Remember Jack 'Eject the Core' Todd?

Oh, it turns out it was just the flu.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...2b0&k=54932

That's sports journalism for you - no accountability whatsoever. Two weeks ago he's declaring the whole team a disaster that should be systematically dismantled. Now he's saying that if it hadn't been for the devastating flu bug that hit the whole team in Janurary, they'd be in the upper echelons of the conference standings. Does he admit any change of heart, or that he was wrong to argue for blowing up the whole team? Of course not.

Jackass.

This guy is a complete failure. Doesnt have a clue about hockey nor any otehr sport beyond what he learns watching and listening to the commentators. He is also a crap writer BLAHHHH CAPS LOCK SO COOL. And to top it off, is a huge jackass to people as well. He is a waste of oxygen.

Edited by Dirty Harry

This guy is a complete failure. Doesnt have a clue about hockey nor any otehr sport beyond what he learns watching and listening to the commentators. He is also a crap writer BLAHHHH CAPS LOCK SO COOL. And to top it off, is a huge jackass to people as well. He is a waste of oxygen.

Who ??? :angry:

Who ??? :angry:

Jack Todd - the guy referenced in the first post, for whom the thread is named. The guy whose article is linked to.

He is a gazette sports columnists who has evoked a variety of responses from the HW population.

Edited by simonus

It's not just Todd, though. Very few media commentators are held accountable for their opinions, which tend to fluctuate from week to week or season to season, without any explanation or apology. Thus, players that a commentator reviles on week become presented as obvious stars the next week, etc.. It would drive me crazy if I weren't so used to it. But in this case it's especially egregious, because the 'destroy the core' argument was presented as a major *statement* at a crucial moment in the season: Jack Todd Issues His Verdict on This Edition of the Habs.

And then two weeks later he'd COMPLETELY contradicting that? Come ON.

That's sports journalism for you - no accountability whatsoever. Two weeks ago he's declaring the whole team a disaster that should be systematically dismantled. Now he's saying that if it hadn't been for the devastating flu bug that hit the whole team in Janurary, they'd be in the upper echelons of the conference standings. Does he admit any change of heart, or that he was wrong to argue for blowing up the whole team? Of course not.

Jackass.

Actually, if you want accountability, you have to go down to the last line, and you'll find it ... pretty bluntly :

"But as I watched the young turks - Plekanec, Higgins, Jaroslav Halak, Maxim Lapierre, Andrei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse - lead the Canadiens to that stirring come-from-behind victory over Boston Thursday, I couldn't help wonder where this team would be today if not for the flu.

This much is certain: They wouldn't be battling the Hurricanes, Islanders and Leafs for a playoff spot."

ie, without the Flu, the habs would be out of playoffs because the replacement are better than the "core".

Then you have sites like sportsnet.....who don't even offer the "author's" name to the article...

Goalie controversy brewing for Habs

And what controversy? Halak is hot, Abby isn't and Huet's working his way back......I don't see a problem here.

These guys get paid to stir thinks up, and that's exactly what they do.....

But I do believe we'll have to change up a couple of our "core' guys...OR give the rookies time to develop, and see what they bring to the table.

Jackass.

that's journalism as a whole... period... lots of built-in irresponsibility...

if i get on my soapbox, i'll start spewing about the state of much of modern journalism... today's 'news' presentation is likely as much about entertainment as it is about information... it's about eye and ear and brain candy... it's about sales, market shares, stockholders, etc... journalism is biased, over-editorialized, sensationalized, etc...

i'd love to see an example of a consistently responsible journalism... one that informs, one that takes its role of keeping an eye on what's going on seriously and simply lets us know what's going...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Looks like he's been paying attention.

"A couple of weeks ago, following that Sergei Samsonov lowlight in Atlanta, I wrote that it was time to blow up the Canadiens and start over with the youngsters. Truth is, the process was already under way.

So far, so good."

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...837&k=88964

that's journalism as a whole... period... lots of built-in irresponsibility...

if i get on my soapbox, i'll start spewing about the state of much of modern journalism... today's 'news' presentation is likely as much about entertainment as it is about information... it's about eye and ear and brain candy... it's about sales, market shares, stockholders, etc... journalism is biased, over-editorialized, sensationalized, etc...

i'd love to see an example of a consistently responsible journalism... one that informs, one that takes its role of keeping an eye on what's going on seriously and simply lets us know what's going...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I don't know that I would call Damien Cox a pillar of "consistently responsible journalism" but he gives a very cogent and informative summary of the habs on espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2808340

He referenced that article in this morning's article. Gord showed the quote.

