Does Saku want out?

brboo

Taken from a TSN article about the Habs tough decisions in the off season

I hope he stays. We can't afford to lose him.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203518&hubname=

Some questioned the leadership of captain Saku Koivu, who had a career years with 22 goals and 75 points, and whether he would ask out of Montreal.

Koivu said no, but . . .

''I want to be back, there's no question about that,'' he said. ''But the reality is that we get older and how many years are in front of me, I don't know.

''I don't want to be part of a team that's going to rebuild and rebuild and not make the playoffs again. Hopefully, we can compete against the best and have a chance to win.''

I see no problem in what he said.

Koivu wants to be on a winning team and wants the Canadiens to win. He wants to see Gainey bring in some help and obviously wants the team to play a better style next season.

Koivu wants to be on a winning team and wants the Canadiens to win. He wants to see Gainey bring in some help and obviously wants the team to play a better style next season.

Then one has to wonder if Carbo will change the system. This team is built for speed. Not a defensive shutdown type game.

IF i were him, id want out at some point as well... we didnt make the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years. Thats sad and i feel bad for koivu.

Didn't we make it three times? I remember being eliminated by Carolina twice, and Tampa once. Funny thing is, all three of those teams made it to the Stanley Cup finals. Also, in the last two times, the team that eliminated Montreal actually won the Cup.

Let me say this: if Saku comes right out and bashes Carbonneau's idiotic system, and forces a change in policy, I will drop every complaint I've had about him up til this point and become a card-carrying member of the Saku Koivu fan club.

Didn't we make it three times? I remember being eliminated by Carolina twice, and Tampa once. Funny thing is, all three of those teams made it to the Stanley Cup finals. Also, in the last two times, the team that eliminated Montreal actually won the Cup.

I think you're right, it's on ly th 3rd time in 7 years.

not only the team that eliminated us went on to win the cup twice, the other one (2002 canes) went to the finals as well.

Then one has to wonder if Carbo will change the system. This team is built for speed. Not a defensive shutdown type game.

Yeah but the "speedy" players surely have a hard time being the first on the puck. How do you put together an offensive system when your players can't even win 1-on-1 battles for the puck?

That and the fact that the top 3 offensive leaders on our team were a collective -60... nothing to feel safe about.

Compare this team to what Buffalo was a bunch of years ago. Ruff was known as a "defensive" coach early but since last season he's suddenly an offensive coach. That's because now he's got the horses -- especially on D -- to open the game.

But I'm not too worried about that. All the new kids have shown a willingness to be reponsible in their zones. Higgins, Plex, Lapierre... all fine 2-way guys. Lats and Kosty are still raw defensively but they work at it. Problem is still on D where only Markov can really make good transition on a regular basis. If Gainey wants to turn this team around, he'll need to seriously rework the D to add another guy who can launch the offense on a regular basis. Tough choices.

Let me say this: if Saku comes right out and bashes Carbonneau's idiotic system, and forces a change in policy, I will drop every complaint I've had about him up til this point and become a card-carrying member of the Saku Koivu fan club.

Saku would retire or ask for a trade before doing that, he is the epitomy of class. Carbo had better either change his system or get the hell out, next year will decide his fate.

I wished he had commented about the importance of playing a better '' style '' but I dont read

that he did,....or have I missed something ?

I really hope Bob does something this summer to bring us out of the constant rebuilding phase (what has it been...14 years now?).

Brian Burke took the Ducks from brutal to contenders in two seasons. Can Gainey do the same?

Saku has every right to demand better of this franchise, we have been crap for a long time. Many people will say it is his fault but you are nuts, this guy is a serious player.

Reality.....Same old same old I think. Bob will sign one or two bottom feeders and resign most of our UFAs/RFAs while bringing up one guy from the minors to sit on the bench. Carbo will beat his chest and show everyone he is the boss and we will play Toronto on the last game of the season for 8th spot - AGAIN.

He is signed, he is getting very good money for what he should be a second line winger.

He is going nowhere except Montreal.

The obvious fact is that we need (again) a number 1 center.

That resolves his situation.

Yeah but the "speedy" players surely have a hard time being the first on the puck. How do you put together an offensive system when your players can't even win 1-on-1 battles for the puck?

That and the fact that the top 3 offensive leaders on our team were a collective -60... nothing to feel safe about.

Compare this team to what Buffalo was a bunch of years ago. Ruff was known as a "defensive" coach early but since last season he's suddenly an offensive coach. That's because now he's got the horses -- especially on D -- to open the game.

