The Great Canadiens Gripe Thread

What will be different next year for us?

I say

1) No flu bug = 100pt season?

2) Halak Huet combo = same as above.

grrr? I can't think I am so pissed off...

we go from commanding the game at 5-3 and taking on all those penalties to let them score 3 unanswered goals...I am so pissed off...next year we better see a disciplined team...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the plane of the other 29 teams will blow up in the air we might be playoof bound. on the other hand, habs ahve showed us they can beat themselves.

Carbo was not ready to coach. He has communication problems and some of this team disunity falls at his feet. Not sure if I would fire him, it would depend on whether he learned from his mistakes or not...

Koivu gets a career high 75 points to lead the team. If that is our best player, we are not a top team anyway. That is what I would hope our 3rd or 4th best player would get. Sure hope Koivu is our 2nd line Center next year.

Ribs Trade... Didn't like it then, don't like it now. We got nothing for him. He is the top point getter on Dallas, playing 3rd line minutes. He was a plus player all season. Apparently, if he was a cancer in the dressing room, he was not the only one, because I have not seen any improvement in the team chemistry this year. We should have at least traded him for a decent player.

Souray.. well, a lot of people think he sucks, but he played hard all season and was our only consistent threat. Markov has a crap season based on the way we talk about him. Souray gave more then I expected from him. I wish him luck where ever he ends up next year.

Huet.. had a okay season. Sometimes he was great, sometimes crap. I don't think he is anything more then a good goalie, not a great goalie.

Kovalev... big fan of his up to this year, but if we could trade him, do it. He clearly doesn't have his heart in it

Lats.. well, some sparks of life, but he is a few years away from being worth the hype. Hope he gets to that level, he did great if you ignore the hype and treat him as a no-name rookie.

Sammy.. well... shame...

Overall, I am pretty disappointed in this team. I didn't have high hopes this season based on the lack of improvement up front, but the lack of effort was very surprising. This team could have been decent, but the poor coaching, lack of effort, and chemistry problems made decent on paper into embarrassing on the ice.

I sure hope Gainey can get some decent players to sign over the summer, but I can't see them wanting to come here.

and for the record.. the leafs beat the habs this season, regardless of whether the leafs make the playoffs. so next year when everyone talks about how much better the habs are then the leafs....

Team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs....therefore....season was failure.

Actually had Gainey traded Souray for a prospect and a pick I would have considered this season a success.

Now its nothing but failure and bitterness

Can someone give me some actual evidence that Carbo is a horrible Coach?

I'll go with this

1. He was i think 8 games over 500.

2. He basically had within 2 points of the last 5 coaches who played here. The core is the same. So are all those coaches bad? i think they arer all in the playoffs, although one got fired.

3. Benching veterans should have happened years ago, this team is lazy, soft and not very talented. Top 3 players over minus 70.OUCH.

All that isn't the coaches fault.

NO way this team is capable of 100 points.

This team has no heart. This team is not a playoff calibre team. Just look at the efforts against the Rangers and Leafs.

This team needs to rebuild around Higgins, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Lapierre, Latendresse and Markov.

Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonvo, Souray, Aebischer, Downey, Murray, BOnk, and Leighton should all be cut loose.

Find a new coach. I'd bring Julien back. Find a new GM.....not sure who might be available, but understandable Bob Gainey has lost his nerve.

Draft some defensman in the 2007 draft. Its where the team is lacking depth

Team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs....therefore....season was failure.

Actually had Gainey traded Souray for a prospect and a pick I would have considered this season a success.

Now its nothing but failure and bitterness

When I compare them to the leafs, i see one striking difference. The leafs went with a real coach, a guy who got the very most out of a fairly crappy team. Carbo has a lot to learn..

I'll go with this

2. He basically had within 2 points of the last 5 coaches who played here. The core is the same. So are all those coaches bad? i think they arer all in the playoffs, although one got fired.

3. Benching veterans should have happened years ago, this team is lazy, soft and not very talented. Top 3 players over minus 70.OUCH.

Its not all the coaches fault by any means. But some of the issues with the vets do come down to him. How many times did we hear "i guess I didn't communicate well " from Carbo after yet another vet was pissed at him.

How about the lines this year?

How about the failure to call timeouts when his team is collapsing?

How about his failure to get the best from his players, not the worse?

I firmly believe that if the coaches were switched tonight, the Habs win easy.

I'll go with this

The Habs were not 8 games over .500. They actually were 42-40 those OT losses are losses in my book.

It is irritating that they finish at 42-40 and finish behind a team that went 40-42.

Carbo failed as a coach in that they never played for 60 minutes. If they played hard for 60 every game they would be up there with Ottawa and Pittsburgh. They mailed in a ton of periods including 2 tonight and still almost won.

