Who has just played their last game in a Canadiens uniform?

smon

Well, I read on TSN that he will have an operation to have the cataract in his eye (which was caused by the Williams high stick) removed this offseason, it was affecting his vision.

UFAs:

Niinimaa

Aebischer

Bonk

Johnson

Souray

Markov

Downey

RFAs:

Ryder

Higgins

Plekanec

Perezhogin

Komisarek

Gorges

Halak will replace Aebischer, and Gorges Niinimaa. Downey is already gone. That 3 guys less and almost 4 millions saved.

Souray should command a 5+ million salary. Markov should get a slight raise and Higgins, Plex and Komisarek are all up for a substantial raise. I'm thinking the latter 3 will eat up the money saved by letting Niinimaa and Aebischer go, getting each slightly less than 2M each (around 1.5, 1.7 each).

That leaves Bonk and Johnson. Both make about 4M together. Gainey will have to decide weither he signs them back or spends that money on Souray or another UFA.

There's still the Samsonov buyout (2/3rd of his 3.5 salary) that could give some more breathing room; but otherwise there's not that much latitude.

So the Habs might lose Niinimaa AND Souray, with Gorges being the one to get in the lineup. Makes it hard to dump Dandy or Bouillon since there's no one in line in Hamilton. O'Byrne is still one or two years away.

Up front, losing Bonk and Johnson would save money; but is Lapierre ready to be the go-to checking line center? And are Chipper/Grabs ready to make the jump to a full-time NHL job?

And all that talk about a #1 C... how do you get one? The Habs' best trade assets are our fundation; cant trade them. Youre left having to pawn off Koivu (not a great record), Kovalev (maybe finished) and Ryder (one-dimensional player). Not many chances you'll score a #1 C on the trade market with that.

As for Brière. He's the captain of the best team in the League right now. He won't get a better shot at the Cup than in Buffalo. He'd be crazy to sign elsewhere; unless Buffalo dont even try to sign him. Then Habs could be his #1 option; since we proved we could beat Buffalo and Briere might want to play agains the team that snubbed him. But that's all speculation now. You dont change a team with the UFA market.

RDS is apparently picking up a report that Saks is up for a new eye operation. Anyone else hear about that?

I would start a new thread but no link yet to confirm with.

Anyone else home who has heard this yet?

Saks always was supposed to have the surgery but wanted to play through it untill the end of this season. It really isn't new news. This was mentioned in September training camp. It's so funny he had a career season with a handicap so to speak. I hope Gainey brings in a first line center because Saku as a second line center would probably put up more points and have more room to do his thing.

So many people and fans on this forum really bag on him and I think they are completely crazy. Last year the Huricanes coach said they didn't really care about Kovalev it was Saku they worried about during the play-offs and I'll bet a million dollars that if we signed Gretzky , Leimeux and Crosby that at some point Saku would end up being on the first line anyway. It's just the way he plays.....he demands it. Kind of like Markov on defense. No crazy ass points but always a threat in many different ways we don't see but the guys on the ice do.

So please stop the bullshit talk of getting rid of Saku and let's fill these threads with pleads to gainey of bringing in a center to help our great captain so he can win a cup as the longest serving captain in the history of the Montreal Canadiens.

A good offseason for me:

Dump Kovalev and Samsonov.

Bring Souray for 4.5 million per (maybe 5 at a max, if we can't sign him i wouldn't mind seeing Schneider in a Habs uni again. )

Sign Johnson or Bonk if there is room.

I didn't mention Markov yet cuz he is a must.

Hopefully Bob has something up his sleeve in the way of the UFA market but thats not a must. The development of young players alone will improve our team for next year IMO.

I would have to say that I would hate to see Samsonov, Niinimaa and Aebischer in a Habs uni next year. I like aebi but we have alot better goaltenders who need ice time.

Im also gonna say i doubt we will see Souray in a habs uni next year. I love him when he has got that huge shot, but he makes so many defensive mistakes, it gets very annoying to watch.

And lastly, my hero, Kovalev i believe has played his last habs game :nono:

Everyone is exaggerating about the last game....

that game would have been won if it wasnt for colaiacovo or wtv his name is lucky goal, that is what completely demoralized the habs and did it for them. I saw the end of the game at that moment. Everyone felt it im sure. It's definitely sad to be beat by a shitty lucky goal! but toronto has always have more luck then us.

He will also try to bag that elusive #1 C - Briere being the obvious choice. Don't bet on him succeeding, though. If we do, God willing, sign a #1 C, then Bonk should go, replaced by Pleks. It's about saving money in a cap system.
No! No #1 C.. let's get a third #2 C. Better for the cap.

I'd be slightly worried that Koivu might want out. He lost his best friend Rivet and just might be sick of the endless stream of BS defacated upon his head by ignorant fans and an even more ignorant media. Ya know, even TO fans/media don't crap all over their best player - especially not one who's overcome as much adversity and come through in the clutch as much as Saks. Oh well.

in Hickey's article he says buying out Samsonov will cost $1.2M for the next two years??? I thought he only had 1 year left?

Get rid of:

-Samsanov

-Kovolev

-Bouillon

-Dandenault

-Bonk (if he can't signed for under $1.8M)

-Johnson (if he can't be signed for under $1.6M)

Allowed to walk:

-Souray (if he costs more then $5M - personally i don't think he is worth more then $4.5M but the market

price for D-men has gone totally out of wack)

-Aebishaer

-Ninnima

Replace with:

-True #1 Centre (Brierre, Gomez)

-Gritty winger who can consistantly score and is willing to pay the price by setting up shop in front of the net

(i'd love Smyth if he wasn't going to cost $6M)

-At least two quality d-men to replace the pathetic job Bouillon, Dandenault, Souray and Ninnima did

Lastly - sign Markov!!!! I'm also hoping there won't be a problem signing Price - can you imagine if he decided he wanted to go back in the draft!!!

I'd also like to see the Habs hire an experienced assistant coach. Last year they got Andy Murray as an advisor. In my mind he SHOULD have been the coach!!!! WHY, WHY, WHY, can't the habs ever hire an EXPERIENCED coacH?????? do we have to be the friggin training ground for rookie coaches??? I think Demers was the last experienced guy the habs have had.

Carbo needs help - obviosuly he is not ready yet -He may not be as bad as mario tremblay, but he isn't even Claude Ruel at this point either!!! They need someone who knows when it is time to make a goaltending change - not because the goalie is to blame, but just to change the momentum.

Edited by hab29RETIRED