But I'm not too worried about that. All the new kids have shown a willingness to be reponsible in their zones. Higgins, Plex, Lapierre... all fine 2-way guys. Lats and Kosty are still raw defensively but they work at it. Problem is still on D where only Markov can really make good transition on a regular basis. If Gainey wants to turn this team around, he'll need to seriously rework the D to add another guy who can launch the offense on a regular basis. Tough choices.

We do need fast D to pull this off, because we have the fast forwards now.

I wished he had commented about the importance of playing a better '' style '' but I dont read

that he did,....or have I missed something ?

He could never make a comment like that. It would be a complete controversy. That's something that *MAYBE* he could say behind closed doors to Carbo and Gainey, but he's not the kind of guy to explicitly call out the coach like that... Way too classy. I'm not saying I disagree with it; I totally agree, but I just don't think Koivu would do it.

He is signed, he is getting very good money for what he should be a second line winger.

He is going nowhere except Montreal.

The obvious fact is that we need (again) a number 1 center.

That resolves his situation.

I wouldn't mind if he was still our first line center next season, if we'd addressed the D problem. I think we can make do with the forwards we had this year / those in the system and need to upgrade D. We'd be a better team than if we added another centre, but still had bad D.

How does every thread turn into a bash Carbo and his system thread?

If the players actually showed up for more then 20 minutes a night there wouldn't be a problem. The Habs for the first time in years actually scored in bunches.

The problem boiles down to a lack of work ethic by numerous players every night. How can they dominate 1 period of Carbo's system but they stand around for the other 2? Is that Carbo's system, i doubt it. The 3 coaches were all hard workers, they along with the last 5 coaches can't motivate these lazy slugs.

If Gainey wants to turn this team around, he'll need to seriously rework the D to add another guy who can launch the offense on a regular basis.

Couldn't agree more. We have the players up front to play an attacking style of game like the Sabres, but we have one good puck mover on D and people want Carbo to play firewagon hockey?

Question is, who can be that D man for the next couple of years? Am i dumb for thinking Schneider would be a great addition to the blueline, perhaps he would like to come and play for two of his former teammates? Is Emelin a guy who in the future could be great in that regard?

How does every thread turn into a bash Carbo and his system thread?

If the players actually showed up for more then 20 minutes a night there wouldn't be a problem. The Habs for the first time in years actually scored in bunches.

The problem boiles down to a lack of work ethic by numerous players every night. How can they dominate 1 period of Carbo's system but they stand around for the other 2? Is that Carbo's system, i doubt it. The 3 coaches were all hard workers, they along with the last 5 coaches can't motivate these lazy slugs.

Sorry I have to disagree here.

The prime example would be the 2nd last Rangers Canadiens game where the Habs won 6-4.

The first period Carbonneau obsessed with line matching getting bonk against Jagr and Lapierre against Shannahan. The Habs lost the first period 2-0 and were heavily out played.

The second period starts and Carbonneau rolls offensive lines shortening his bench playing Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn a lot more. What happens Habs score 5 consecutive goals.

Third period starts Habs have a three goal lead Carbonneau goes back to line matching and bang Rangers score 2 quick ones. Carbonneau plays a little more offensive again and the Rangers get caught tired and Streit scores.

But now we have an ultimatum (did I spell that right?). If we start off poorly next season, Koivu may request a trade at the deadline. What he's saying is that he wants to be in the playoffs, and doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team, even if that team is Montreal.

But now we have an ultimatum (did I spell that right?). If we start off poorly next season, Koivu may request a trade at the deadline. What he's saying is that he wants to be in the playoffs, and doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team, even if that team is Montreal.

I think provided that Bob sticks to "building", regardless of how we do, Saku won't request a trade. He's not the type to jump ship.

Gainey basically said that the habs aren't that far away, that he's committed to a championship and that he can give Saku the chance to win a Cup within the narrowing window of his career. If i were Saks, that'd go a long way.

If this keeps Bob from sitting on his hands at the draft and on the free agent market, and forcing too many kids into the lineup, I'm glad that Saku spoke up. I have no interest in watching a rebuilding team, just as Saku has no interest in playing for one.

Gainey not only said he would attack the free agent market but he also said he would consider trading picks/youth for current help. That should make Saku feel better.

Gainey not only said he would attack the free agent market but he also said he would consider trading picks/youth for current help. That should make Saku feel better.

how about trading michael ryder and maybe our 2nd rounder(or our later 1st rounder if necessary) for a bigger right winger ??. lets face it, if gainey gets koivu some help, it might relegate ryder on the second line and 2nd pp unit thus making him useless.