What he's saying is that he's still behind what he said. The young guys are rising up and replacing the core of this team and that pretty soon, the veterans we have will become expendable.

Most people agree with his opinions (lots of fans wanted to blow up the core: Chris, I think Nilan, etc..) I think they just don't like his style of writing. Or, in The Chicoutimi Cucumber's case, the way he keeps changing his mind.

II still think the core needs to be blown up. I don't know or even read jack Todd but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Lets look at the facts.

The core, vets etc have NEVER been more then an 8 seed

They have went threw 4 coaches, no change in performance.

They are in the bottom 5 in every category besides PP and Short handed goals.

They have been to the 2nd round twice int he last 6 years (only reason was goaltending).

They don't play hard, too small and soft.

This year with the emergence of the young players they have basically rendered themselves useless.

So yes they need to blow up the core but it won't be that easy. Contracts of Koivu, Kovalev, Dandy and Bouillon may be very difficult to move. No reason to resignRyder or Souray. Markov has to stay. I would let all the other UFA's go, resign Johnson. Spend the money on2 UFA dmen.

Lats Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Pleks Kosty

Torres type player Chipchura Johnson

Begin Lapierre Streit / Boogard

Markov Hannon

Komi Timonin

Gorges Dandy

Huet Halak

Younger, bigger, faster.

He referenced that article in this morning's article. Gord showed the quote.

What he's saying is that he's still behind what he said. The young guys are rising up and replacing the core of this team and that pretty soon, the veterans we have will become expendable.

Most people agree with his opinions (lots of fans wanted to blow up the core: Chris, I think Nilan, etc..) I think they just don't like his style of writing. Or, in The Chicoutimi Cucumber's case, the way he keeps changing his mind.

Agreed BTH, I actually think he did own up to to what he said last time, the difference is that he admitted this time that the core is in the process of being "blown up", i.e, though they're still here, they aren't being treated as the core, because the younger, harder working bunch is getting a chance to play in all the difficult, game breaking roles... As Chris said, it's not actually going to be easy to get rid of most of these guys with their contracts, etc., so really changing who's on the team will take a few years, but changing who gets most of the playing time can happen right away...

I never understood what "core" people are referencing to. That's been the problem in Montreal for the last 10+ years, we have never even had a core. We've had Saku Koivu, Patrice Brisebois, and a bunch of temporary fillers over the years that have included Petrov, Savage, Zednik, Quintal, Malakhov, ... all of whom have failed to become good, reliable players that would have allowed us to form anything ressembling a core.

Thankfully this is starting to change thanks to the incredible efforts of Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins, who have drafted a lot if quality prospects that is now allowing us to start building a decent core. If Gainey could only start doing his job, and acquire the missing elements to complete a strong core on which we could ride for the next 10 years, the Habs will finally become a respectable organization once again.

They are in the bottom 5 in every category besides PP and Short handed goals.
They are fifth in Win % after trailing through 1 period (behind Tampa, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta) and tied for fifth with Buffalo in Win % when trailing through 2 periods (behind Detroit, Tampa, Dallas).. and we have double the amount of wins under those circumstances than Buffalo.

They are fifth in Win % after trailing through 1 period (behind Tampa, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta) and tied for fifth with Buffalo in Win % when trailing through 2 periods (behind Detroit, Tampa, Dallas).. and we have double the amount of wins under those circumstances than Buffalo.

In other words:

1- We don't play good hockey for 60 minutes every game

2- We use a defensive system that is not appropriate for our players, but when we have no choice but to open up the game, we can score goals as well as any other team in the NHL.

he's not that much of a flip flopper. Originally he said to dissemble the core. now he praises the young guns for our wins

In other words:

1- We don't play good hockey for 60 minutes every game

2- We use a defensive system that is not appropriate for our players, but when we have no choice but to open up the game, we can score goals as well as any other team in the NHL.

that's about it. If you watch our games against Buffalo, our best hockey is when we are running and gunning.

that's about it. If you watch our games against Buffalo, our best hockey is when we are running and gunning.

I can only question Carbo's perspicacity vis a vis his roster and the newNHL.........I feel we had better

players than they have managed to show us all season under his coaching.....I am anthousiastic about our futur but not about him being a part of it.......as we all know playing hochey is one thing and coaching is another.

I agree that Carbo's debut has been a bit of a clunker, but he was an extremely intelligent player, has assistant coaching experience, and is Master Coach Gainey's protegé. He's got all the credentials, so logic says that he will adapt.