity!

Kovalev can flap his mouth all he likes, the most over paid over rated player on the team is getting out played by 2nd year rookies! :lol:

And comparing Roy and Dryden to Halak shows your level of intelligence and the nonsense you have been spouting since you came on these boards.

Turn down the heat on you attacks please.

A lot of people need too do just that.....

there are a ton of ignorant personal remarks/attacks that being tossed around here lately.

Some people need to take a giant chill pill - there's no need for some of the comments being made here.

About players, managers or fellow posters. Show some class people - a good debate has no need to degenerate into a series of childish comments.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: