Game Thread | Toronto vs Montreal | FINAL SHOWDOWN | 07/05/07

Cataclaw

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:?- :?- :?- :?-

I'm not going to blame Carbeau ; he is not supposed to be on the ice

He wasn't a bad rookie coach, and tried everything : hone the ego of his "stars", trying different lines to please Mr Kovalev, he was patient with Abby and Samsonov ; on top of that, how many times did he warn his players about stupid penalties : "guys, we have to avoud bad penalties, guys..." do they listen? not so sure

Carbo is supposed to have a game plan. What game plan did he have? The habs were outshot and outplayed in the first period. They had no system. The Leafs came out with a strategy. They forechecked, their defence chipped in. What was the habs system?

Tonight was not the first night Begin has taken stupid penalties. Carbo relied on the likes of Begin and Dandenault not because they were playing great but because they were french canadians. Who should have been benched in the third period Begin for that stupid reckless play or Kovalev?

Edited by Strummerman

Kovalev's being being fitted for cement boots as well. Funny though, Latendresse is untouchable.

Lats is a raw rookie. Blaming him would be ridiculous.

Kovy is a seasoned veteran with a self-proclaimed rep as a 'clutch perfomer.'

Who ya gonna blame?

Who should have been benched in the third period Begin for that stupid reckless play or Kovalev?

Why, Kovalev of course, by Carbonneau's logic. To heck with the fact that Begin's errant stick cost them the momentum and a goal, or that Begin can't score to save his life; Kovalev is a no-good Russian, and Begin is a good French lad.

:puke:

Carbonneau is a first-rate jackass as a coach.

Edited by sbhatt

Carbo is supposed to have a game plan. What game plan did he have? The habs were outshot and outplayed in the first period. They had no system. The Leafs came out with a strategy. They forechecked, their defence chipped in. What was the habs system?

Tonight was not the first night Begin has taken stupid penalties. Carbo relied on the likes of Begin and Dandenault not because they were playing great but because they were french canadians. Who should have been benched in the third period Begin for that stupid reckless play or Kovalev?

Maybe he made some mistakes tonight, but rookies do.

And let's not talk about just this game, because we shouldn't have been playing a do or die game to begin with ;

Carbo is not reponsible for the mess that started at the end of december

So, I do blame some guys that were on the ice first

Lats is a raw rookie. Blaming him would be ridiculous.

Kovy is a seasoned veteran with a self-proclaimed rep as a 'clutch perfomer.'

Who ya gonna blame?

You're absolutely right, I was just relaying what I heard on CKAC.

Maybe he made some mistakes tonight, but rookies do.

And let's not talk about just this game, because we shouldn't have been playing a do or die game to begin with ;

Carbo is not reponsible for the mess that started at the end of december

So, I do blame some guys that were on the ice first

I blame the guys on the ice but I also blame carbo for putting the wrong players on the ice and putting together lines that didn't work.

Souray wants to go to LA, where he can nail hot movie stars after every game.

Kovalev is probably already piloting a plane back to Russia as we speak with a giant grin on his face (yay, no more extra work!)

Markov already has a list of teams he'd rather be playing for written on the palm of his hand in marker.. he was probably reviewing the list during that Antropov goal.

hmm I bet Lindsay Lohan or Ho-han has him on speed dial. After all she has a thing for older canadians (Brian Adams)

Carbos head should be on a platter. This season's collapse was unbelievable. Carbo's gotta go...he coached this team out of the playoffs. Pat Burns is available...Pat Quinn (I know but anything is an improvement over this clown. C'mon Bob...hold Guy accountable. Montreal is to good a city not to have playoff hockey.

Carbos head should be on a platter. This season's collapse was unbelievable. Carbo's gotta go...he coached this team out of the playoffs. Pat Burns is available...Pat Quinn (I know but anything is an improvement over this clown. C'mon Bob...hold Guy accountable. Montreal is to good a city not to have playoff hockey.