His failure to run with the youth and the benching of Rivet and Sammy were also poorly handled.

He may be good in the future, but he is very raw. If you flipped coaches on Toronto and Montreal I think you are talking 10-15 point difference.

Overall story of the season: Carbonneau is not a capable coach at the NHL level.

Drove that point home tonight at the end of that game when he kept rolling out the kids in the crucial dying minutes of the game. WTF!!! You don't put that situation on the backs of twenty year-olds!

Well the only point i'll argue with you on is that this team hasn't played 60 minutes for the last 5 coaches and that got all of them canned, so the common point there is the core.

The kids were the only ones playing hard.

Be honest, crappy goaltending by the Leafs is what made this game close, not the Habs playing well.

Well the only point i'll argue with you on is that this team hasn't played 60 minutes for the last 5 coaches and that got all of them canned, so the common point there is the core.

Be honest, crappy goaltending by the Leafs is what made this game close, not the Habs playing well.

I agree with that. Switch Kovalev, Bonk, or Johnson for Brindamour.... just imagine how he would fire the kids up...

This game turned on 2 lucky goals.

the Ryder goal woke the Habs up and then that flutter miracle changed the momentum right back.

What can you do?

The team deserved their fate. They did not work hard for 60 for the 82nd game this year.

That does fall on the coach.

Carbo will do better next year. It's silly to expect a rookie coach to pull miracles out of his ass, especially when that team is largely inconsistent. It's easy to criticise from the sidelines (as I've done, I'll be honest), but Carbo has potential to do a good job.

Wamsley, if you think 2 bad goals turned the game, you should pass whatever you were taking over this way. The Laefs destroyed them for 45 minutes. Crappy goaltending made it look better beleive me.

45 shots against in a playoff game?

The mighty Habs pressed the third for a whopping 5 shots.

They didn't work hard for 60 games is what cost them there fate, not the coach .

Overall story of the season: Carbonneau is not a capable coach at the NHL level.

Drove that point home tonight at the end of that game when he kept rolling out the kids in the crucial dying minutes of the game. WTF!!! You don't put that situation on the backs of twenty year-olds!

Winning is a process. Don't you think that by playing those young kids in crucial instances it will only benefit the Canadiens in the long run? For a couple of players (Lats, Laps, Kosty) this was their first taste of crunch time at the NHL level. Don't give them a shot and put all your hopes in a fairly weak veteran core and your not going to go anywhere this year, or even next year.

Honestly sometimes we need to look at the big picture as fans. Sure we can say this season was a failure points-wise, but we got a 20 goal season from Higgins, a 20 goal season from Plekanec, a 30 goal season from Ryder, Laps and Lats both showed us they are going to be legitimate NHLers (Lats' 16 goals as a 19 year old is phenomenal) and Kosty showed real potential for the first time. That doesn't even mention Price...

While in the standings the season wasn't a great success, i feel better about this year than last because i saw great development from our young players. Plus we won enough games to make the playoffs, the OTL has to go!

NO way this team is capable of 100 points.

This team has no heart. This team is not a playoff calibre team. Just look at the efforts against the Rangers and Leafs.

This team needs to rebuild around Higgins, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Lapierre, Latendresse and Markov.

Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonvo, Souray, Aebischer, Downey, Murray, BOnk, and Leighton should all be cut loose.

Find a new coach. I'd bring Julien back. Find a new GM.....not sure who might be available, but understandable Bob Gainey has lost his nerve.

Yeah lets get rid of Gainey, the one guy who has brought respactibility to this organization that had been lacking for a long, long time.

Wamsley, if you think 2 bad goals turned the game, you should pass whatever you were taking over this way. The Laefs destroyed them for 45 minutes. Crappy goaltending made it look better beleive me.

45 shots against in a playoff game?

The mighty Habs pressed the third for a whopping 5 shots.

They didn't work hard for 60 games is what cost them there fate, not the coach .

So you think if the Habs got through the second up 2 they would have given up 3 in the 3rd?

That goal broke the back. And the Habs were listless and dead until Raycroft handed them a gift that sparked an explosion. They did not play 60 and they lost, but take back 1 break for the Leafs and they may be getting ready for the Sabres this week.

The coach is responsible for the players work ethic. To say otherwise leaves Carbo with zero repsonsibilty.

Oh well, I am out. Be back to post a ###### YOU LEAFS when there season is over. Let's hope that is tomorrow afternoon :)

Edited by Wamsley01

Carbo was not ready to coach. He has communication problems and some of this team disunity falls at his feet. Not sure if I would fire him, it would depend on whether he learned from his mistakes or not...

Koivu gets a career high 75 points to lead the team. If that is our best player, we are not a top team anyway. That is what I would hope our 3rd or 4th best player would get. Sure hope Koivu is our 2nd line Center next year.

