Final marks for prospects who are done for the year

bobby

1. Pavel Valentenko - Russian blueliner was the first habs prospect to finish his hockey season, as his RSL club team was eliminated in the first round. Pavel played the whole season in the top European league as an 18/19 year old which is a significant accomplishment. He only scored a couple of points, but that was more than Kostitsyn or Grabovski did in the same league at the same age. He was really good at the WJC for a first time participant, and like Alexei Emelin a year earlier, the outstanding Russian player against Team Canada in the Gold Medal game. As a fifth round draft pick, he certainly outplayed a lot of higher rated defensemen at the Tournament, including several first round picks.

2. Cameron Cepek - Likable Californian suffered through a season from hell, which mercifully came to an end when the WHL regular season finished. He missed significant time again in his third WHL season, which is probably not a surprise in light of his size and the style he plays. This time it was a jaw/concussion injury, and Cepek was noticably more subdued in his play when he returned. If there is a positive to be drawn from the season for Cam, it may have made him concentrate more on his skill and positioning as a defenseman, as opposed to the more physical style he played prior to the injury. As a seventh round draft pick, he is a longshot to make the NHL in any event, and was not able to show any sign of beating the odds so far.

3. Alexei Emelin - Tough year for Alexei after such a promising 2005-2006 season. He was hurt as well, and it cost him a fair portion of the RSL season along with a place he had secured with the Russian National Team a year earlier. There is some possibility that he could suit up for the National Team yet this year, but it doesn't seem to be a strong one. As well, his club team which had such a Cinderella season a year ago, was merely average this year, and didn't progress beyond the first round of the playoffs. He remains a good bet to come to North America within the next couple of years, particularly with the Canadien's defense in upheaval.

4. Philippe Paquet - Really established himself in the NCAA in his sophomore season, and was showing some signs of breaking out offensively late in the year. Unfortunately the Golden Knights dream's of a Frozen Four appearance ended abruptly with a 1-0 overtime loss in the elimination round. Next year looks like it could be a breakout year for Paquet, he has established his defensive game and will be allowed to open up offensively, with some graduations on the blueline. All in all, he looks like a great prospect for a 7th round pick, and may turn pro as soon as the end of next season.

5. David Fischer - Golden Gophers suffered the same sudden death fate as the Golden Knights, a week later. Fischer's first collegiate season was underwhelming for a first round draft pick, but he made a huge jump from high school hockey and seemed to be feeling his way along for the most part. To his credit he maintained his spot in the lineup and adapted his game to suit the role he was given. Next season figures to be much more telling as far as the lanky blueliner is concerned. The Gophers figure to lose two or three of their top defensemen with Mike Vanelli graduating, and Erik Johnson and Alex Goligoski likely to turn pro early. That will put David in the top three on the Gopher's blueline. So far, like Cepek, Fischer gets a deferral in grading, albeit for a different reason.

A point of interest as far as these 5 prospects are concerned is that 4 of them are very intense, physical blueliners. Fischer probably has the capacity to play that way as well. It may be an indication of what to look for in the 2007 draft. I think that Gainey and Carbonneau are going to focus on intensity and physical play in their top draft picks as the primary consideration.

6. Juraj Mikus - Solidly built Slovakian winger started the year slowly in his introduction to North America, but really picked up the pace as the season went on. He scored at nearly twice the rate in the second half of the season as he did in the first with Chicoutimi, and ended up with 71 points in 60 games. The team got better as the year went on as well, but were dispatched 4 straight in the playoffs. Mikus was the outstanding player for Slovakia at the WJC, and ended up tied for the tournament lead in goals scored. He projects as a solid two way winger in the pros, and seems mature enough to realize the role he will have to play. All of his tools are good, but none are great. Still I think there is a lot more upside in Mikus that will emerge once he turns pro, similar to his countryman Jaroslav Halak. His biggest obstacle may be the plethora of natural right wingers in the team's system, with players like Perezhogin, Latendresse, the Kostitsyn brothers, D'Agostini, Milroy, Ferland, and possibly Mathieu Aubin and Ryan White ahead of him on the depth chart. Some of them can play other positions, but I think at some point they will all end up at RW.

