Game Thread | Toronto vs Montreal | FINAL SHOWDOWN | 07/05/07

Cataclaw

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Carbo... having to be criticized by a bunch of armchair GMs who couldn't even coach a team of table hockey.

Who didn't do is job? The coach who can't step on the ice to do anything; or the self-centered millionaires who only show up when they feel like it?

Give your head a shake people.

We maybe armchair GM's (don't you mean coaches?) but we watch and know hockey. I definitely dont blame him for starting Huet, but Perezhogin on the FIRST LINE?? He shouldnt be there on his best day, let alone coming off over a month of injury!!!

We dont deserve it because of the last 2 months of play. However, we lost last night because of a shitty first period.....and then the refs stepped in when we got it back. Unbelievable, yet totally predictable.

To all the ref blamers, which penalty on the Habs was not a penalty?

I have a novel idea, how about STOP taking stupid penalties. How amny minors did Koivu have this year, this has been a problem all year.

Why not Perez, he played fine, if your top forward is a defensemen from switzerland, you have alot more problems then coaching.

For all the Carbo bashers, i said it at the beginning of the year, he isn't going anywhere, it was time for the core to put up or shut up, obviously we have seen what the core is meda of, nothing. Next year will be full of youngsters and the team will struggle for the playoffs, however in 2 years look out.

I'm going to have to blame this loss on only two things - the first being on poor goaltending and the second on a stretch of undisciplined play, namely Begin's useless penalty at the final second of the second period. I would have gone with Huet as well, but let's face it, had the goaltending been decent (like if Halak had been in net) we most likely we would have won. The same goes for Begin and his penalty. The guy had 6 hits in the first period which is incredible but almost single-handedly lost us the game in one moment.

If I were Carbo, I would have pulled Huet after the 4th goal, like the Leafs did with Raycroft.

Another thing I didn't like was Carbo using the young guys in the final minute. They may be outplaying the vets but this isn't their battle. Kovalev, Koivu, etc should have been out there. You gotta live and die with your best players. And they we don't liek to admit - Kovalev and Koivu are our best players (forwards anyway, I consider Markov our best player).

Ah well...

I hate to do this and sound like a whiner, but here's what I feel is the truth... and what is to blame.

I have the game on dvd - recorded and saw the Begin-Wellwood thing live (and have watched it frame by frame a few times already)... here's my take as I believe this setup the rest of the game's 'mood'.

The buzzer (and ref's whistle) sounded (end of period 2) as Mats was facing the endboards, and then started turning turning around behind the net, he had no idea where KW was... KW was at the center of the face-off circle, gliding towards the net when this happened. Out of lack of professionalism, Mats almost 2 (about 50 frames @ 30 frames per second) seconds later after turning and spotting Wellwood, passed the puck to him...

If I am a defensive player, after the play is dead and see a player going to (a) shoot at my goalie who may not be prepared, or (B) run into him, again he may not be prepared, I'll put myself in position in any way possible, to stop and protect him, including a stick check... (a fist in the head is going to put me in the box, a cross-check will put me in the box, a shove may get me a roughing or instigator p, so what do I do???) Because it seemed so 'intense' during the last 20 seconds of the period, we forget that the Mats pass to Wellwood, was almost as late as the Thomas Kaberle hit. This would, as per the NHL Official rulebook be the equivalent as Mats or Wellwood trying to instigate as they easily heard the buzzer, heck I could on my TV and every other player on the ice has slowed to a glide... If the play had been a late shot while crossing the blue line it would be like the buzzer sounding as you hit centre ice but took your shot between the face-off circles? That wouldn't go over well with any defenseman. Even your goalie would probably go 'Hextall. But, the well mannered, just back from injury Huet, walked away, and didn't say a word, but tearing a strip from the ref's might have played out (in the penalty calls) different if he had approached the ref with a, "How long were you going to let them play, until I get hit for nothing?" The pass did hit off Wellwood's stick (great pass by Mats) and was on route to the net... watch it if you've got it recorded, the only thing that slowed it down was Begin's ugly defensive move... ugly, but necessary... what don't defend my goalie, ...okay....?

So with Mats or Wellwood in the box, Begin sitting would have been fair... But, but because of a quick call by the refs, not really thought out as to what fully happened, and the big gasp by the crowd, the game was toast.

