"Blow It All Up" say Jack Todd

kaos

Those trade ideas are nice but KNOW ONE will take the Habs high priced garbage. Who in there right minds would trade for samsonov, Kovalev?

The more i watch this team the more i beleive they shouldn't resign any free agents. Just the restricted. Put Koivu between Kovalev and Samsonov so there play doesn' infect the 9 other forwards.

Sorry to disagree, but yes they should be trading for youth and picks, that's how you turnover a roster. The simply need new hungry blood instead of the trading and replacing fringe players saying we are a few players away. They are not, they are like 15 players away.

Youth will atleast bring life back to the orginazation. I would much rather see youth play hard, make mistakes and lose then the crap put on the ice this year. They don't have any heart, pride or talent.

I think what he's saying is that a team with only youth won't win, just like a team with only vets won't win. You need a balance to go far. We should really re-signing Bonk, Johnson, Markov & Souray and then even though I like them, it may be the time to turn the page on Kovalev & Samsonov. Koivu should stay until he retires with Plekanec or Grabovski gradually taking over his role.

I would like to point something out: we are rebuilding. We have been rebuilding (properly, not half-assed) since Gainey took over. We should see good to great results in the next 2-3 years. Expecting anything more would be wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

The guys who Todd wants to get rid of, aside from Koivu, are all filling holes until our young-uns are able to take full time rolls.

half ass rebuilding. todd means real re-building, i.e. ###### the playoffs for a year or two.

i love gainey. love him. but what he has done is no different than what has been done for the last 10 years. he was unwilling to truly sacrifice for the future. im proud of him for believing in his team and not dealing souray, but this team did not derserve the loyalty gainey gave them.

half ass rebuilding. todd means real re-building, i.e. ###### the playoffs for a year or two.

i love gainey. love him. but what he has done is no different than what has been done for the last 10 years. he was unwilling to truly sacrifice for the future. im proud of him for believing in his team and not dealing souray, but this team did not derserve the loyalty gainey gave them.

I thin that you'd agree that re-building takes time. Well, look at our minors, and you will see some true talent for the first time in years. Give that talent 2-3 years and we will have a VERY good team. Gainey hasn't been given enough time yet ... I have faith in his process ultimately. By the time Price makes it with the big club, we will have a very good team.

The half-assed rebuilding I was talking about was under the Rejen Houle years. Firesale/rebuilding.

I thin that you'd agree that re-building takes time. Well, look at our minors, and you will see some true talent for the first time in years. Give that talent 2-3 years and we will have a VERY good team. Gainey hasn't been given enough time yet ... I have faith in his process ultimately. By the time Price makes it with the big club, we will have a very good team.

The half-assed rebuilding I was talking about was under the Rejen Houle years. Firesale/rebuilding.

don't disagree. i was glad that gainey didnt sell any youth to buy someone for a playoff push - but frankly, how difficulet a decision was that? we were fighting for 8th at the time, our goalie was gone for the seaon, our backup was playing like shit and we were praying for a miracle from an AHL rookie. too easy to critisize in hindsight, but i think keeping souray is the non - move he might regret had he had the opportunity to do things over.

the "lets move sammy and kovy" posts are BS. wake up folks, we are stuck with them for another year.

the "lets move sammy and kovy" posts are BS. wake up folks, we are stuck with them for another year.

What about buying them out?

And the Souray non-move is likely to haunt us, yes. But you never know, maybe he'll sign with us.

Is it just me or did we start this slid around the time when Gainey lost his daughter? Maybe Gainey shouldve taken a longer break? Maybe the players have been shattered by that as well.

Well I doubt that was the only reason the Habs skid started but I am sure it had some affect on the team. Gainey is a pro though and I doubt he would come back before he was ready.

Uh, ok there. How do you know what Gainey offered Shanahan?

You can't criticize other people for making assumptions if you make the same ones.

That was confirmed a looooong time ago... :huh:

Yeah Todd has compelling arguments but am I the only one getting tired of a building phase that seems to never end?

It isn't like rebuilding is a gaurantee or anything.

A team can't say "Ok, in 5 years we will bring up all our draft picks and (they will undoubtedly all be superstars) we can start a new dynasty"

...unless your the penguins and can sit at the bottom of the league for 6-8 years.

Rebuilding is a concept people!

Will mr Gainey continue to work as he did so far like most other GMs of the league,......which is to try to bring in the most appropriate elements filling the most urgent needs of the team......while at the same time doing it in a way that is the least compromising to the team's futur ?

Adding without substracting is the way to go........IF........the GMs are happy with their present pieces.

The problem with our present pieces is that they have failled to be as competitive a they have been during the previous two seasons. There is a regression,....this will be a big factor and influence how Gainey will proceed during the next upcoming inter-season........our scenario this time is not simple and will complexified post-season decisions and moves in way it asn't been the case lately..........the hight number of UFA within our team, the question mark related to our core players or coaching, the never ending difficultys to attrack willing UFA,.........moving from this season to the next one without dropping a little further in the standing next year seems to me an almost impossible task to accomplish........a costly transition seems to be unavoidable...

.....yet all things could fall the right way....with a little luck.

Edited by PB

There is always a lot of talk about getting rid of veteran players for prospects/picks. I think Gainey knows what he's doing in keeping the balance reasonable, as mentioned by BTH. The forum seems to routinely overrate the impact that prospects can make - even in the long term. Back in Houle's day, I'm sure many Habs fans had high hopes for the prospects that were in the system... and we know how many of them worked out. Fact is, we can't be guaranteed that our present farm is going to turn out much better.

In that sense, I disagree with Todd. We're already in the midst of a rebuilding campaign, and yes, this year was a big setback, but it wasn't meant to be the culmination of the campaign anyway. Incremental change and keeping some proven performers on the club is necessary while waiting to see if the fruits of our recent draft succeed is the way to go.

There is always a lot of talk about getting rid of veteran players for prospects/picks. I think Gainey knows what he's doing in keeping the balance reasonable, as mentioned by BTH. The forum seems to routinely overrate the impact that prospects can make - even in the long term. Back in Houle's day, I'm sure many Habs fans had high hopes for the prospects that were in the system... and we know how many of them worked out. Fact is, we can't be guaranteed that our present farm is going to turn out much better.

In that sense, I disagree with Todd. We're already in the midst of a rebuilding campaign, and yes, this year was a big setback, but it wasn't meant to be the culmination of the campaign anyway. Incremental change and keeping some proven performers on the club is necessary while waiting to see if the fruits of our recent draft succeed is the way to go.

Most of the people who wanted to deal Souray do realize that it is a rebuilding campaign, which is why they are upset that Souray was not dealt. If you know this year means nothing why keep him? You can't have your cake and eat it to. It is a very passive move and the fans are getting frustrated.

The difference between now and Houle's day is that this has been a rebuild for 6-7 years with 2 very good talent evaluators in charge and we have watched various reports that say the Habs have a top 5 farm system. Hoping Houle's picks would develop is much different than hoping Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins picks will. Will they? We better hope they develop or we will be telling our kids what it was like to win a Stanley Cup, not enjoying it with them.

Boy, I read the title of this thread and I thought Todd meant blow the MEDIA all up, not the Habs. Agree with the former, not the latter.