Mikus is the first of the team's prospects this year to be in a likely position to sign a contract and continue his season as a pro.

I would say Valentenko had a good year better then I expected. Emelin got high praise from the National team coach this year when he played at Euro Cup but he failed to put up the numbers he did last year.

I really like the improvement Fischer made from the start of the year to the end but hope to see him pick up the offense next year since Eric Johnson is likely gone. Paquet improved and looked good in the playoffs, I'd like to see him cut down on the pims next year. Big boy for sure though and he's still really young.

J T Wyman ended up having a career year and was likely Dartmouth's best player in the playoffs, 2 game winners to sweep Princeton and then he tied the game up against Clarkson late in the game but they couldn't hold on. He's big and strong, skates well with good speed and solid at both ends. But he's got his work cut out for him as we are deep at RW. The fact that he played defense and did well is interesting but at this point I assume they keep him at forward.

Cepek clearly had a tough year, I only saw him play once against Everett and he played well but really needs to add some weight, he looked skinny and got hit hard a couple times. That said he skates well with good speed and seems to like the physical play.

Mikus I thought he did well this year, whenever I saw him play I found him to be a bit soft but I like how he moves the puck and was surprised to see him score so many goals at the wjc's. I didnt' see him in the playoffs but 2 points isn't all that good, that said the Sags aren't very good imo and Val'd-Or certainly is. Will be interesting to see him in the pros next year.

I would think the Habs might sign him this year and give him some games in the ECHL or AHL. He could probably play another 15 or 20 games this year. He probably gets a little extra edge for being a young Slovak to potentially keep Halak company.

I would think the Habs might sign him this year and give him some games in the ECHL or AHL. He could probably play another 15 or 20 games this year. He probably gets a little extra edge for being a young Slovak to potentially keep Halak company.

I would like to see him in Hamilton or Cincy. Hamilton has 10 games left before the playoffs, but I don't know if he would see much time although Milroy is out a week and Ferland might be out too. If not just call up Aubin and send Mikus to the ECHL where they are set to make the playoffs as well. I guess we'll see if Mikus is signed within the week or so.

Forgot about J.T. Wyman. Collegiate players are a little harder to project. They seem to have breakout seasons at different points of their career. Wyman showed some signs late in the year, but I think he has to do that for a whole season if he wants to sign a pro contract. Has to have a huge year next year.

interesting info... especially about the two russians the the two collegiate players...

good to be informed as to the status of the 'frozen four' tournament and where our players are in that whole competition...

not too worried about emelin or valentenko...

it seems that cepek will be the longest shot of the gang... but then, ryder's playing with the team and somewhat successfully too...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Forgot about J.T. Wyman. Collegiate players are a little harder to project. They seem to have breakout seasons at different points of their career. Wyman showed some signs late in the year, but I think he has to do that for a whole season if he wants to sign a pro contract. Has to have a huge year next year.

I think he will get a contract from us cause he can do more then just score, he can play on the bottom lines cause he's big and strong but has good speed, he's good along the boards and drives to the net. Plus he's a smart player that is good in his own end. I am concerned about his offensive upside and the depth at RW but he has years still since if he goes back to Dartmouth, which I assume he will cause I believe he said at the draft that he wanted to stay in school and get a degree, but if he goes back, then he'll have one year in the ncaa and then he'll get his 2-3-4 years in the ahl to see what he can do. He might never be a full timer for us but I think he can be a solid AHLer and a possible depth winger with the hope that he can progress even more.

Yeah, considering the fact that Wyman played some defense, he seems like the type who could become a strong defensive forward. To be fair, he was a true freshman out of high school, like Fischer, and his first year production as a forward wasn't any worse, comparatively speaking. But he still has to have that breakout season at the collegiate level. If he can average over a point per game next season with Dartmouth, then I'm sure he will get a contract offer.

Wyman did average over a point per game in the last half of this season, and was probably Dartmouth's most dangerous player over that time. Teammate David Jones won Ivy League Player of the Year award and is a Hobey Baker finalist. But Jones is a couple of year older.

But he looks like another collegiate steal for the Avalanche as a 9th round pick.

