UFA Poll

The-Habby2919

Which UFA will we sign?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be wearing the CH next year?

• Hannan
    • Briere
    • Drury
    • Zubrus
    • Somebody else who could help....
    • Some bum we'll likely end up with...

Let Souray go, sign Smyth at all costs (assuming he hasn't decided to stay in NYI). We want to keep Souray for a) PP Scoring, b- Leadership, c) Grit, d) experience

Here is what Smyth brings:

a) He may not break any PP scoring records, but he will go to the net and bang in tons of goals...and guess what, he will even be more defensively responsible than Souray!!

b- LEADERSHIP!! This guy single-handedly made the Oilers a cup-contender. He left, Oilers go on the worst losing streak in their history!

c) Do I need to talk about this guy's grit?

d) Same goes for experience...need I say anything?

Who would bring more to the habs? Sheldon or Ryan...gime a break, I like Souray but facts are facts!

Edited by cfposi

cfposi you are 100% correct but who knows if Smyth would want to come to Montreal and how long of a deal he wants. With the style he plays and his age he is bound to start getting injured and not be as effective. If he would sign a 2 year deal for 8-11 mill it would be amazing.

I'd love to see Gainey sign Ryan Smyth. After that, trade Kovalev for a draft pick to the Islanders. Sort of like a consolation prize for them. Kovalev maintains a home in NY anyway.

This would be the BEST!

that would be a dream come true.........Smyth for Kovalev (basically)

I also think that Horton or Jokanen might be on there way out of Florida (that team is going nowhere fast), I think that there is a deal to be made there

Jokinen or Selanne would be awesome. Let's get Saku a Finn that he plays well with on the national team and who's a good player on his own.

Let Souray go, sign Smyth at all costs (assuming he hasn't decided to stay in NYI). We want to keep Souray for a) PP Scoring, b- Leadership, c) Grit, d) experience

Here is what Smyth brings:

a) He may not break any PP scoring records, but he will go to the net and bang in tons of goals...and guess what, he will even be more defensively responsible than Souray!!

b- LEADERSHIP!! This guy single-handedly made the Oilers a cup-contender. He left, Oilers go on the worst losing streak in their history!

c) Do I need to talk about this guy's grit?

d) Same goes for experience...need I say anything?

Who would bring more to the habs? Sheldon or Ryan...gime a break, I like Souray but facts are facts!

I totally agree with you, but I only wish. Souray's great, but Smyth is everything you said above. Oh, and to mix threads a bit, if he was here, I'd definitely give him an A.

1.Scott Walker 2.Nik Antropov 3. Dainius Zubrus

I hope we can do better than that!! I'd rather have grabowski than zubrus.

I would love to have a smyth or a drury. they would both bring leadership and work ethics.

guys like higgins and latendresse would surely benefit of have such mentors on their team.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Gabovsky didn't seem ready, Zubrus would be a short-term replacement (so it's unlikely because I think he was looking for a 4 year deal). The big question is Lapierre. Will he be able to fill in for Bonk if we add another offensive center? If so, what happens to him when Chipchura is ready?

Lapierre will be with the Canadiens all season next year, he did a great job on the pk and will do fine in checking limited offensive role.

Zubrus is looking for around 4.5 million some sources said, his wife is from Montreal though but I would hate to have him back. I was never really a fan of his and his numbers are inflated from Ovechkin and Semin.

Chipchura will still be in Hamilton when the season starts next year but he may get a call up or two.

Would anyone be interested in bringing back no panic yanic for a short stint while we develop grabovsky a little more. He would be decent center points wise, wins key faceoffs and wouldnt be overly expensive.......I myself am not totally sold on the idea but it does intirgue me.

No one talks about Gomez but theys guys good and what we need.

Briere-small, skilled, is that what we need more of?

Drury- is higgins the next drury, very similar guys, a worthwhile pickup for sure

I think we should only address the needs we have, a number one center and a very good dman.

We dont need wingers, we have a lot of capable young guys there. Hannan would be my pick on defense, but there are some really good offensive defenseman out there who are a bit undersized who could make up for souray lost offence(im assuming he doesnt resign). Defense wins championships, if we could lure a Hannan or Timmonen, we wouldnt be in so much need for a top offensive catalyst. Markov needs help back there. Komi is a monster already

Would anyone be interested in bringing back no panic yanic for a short stint while we develop grabovsky a little more. He would be decent center points wise, wins key faceoffs and wouldnt be overly expensive.......I myself am not totally sold on the idea but it does intirgue me.

He would be a good plan C or D if we can't get one of the other bigger, more talented guys for the reasons you stated above. But he's still a small guy and not super skilled, so only a plan D or C, like i said.

The only guy that even remotely interests me at D (that we have mentioned) is Timmonen. I would love to have this guy but he isn't gonna hit the open market at all.

I could probably look up the list of UFA D but that sounds like alot of work right now lol.