Wow ; he is not alone ; some Habs players have seriously messed things up this season

-Whiny Samsonov

-Diva Kovalev

-Saku "I show up twice a month to get a standing ovation"

(Or Saku "I take stupid lazy selfish penalties" Koivu)

-Sheldon " I give a goal to the opponent for every goal I score" Souray

(Or Sheldon "my only motivation is to score PP goals to get a big contract" Souray)

-David " 6 holes" Aebischer

A SHAME !!!!

Edited by rafikz

Kovalev shouldn't be resigned. He didn't deserve the contract he signed, and he wasn't clutch. Not only that he coughed up the puck at a few critical moments. That is not what you expect from your veterans.

Also, Begin's double minor, compounded with Kovalev's error, and Johnsons and then Koivus penalties, really sunk our ship. We have a 5 minute melt down at the end of the second, and start of the third, and that was our last chance.

But lets not forget that the season should have been in the bag a long time ago. We were lucky to be even in a situation to still get in to the playoffs with the crap play of January, February ....

Anyway, future stilll looks bright IMO! Looking forward to next season ... I think that we have real possibilities next season. This season would have been bonus.

Jose Theodore was the superstar that pushed these average Montreal teams to the playoffs for over the last half decade.

Theodore was heavily overused, and now that he's been traded and is burned out in Colorado, the Habs see what life is like without an MVP Goalie.

The Habs are an average team at best. Theo was what made this team a playoff team over those years. He made them better than they seemed. The number of games he played at high levels was amazing, and unless he played perfect every game fans would still abuse him. Now, without him, the true results of this team's lack of talent shows through.

Anyways, I hope the Leafs don't make the playoffs. Maybe TSN can then pay attention to Canada's real athlete and sports team - Chris Bosh and The Raptors.

Edited by Ribeiro

UFA Dmen, I wouldn't mind (obviously some more than others)

Brad Stuart

Roman Hamrlik

Scott Hannan

Mathew Schneider

Danny Markov

Kimo Timmonen

Vitaly Visnevski

Chris Phillips

Tom Priessing

Brian Rafalski

That's my list, take your pick, I feel all on this list would upgrade our D immensely in our own zone.

To bad none of these guys would probably want to come to Montreal.

UFA forwards I would be interested in (obviously some more than others)

Joe Sakic

Teemu Selanne

Michael Handzus

Kirk Maltby

Paul Kariya

Peter Forsberg

Daniel Briere

Chris Drury

Scott Gomez

Ryan Smyth

Ray Whitney

That's it for that, A few others that could fill fourth line roles are out there too. But who knows what BG has in mind, I just hope it involves major changes

I doubt any of these guys would either. Maybe Briere as he is french. But remember Datsyuk just got almost $7 Million over 7 years. You wanna spend that kinda money on Briere?

Kovalev's being being fitted for cement boots as well. Funny though, Latendresse is untouchable.

Yeah thats right Latendresse didn't show up. But he is a 19 year old rookie making $850,000. Kovalev is a 35 year old supposed superstar who is suppose to lead this team and is making $4.5 Million. Kovalev had 18 goals. Latendresse had 16. Don't blame Latendresse

Jose Theodore was the superstar that pushed these average Montreal teams to the playoffs for over the last half decade.

Theodore was heavily overused, and now that he's been traded and is burned out in Colorado, the Habs see what life is like without an MVP Goalie.

The Habs are an average team at best. Theo was what made this team a playoff team over those years. He made them better than they seemed. The number of games he played at high levels was amazing, and unless he played perfect every game fans would still abuse him. Now, without him, the true results of this team's lack of talent shows through.

Anyways, I hope the Leafs don't make the playoffs. Maybe TSN can then pay attention to Canada's real athlete and sports team - Chris Bosh and The Raptors.

Burnt out? More like No steroids....... All these exuses are bullcrap. Heart and hunger is missing from this team. Blame whoever you want but untill we have some support for the few that try every night this is the type of hockey we will watch.

Ribiero, finally a voice of reason. Thanks for stepping up and telling the truth. This team has been brutal for years and ONLY goaltending saved these lazy slugs. Without Huet the first half they may have been 20 and 62.

To bad none of these guys would probably want to come to Montreal.

I doubt any of these guys would either. Maybe Briere as he is french. But remember Datsyuk just got almost $7 Million over 7 years. You wanna spend that kinda money on Briere?

Yeah thats right Latendresse didn't show up. But he is a 19 year old rookie making $850,000. Kovalev is a 35 year old supposed superstar who is suppose to lead this team and is making $4.5 Million. Kovalev had 18 goals. Latendresse had 16. Don't blame Latendresse

Not blaming Lats, but those same clowns game Lats credit for his "amazing play" all season long. So they could at least acknowledge that he sucked and has some learning to do.

The fact is, the only guys who showed up where higgins and Ryder. Koivu got some assists, but really, he wasn't that good.

Well what can I say. Wellwood gets tapped by a stick and faceplants to the ice. PP Toronto.

Not that I'm solely blaming the refs, but why is it that they ALWAYS have Toronto being a man up in intense situations..brutal...

Thanks Ryder and Higgins for showing up and giving their all.

Kovalev, I want to love ya, but he has no heart or effort out there. He simply doesn't care. Invisible once again when we need him most. This team has effort problems, they were terrible vs. Rangers, and terrible tonight. Why can't they get themselves up for huge games like these?

I'm at a loss for words, and living in Toronto, im not hearing the end of this one folks...

Worst coaching decision over last 5 games, habs PP inluded Latendresse and not Kostytsin.

And some people still defend Carbo???

I do! I don't remember Kostitsyn scoring lots of goals in PP, Latendresse too, but come on, Kovalev and koivu usually get 2 minute powerplays to themselves and can't even get a puck in the net. And not to forget that Kostitsyn played all match.

I'm going to have to blame this loss on only two things - the first being on poor goaltending and the second on a stretch of undisciplined play, namely Begin's useless penalty at the final second of the second period. I would have gone with Huet as well, but let's face it, had the goaltending been decent (like if Halak had been in net) we most likely we would have won. The same goes for Begin and his penalty. The guy had 6 hits in the first period which is incredible but almost single-handedly lost us the game in one moment.

If I were Carbo, I would have pulled Huet after the 4th goal, like the Leafs did with Raycroft.

Another thing I didn't like was Carbo using the young guys in the final minute. They may be outplaying the vets but this isn't their battle. Kovalev, Koivu, etc should have been out there. You gotta live and die with your best players. And they we don't liek to admit - Kovalev and Koivu are our best players (forwards anyway, I consider Markov our best player).

Ah well...

I'm going to have to blame this loss on only two things - the first being on poor goaltending and the second on a stretch of undisciplined play, namely Begin's useless penalty at the final second of the second period. I would have gone with Huet as well, but let's face it, had the goaltending been decent (like if Halak had been in net) we most likely we would have won. The same goes for Begin and his penalty. The guy had 6 hits in the first period which is incredible but almost single-handedly lost us the game in one moment.

If I were Carbo, I would have pulled Huet after the 4th goal, like the Leafs did with Raycroft.

Another thing I didn't like was Carbo using the young guys in the final minute. They may be outplaying the vets but this isn't their battle. Kovalev, Koivu, etc should have been out there. You gotta live and die with your best players. And they we don't liek to admit - Kovalev and Koivu are our best players (forwards anyway, I consider Markov our best player).

Ah well...

Yeah, I would have had Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Markov, and probably Pleks out there for the end. Toss in another Defenseman (Streit probably since Souray was injured), and go for it. Not sure that it would have mattered, they gave up after the leafs took the lead again.

I am still puzzled on why Perez was tossed into the lineup on the first line. Talk about destroying the chemistry. I would have put him on the 4th line, at least to start. Maybe the 3rd.

Ah well, what is done is done. The team sucks and was just going to get embarrassed by Buffalo in any case.

well of our forward lines, Streit was the only one who's spot was really up for grabs. And Streit can play D so it was convenient. I think putting him on the 4th and moving Begin (example) up to the 1st and then Streit to D would have been even more changes.

Poor Carbo... having to be criticized by a bunch of armchair GMs who couldn't even coach a team of table hockey.

Who didn't do is job? The coach who can't step on the ice to do anything; or the self-centered millionaires who only show up when they feel like it?

Give your head a shake people.