Goalie wearing the team captain's C

CorySchneider_6_300.jpg

Is that allowed? Never saw that before.

Cory Schneider ’04 Drafted by the Vancouver Canucks

June 26, 2004 -- Cory Schneider ’04, was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the National Hockey League entry draft on Saturday, June 26. The Andover goalie and team captain was the 26th overall selection in the draft and the fourth goalie taken.

used to be allowed in the NHL - I believe Bill Durnan was captain of the habs back in the day.

I see no reason why another league might not allow goalie captains. Anyways, everybody knows that andover sucks - GO EXETER :)

Edited by simonus

I believe Hainsworth also served as captain from the crease.

In the early years goalies were often given the 'C'

I've been a coach & manager for several years and as far as I know there is no rule in the CHA prohibiting a goalie from wearing the 'C'.... it's just not a very common occurrence though.

The reason for the change is becuase goalies can not cross centre ice. Sometimes the Captain needs to speak to an offical in the offensive zone. I believe this is the reason.

Also could be because of the length of the season and the fact that goalies never play all 82.

Edited by JMMR

The reason for the change is becuase goalies can not cross centre ice. Sometimes the Captain needs to speak to an offical in the offensive zone. I believe this is the reason.

Also could be because of the length of the season and the fact that goalies never play all 82.

That obviously limits access to an official, however I think the trend stopped before the rule was put in place regarding the centre ice line restriction. The second part of your post is probably more in line with the reasons, as well as the mobility aspect of a goalie moving back & forth from net to official to bench is a problem of sorts.

Edited by beliveau1

According to the IIHF Rulebook:

Section 2 - 201, 1. It is not permitted to appoint a goalkeeper, playing coach or manager as a captain or alternate captain.

Just checked the NHL rule book and it has the same stipulation.

Haven't got a current copy of the CHA rules so can't confirm it - probably the same though.

As a coach or manager, we never contemplated a goalie as a captain so I never really went in search of the rule for specific details - but it looks like I should have been more observant I guess :rolleyes::(