Why does Briere - the obvious choice for UFA signing as a legitimate #1 C - get so little love around here? He so clearly fits the Habs' most pressing need, and he's French, and he's excellent...I can't understand why so many posts seem to dismiss him.

Why does Briere - the obvious choice for UFA signing as a legitimate #1 C - get so little love around here? He so clearly fits the Habs' most pressing need, and he's French, and he's excellent...I can't understand why so many posts seem to dismiss him.

because he's offensive and fits an offensive system (aka, one that plays an offensive system), and as much as the majority of our players are small, fast and skilled, Carbo's defensive approach doesn't capitalize on this at all, and as much as I'd love him to change taht, he won't, so Briere will get totally attacked for being a disappointment when he can't be offensive under Carbo's system. Also, he's small and we need to get bigger.

I like him, i just don't think it'll work. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd rather have Smyth or Drury, because I think they'd fit and I'd be proven right instead.

Just a year ago, I would have let myself indulged into thinking that most any UFAs

would come and play here,.....if the offers made to them respected their market price value.

Don Meehen's agent partner Bob Perno said that the likely players that would sign in Montreal in most circumstances would be '' veterans in the last segment of their carreers ,''..... like

Yannick Perreault has been the last two seasons.

Elite, steadfast and predictable players usually end-up having a choice of destinations once they get

to the UFA market,......they will look for the right money,.....a winning environment......where wife or personal reason could possibly play a certain part.

Right now Montreal is not a winning environment, missing qualification this spring cannot be hidden,

neither is the fact that Montreal failed to qualified 5 times in the last 8 seasons.

So keeping the bums aside, ( players that would take advantage of our precarious situation in order to

obtain more money than they could elsewhere, ex. Kovalev, Samsonov ) the potential candidate players

for Montreal would be, and only be, the ones who could have personal reasons to live and play here.

Of the unofficial list of names above, I only know one player that has pronounced himself favorable to play here if he was to be approached........Zubrus, ( wife-family, he likes MTL).

The only other player which I would speculate of possibly having a personal reason would be Briere, (because it might be meaningfull to him to live here and to play for the CH).

Of course Markov and Souray also belong to those few having a personal reason.

A pretty short list, but unless you tell me otherwise......the only realist list I know of.

Its a shame to be restricted from that source of improvement,.....all sources are important,

(draft,exchanges, etc), but there is no other single source that can rival its impact and immediacy

when successfully done.

Edited by PB

Ryan Smyth is my favorite player in the league right now. He would be amazing in a Habs jersey. His simple style and unbelieveable work ethic would fit right in to Gainey's vision of this team. Chris Drury would be incredible too. I know you will not see Briere on the team, and as I posted before, we would just bring him down. Our style is too different for him.

I'm willing to guess the Habs won't sign any forward UFAs though. I think Striet will replace Johnson, they will sign Bonk if they don't have to fight for it, ( Gainey already said he would not pursue them too hard) and we will sign some D men.

How about Rafalski and Hannan???

I wonder if the team could afford it?

Not if they plan on re-signing Souray and Markov. If they re-sign both, Rafalski alone would be too pricey.

I could handle letting Souray go and getting Markov, Hannan and Rafalski. We'd miss him on the powerplay, but there would definitley be a net improvement.

If we can re-sign Souray and Markov and then manage to bring in Hannan for 3.5-4M per season, that would be awesome. Shutdown d-men are essential in the playoffs, and having another guy to play with Komi would just be incredible. That would mean no Drury though.

I think Ryan Smith would be a key element that the CH is missing. This si the go to guy to be able to stay in front of the net and pickup rebounds.

However, Briere is really tempting, choices wont be easy and our ability to be able to catch one of the elite UFA next season is kinda dubious if you look at the history of the canadians. I've yet to see huge names that came to montreal. It seems like we're always the town that gets in the last straw but is only used as a way for the player agent to raise their salary offers.

Anyway, sorry for english mistakes.

For those of you that have seen the Rangers in action since the deadline, or have watched their playoff games....how great would Sean Avery look in a Habs uni? He goes to the net, he finishes plays....call him a 'poor man's Ryan Smyth'. Not that the Rangers would give him up...the guy has been incredible for them.

Edited by sbhatt

Avery? Hoo boy. I don't think anti-French racists are what the Habs need; and besides, he's one of those guys who plays to close to 'the edge' that he will inevitably implode. We've got enough distractions.

sbhatt, if Avery is a poor man's Ryan Smyth then we might as well go for Smyth who is a UFA this year.

sbhatt, if Avery is a poor man's Ryan Smyth then we might as well go for Smyth who is a UFA this year.

That'd be great, but I don't think we'll be able to afford him after we fill our more glaring needs, hence my looking at Avery as the 'poor man's Ryan Smyth'; once BG maneuvers for a center and shores up the blue line, the Habs will be that 'poor man'. :(