Dear Mr. Samsonov

beliveau1

Dear Mr. Samsonov

Please attend the following lecture series this summer.

Attendance is compulsory.

Course: Ethics of Team Discipline 101

Course Outline: the Code of Ethics When Benched - 5 easy steps to handling a benching

1/ protocol for accepting management decisions

2/ ethics of behaviour with fellow teammates & fans

3/ media diplomacy - saying the right things to the media

4/ Player Agent role - not involving agent as your spokesman

5/ 10 Easy Steps to redeem your worth - proving management wrong

Professor at Large: Saku Koivu

Guest Lecturers: Jean Beliveau - Class & Dignity

Scotty Bowman - Coaching Psychology & Cruelty

Dick Irvin Jr. - the History of Discipline in Montreal

Peter Mahovlich - Paying the Fines for Having Fun in the NHL

Mandatory Course Reading: Lion's in Winter; Ken Dryden's 'The Game'; all books on Jean Beliveau, Toe Blake, Al Arbour, Fred Shero & Dick Irvin Sr.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsonov who's that?

:)

yeah - you might remember him? He was the one who was whining when he had to wear the 4th line jersey in practise while some upstart young rookie took his line colour. I'm just wondering if he'd prefer the 4th line colours to the Black ones they give to the taxi squad?

yeah - you might remember him? He was the one who was whining when he had to wear the 4th line jersey in practise while some upstart young rookie took his line colour. I'm just wondering if he'd prefer the 4th line colours to the Black ones they give to the taxi squad?

Oh that guy.

Have the habs not won a ton of games since he has been scratched.

I am actually upset that Samsonov had to have such a bad falling out. I wish he was leading the team in scoring right now becuase that Canadiens would be that much tougher to play against and defend.

Mariusz Czerkawski?

Mariusz Czerkawski?

good one :lol::lol:

Oh that guy.

Have the habs not won a ton of games since he has been scratched.

I am actually upset that Samsonov had to have such a bad falling out. I wish he was leading the team in scoring right now becuase that Canadiens would be that much tougher to play against and defend.

yeah - sad but true.

Still should take a course from Professor Koivu though!

read in the hockey news that o'neill was scratched a few games. he said 2 sure i'm pissed but I'm not going to pull a samsonov" :lol:

I was a supporter of the guy, I liked his skills and moves and thought he could really start lighting it up with the right linemates. But not anymore, he has shown himself to be a complete douchebag.

If he really wanted to play he could've issued a public apology, instead I guess he's more content to sulk and collect his 3.5 mill paycheck. Screw him, I hope he is blacklisted from the NHL and loses his money to gambling or some other idiotic vice.

I do not think this is fair and balanced criticism.

First off, Carbo is really responsible for this disaster. He castigated Samsonov after 4 games. Sammy had just had a kid and was obviously distracted. Carbo almost never played him on the powerplay. He stuck Samsonov with Kovalev almost all season. Anyone with half a brain would have realized that their playing styles did not mesh. It didn't have to take 40 games to realize this. Finally he started to lift his game when put on the Bonk line. He played a great game in Nashville when they won. The very next game or the game after he was benched???

Second, no one has ever complained about Sammy before. He was on a Stanley Cup finalist last year. And where are the Oilers this year without him. One could even ask where were the Oilers last year without him. Second, Samsonov outplayed Joe Thornton for almost 4 years before Thornton started to mature with the Bruins. The Bruins fans still think highly of him.

So what happened??? I think what was as bad as Sammy and Kovy not meshing was Sammy and Carbo. Finally, in the second half his attitude started deteriorating. His play right before the final benching was gruesome. So Sammy quit on the team after being provoked all year by Carbo.

You should also add a mandatory movie to the curriculum

Maurice_Richard_(film)_poster.jpg

Good call on Koivu being the professor.

Carbo shortened Koivu's time (the captain AND points leader) in a must win game (that he scored the winner in) and what did he do?

Did he whine? No

Did he cry? No

Did he threaten to leave? No

He went out the next game, played hard, and scored the games only 2 goals.

Cant believe people wanna trade this guy. Once again he has proven he would be a 90 pt guy if he EVER played with another star

Good call on Koivu being the professor.

Carbo shortened Koivu's time (the captain AND points leader) in a must win game (that he scored the winner in) and what did he do?

Did he whine? No

Did he cry? No

Did he threaten to leave? No

He went out the next game, played hard, and scored the games only 2 goals.

Cant believe people wanna trade this guy. Once again he has proven he would be a 90 pt guy if he EVER played with another star

He left without talking to reporters even though he scored the winner. Koivu apparently always talks to the media. So his leaving was clearly a sign of whining that le journal de montreal picked up on Monday. Koivu is no saint. He was fairly benched on Saturday because of his poor performance on Friday. My qualm is that Sammy was sometimes unfairly benched.

Koivu is a competitor and sure he was pissed he did not play. He is not paid to talk to the media, and it is better to say nothing at all rather than bash your teammates or coach.