Ribs Trade... Didn't like it then, don't like it now. We got nothing for him. He is the top point getter on Dallas, playing 3rd line minutes. He was a plus player all season. Apparently, if he was a cancer in the dressing room, he was not the only one, because I have not seen any improvement in the team chemistry this year. We should have at least traded him for a decent player.

Souray.. well, a lot of people think he sucks, but he played hard all season and was our only consistent threat. Markov has a crap season based on the way we talk about him. Souray gave more then I expected from him. I wish him luck where ever he ends up next year.

Huet.. had a okay season. Sometimes he was great, sometimes crap. I don't think he is anything more then a good goalie, not a great goalie.

Kovalev... big fan of his up to this year, but if we could trade him, do it. He clearly doesn't have his heart in it

Lats.. well, some sparks of life, but he is a few years away from being worth the hype. Hope he gets to that level, he did great if you ignore the hype and treat him as a no-name rookie.

Sammy.. well... shame...

Overall, I am pretty disappointed in this team. I didn't have high hopes this season based on the lack of improvement up front, but the lack of effort was very surprising. This team could have been decent, but the poor coaching, lack of effort, and chemistry problems made decent on paper into embarrassing on the ice.

I sure hope Gainey can get some decent players to sign over the summer, but I can't see them wanting to come here.

and for the record.. the leafs beat the habs this season, regardless of whether the leafs make the playoffs. so next year when everyone talks about how much better the habs are then the leafs....

I completely agree with point number one. Carbo was hired as a motivator. I sensed that in the first part of the year. Then he started developing this ego problem. All I ever got from him was this idiotic smile everytime the habs were penalized either justly or unjustly. Then came the remark to the press he and Muller couldnt put on the skates. At the time the habs were in 4th place and he told them they were crap. Then he broke up the Koivu Higgins Ryder line. Then he benched Perezhogin the best +- on the team. Then he put the dynamic duo of Dandenault and Bouillon together and benched Ninimaa. Once Begin returned he played on every line. I don't even want to discuss the Samsonov disaster which Carbo holds a major responsibility for.

As well, I think Kovalev was right- Carbo favours french canadians players- skilled or unskilled.

The big problem Montreal has is defensively. They need a defenceman coach. Even Souray and Markov had big defensive lapses. They need a tactician that can let them play the trap when needed like tonight. I don't know what Muller and Jarvis do? neither one ever played defence in the NHL.

Edited by Strummerman

The season's subtiltle: Waiting for Kovalev :lol:

1. The plan with Carbonneau is to let him grow with the team. He made rookie mistakes, including alienating key players (Rivet, Samsonov). But he did go with youth down the stretch and his controversial decision to play the kids in the final minutes showed, to me, the overall philosophy of the organization, which is SCHOOL THE KIDS. Good. So: I certainly wouldn't fire him nor be enraged at him, but his learning curve DID cost us some points.

2. Huet is a transitional goalie, but a good one. I'm comfortable with him and Halak for next season.

3. Koivu IS the core and quite possibly one of the only veterans who will survive what I expect to be a low-level purge (Sammy, possibly Kovy, Bonk, Johnson, Souray...)

4. Gainey made a HUGE mistake in not dealing Souray. That is obvious and has been all along.

5. This is one of those 'weird seasons.' Something was fundamentally wrong with team chemistry and it never got fixed. I don't think we know exactly what happened; we may find out eventually - who was sleeping with whose wife, which key leader hated whom, etc.. This team WAS much more talented than their results showed. We could have been a legitimate dark horse, if we had shown character and will.

And that's why this is the most disappointing team since the 1992 habs. Such promise, pissed down the drain, for reasons nobody really comprehends.

Still, the optimist in me says that this was a KEY transitional year. Next season, no one will be waiting around for Kovalev or Samsonov to do their jobs. It will be the more experienced young players, the Plekanecs and Higgins and Komisareks, and Markopv, who will be asked to step up and lead. That won't make us contenders but it might well start to see us get stamped in the self-image of winners rather than losers.

But we'll also need UFA or trade help. I still think we'll go nowhere until we get a #1 C (Briere) but I would imagine that Gainey's first priority will be defence.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The first and third sentences make sense. But firing Gainey? The definition of stupid. So is dumping Koivu, too.

I think, though, we're already seeing the first idea happening. In that sense we may have just passed through THE key year of the rebuilding phase. Next season the young 'vets' (Pleks, Higgins, Markov, Latendresse even) will be asked to lead. No one will be waiting around anymore for Kovalev or Samsonov or some other shmuck to set the tone.

That won't automatically translate into a playoff spot, but it WILL make for a less nauseating season.

4. Gainey made a HUGE mistake in not dealing Souray. That is obvious and has been all along.

We probably wouldn't be discussing this game like we are now if Gainey did deal Souray.