I believe TO was hot in the first, not because they were great, but the habs didn't attack. I believe the habs were great in the second, because if they skate hard, they are a sharper team than the leafs. I believe that the leafs entering the 3rd a goal down, with the man-ad was just a ref-ing joke. Top that with two goals that were odd deflections or blooper of a habs stick, and the game was 5-3 Montreal. I'm not saying TO wouldn't have come back or put up some of the best hockey we've seen from them this year, but...

Bragging rights go to the Leafs for not losing, but definitely not for winning. The sub-standard and unwise effort of the black and white stole the game. I'd feel the same for any goalie on any team... in any league...

Better effort next year bleu, blanc, rouge...

GO :hlogo: GO! ...always,

J

@the guy who's name is too random to memorize:

Defending your teammates is one thing. Doing it by ruining your team's season is another.

Only one player was at fault here, the team didn't show up, SO HANG THE DAMN CAPTAIN.!!!! GIVES US A GOD DANG LEADER , HAVE FUN IN THE WORLDS YOU BUNCH OF LOSING SOLVIET/EUROPEANS!!!!!!

It is the Montreal CANADIANS not euros. BOB, PLEASE GET A CANADIAN LEADER FOR THIS TEAM NOW!!!!!!!!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I hate to do this and sound like a whiner, but here's what I feel is the truth... and what is to blame.

I have the game on dvd - recorded and saw the Begin-Wellwood thing live (and have watched it frame by frame a few times already)... here's my take as I believe this setup the rest of the game's 'mood'.

The buzzer (and ref's whistle) sounded (end of period 2) as Mats was facing the endboards, and then started turning turning around behind the net, he had no idea where KW was... KW was at the center of the face-off circle, gliding towards the net when this happened. Out of lack of professionalism, Mats almost 2 (about 50 frames @ 30 frames per second) seconds later after turning and spotting Wellwood, passed the puck to him...

If I am a defensive player, after the play is dead and see a player going to (a) shoot at my goalie who may not be prepared, or (B) run into him, again he may not be prepared, I'll put myself in position in any way possible, to stop and protect him, including a stick check... (a fist in the head is going to put me in the box, a cross-check will put me in the box, a shove may get me a roughing or instigator p, so what do I do???) Because it seemed so 'intense' during the last 20 seconds of the period, we forget that the Mats pass to Wellwood, was almost as late as the Thomas Kaberle hit. This would, as per the NHL Official rulebook be the equivalent as Mats or Wellwood trying to instigate as they easily heard the buzzer, heck I could on my TV and every other player on the ice has slowed to a glide... If the play had been a late shot while crossing the blue line it would be like the buzzer sounding as you hit centre ice but took your shot between the face-off circles? That wouldn't go over well with any defenseman. Even your goalie would probably go 'Hextall. But, the well mannered, just back from injury Huet, walked away, and didn't say a word, but tearing a strip from the ref's might have played out (in the penalty calls) different if he had approached the ref with a, "How long were you going to let them play, until I get hit for nothing?" The pass did hit off Wellwood's stick (great pass by Mats) and was on route to the net... watch it if you've got it recorded, the only thing that slowed it down was Begin's ugly defensive move... ugly, but necessary... what don't defend my goalie, ...okay....?

So with Mats or Wellwood in the box, Begin sitting would have been fair... But, but because of a quick call by the refs, not really thought out as to what fully happened, and the big gasp by the crowd, the game was toast.

I believe TO was hot in the first, not because they were great, but the habs didn't attack. I believe the habs were great in the second, because if they skate hard, they are a sharper team than the leafs. I believe that the leafs entering the 3rd a goal down, with the man-ad was just a ref-ing joke. Top that with two goals that were odd deflections or blooper of a habs stick, and the game was 5-3 Montreal. I'm not saying TO wouldn't have come back or put up some of the best hockey we've seen from them this year, but...

Bragging rights go to the Leafs for not losing, but definitely not for winning. The sub-standard and unwise effort of the black and white stole the game. I'd feel the same for any goalie on any team... in any league...

Better effort next year bleu, blanc, rouge...

GO :hlogo: GO! ...always,

J

100% with you on this. this is all Mats Sundin's fault. And for the high stick, Wellwood would normally get this stick on the chest if he was standing up, but it happenned that he was on a move to shot and his face was on the way. and for what the fu ck the blood came out ??? a 2 min penality would have been enough for this hit...

Um, high stick to the face, with blood 4 minutes. No other comments needed.