Who cares if he did not talk to the media in Montreal they cause enough shit as it is. Also Koivu has not spoken to the media before.

Koivu is a competitor and sure he was pissed he did not play. He is not paid to talk to the media, and it is better to say nothing at all rather than bash your teammates or coach.

Who cares if he did not talk to the media in Montreal they cause enough shit as it is. Also Koivu has not spoken to the media before.

So apparently when Sammy is pissed it's because he is not a competitor? Carbo has bashed Sammy repetitively in the media all year. Sammy says one thing and Carbo explodes like a spoiled brat.

So apparently when Sammy is pissed it's because he is not a competitor? Carbo has bashed Sammy repetitively in the media all year. Sammy says one thing and Carbo explodes like a spoiled brat.

Blah, blah, blah, blah f*&^ing blah..

What has Sammy done on the ice..nothing. What has he done off the ice...BITCH

You can say the exact opposite for Koivu

First off, Carbo is really responsible for this disaster. He castigated Samsonov after 4 games. Sammy had just had a kid and was obviously distracted. Carbo almost never played him on the powerplay. He stuck Samsonov with Kovalev almost all season. Anyone with half a brain would have realized that their playing styles did not mesh. It didn't have to take 40 games to realize this. Finally he started to lift his game when put on the Bonk line. He played a great game in Nashville when they won. The very next game or the game after he was benched???

Second, no one has ever complained about Sammy before. He was on a Stanley Cup finalist last year. And where are the Oilers this year without him. One could even ask where were the Oilers last year without him. Second, Samsonov outplayed Joe Thornton for almost 4 years before Thornton started to mature with the Bruins. The Bruins fans still think highly of him.

So what happened??? I think what was as bad as Sammy and Kovy not meshing was Sammy and Carbo. Finally, in the second half his attitude started deteriorating. His play right before the final benching was gruesome. So Sammy quit on the team after being provoked all year by Carbo.

I completely agree with this but it in no way excuses what Sergei did.

Samsonov was completely out of line for a pro being paid big bucks when he whined in public like that. He really blew it.

Guys like Kovalev and Koivu have been under a lot of pressure too, and they've handled it like pros, Samsonov disgraced himself.

Not to be rude, but this post just misses the point completely. Say for example, I'm p****d off because my boss is a jerk. If I then take out a full page add in the local paper saying so and detailing what a mistake I made joining the company etcetera how long do you think I would remain employed? I somehow do not think I would be sent home with full pay. If Samsonov was unhappy he should have kept his mouth shut and done his job better. The proof is in the pudding... NOT one team was willing to take a chance on him when he was put on waivers... the team is winnining without him.

Bottom line: this is ALL on Samsonov because he kept whinning in the press. He blew his chance for redemption in MTL. The coach's job is to win--not make the individual player's happy. Koivu understands that; Rivet understood that; Nininema understands that....

Bottom line: this is ALL on Samsonov because he kept whinning in the press. He blew his chance for redemption in MTL. The coach's job is to win--not make the individual player's happy. Koivu understands that; Rivet understood that; Nininema understands that....

I agree. And Carbo was doing his job for the first half of the season, because the team was winning. Disrupting other lines that were working well just to make Samsonov happy wouldn't necessarily have led to a positive result for the team, and wouldn't have made Sammy more effective (as later line-juggling proved).

It seems that some people here are missing the point of 'the course' - Samsonov acted in a manner that goes against the code; the accepted method for taking a benching. That is an undisputable fact! Handling team discipline which has been going on since who knows when, well that was what the original post was all about. It was just a spoof.....

Whether or not Carbonneau did the wrong thing - the fact still remains that Samsonov should have kept his yap shut. Koivu handled it in the proper way, even though he didn't like it either. The difference between the two reactions is like night & day! Samsonov did nothing for his case when he went to the media, again. Obviously he learned nothing from it the first time around? Koivu was diplomatic and then went out the next game and responded on the ice - and that is exactly the way to do it. Samsonov has done nothing that matches that = enough said!

For those who have a problem with Carbonneaus handling of this, it's time to leave that pulpit. He made mistakes like any other rookie coach does! He seems to be learning from them. Team discipline and line decisions are a reality. Not all are going to be easy and many won't be popular, but the player has to suck it up sometimes and take it on the chin for the team.

As for the Richard movie - that was sort of implied by the course reading material section?

p.s. I wonder what cruel games Bowman might have inflicted if he'd had some of these guys????? :lol:

I know first we gotta to make the series WITH the players that brought us there but i just want to bring a upside to this downhill thread on the Samsonov case.

Having Samsonov Murray and Perezhogin as depth players for series.

Who can say in the top 8 teams got 2 quality forwards like that ?? Nobody.

Samsonov can change the curse of a game just by skating throught. With the speed he has and defense wore down he could be a very dangerous weapon if we need him.

Perezhogin can take over third-fourth line duties with experience and good two way plays.

Murray has been all year long decieving offensively but he is effective when he uses his body.