Carey Price - Some of the luster is off Price after 3 consecutive seasons bowing out in the first round of the playoffs. The Americans probably had a better team than Seattle this year as well. Price's junior career has been a lot like Kyle Chipchura's, underwhelming, except for their WJC appearance. But Kyle seems to be doing fairly well as a pro, and hopefully the same will hold true for Price. But I don't think he is as good a prospect as Jaroslav Halak.

Carey Price - Some of the luster is off Price after 3 consecutive seasons bowing out in the first round of the playoffs. The Americans probably had a better team than Seattle this year as well. Price's junior career has been a lot like Kyle Chipchura's, underwhelming, except for their WJC appearance. But Kyle seems to be doing fairly well as a pro, and hopefully the same will hold true for Price. But I don't think he is as good a prospect as Jaroslav Halak.

Was he supposed to provide offensive support too?

Don't get me wrong, a good goalie is vital to any playoff push, but he's only one player, thus, he can only do so much. And how do we know it was his fault? Perhaps the rest of the team cracked under the pressure, not him. But Jesus, the kid isn't even 20 yet.

It isn't just this last game. Price has been something less than heroic through the last two years of his junior career, other than the WJC. But Canadian goalies nearly always look good there. He couldn't stop a much in the shootout with the U.S. if you recall. Fortunately Frazee was worse.

It isn't just this last game. Price has been something less than heroic through the last two years of his junior career, other than the WJC. But Canadian goalies nearly always look good there. He couldn't stop a much in the shootout with the U.S. if you recall. Fortunately Frazee was worse.

I recall him being rather impressive at training camp.

I have no idea what he did at training camp, but that isn't a great measuring stick. The young players always look better there, because they are all pumped up and trying to prove themselves, while the older players are just trying to work out the rust and get back in shape.

The young players always look better there, because they are all pumped up and trying to prove themselves, while the older players are just trying to work out the rust and get back in shape.

This is very very true.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread welcomes Mathieu Carle... :( The underdog Rouyn-Noranda Huskies exceeded expectations by winning two playoff rounds, but they came up empty agains Jonathan Bernier and the Lewiston Mainiacs. Mathieu was good in the final game by the looks of it, he had two points on just 3 R-N goals in the game and led the team with 6 shots. Overall he finishes with 16 points in 16 games in the post season, the third or fourth highest scoring defenseman for the playoffs. I never get a chance to watch Carle play, but I am encouraged that he seemed to bounce back from a mid season slump and the trade that brought him to the Huskies. I'm also encouraged by the way some of his fellow defense prospects from the Q have performed, especially M-E Vlasic in San Jose. Kris Letang, Luc Bourdon, Sebastien Bisaillon, Keith Yandle, are other Q defenders who have played in the NHL at 19 or (barely) 20 years of age. Carle is very similar to these players in style and accomplishment. He was rated ahead of all of them except Bourdon coming into junior.

Barely having seen him play, I like the fact that he led most of the skills tests at the Prospects Game among defensemen. He was the overall best skater there among defensemen and had one of the hardest shots as well. His passing and offensive sense seem top rate, and are the two qualities most often remarked upon in any assessment of him. Size is not an asset necessarily, but it should not be an issue, either. At 6-0 or 6-1, he has the naturally stocky build to play at around 225 or 230 pounds. So, what's not to like?.... :)

Thanks for the report bobby I never saw him play this year but I did catch a few of his games last season. Just another prospect to get excited about.

this guy will be a great d man in mtl. he has pp written all over him.

Medicine Hat beat Calgary last night to take a 3-1 series lead, so it looks very unlikely that any Habs prospects will be at the Memorial Cup this year. If Calgary does the improbable and wins 3 straight against quite possibly the best team in the WHL, then they would in all likelihood guarantee themselves a MC berth with Vancouver up 3-1 over Prince George and Vancouver being the host team this year.

So it looks like we'll be closing the book on our major junior prospects this week. However, Carle and S Kostitsyn will likely join Hamilton's playoff drive.

So it looks like we'll be closing the book on our major junior prospects this week. However, Carle and S Kostitsyn will likely join Hamilton's playoff drive.

can they still do that ??

maybe they could join cincinati, they have a good team, there.