I don't remember seeing any blood on the ice during the play. The trainer came out, but I don't remember seeing him give Wellwood a towel for his face. If the blood came during the commercial, then fine, but there was none to be seen by the cameras before they went to commercial. And the penalty was recorded before the teams left the ice, so the ref didn't change his mind afterward.

Poor Carbo... having to be criticized by a bunch of armchair GMs who couldn't even coach a team of table hockey.

Who didn't do is job? The coach who can't step on the ice to do anything; or the self-centered millionaires who only show up when they feel like it?

Give your head a shake people.

Carbo's job is to at least recognize who the bums are and not put them out at critical stages of the game. Perez had not played in ages, why insert him in the last game on the first line? Is that not Carbo's decision? How about the lineup in the last couple of minutes?

As for my coaching skills, I suggest you have no idea who I am, or what level of hockey I have coached..... :P

Edited by brobin

I am still puzzled on why Perez was tossed into the lineup on the first line.

Perez only played 8 minutes, so it's not an issue. I think Carbo hoped that Perez would come out in fire after missing so many games. But he didn't, so he played only 8 minutes. Carbo's not to blame on that one.

He's a rookie coach. Be shure of 2 things:

1- Guy Carbonneau will be the head coach of the Canadiens next year

2- Carbo will learn from his mistakes and be a better coach next year

We didn't make it. We didn't deserve it. And, it shouldn't have come down to last night. Anyone recall me going ballistic vs. the Rag$. That's why. I knew it deep in my gut. Didn't want to admit it til now.

This year was possibly a darkhorse year. A darkhorse with potential. Missing the playoffs is rotting my gut for that reason. They weren't suppose to win but they had something possibly going nevertheless.

I hope it makes us all feel better knowing that we are ON THE RISE. That it wasn't really suppose to happen for us yet. I know that the day after losing that no one wants to hear about that. Problem is, as far as I'm concerned the "Carbo should have...Gainey didn't...Kovalev this...Samsonov that...Souray was...Halak should have...Huet didn't...etc." means nothing right now to me. It means nothing becasue the Canadiens currently exist as "NOTHING" in the scheme of the playoffs and the prize.

We're out and we were out 2 months ago. It's time to look ahead and hope for the Isles today. That'll make my monday at work better at least.

Don't worry. Trust in BOb. He'll take these broken wings, And learn to fly again, learn to live free. When we hear the voices sing. The book of love will open up and let us in, Take these broken wings...

BOb will fix it :hlogo:

i think last night was great, at least it show which player have the heart to what to win and that they are proud to wear the :hlogo: .like i said all season ryder is the best play we had in years, not the most complete player, but he earns his pay check and we be crazy not to lock this guy up for years.my hat off to higgins, he step up big..this team as alot of dead weight and its time for bob to bring in guys with big hearts, the first-second line next season should be ryder higgins and koviu..its time to bring in some new faces. We alot of young guys we can trade, because iam getting sick of rebuilding, we have a lot of good plays but we need great. Go get them bob..

GO HABS GO

Only one player was at fault here, the team didn't show up, SO HANG THE DAMN CAPTAIN.!!!! GIVES US A GOD DANG LEADER , HAVE FUN IN THE WORLDS YOU BUNCH OF LOSING SOLVIET/EUROPEANS!!!!!!

It is the Montreal CANADIANS not euros. BOB, PLEASE GET A CANADIAN LEADER FOR THIS TEAM NOW!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Don't worry. Trust in BOb. He'll take these broken wings, And learn to fly again, learn to live free. When we hear the voices sing. The book of love will open up and let us in, Take these broken wings...

BOb will fix it :hlogo:

Love the Mr. Mister quote, btw.

Love the Mr. Mister quote, btw.

Apr 8 2007, 07:16 PM -The song and the lyric came out of nowhere. I believe in Gainey and I believe in the Habs. They're only going to get stronger. 8 soph's or rooks? :D:D:D That youth ain't finished falling off of trees yet. :P:P:P To boot, regardless of all the mud that will be flung at him, we still have one of the greatest brains in rthe game. IMO, Burke or Lamorello might trump him. But, to be 3rd...? :?-

Anyone else in here want to nominate a better 3rd GM?

GAINEY WILL SHOW US THE WAY! :hockey: :hlogo:

Mr. Mister - Broken Wings:

Edit 2 days later: Surprised no mentioned Holland yet

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN